Oppenheimer: Bing deal could bring Apple more risk than reward

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

And yet another odd one.

Search Bing for: "why ipod is better than zune"

The Bing first search result is: "10 Reason Why the Zune is Better Than the iPod"

http://www.bing.com/search?q=%22why+...form=QBLH&qs=n

Amazing technology...

At least this one has the phrase you searched for in it.

You're a dead set drongo. You get the same #1 result from Bing, Google, Yahoo and AOL.
  • Reply 122 of 127
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Nokia has just announced that worldwide voice guided GPS will be free on all their GPS equipped phones.

Sudden death to the standalone GPS industry.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

I would to without paying the high price the GPS maps are charging. Those Maps need some competition.

• Reply 123 of 127
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DominoXML View Post

P.S.: I don't believe that Google provides an outstanding level of service quality. Their services have a great mindshare (Apple pushed them a lot) and they are free.

Google's high level of mindshare isn't because Apple pushed them, if that's what you are suggesting, they got that before Apple ever said anything about them. They do provide a lot of good services, but they don't provide any tech support unless you pay them.
  • Reply 124 of 127
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Nokia has just announced that worldwide voice guided GPS will be free on all their GPS equipped phones.

Sudden death to the standalone GPS industry.

I don't know about GPS, it's going to get harder, but they'll still have in-vehicle installations where they aren't constrained to such a tiny screen as are on phones.
  • Reply 125 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Google's high level of mindshare isn't because Apple pushed them, if that's what you are suggesting, they got that before Apple ever said anything about them. They do provide a lot of good services, but they don't provide any tech support unless you pay them.

Not lucky that You only picked the discussable sentence from my post.

My point was that the Apple-Google relationship, the iPhone integration (hype) pushed their mindshare a lot and that this might change.

Without that relationship they would not have gained such a strong position in mobile business in such a short time.

Edit: It's also a fact that the iPhone was pushed by the good integration of google services. So both had a good value in the past - the main target of any relationship.
  • Reply 126 of 127
    Quote:

P.S.: I don't believe that Google provides an outstanding level of service quality. Their services have a great mindshare (Apple pushed them a lot) and they are free.

I agree Google offers some really cool products, but they are all unfinished and reek of beta-level quality. Still very useable, but Google is, with the exception of adwords revenue and search, a true jack-of-all-trades and definitely a master of none.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Sometimes you get what you pay for

.../snip/

Then again I don't know why I am bothering, I know the "but it's FREEE" crowd will never admit it

Yep, those who are too cheap to pay for a quality service will never be convinced that anything is better than, at least enough better than, the free service they use to pay for it. DotMac, now MobileME, is such a great value if you own multiple Macs. Seamless, reliable, integrated right into the OS. I'll gladly pay $60/year to have my 4 Macs and 4 iPhones all just sort of magically sync their stuff over the air. The free crowd will piss about $5/mo and then list off a bunch of kludgy work arounds that give similar function.

Quote:

My point was that the Apple-Google relationship, the iPhone integration (hype) pushed their mindshare a lot and that this might change.

Without that relationship they would not have gained such a strong position in mobile business in such a short time.

Edit: It's also a fact that the iPhone was pushed by the good integration of google services. So both had a good value in the past - the main target of any relationship.

I disagree that iPhone integration pushed Google mindshare in any significant way. Some Yahoo services are just as integrated into the iPhone as Google, but you don't see Yahoo getting pulled out of the mindshare toilet by the iPhone.

Yahoo imap email actually works like imap, and pushes to the phone, Yahoo stocks widget built into the phone. Yahoo search is a built in option on the phone. Google maps are used on the phone, search is an option, mail is built in, but not as well as Yahoo.

Google has such incredible mindshare because of their search...it's the only search engine that's ever earned itself verb status: people say "Google it" all the time, you never heard anyone saying "Yahoo it" or "AltaVista it" when they were the search powerhouses.

In my opinion, Apple benefited far more from having Google on the iPhone stage with them, then Google benefited from being there.

The iPhone just doesn't have the numbers to be that big an influence...yes, it's got amazing numbers for an expensive cellphone, but with only 30-40 million of them in the entire world, that's an absolute drop in the bucket of a billion+ internet users. Also consider that of the millions of iPhones sold, there is certainly a significant number of them that were sold to the same person, which means no increase in mindshare that directly correlates to the number of devices. Take me as an example, though perhaps extreme - I have FOUR iPhones. two of the original models and one each of the 3G and 3G[s]. Many "geeks" and Apple fanboys almost certainly have at least two of them, the original model and a 3G[s].
  • Reply 127 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

I agree Google offers some really cool products, but they are all unfinished and reek of beta-level quality. Still very useable, but Google is, with the exception of adwords revenue and search, a true jack-of-all-trades and definitely a master of none.

Yep, those who are too cheap to pay for a quality service will never be convinced that anything is better than, at least enough better than, the free service they use to pay for it. DotMac, now MobileME, is such a great value if you own multiple Macs. Seamless, reliable, integrated right into the OS. I'll gladly pay $60/year to have my 4 Macs and 4 iPhones all just sort of magically sync their stuff over the air. The free crowd will piss about $5/mo and then list off a bunch of kludgy work arounds that give similar function.

I disagree that iPhone integration pushed Google mindshare in any significant way. Some Yahoo services are just as integrated into the iPhone as Google, but you don't see Yahoo getting pulled out of the mindshare toilet by the iPhone.

Yahoo imap email actually works like imap, and pushes to the phone, Yahoo stocks widget built into the phone. Yahoo search is a built in option on the phone. Google maps are used on the phone, search is an option, mail is built in, but not as well as Yahoo.

Google has such incredible mindshare because of their search...it's the only search engine that's ever earned itself verb status: people say "Google it" all the time, you never heard anyone saying "Yahoo it" or "AltaVista it" when they were the search powerhouses.

In my opinion, Apple benefited far more from having Google on the iPhone stage with them, then Google benefited from being there.

The iPhone just doesn't have the numbers to be that big an influence...yes, it's got amazing numbers for an expensive cellphone, but with only 30-40 million of them in the entire world, that's an absolute drop in the bucket of a billion+ internet users. Also consider that of the millions of iPhones sold, there is certainly a significant number of them that were sold to the same person, which means no increase in mindshare that directly correlates to the number of devices. Take me as an example, though perhaps extreme - I have FOUR iPhones. two of the original models and one each of the 3G and 3G[s]. Many "geeks" and Apple fanboys almost certainly have at least two of them, the original model and a 3G[s].

I think You are right. The topic was "Oppenheimer: Bing deal could bring Apple more risk than reward". Looking at the search engine it's a risk to replace it even if there would be better alternatives. To be honest I can't judge how big the negative impact would be.