• Reply 42 of 63
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Fair queston. UK is not just Britain.

And Britain is not just one country
  • Reply 43 of 63
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Why, the colourful lands of the United Kingdom old chap.

United under the Union Jack.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And in which country was that in?

• Reply 44 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why, the colourful lands of the United Kingdom old chap.

United under the Union Jack.

So they didn't sell 50,000 units in one country like you claimed?
  • Reply 45 of 63
    For the purposes of the company selling them Vodafone UK considers the UK as one market apart from Northern Ireland which is serviced by Vodafone Eire.

The UK has one government, one Queen two currencies £ & €, one taxation system and for all intents and purposes may be considered as one country especially when compared to a market the size of the United States where Google and T-Mobile sold 20,000 HTC Nexus phones in a week.

The important part is:-

Vodafone UK Sells 50,000 iPhones During First Day

Source

Quote:

So they didn't sell 50,000 units in one country like you claimed?

• Reply 46 of 63
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

For the purposes of the company selling them Vodafone UK considers the UK as one market apart from Northern Ireland which is serviced by Vodafone Eire.

The UK has one government, one Queen two currencies £ & €, one taxation system and for all intents and purposes may be considered as one country especially when compared to a market the size of the United States where Google and T-Mobile sold 20,000 HTC Nexus phones in a week.

Source

Come to think of it, it makes no difference whether it was one country or three countries, or however you want to define "country." 50,000 the first day is 50,000 the first day, regardless of where they were sold.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

I always chuckle when I hear people talk about how "revolutionary" Google is or how much "brain power" they have working there, when in fact Google is nothing more than an advertising company. You would think they could find a better use for all of their "brain power".

That was revolutionary. They took some that seems obvious in retrospect that no one else was able to do and made it one of the biggest businesses in the world.

I think they should stick with services because they’re not doing the Android platform any favours by branding a phone with their name.

Quote:

Source

You’re wasting your time. He can’t understand how Wales, Scotland, N. Irelnad and Britain can be considered countries but also be considered a country when referred to as United Kingdom.
    country |ˈkəntrē| noun

• Nation with its own government, occupying a particular territory

United Kingdom (abbr.: UK)

• A country in western Europe that consists of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland; pop. 60,270,000; capital, London; language, English (official). Full name United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• Reply 48 of 63
    Quote:

I was always taught that if you were speaking English then you use the word Ireland, not Eire.

Quote:

The UK has one government, one Queen two currencies £ & ?, one taxation system and for all intents and purposes may be considered as one country especially when compared to a market the size of the United States where Google and T-Mobile sold 20,000 HTC Nexus phones in a week.

Actually, the countries that make up the UK also have their own governments.

And as many have already have already said, you are comparing a heavily advertised lauch compared to googles, "order it from our web site if you want", lauch.

oh, gee I just re-read you post, do they not teach geography in Australia?. The ? is not a currency in the UK, and if they have their way, never will be. The offical currency of the UK is the Pound Sterling, ie they have one Currency.
  • Reply 49 of 63
    Quote:

How can they be called Vodafone UK and not include Northern Ireland? They would be Vodafone Britian then wouldn't they?
  • Reply 50 of 63
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I was always taught that if you were speaking English then you use the word Ireland, not Eire.

And as many have already have already said, you are comparing a heavily advertised lauch compared to googles, "order it from our web site if you want", lauch.

oh, gee I just re-read you post, do they not teach geography in Australia?. The € is not a currency in the UK, and if they have their way, never will be. The offical currency of the UK is the Pound Sterling, ie they have one Currency.

Quote:

How can they be called Vodafone UK and not include Northern Ireland? They would be Vodafone Britian then wouldn't they?

Do have a point in belaboring this beyond just arguing because you think it's fun? The 50,000 phones sold is the relevant fact. Nothing else you're saying here has any bearing on that.

The iPhone is increasingly a global phone, with its (growing) US market share being outpaced by its growth in other countries. It matters less and less what, say, Verizon is doing.

I guess pretty soon we're going to start having to chide the bashers for their blinkered, US-centric perspective.
  • Reply 51 of 63
    Vodafone Eire uses Euro, hence the differentiation and Euro are accepted as currency in the UK.

50,000 iPhones sold by Vodafone UK in one day vs 20,000 Nexus sold in a week.

Quote:

oh, gee I just re-read you post, do they not teach geography in Australia?. The € is not a currency in the UK, and if they have their way, never will be. The offical currency of the UK is the Pound Sterling, ie they have one Currency.

Why is Apple called Apple when they don't sell fruit?

A company can call itself whatever it wants.

Quote:

• Reply 52 of 63
    Quote:

Vodafone Eire uses Euro, hence the differentiation and Euro are accepted as currency in the UK.

Vodafone Ireland uses Euro as it is an Irish registered company, their customers in Northern Ireland (if they are actually supported by Vodafone Ireland I don't know, I will have to beleive you on that one) will be billed in pounds. The UK does not use Euro, some people in the UK made choose to accept Euro but that doesn't make it an offical currency, not matter how you want to want to backtrack from your major mistake.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    Quote:

And if Northern Ireland is serviced by Vodafone Ireland then why does the Vodafone UK site have all the information for Northern Ireland, and Vodafone Ireland only have information about the ROI?
  • Reply 54 of 63
    The idiots really spew out in these types of posts. At times like this, I am ashamed to be a Mac fan, lest I should be included with the fanboy club.

I agree that Apple fanboys tend to be the most irritating.

Comparing Google to Microsoft? Ouch.

Very
  • Reply 55 of 63
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    I think AI is missing the big picture here. The Nexus One is a great phone, but it is also merely just a tool being used by Google to make sure Android phone development does not become stagnant like WinMo phone development did. By pushing the hardware envelope, they ensure that competitors (who are, incidentally, partners) HAVE to produce newer, better phones.

In sum, it doesn't really matter how many Nexus One's Google sells, what matters is that they are showing other Android phone makers how shit gets done.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Maybe Apple's product is just that good.

People continue to give credit to a company's product that others have tried to imitate unsuccessfully for two years now. Go complain to Apple and tell them to stop making everyone else look bad.

You're going to get a lot of iPhone fans around here. It's the nature of the site. Add to that the fact that another Android phone didn't quite make the cut, and what do you expect? The penalty for failure is harsh.

The problem I think a lot of people have with your definition of failure is that it is so heavily weighted in favour of the way Apple does things that by it's very definition, everything else is a failure. However, when companies copy what Apple have done, you'd be the first to criticise them for copying. As such, it invariably means you dub any competing product a failure, so you might as well just save your time, breath and trolling abilities for someone who gives a hoot about your obvious bias. Unless you can add something constructive or interesting, don't bother yourself as all you're doing is deliberately baiting people, which is against the rules.
  • Reply 57 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

I think AI is missing the big picture here. The Nexus One is a great phone, but it is also merely just a tool being used by Google to make sure Android phone development does not become stagnant like WinMo phone development did. By pushing the hardware envelope, they ensure that competitors (who are, incidentally, partners) HAVE to produce newer, better phones.

In sum, it doesn't really matter how many Nexus One's Google sells, what matters is that they are showing other Android phone makers how shit gets done.

Spot on, Mate.

Considering how Google doesn't advertise the phone at all, and it is being sold below cost, I see no reason to assume that Google desires for the Nexus One to sell.

One thing to note about the Nexus One is that it is not only the latest Android build, it also ensures that Google is responsible for seeding updates, so it should FORCE carriers/manufacturers to update their phones quickly.

There are plenty of Android phones released around September that STILL use 1.5 Unbelievable. These manufacturers/carriers need to get a spanking.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    homiehomie Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

There are plenty of Android phones released around September that STILL use 1.5 Unbelievable. These manufacturers/carriers need to get a spanking.

This is a HUGE reason I am dissatisfied with Android. If I had a 5 month old phone that had an old version of the operating system 2 months after I got it and there was still no update for me I would be totally pissed.

The over-the-air updates for my Pre are fantastic. It has come a very long way in 7 months.

To the person who asked about apps, there are about 1200 now and the quality is pretty good. There are a few I would like to have that aren't available yet. But they are working on it and the # of apps increases by 10-20 a day and accelerating.

Soon we will have Flash and Slingplayer built on flash. I would love to be able to use the camera or mic in apps and will soon. But it is a limitation of the early versions of the SDK. That is going away.

The platform is maturing quickly and we get a new update with new functionality every month.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    Homie, you, along with every Android phone owner (except the Nexus One) have every right to be indignant.

Read my thoughts about the Android quagmire here: http://blog.htcyou.com/2010/01/20/op...ates-in-chaos/

Even the Motorola Droid does not have 2.1 OTA yet.

Apple knows how to run a business well. I am glad that my computing future is in their hands. Otherwise, a thousand other PC manufacturers will screw things over. I am beginning to dislike Microsoft less and less, and the manufacturers more and more.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Goes back to what I said...The Nexus One should be a good kick in the pants to Android phone manufacturers who aren't pulling their weight.