Verizon, AT&T in 11th hour talks for CDMA, GSM Apple tablets - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple is still ironing out last-minute details with both Verizon and AT&T about supporting its forthcoming tablet, and may offer two different versions designed specifically for each carrier.

With less than a week remaining before Apple's January 27 event, a report has surfaced claiming that Apple is still in the process of negotiating carrier details with rivals AT&T and Verizon over support for its much-rumored tablet device.

Complicating matters, AT&T and Verizon use differing networks to communicate - AT&T uses the GSM network while Verizon utilizes CDMA. According to Clayton Morris at Fox News, Apple plans on offering two versions of the device, each made to run on one of the network standards.

"According to a source at Verizon, Apple has been in talks with 'the big red map' to offer the tablet on its robust CDMA network. Additionally Verizon is in talks with Apple to bring the iPhone to its network by late spring or early summer, but specifics haven't yet been finalized," Morris writes.

"The company's version of the tablet will feature built-in Wi-Fi utilizing Verizon's hotspots for free data; the device will switch onto the 3G cellular network when it's away from a hotspot.Â*This makes it easy and safe to connect to trusted Wi-Fi servers, and you'll get a line-item for that data service on your cell bill.Â*Basically you won't need a home data modem service anymore," continues Morris.

In a report by AppleInsider earlier Thursday, it was noted that other people with proven track records in predicting Apple's future product designs have recently commented on prototypes of the Apple tablet making the rounds with a baseband chip compatible with CDMA networks like those operated by U.S.-based Verzion Wireless. However, AppleInsider cannot confirm with any degree of certainty that this technology is planned for the shipping version of the product.

Apple has also been reportedly in "secret" last-minute talks with the six largest trade publishers in the U.S. The talks are currently underway in New York. A deal may not be able to be reached in time for the unveiling, something that Morris says could also be the case with Apple's talks with AT&T and Verizon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    I look forward to having Apple devices (iPhone, Tablet) on the Verizon Wireless network. AT&T is unable to deliver on its promises ... iPhone tethering surely comes to mind.

I doubt that Apple would have a Tablet device that would work on both networks.
  • Reply 2 of 98
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    Please, Apple, have a communication chip inside it so it will work with either AT&T or Verizon, without the need to buy a carrier specific model of the tablet.
  • Reply 3 of 98
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

"The company's version of the tablet will feature built-in Wi-Fi utilizing Verizon's hotspots for free data; the device will switch onto the 3G cellular network when it's away from a hotspot.*This makes it easy and safe to connect to trusted Wi-Fi servers, and you'll get a line-item for that data service on your cell bill.*Basically you won't need a home data modem service anymore," continues Morris.

This can't be good.

Things that are free tend not to stay that way, just long enough to corner the market.

And people are not going to go for a second cell phone bill in addition to their iPhone.

So I suspect this is a bigger iPhone and a much bigger iPod Touch/iSlate.
  • Reply 4 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Basically you won't need a home data modem service anymore," continues Morris.

Please clarify.
  • Reply 5 of 98
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

I look forward to having Apple devices (iPhone, Tablet) on the Verizon Wireless network. AT&T is unable to deliver on its promises ... iPhone tethering surely comes to mind.

How soon would one guess if/when the iPhone is available to Verizon, will Verizon offer tethering? \
  • Reply 6 of 98
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuzog View Post

Please clarify.

I assume the guy thinks I would drop my 120 Mbit/s cable modem, once I can receive crappy latent 3G (as long as I stay close enough to a window)... Sounds like a plan
  • Reply 7 of 98
    If there IS a AT&T version, I cringe at how much worse my iphone experience will be with the added demands on the network.
  • Reply 8 of 98
    Verizon covers 85% of the USA with 3G towers.

AT&T covers 17% of the country.

(Yes... 5 *TIMES* difference.)

Gee... I wonder if Apple will sell more Verizon-Tablets... or AT&T-Tablets.
  • Reply 9 of 98
    This insanity is AWESOME. I vote bring back the "Temporary Insanity" forum. LOVE IT!
  • Reply 10 of 98
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    3G to tablet ... that's awesome ... yet, wouldn't that overload the networks more ?
  • Reply 11 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

This can't be good.

Things that are free tend not to stay that way, just long enough to corner the market.

And people are not going to go for a second cell phone bill in addition to their iPhone.

So I suspect this is a bigger iPhone and a much bigger iPod Touch/iSlate.

Very good points.
  • Reply 12 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TammyT View Post

Tower coverage can?t be used to determine the nationwide sales. If it could then AT&T wouldn?t be close to Verizon in subs. I have excellent access to AT&T towers with speeds that Verizon can?t match and without usage capping so I?ll be sticking with a 3GSM carrier. Plus, I won?t be able to use it when not in the US.
  • Reply 13 of 98
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Yeah, I really doubt the 3G modem will be included at all. Because it's such a data hog, plans would have to be prohibitively expensive for the carriers to seemingly justify the expense of the device on their network. But somehow Europe's providers can manage in Europe to cover the continent for $20 a month, plus give you landline internet. I call shenanigans on the telcos, but the FCC got its kness cut, so I guess the market is unregulated? Sounds like a plan to start ripping people off...
  • Reply 14 of 98
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuzog View Post

Please clarify.

I'm wondering the same. If this is an actual computer then it makes sense. From all reports, this still needs to be synced to a Mac which will need a wi-fi connection. I don't get that.
  • Reply 15 of 98
    I am still skeptical about Verizon being part of the deal off-the-bat. Maybe in 2011, but not right away. There are still too many issues: the App Store (Verizon's versus Apple's), the bad blood (put-down Droid ads, sophomoric 'beauty-queen' swipes, etc), CDMA being (largely) US-only etc.

On top of that, I'll bet Apple is probably not looking to sell more than a couple of million of these in the first year (supply lock-ins), a feat they can quite easily achieve with just ATT.

ATT has to be improving its network as we speak (and they have another few months to invest further), and I suspect tethering plans will be announced by ATT for both the Mac Touch/iSlate and the iPhone when Jobs takes the stage next week. In addition, I suspect that there will be one voice/data plan covering both products.
  • Reply 16 of 98
    seriously. i don't think verizon will allow to do anything like tethering.. you ever see their phone. a lot of phone can't use bluetooth send out pic or whatever. it restrict everything to their paid service. GSM carrier mostly open more option to customer than CDMA carrier
  • Reply 17 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Very good points.

He concludes that they must be large phones and iPods because an option for cellular data is rumoured. How are those good points?

They sell netbooks with 3G cards built in and they sell 3G USB and 3G EC/34 cards for PCs. All those customers likely have a phone, too.

This device needs to have offer BOTH options to work as not everyone will be happy with just WiFi connectivity and users like me won?t be interested if there isn?t an option for cellular data access.

This will not simply be a larger phone or iPod. That makes no sense.
  • Reply 18 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I'm wondering the same. If this is an actual computer then it makes sense. From all reports, this still needs to be synced to a Mac which will need a wi-fi connection. I don't get that.

It will be an actual computer but I can?t see it running a desktop OS. It seems like it will be an accessory device to your PC, not a device to replace your PC.
  • Reply 19 of 98
    The reporter's source is either confused or flat wrong. I say "confused," if he's getting the tablet and iPhone mixed up. It's one thing to release a cell phone for the CDMA network.

It's quite another thing to release 2 separate tablet computers. Why would I, the consumer, spend $600 - $999 for a tablet that prevents me from switching networks in the future? A tablet isn't meant to be somewhat "disposable" (replaceable?) like a phone.

Essentially, you'll have to choose between AT&T and Verizon at the time of purchase. Right now that seems like an easy decision, but what if ATT offers superior (or cheaper) service in a year to stay competitive?
  • Reply 20 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TammyT View Post

ATT's 3G covers 97% of the population....who cares if they don't cover some remote mountain out west.

With ATT, you get access to over 20,000 free wifi hotspots, faster 3G, and a plan to make it even faster before 4G takes root.