iPod question and speaker recommendation?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey all,

I have been having trouble sleeping, have vertigo and bass and low frequencies are really bothering me.

I was going to buy a sound machine for white or pink noise but I figured maybe I would be better off buying an ipod nano and a speaker dock.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced speaker dock that sound good and also have a question:

Can I set an iPod so that one track plays constantly? If so will I hear a break between repititions?

I was going to download pink noise and white noise from itunes and keep it going all night long.

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I use a small desktop cd player, and made a cd from a white noise sound from itunes.

I used garage band to extend the white noise sound to about 75 minutes and faded in at beginning and out at end for about 6 seconds that way it is a very smooth and subtle transition as the cd player repeats the sound all night.

its a bit easier on the pocketbook for a cheap $30 player that gets used about 70 hours a week.

BTW, the white noise sound as fine on this as it does on my massive theatre system.

p.s. This works great for an infant or for a rock band guitar player that has tinitus from drummers that play like ham-fisted retard
  • Reply 2 of 5
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

I use a small desktop cd player, and made a cd from a white noise sound from itunes.

I used garage band to extend the white noise sound to about 75 minutes and faded in at beginning and out at end for about 6 seconds that way it is a very smooth and subtle transition as the cd player repeats the sound all night.

its a bit easier on the pocketbook for a cheap $30 player that gets used about 70 hours a week.

BTW, the white noise sound as fine on this as it does on my massive theatre system.

p.s. This works great for an infant or for a rock band guitar player that has tinitus from drummers that play like ham-fisted retard

Thanks for the info. Is there a way to keep it going without the fades?

Which white noise did you download, there are more than I thought there'd be. Now that you mention it I think I have a portable CD Player somewhere-I will look for it.

Have you ever tried pink noise?

Thanks again
  • Reply 3 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    There are a number of flavors of looping noise tracks on the iTunes Store (just search for "White Noise").

I prefer "Brown Noise" because it's biased toward the lower frequencies and sounds more like surf than bacon sizzling in a pan.

You can loop these tracks on your iPod pretty seamlessly (repeat-all), so you shouldn't have to pay more than a buck or two to find something that works for you. However, the quality of the playback is pretty important-- cheap iPod dock speakers will emphasize the mid and highs and make things a little "shrill", which isn't that conducive for sleep. There are some excellent iPod centric playback systems, but they go for several hundred dollars and up-- which is why I was asking about your budget.

At the very least you should try to find something that at least takes a stab at reproducing some lower frequency, since that's a component of any real "noise."
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

There are a number of flavors of looping noise tracks on the iTunes Store (just search for "White Noise").

I prefer "Brown Noise" because it's biased toward the lower frequencies and sounds more like surf than bacon sizzling in a pan.

You can loop these tracks on your iPod pretty seamlessly (repeat-all), so you shouldn't have to pay more than a buck or two to find something that works for you. However, the quality of the playback is pretty important-- cheap iPod dock speakers will emphasize the mid and highs and make things a little "shrill", which isn't that conducive for sleep. There are some excellent iPod centric playback systems, but they go for several hundred dollars and up-- which is why I was asking about your budget.

At the very least you should try to find something that at least takes a stab at reproducing some lower frequency, since that's a component of any real "noise."

Any speakerdock that you recommend?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carvercasey View Post

I am an avid fan of iPhone due to its fantastic appeal and very impressive features.Sometimes I wonder why other vendors like to make iPhone killer rather than trying for making a good smart phone without any comparison.I always find fun when people think that this mobile will definitely be an iPhone killer.I believe that there will never be an iPhone killer.What you think the lovers and hatters of iPhone?

Methinks you got the wrong thread