Inside the multitouch FingerWorks tech in Apple's tablet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 161
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What is 'Unicorn'?

A single, extending piece to which to act as a stand. His mockup at the link below?
  • Reply 22 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Do get me wrong, I see the need for it and want to see it, but you just don't know with Apple. Just look at the magic mouse, it's terrible.

(i) What does the Magic Mouse for Apple computers have to with a stylus for a tablet? I am failing to see the parallelism; (ii) I think the MM is a fantastic product: it does no more, no less than what it says it will do. Moreover, to my aesthetic sense, it appears to be a mighty elegant design too.
  • Reply 23 of 161
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Wasn't there a reference recently to a multi-touch gesture that recognizes "forefinger and thumb pinched together" as text input? In the manner of holding a pen or pencil.

Casually trying that out on a flat surface feels much more natural than trying to "write" with just your forefinger, as in the case of signing on a POS device. If the surface I was doing that on gave me "ink" feedback to see what I was doing, I don't think it would be too bad. Of course, the real problem would be accurate handwriting recognition, but that would be just as true for a stylus.

Actually, playing around with that gesture, I'm suddenly convinced that Apple's tablet won't have a stylus, and will rely on the thumb/finger pinch thing to do stylus-like duties. It really doesn't feel less accurate and you could adjust line width in software (and possibly in mid-stroke with some adjacent gesture). The only downside that I can see is that a stylus tip lets you see the point of contact whereas your fingers obscure it, but I'm not sure how big a problem that really is.
  • Reply 24 of 161
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

...There is no substitute for "touch" of the fingers on some kind of "keyboard" - can talk all you want about thumbs on Blackberry, et al, but NOTHING can match the speed and accuracy of typing for real on a keyboard by a real typist.

I agree, take a look at this early "tablet" prototype by Apple.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...le-tablet-1983

Is this kind of concept are we going to see revealed next week?

A sort of larger iPod, stylus and a optional wireless keyboard?
  • Reply 25 of 161
    I think apple is going to be 'training' us to use multitouch for a couple years before they make a stylus. hopefully they will release one alongside a full-blown drawing and photoediting app.
  • Reply 26 of 161
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Wasn't there a reference recently to a multi-touch gesture that recognizes "forefinger and thumb pinched together" as text input? In the manner of holding a pen or pencil.

You make a strong argument and that certainly feels much more natural than a single finger but I think it ultimately fails as a replacement for extended handwriting or drawing due to the size of the input point compared to a stylus, covering of the display with meaty sausage finger and the friction coefficient from fingers vs. a tiny stylus. I get finger burn on my MBP trackpad as it is, I can?t imagine drawing or writing on a tablet for 8 hours with two fingers.

I can see doctor, artist, engineer, student, etc. that wold use their fingers in a pinch (no pun) but would ultimately prefer a capacitance stylus for certain tasks.
  • Reply 27 of 161
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I agree. It might be a third-party device.

If it's important it won't be third party.

Quote:

What is 'Unicorn'?

• Reply 28 of 161
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Shame the article didn't follow through on its title.
  • Reply 29 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

Well you obviously don't know how to use it.

Yeah, that's it. I'm doing it wrong. Look, unless you understand that Apple never was great at making mice you're missing out.
  • Reply 30 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Shame the article didn't follow through on its title.

It tends to happen a lot lately around here.
  • Reply 31 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

So what's your point? People's signature is different when they sign on a hard screen vs. paper anyway. Hell,it's different even on a sheet of paper depending on whether a person is using any variety of different pen tip technologies, or a pencil

Quit being defensive fanboy.
  • Reply 32 of 161
    Quote:

If it's important it won't be third party.

Wow. You are a very clever man!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A single, extending piece to which to act as a stand. His mockup at the link below?

That is very clever on the part of the person that came up with it. Thanks, solipsism.

(As an aside, it never ceases to surprise me how 'clever' and 'jerk' are often correlated characteristics!)
  • Reply 33 of 161
    Quote:

As an aside, it never ceases to surprise me how 'clever' and 'jerk' are often correlated characteristics!

You just described Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 34 of 161
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    how long have you guys at AI have been toying around with the Apple Tablet (by whatever name it's known by)?
  • Reply 35 of 161
    Quote:

You just described Steve Jobs.

Yeah, he probably qualifies too (I say 'probably' because I've never personally interacted with him. Have you?).
  • Reply 36 of 161
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Smartphone GPS has turned into a replay of the browser wars.

Antitrust issues?

Don't Garmin and TomTom use Navteq maps, owned by Nokia?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Is that the same Nokia that's suing Apple (and vise versa) and now is giving free turn by turn GPS with their phones?

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._TomTom_Garmin

• Reply 37 of 161
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I expect a stylus to be optional?or even left for third parties?as a compromise.

yeah. why can't wacom come out with a small 4x5 bluetooth pad w/stylus? it's something that's long overdue.
  • Reply 38 of 161
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Do get me wrong, I see the need for it and want to see it, but you just don't know with Apple. Just look at the magic mouse, it's terrible.

Opinion only. Sells well, works great for me and a lot of others.

Quote:

I can tell you it wasn't the same, I've seen videos of people signing the touch and you can just tell it's not the same thing. But I suppose for signing your name it would do.

It's at least as good as the standard resistive touch signature capability even when using a stylus.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That?s what I?d think. I?ve used Autograph for the Mac trackpad and it works okay for a signature but it?s not as natural as using a stylus/pen and it?s simply not effective for any intricate drawing or anything requiring a fine point.

Agreed. Signing your name is not a good test of whether fingers can replace a stylus. Since typing, even on a virtual keyboard is always faster than writing, I have the feeling that Apple will leave the stylus out and just claim it's not necessary. The only people disappointed will be people who need to draw or sketch which is a small enough group that they might get away with it.

I'm still hoping they have some way around the need for a stylus though. For devices like this to replace paper, they really need to solve that last problem of stylus input. Sometimes you just need a sharp pencil. Sometimes you need to be able to press harder to get darker colours etc. Without a stylus solution (even if it's some kind of virtual stylus), it will always be just crude finger-painting at best.
  • Reply 39 of 161
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Smartphone GPS has turned into a replay of the browser wars.

Antitrust issues?

Don't Garmin and TomTom use Navteq maps, owned by Nokia?

yikes..
  • Reply 40 of 161
    Quote:

Yeah, he probably qualifies too (I say 'probably' because I've never personally interacted with him. Have you?).

He has that reputation for a reason, because it's true.