Apple extends 27-in. iMac shipment delay to 3 weeks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) So people that hold shares in a company are not shareholders?

2) How many shares does one need to have before you would consider them shareholders?

3) Your arrogance in thinking that people who aren?t as heavily invested as others means they shouldn?t be as concerned about their investment is pathetic. I think that is a low, even for you.

It figures out of all the posts I had in this thread you would pick this one to reply too. Fairly typical for you.

By definition a shareholder is someone that owns shares in a company even if that is one share. However Apple fanbois put added

emotion into it. Kind of like what you are doing now.

Having worked for IBM now for 23 years I have owned Apple stock for a very long time. In fact I owned it before the iPod was released so a good deal of my stock was bought at about 9.33. Yet I have never called myself a shareholder. I simply say I own Apple stock.

You simply need to chill out or put me on ignore if your that sensitive.
  • Reply 42 of 75
    Current: PM G5 (Late 2005), iMac (late 2006)

Previous: LC 520, PM 7100, PM G3 Minitower, PM G4 Sawtooth

Ready to buy, Nehalem minimum.

Love the iMac i7, not buying one due to lack of matte screen.

Also not buying Mac Pro due to Xeon price/performance vs. desktop Nehalem. Whichever issue they fix first, I'll buy.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Prove it.

I can't do that, I promised not divulge a certain way and private information of Steve Jobs, let the man have his privacy, he's still in recovery for crying out loud.

It's enough that people steal his license plates.

However if you want you can contact MacMatte.com and ask him to confirm, he's the only one I shared the info with.

It's no big deal to get in touch with Steve, what's good is that he did bring back the matte option to at least the 15" MBP's, which a lot of people are grateful for.

Although I wish he would do something about that mismatched band around the monitor...make it black perhaps?
  • Reply 44 of 75
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I can't do that, I promised not divulge a certain way and private information of Steve Jobs, let the man have his privacy, he's still in recovery for crying out loud.

It's enough that people steal his license plates.

However if you want you can contact MacMatte and ask him to confirm, he's the only one I shared the info with.

It's no big deal to get in touch with Steve, what's good is that he did bring back the matte option to at least the 15" MBP's, which a lot of people are grateful for.

I have to ask. If you have the attention of Steve, why in the world would you waste everyone elses time with these off topic rants about matte screens here? it's not like anyone here can do anything about it, and I would guess that most people simply don't care to hear about it, time after time after time, especially on a topic that has nothing to do with it.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

...Don't listen to any of those holdouts saying that a matte screen is better. I ran the iMac27 next to a 23HD display, which looked so dull I couldn't take side-by-side photos (well I could and did- if exposed for the ACHD the iMac27 flares out, if exposed for the iMac27 the ACHD looks like it's switched off). Plus the 27-inch screen makes the 23-inch Cinema Display look TINY! With a tuner, the iMac27 is now my HDTV. Only comment is that the sound is very good as a PC, but it is reflected off the desktop, if you sit further away it sounds too quiet - plug the audio into your HiFi.

The glossy screens don't have the matte film that slightly fuzzes the image and therefore are clearer and sharper.

In a good location inside, the reflections and glare of glossy screens can be nearly eliminated.

Usually setting up a large screen Mac as a TV one will go about altering the environment to get the best theater-like viewing experience, like you have. This is not the case for everyone and every environment, with portables, impossible.

Brightly lit schools, offices and other places cause a problem with glossy screens and thus need another solution.

Reflection reduced glass might be a option, all the clarity, no glare or reflections. But it costs more money and Apple isn't paying for the quality glass, but we are paying the quality price.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I have to ask. If you have the attention of Steve, why in the world would you waste everyone elses time with these off topic rants about matte screens here? it's not like anyone here can do anything about it, and I would guess that most people simply don't care to hear about it, time after time after time, especially on a topic that has nothing to do with it.

He's talking through his binghole.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    Quote:

Ok, I LOL'd at that one. How often do we type LOL but never actually do it?
  • Reply 48 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

First off, the problem is glare and reflections on the glass screens, which can be solved if Apple chooses and enough people complain, which they do, I'm not alone.

It is on topic because the 27" iMac has the largest glare prone screen of any Apple product.

I doubt you can go to any computer post site and avoid the issue, it's that widespread.

So learn to deal with others problems with not being able to see the screen due to reflections, grow a heart and show some empathy.

And if you notice, it's you that jumped all over rebelmusik with your anti-rant, so what bug has crawled up your ass that your taking it out on the poor people who can't see their computer screens anymore huh?

On the ignore list you go. Bye.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

First off, the problem is glare and reflections on the glass screens, which can be solved if Apple chooses and enough people complain, which they do, I'm not alone.

It is on topic because the 27" iMac has the largest glare prone screen of any Apple product.

I doubt you can go to any computer post site and avoid the issue, it's that widespread.

So learn to deal with others problems with not being able to see the screen due to reflections, grow a heart and show some empathy.

Matte screens have nothing to do with the original topic of shipment delays. Yet another thread wasted with page after page of endless whining about lack of matte options. Why can you folks simply put a thread out there, ask the mods to sticky it, and cry on each others shoulders to your hearts content. Hell, if you have the ear of Jobs, go cry to him, and spare everyone else, because no one here can help you.

You can't seriously expect sympathy from the very group you're pissing off by flooding every thread with this off topic crap?
  • Reply 50 of 75
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Your high post count is misleading there solipsism, guess it doesn't equate to character quality.

I thought I was on your ignore list?

Guess you just can't stay away from a flame war huh?
  • Reply 51 of 75
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i bought an i7 on the 15th online at the apple store. kept looking at the Deliver By of Feb 4 and got sick of it.

Cancelled it, bought the i5 off of Amazon, saved $167 sales tax.... but I hope I don't get buyer's remorse for the i5 later... but I DO get it tomorrow (prime + 3.99 next day).... I probably should have waited... so conflicted.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It figures out of all the posts I had in this thread you would pick this one to reply too. Fairly typical for you.

By definition a shareholder is someone that owns shares in a company even if that is one share. However Apple fanbois put added

emotion into it. Kind of like what you are doing now.

Having worked for IBM now for 23 years I have owned Apple stock for a very long time. In fact I owned it before the iPod was released so a good deal of my stock was bought at about 9.33. Yet I have never called myself a shareholder. I simply say I own Apple stock.

You simply need to chill out or put me on ignore if your that sensitive.

Wow...get over yourself.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    Apple, please gives us a Blu-ray drive option and an OS upgrade to play the movies. TIA!
  • Reply 54 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The last time Apple had and issue like this with the iMac is was when the first gen ALU iMacs were released. I haven't seen this flickering issue but with my iMac the screen would flicker and then freeze and it turned out to be a firmware issue with the ATI 2600xt cards. Took Apple about four months to get the firmware issue resolved. Not sure if the GPU is the issue in this case.

The other issue is just poor design with the edge to edge glass with such a large screen. Makes it way too easy to chip or crack durning shipping.

my macbook pro sometimes flicker (usually when I'm using flash player)...
  • Reply 55 of 75
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

Apple, please gives us a Blu-ray drive option and an OS upgrade to play the movies. TIA!

BlueRay would be nice, but I'm afraid it's not coming because it's been cracked.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1457...?lsrc=rss_main

Also BlueRay DVD's are touchy, because of their fine lines, they tend to seem to develop unseen cracks. I had two die on me already.

I suspect SDXC cards (up to 2TB) will be a better choice, one can keep a entire movie collection in their shirt pocket and less mechanical wear and tear.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

As a design professional, what is the problem (as you see it) with the iMac design and structure?

(just curious)

Actually, I just want to make it clear, I really love the glossy screens for certain reasons, and for other reasons I don't. They just aren't designed with the design professional in mind. Which is okay, but design professionals typically use the mac OS (and as such are loyal to Apple products) so it would be nice to have a large screen that suits our optimal working conditions.

For the most part I don't want to participate in the glossy vs. matte debate; too much vindictiveness on both sides. But if you do a quick search on "glossy vs. mac" and "design professionals" you will probably find a good collection of articles and comments by people who share the same opinion as myself regarding the optimal working conditions for a designer.

I hope you understand my reluctance to participate in the conversation. If you're still curious, I suppose I can get into more details.

Thanks
  • Reply 57 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I've been lucky with all my Macs so far. Then again, I've ever only had three, including a PowerMac 6100/60 from July 1994 to June 2002. That thing was a rock. I miss it.

The 6100/60 ran about as fast as a rock too.

It's hard to believe anyone could have been happy with the performance and to have kept it for 8 years suggests you have the patience of Job.

I sold Macs back then and I actually felt sorry for my customers. Performance and quality were two things Apple didn't have much of in those days.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    21.5" imac here bought in october..

I have the yellow tinge issue bottom right screen..

im waiting to return it till they fix this problem..
  • Reply 59 of 75
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rebelmusik View Post

I know this story doesn't leave us with much (or any) indication that this is a mid-cycle update issue, but I do want to remind those reading this thread that there are plenty of Apple customers ? mostly design professionals like myself ? who are incredibly upset by the lack of matte option on the new iMacs. I don't wish for any bad fortune at Apple, but I am hopeful that their troubles with the newest generation iMacs cause them to re-evaluate its design and structure, and possibly re-instate a matte / anti-glare option for those who are willing to pay for it.

If you were an actual design professional, you'd have your working environment set up so that it wouldn't matter if the screen was matte or glossy.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    Yet another thread that's gone to hell on the account of the incessant whiners who can't have a matte screen. Enough, already. Let's focus Apple's efforts on fixing the product that actually exists.