Apple sees tablet as one device shared by the whole family - WSJ

Comments

• Reply 81 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intense View Post

Holly Molly!

was WSJ supposed to share such info ?

I suppose that Apple and the WSJ have a good partnership. For sure Apple has "approved" this controlled leak, gaining again free adverstising. And for

WSJ it means more people read their newspapers...Its so easy and yet so hard..

Peter
  • Reply 82 of 124
    Like many others, I am unsure of how this tablet device would fit into my current pipeline of gadgets and media consumption.

The one thing I don't hear a lot of speculation about is any connection between this and the television itself via Apple TV - syncing for media and/or a way to get games onto the flat screen.
  • Reply 83 of 124
    Will there be some kind of live coverage of the event on Jan 27?
  • Reply 84 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

You will never have Flash on the iPhone, MaxIPad or any other device that Apple puts out as long as Steve Jobs is CEO.

Flash is pretty well entrenched today in e-learning, advertising, and video streaming. Not supporting it could be a problem, and since there are still problems with Safari support on some web sites it really needs Firefox as well. I think that with the right SDK's and streaming tech they could help diminish Flash's dominance, but that is for the future and is a battle that they may not be able to win in the long run if they cannot get the developers to switch from Flash.
  • Reply 85 of 124
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    In order to help folks stay on-topic, I've split out all the chatter about censoring on AI to its own thread.

Carry on...
  • Reply 86 of 124
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Imma not going to share mah Tablet
  • Reply 87 of 124
    Now that it seems Apple & Microsoft are bedfellows, perhaps we will see support for Silverlight on the iphone
  • Reply 88 of 124
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

In order to help folks stay on-topic, I've split out all the chatter about censoring on AI to its own thread.

Carry on...

Translation: in order to fuel the fire, ive censored the censoring argument. j/k

well done sir.
  • Reply 89 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ithink∴iam View Post

Now that it seems Apple & Microsoft are bedfellows, perhaps we will see support for Silverlight on the iphone

LOL ... BTW No Flash on the Tablet, obviously.
  • Reply 90 of 124
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

I just don't see this thing being a device you share with the family. Even if Apple intends it to be. We no longer live in the age of the family computer. We now live in the age of personal computers for everyone. Especially when we're talking about portable devices.

I totally agree. At $999, I see people buying these for everyone in their entire family.
  • Reply 91 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

Flash is pretty well entrenched today in e-learning, advertising, and video streaming. Not supporting it could be a problem, and since there are still problems with Safari support on some web sites it really needs Firefox as well. I think that with the right SDK's and streaming tech they could help diminish Flash's dominance, but that is for the future and is a battle that they may not be able to win in the long run if they cannot get the developers to switch from Flash.

I went for a recent Apple in Education course, and there's a lot of sales propaganda, of course, but there are several iPhone and iPod targeted platforms for e-Learning:

http://daap.uc.edu/mobilap/

http://blackboard.com/

I don't think Flash as an education/e-learning platform is that suitable. Either specific iPhone and iPod apps, or just make it all HTML+AJAX.

As for Advertising, well, that's a benefit not having Flash on the Tablet.

Video streaming though, can't argue with that, Flash is important.

Apple I believe will hold out as long as possible, but I think it's a reasonable task for Apple to work with Adobe to "sandbox" Flash as much as possible within the iPhone, iPod and Tablet platform. They could negotiate somehow. For example, built in safeguards and throttling if Flash is gobbling up too much CPU and battery on the iPhone, iPod, Tablet.

Apple is holding out as long as possible with regard to Flash.

I don't 100% agree with it, time for Apple and Adobe to get back to playing nice.

The Tablet could be an important platform for Adobe's e-Document/PDF workflow/software/etc *empire*
  • Reply 92 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I totally agree. At $999, I see people buying these for everyone in their entire family.

That's the price of a MacBook! I think $699 for 32GB with WiFi and $799 for 64GB with WiFi+3G. One of everyone in the family.
  • Reply 93 of 124
    "FINALLY! Someone else who can see the light... I originally watched the video posted on 9to5Mac's site and I had a similar response - anything related to Murdoch and his sleazy "news" empire stinks - sadly he's pulled the WSJ down to his Fox level. Very sad. What's most scary is that so few people on these forums have noticed."

I, for one, have no love of Murdoch's slant on the news... but... figures last month showed that the WSJ is now America's most purchased newspaper. So in tough media times, he is catering to a particular audience (rather like this website) and as a business model it is showing some potential (at least in terms of securing a dedicated readership).
  • Reply 94 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

On the 27th Steve Jobs will ride out on stage on a white unicorn while trumpeters proclaim his entrance. And on each arm will rest two mighty iTablet computers.

Upon seeing this incredible sight tech geeks in the crowd will scream while others faint.

Steve Ballmer, who was invited to the show, looks at the tablets and becomes so devastated that he spontaneously bursts into flames!

Bravo!
  • Reply 95 of 124
    I think that it should be called the Apple Slice. Drop the whole iThis iThat crap
  • Reply 96 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter_private View Post

Will there be some kind of live coverage of the event on Jan 27?

Gizmodo and Engadget will be doing live reporting but I doubt you will get to see a full video of the performance until later in the evening once Apple posts it on their site
  • Reply 97 of 124
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Apple, read my lips: NO BING

M$ maps suck!

I like the tablet idea though, if you don't over price it.
  • Reply 98 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

I just don't see this thing being a device you share with the family. Even if Apple intends it to be. We no longer live in the age of the family computer. We now live in the age of personal computers for everyone. Especially when we're talking about portable devices.

However if you're talking about a new system that allows people to share stuff between multiple tablets, that's another story. Like some kind of proximity system that can detect tablets near each other and pass files between them. Like passing a virtual piece of paper from one tablet to another by swiping it from one device to the one next to it. That would be very cool.

Still hoping for stylus support. But starting to doubt it.

Don't forget that Mac OS supports multiple accounts. One computer can have multiple users each with their own private account. If a "coffee table" shared tablet could recognize faces of family members it would be possible to automatically log into their individual account. Mom's bookmarks and emails would not be visible to Junior.

Also remember that OS X Leopard has built-in screen sharing. If they would enable this in the tablet you could view and control other computers on your WiFi network using the Tablet.

Those are interesting functionalities that are already programmed into OS X. All they must do is enable them.
  • Reply 99 of 124
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    This stuff about the family sharing and stickynote reminders sounds like its a mobile O2 Joggler to me. A family calendar organiser pad, marketed as the 'new fridge door'. http://yourfamily.o2.co.uk/o2familyjoggler
  • Reply 100 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

White unicorn with a black turtleneck?

I think that he-who-shall-not-be-named is baaaaaaack!