Apple profits soar 50% on record sales of 3.36 million Macs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

I thought it started 5:00PM EST?

Yes, 2:00pm pacific... where Apple HQ is located...
  • Reply 22 of 97
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

But seriously, I do think Apple needs to 'buy' someone with a visionary way of changing the enterprise landscape...

On a side note, I think Windows 7 is the last version that will do Microsoft any real good, Apple is pulling a Return of the Jedi right now...

LOL okay.... i like macs but lets be realistic, Microsoft has a stranglehold on both enterprise and home market. Chrome = weak and lol at Ubuntu and Linux (linux meh, Ubuntu is good though) Apple selling just 3 million macs a quarter isnt going to catch the juggernaut beast that is Microsoft in Operating System Marketshare.
  • Reply 23 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

They should buy Michael Dell.

And what would they do with the remaining $5.7B they earned?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

So now that they are away from subscription based accounting, do they retroactively modify previous earnings, or do they realize them as scheduled? Numbers not quite as good as I had hoped; the iPhone numbers are short especially.

Oh well, at least we are finished with the stupid subscription accounting.

As I recall, no new phones use it, but the old sales are grandfathered so we?ll still have ayear and half before GAAP is completely accounted for.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Also, anyone noticing the trend of slipping iPod sales? With so many devices doing it all-in-one the age of owning just a music device is dying. Even if Apple continually updates their iPod Touch line to mimic the iPhone...why would you bother buying one if you owned an iPhone/Smartphone already?

This was predicted when the iPhone was first announced. Of course it will cannibalize it?s one iPod sales since it?s also an iPod. That is to be expected. We also have better PMP functions in basic phones, not just smartphones. What is impressive is that it?s only an 8% YoY drop in unit sales while the iPod prices haven?t adjusted much YoY.

People will buy an iPod Touch for many reasons. From not having the iPhone in your country or on your carrier to simply not wanting a cell phone in their PMP or wanting the associated data fee. I think the Touch finally outsold the iPhone in units a couple quarters ago.
  • Reply 24 of 97
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:

Very great numbers for Apple.

I wonder where those people are who were crowing Apple would sell 11 million iPhones...

Also, anyone noticing the trend of slipping iPod sales? With so many devices doing it all-in-one the age of owning just a music device is dying. Even if Apple continually updates their iPod Touch line to mimic the iPhone...why would you bother buying one if you owned an iPhone/Smartphone already?

11MM phones was unrealistic, but 9MM was a reasonable expectation. Not a huge miss, but a slip. Given that the iPod number dropped so much I would say there is some reason for concern.

But, after the pullback recently, AAPL should move up.
  • Reply 25 of 97
    Remember that Apple has now retrospectively changed all previous quarterly results. This mean that when they say this Q1 is up 100% on earnings compared to Q1 2009, that takes into consideration the change in GAAP rules on both quarters.

This can be a little challenging for Analysts, but what you can take has really hard evidence is Units sold up 10% etc and margin 40% etc.
  • Reply 26 of 97
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

iApple selling just 3 million macs a quarter isnt going to catch the juggernaut beast that is Microsoft in Operating System Marketshare.

Nor or they trying to do such a thing.
  • Reply 27 of 97
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Blowout.

Once again, Apple shows the industry the way forward.
  • Reply 28 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Apple selling just 3 million macs a quarter isnt going to catch the juggernaut beast that is Microsoft in Operating System Marketshare.

Why mention PC sales from a company and then compare to the OS sales of another company? Why fault Apple for choosing to make an OS to go with their PCs instead of faulting PC companies that choose to be slaves to an OS maker due to their ineptitude in software development?
  • Reply 29 of 97
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yep, 3.3 million Macs as predicted. My sources were spot on.

Not too shabby for products that "no one can afford".
  • Reply 30 of 97
    Quote:

So now that they are away from subscription based accounting, do they retroactively modify previous earnings, or do they realize them as scheduled? Numbers not quite as good as I had hoped; the iPhone numbers are short especially.

Lots of info in the 10Q

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/...Ys-H6EB3b0ShX7
  • Reply 31 of 97
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Quote:

LOL okay.... i like macs but lets be realistic, Microsoft has a stranglehold on both enterprise and home market. Chrome = weak and lol at Ubuntu and Linux (linux meh, Ubuntu is good though) Apple selling just 3 million macs a quarter isnt going to catch the juggernaut beast that is Microsoft in Operating System Marketshare.

Yup, and the iPod and iPhone will never catch on, the MacBooks will never be a significant part of the laptop market - and stick with buying MSFT...

Yeah, right.
  • Reply 32 of 97
    And my friend the Apple employee still gets a serf-like salary.

E pluribus unum, I suppose.
  • Reply 33 of 97
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

11MM phones was unrealistic, but 9MM was a reasonable expectation. Not a huge miss, but a slip. Given that the iPod number dropped so much I would say there is some reason for concern.

But, after the pullback recently, AAPL should move up.

They gained a couple million more iPhone sales than they lost in iPod sales (8% decline to 21M vs 100% increase to 8.7M)... how can that be a bad thing?
  • Reply 34 of 97
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

The number that really matters is iPod + iPhone unit sales. And apple makes 2x-10x more revenue per iPhone sold compared to per iPod sold, so iPhone cannibalizing iPods is a good thing.

Of course, now we have the iTablet coming up into the mix...

True but this tablet is seemingly more and more niche the more i hear about it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Yes, but an 8% unit decline of one portable device is not really such a big deal when you have another portable device that grew 100%.

Not if it continues to happen, the iPod still represents a significant portion of Apples sales. If Apple keeps its success going with the iPhone than it will be in good shape, but as history has shown, todays top dog is tomorrows beggar.
  • Reply 35 of 97
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Any word on how the Microsoft stores are doing in comparison to Apple's 13% increase in the stores?
  • Reply 36 of 97
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

That "juggernaut" is the bargain-bin of the industry. They can keep the title.

Wal-Mart also sells the most plastic lawnchairs. Garbage is plentiful.

Apple isn't trying to catch the Wal-Mart of the tech world, but aiming to keep the Premium end and entice newcomers to the higher-income bracket to choose Apple.

Apple doesn't compete with $600 junkboxes running the worst OS known to man. HP, Dell, and the oter also rans are desperate for differentiaton, and they're in a race for the bottom. Their numbers tell the tale.

And Apple keeps breaking records. In a recession.
  • Reply 37 of 97
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple 10-Q

The Company had the option of adopting the new accounting principles on a prospective or retrospective basis. Prospective adoption would have required the Company to apply the new accounting principles to sales beginning in fiscal year 2010 without reflecting the impact of the new accounting principles on iPhone and Apple TV sales made prior to September 2009. Accordingly, the Company?s financial results for the two years following adoption would have included the impact of amortizing the significant amounts of deferred revenue and cost of sales related to historical iPhone and Apple TV sales. The Company believes prospective adoption would have resulted in financial information that was not comparable between financial periods because of the significant amount of past iPhone sales; therefore, the Company elected retrospective adoption. Retrospective adoption required the Company to revise its previously issued financial statements as if the new accounting principles had always been applied. The Company believes retrospective adoption provides the most comparable and useful financial information for financial statement users, is more consistent with the information the Company?s management uses to evaluate its business, and better reflects the underlying economic performance of the Company.

The financial statements and notes to the financial statements presented herein have been adjusted to reflect the retrospective adoption of the new accounting principles. Refer to Note 2, ?Retrospective Adoption of New Accounting Principles? in this Form 10-Q for additional information on the impact of adoption.

So basically, they're changing all their historical statements to erase subscription accounting from history. Kind of like going back in a time machine and killing your own CFO. This quarter's results are just this quarter's results, and no deferred revenue of any kind was added to it.
  • Reply 38 of 97
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

True but this tablet is seemingly more and more niche the more i hear about it.

Not if it continues to happen, the iPod still represents a significant portion of Apples sales. If Apple keeps its success going with the iPhone than it will be in good shape, but as history has shown, todays top dog is tomorrows beggar.

1. Then perhaps you should stop listening to rumors and only make a judgement after it's been introduced.

2. Every iPhone sold is also an iPod.. And it's also a much more profitable one.. .
  • Reply 39 of 97
    Shares sinking after hours...now down below $200
  • Reply 40 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Lots of info in the 10Q

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/...Ys-H6EB3b0ShX7

They are doing a retrospective switch of iPod and AppleTV accounting methods which means that this quarter's results include iPod and AppleTV revenue only from this quarter 's sales. Apple will modify the revenue numbers for previous quarters to recognize iPhone and AppleTV revenue at the time of sale.