Desktop trackpad

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Any reason Apple isn't selling one yet? I don't see why desktop users should be left out, and there seem to be no technical limitations on introducing one, only ramping up manufacturing capacity to drive the pricing down from prototype costs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Any reason Apple isn't selling one yet? I don't see why desktop users should be left out, and there seem to be no technical limitations on introducing one, only ramping up manufacturing capacity to drive the pricing down from prototype costs.

I think it would be a nice addition to the peripheral lineup but for some reason i can't see how they would sell it without more multi-touch implementation with the i-apps and more support from 3rd party app. That way they could sell it and replace the numeric pad on the keyboards or a slide out.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Apple gobbled up Fingerworks a couple of years back... they have the tech and the gestures. They probably just need o work them all in as you said.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Are you serious? Who the hell wants to glide and use gestures on the desktop when you have the keyboard in one hand and the mouse/tablet pen in the other hand?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Seriously, why would people want to use a trackpad on their Mac Pro or iMac?

I find it very hard to get from one side of the sreen to the other accurately on mt MacBook, I don't even want to think of what it'd be like to use a trackpad on a 24 or 30 inch screen...

Sure the multi-touch gestures are all very nice, but is swipe-for-expose that much better than squeeze-for-expose? I think most of the trackpad multi-touch features can be incorporated in a more traditional laser-mouse enclosure in a way that they can be used much more effectively There are TONS of use-case scenarios where a traditional mouse is like 10 times faster than a trackpad, no matter how good it is. Drag-n-drop, moving windows around, having to click on a button on the top of your screen, then moving to the button to click something else... all much easier with a traditional mouse.

Imagine a mouse with 2 scroll wheels/balls, one for middle finger and one for index finger, the possibilities would be endless.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I would like it. I would buy a Keyboard trackpad combo in a heartbeat if it had a large surface area and supported all of Apple's multi-touch and more. Bring it!
  • Reply 6 of 28
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Here is something I mocked up real fast:

• Reply 7 of 28
    Cool.

I was wondering (and have mentioned this idea before) if they would go so far as to make a touch panel that would have a screen like the Touch. It could then be configured for various apps or just act as a general trackpad.

For example, there could be a Garageband screen that would at as a control face, much like the iControl form M-Audio. Especially when recording, you don't want to have to fiddle around with a mouse. It could have various screens itself for various functions (recording, editing) but that could get complicated and Apple would keep it simple.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Seeing as how Apple is now producing a wired keyboard sans keypad, this is probably too big.

Try replacing the key-pad with the trackpad.

I would like to see this because, as aforementioned, people who use laptops sometimes get used to them as a navigating too.

If it takes too long to get across the screen: change the system profile.

Newprograms like iPhoto really benefit from the trackpad, and it is likely to feel familiar to PC users who are switching and have used a touch/iphone.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Are you serious? Who the hell wants to glide and use gestures on the desktop when you have the keyboard in one hand and the mouse/tablet pen in the other hand?

After having worked on mac laptops exclusively for about a decade I seriously miss my trackpad since moving to a mac mini. Reaching for the mouse is always a more conscious effort than simply lowering my hand a bit for the trackpad.

I'm sure I will lament missing pinch, zoom, and other multitouch gestures soon as well.

At the very least I see no reason why desktop macs couldn't have a trackpad in addition to a mouse.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Tablets seemed to have been all the rage for a while. I suppose a resurgence is reasonable with the advent of multi-touch. I see it as an auxiliary input device. The mouse is just far too efficient at most tasks to be replaced completely.

From an ergonomics standpoint though, I'm more inclined to want a keyboard with nothing to the right of the return key. Having the mouse closer to my body is neccesitated by severe repetitive strain problems.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:

Was this sarcasm??? Because, I don't think you own a Macbook.

I'm using one right now, and have no problem zipping from one side of the screen to the other. If apple made one it would likely be a little larger than the current MacBook trackpad (w/click).

Although if you look at their current trend with their keyboards, it would likely be exactly the size of the MB trackpads. Still no biggie. I would buy one.

Just make it bluetooth to put in front of the keyboard.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    I am 100% with you on this.

I use a wacom tablet with my laptop to do graphics work. I find that the precision of a trackpad is more effective than using my midsize intuose 4 tablet when I'm working in aftereffects. Using Maya or Photoshop I go back to my pen, but for Aftereffects I prefer the trackpad, right where my thumbs are.

I searched this thread because it bothers me to think that I"m going to have to give up the option of using the trackpad when I switch up to using a proper work station.

The new multi-touch mouse looks cool but doesn't address my principal concern which is always having high precision control, right at my thumbs.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Any reason Apple isn't selling one yet? I don't see why desktop users should be left out, and there seem to be no technical limitations on introducing one.

Despite Apple's lame attempts at producing one, the mouse is simply batter than any desktop trackpad gimmick could ever be.

Stop dreaming so loudly or we might end up with a nightmare like this. Which they say is aiming to simplify things, but they are really just complicating the crap out of things. The mouse has lasted so long because it's very good. When I want to really get stuff done I use the desktop.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Lose the number pad and make it wireless, and I will buy one to surf from my couch. Having to use a mouse- and having nowhere in the living room to put a mouse- is the biggest impediment to home theater computing.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Lose the number pad and make it wireless, and I will buy one to surf from my couch. Having to use a mouse- and having nowhere in the living room to put a mouse- is the biggest impediment to home theater computing.

I use my magic mouse for this. One cool thing about the magic mouse is that it tracks well on the sofa or even on my knee.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Despite Apple's lame attempts at producing one, the mouse is simply batter than any desktop trackpad gimmick could ever be.

Written like someone who has never laid hands on an iGesture tablet. FingerWorks was ahead of their time and didn't have the economies of scale to get the price down to a reasonable level. Otherwise, they would have been a lot more successful. You sound like one of those people who in 1983 would have said, "Who the hell needs a mouse? A keyboard is so much more versatile." In fact, in 1983, I told some friends that producing computer mice for the then-new IBM PC would be a good business option. None of them believed me.

Keep your mouse. I'm happy with my "gimmick." In fact, if Apple were to fulfill that rumor AI reported on a little while back about the tablet being dockable with a Mac as a desktop pointing device, I would seriously consider buying one, something I'm not interesting in at this point if it's just a jumbo iPhone.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Where have you been? its right here on their store, as low as $199:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MTAyNTQzMDY
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Written like someone who has never laid hands on an iGesture tablet. FingerWorks was ahead of their time and didn't have the economies of scale to get the price down to a reasonable level. Otherwise, they would have been a lot more successful. You sound like one of those people who in 1983 would have said, "Who the hell needs a mouse? A keyboard is so much more versatile." In fact, in 1983, I told some friends that producing computer mice for the then-new IBM PC would be a good business option. None of them believed me.

Keep your mouse. I'm happy with my "gimmick." In fact, if Apple were to fulfill that rumor AI reported on a little while back about the tablet being dockable with a Mac as a desktop pointing device, I would seriously consider buying one, something I'm not interesting in at this point if it's just a jumbo iPhone.

That is indeed the most ridiculous statement in reference to the Tablet that I have read yet....which says quite a bit.
  • Reply 19 of 28

I'd buy one of these tomorrow
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

I have one of the new Wacom Pen and Touch pads which I bought for portable use but ended up using on my desktop. I never use mice anyways due to wrist pain and have used an Intuous pen tablet for years with my desktops. Though I also use MacSpeech Dictate to reduce the need to type, there are times I have to. The Pen & Touch is awesome and reduces the need to grab the pen every time I need to work with the mouse. IMHO, a touchpad would be an awesome addition to the Mac lineup. The thinner the better, too; currently I crafted my own desk so that the tablet can fit flush with the top of the desk to further reduce twisting my wrist.

http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_pen_touch.php