Google fights Flash, adds HTML5 support for YouTube videos in Safari

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
  • Reply 22 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Taking all bets on how long before Mozilla supports H.264 in Firefox. I’m guessing it will happen sometime in 2010. Lets go with August/September.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

The MLB.com At Bat app has been using HTML5 to stream video since last summer.

The http://iphone.akamai.com/ site has a lot of great demos. (Note: the demos only works on the iPhone, even when using the iPhone User Agent in Mac OS X Safari)
  • Reply 23 of 100
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Hoorah!! Love it..

Was it just me or was the link to opt in kind of hidden?? I only found it through the link in this article..
  • Reply 24 of 100
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Has anyone gotten this to work with the beta Chrome? I still get flash adds, not HTML5. Works fine in Safari though,.
  • Reply 25 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Has anyone gotten this to work with the beta Chrome? I still get flash adds, not HTML5. Works fine in Safari though,.

When you right click on the page does it say About Chrome Frame?
    edit: Chrome Frame will not always be used in IE by default. Here is a script to always use Chrome Frame instead of IE’s Trident.
    Or you can edit the Registry manually…
    1) Access Registry Editor

2) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Google\\ChromeFrame

3) Under this key, create a new key OptInUrls. Now create a new String value and set its name to *
  • Reply 26 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Oh yea, Flash has these "supercookies" which cannot be deleted by normal means.

So another strike against Flash.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/...s-think-again/

They are deletable by normal means, you just have to go to both of these locations:

~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/#SharedObjects

~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/

The files (or in the case of the first one there will be another folder) are the flash cookies. Put them in your recycle bin and empty it. Thats all you need to do.

More informations: http://osxdaily.com/2009/11/13/delete-flash-cookies/

EDIT: For those new to the Mac, ~ stands for your Home folder
  • Reply 27 of 100
    Adobe couldn't be happy about this.
  • Reply 28 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When you right click on the page does it say About Chrome Frame?

edit: Chrome Frame will not always be used in IE by default. Here is a script to always use Chrome Frame instead of IE?s Trident.
    Or you can edit the Registry manually?
    1) Access Registry Editor

2) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Google\\ChromeFrame

3) Under this key, create a new key OptInUrls. Now create a new String value and set its name to *

I'm talking about Chrome in OS X, not Windows.
  • Reply 29 of 100
    Quote:

I'm talking about Chrome in OS X, not Windows.

My bad, I figured it was a Chrome Frame issue since I?ve been hearing about that as an issue with this for 2 days now.

When you go to http://www.youtube.com/html5 does it say join or leave the HTML5 Beta?
  • Reply 30 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Thanks for your reply. I'd welcome the opportunity to discuss the finer points in the Flash vs. HTML5 debate but in your case, if you are going to react in such an emotional uniformed illogical manner that would clearly be impossible.

This is an Apple forum, so reacting in an emotional uniformed illogical manner is par for the course. ZOMG!!! M$ Windoze, Apple is right about everything!!! Thank you sir may I have another!! We've always been at war with East Asia!
  • Reply 31 of 100
    Quote:

If you use Safari, then Click to Flash is the way to go. Flash is good for other things besides video and ads. More options are better than fewer so deleting Flash simply as a protest against Adobe is the classic case of cutting off nose to spite the face. I wish I could show you the very cool applications we have done in the medical research field. But instead I always point to Google's stock market finance application. Until someone can replicate that in HTML5, 6 or whatever, there is nothing that can replace the more advanced features set of Actionscript 3.

Quote:

Thanks for your reply. I'd welcome the opportunity to discuss the finer points in the Flash vs. HTML5 debate but in your case, if you are going to react in such an emotional uniformed illogical manner that would clearly be impossible.

Dude, relax. How can you say that to me, I was just stating an opinion. WOW.
  • Reply 32 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My bad, I figured it was a Chrome Frame issue since I’ve been hearing about that as an issue with this for 2 days now.

When you go to http://www.youtube.com/html5 does it say join or leave the HTML5 Beta?

I get Flash with either setting oddly enough. With firefox you get a message that there is no codec support, but with the OS X beta for Google Chrome, you just get the same old flash.
  • Reply 33 of 100
    Quote:

I get Flash with either setting oddly enough. With firefox you get a message that there is no codec support, but with the OS X beta for Google Chrome, you just get the same old flash.

It's dependent on the video. It's not spread across every page yet so most videos still come up with Flash.

Also it depends on the video uploaded. Video format being uploaded will affect usage as well as the videos that do work are only H.264 videos, anything else isn't supported.
  • Reply 34 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

It's dependent on the video. It's not spread across every page yet so most videos still come up with Flash.

Also it depends on the video uploaded. Video format being uploaded will affect usage as well as the videos that do work are only H.264 videos, anything else isn't supported.

No, I verified the video was already working with HTML5 via Safari.
  • Reply 35 of 100
    Apparently the update function on the build of Chrome I had wasn't working. I manually went out and looked for a recent update and it works fine.
  • Reply 36 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

YES!!!!!! Finallly flash is the worst video playback program ever made in the history of the universe. If we can move the web away from it I would be greatful. I think even MS Silverlight is better then Flash. I will switch over as soon as possible, and will be anxiousely waiting for the FF version.

Flash eats away at my macbooks battery. I would have a 90% battery, and after watching a 10 minute youtube clip I would be down to 77%. (I can watch a 40 min video in VLC and be down to about the same battery percentage. Not to metion Google maps street view, which can kill off my macbook in 30 minutes. I don't know if this is as bad on windows, I think its not as bad, my macbook just can't handle flash.

Adobe is a piece of work, for years they've neglected properly optimizing Flash to run on Macs. I say good ridance, native browser support in HTML5 is just what the doctor ordered, no more buggy, laggy, jittery, poorly coded junkware.
  • Reply 37 of 100
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Vimeo is also releasing the beta of its HTML5 player. I like Vimeo much better than YouTube. The quality of the content as well as the quality of the video is far better. Full screen Youtube video looks like shite. Full screen Vimeo is far superior.

Try our new HTML5 player!
  • Reply 38 of 100
    Quote:

(snip) ...but instead I always point to Google's stock market finance application. Until someone can replicate that in HTML5, 6 or whatever, there is nothing that can replace the more advanced features set of Actionscript 3.

That's not a bad app, and if well written Flash apps can be very clever - but I just pushed some graphs around in that Google app and my poor Air's processor usage shot up to 50%. I mean, come on. There's no need for that.

NME Radio's music player totally crashes my Air after about 20 minutes of playback; memory usage suddenly goes through the roof and the machine becomes all but unusable.

I have no inherent dislike of Flash per-se, but I'm just not going to use a product that is such a dirty resource hog. I use ClickToFlash and only enable individual Flash items when absolutely necessary.
  • Reply 39 of 100
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its really the other way around Firefox doesn't support h.264 video tags. They need to get with the program or get left behind.

Firefox lost this battle before it was even begun. H.264 is so far ahead of the game its futile to fight against it.

I agree we don't want technology dominated by a bunch of proprietary software that all works in the direct service of corporations. At the same time I don't believe the litmus test of all software should be its open source cred. In the end the best software should win.

Simply because software is patented and royalties have to be paid for its use does not automatically make it bad. H.264 isn't owned by anyone company. Its the creation of collaborators who are actively working to make it the best most flexible codec.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Looks like Firefox isn't supported because it's an open source project that can't pay royalties on the patent-encumbered H.264 codec.

• Reply 40 of 100
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smeagol View Post

Adobe is a piece of work, for years they've neglected properly optimizing Flash to run on Macs. I say good ridance, native browser support in HTML5 is just what the doctor ordered, no more buggy, laggy, jittery, poorly coded junkware.

I really don't get this. I have 3 macs. iMac core solo, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro and Flash runs fine on all of them. I have never experienced any problems whatsoever. I don't know anything about battery life when viewing Flash video for extended durations since I never do that but all this criticism of Adobe and Flash I find quite unfounded. As a Flash developer I understand the appropriate use of Flash and I am well aware of the limitations and challenges associated with navigation, search-ability and every thing else concerning web deployment, but let's be reasonable about this, it does not kill your computer, It is not some crime against humanity justifying a holy jihad against Adobe. This line of thinking has no basis in logic. You people are just freaking nuts, going on and on about nothing based on some perceived discord between your prophet SJ and Flash. Geez, get over it it, is just the web, No big deal.