I can't send a message on iChat

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Whenever I open iChat on my account, it seems to work fine but once I try and send a message to someone iChat freezes and the spinning ball comes up. I only have two accounts on this computer (iMac G5): mine and the guest account, and iChat works fine on the guest account. I have already tried and restarted my computer twice, but it doesn't help at all. I am having no problems with any other programs.

Please help!

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Hi,

Although you have not given which OS you are using ill give u a fix for it. Since it works fine in the guest user all you need to do is to move the following files to Trash:-

username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChat.plist

username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChatAgent.plist

username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChat.AIM.plist

username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChat.Subnet.plist

where username is the user account that you use, which can be accessed by clicking the Finder icon on the Dock.

Log out of the user and log back in. It will ask you to configure iChat again which would require you to enter the AIM ID and Password again.

If this does not work by any chance then we may be facing a complex problem and i would need to know the OS version then tell you accordingly..!!

Hope this fixes the issue..!!

yo_applefreak
  • Reply 2 of 2
    hey... i have the same problem... i already deleted those files... and cant do nothing... cant add buddies... no nothing...

i have a mac os x version 10.5.8

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yo_applefreak View Post

Hi,

Although you have not given which OS you are using ill give u a fix for it. Since it works fine in the guest user all you need to do is to move the following files to Trash:-

username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChat.plist

username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChatAgent.plist

username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChat.AIM.plist

username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChat.Subnet.plist

where username is the user account that you use, which can be accessed by clicking the Finder icon on the Dock.

Log out of the user and log back in. It will ask you to configure iChat again which would require you to enter the AIM ID and Password again.

If this does not work by any chance then we may be facing a complex problem and i would need to know the OS version then tell you accordingly..!!

Hope this fixes the issue..!!

yo_applefreak