Apple stands by AT&T as an iPhone partner

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Pay no attention to the conference call! Rumors are that Apple will announce immediate multi-carrier availability of the iPhone on Wednesday. Rumor begins with "R" and that stands for Right!
  • Reply 22 of 108
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Well all I know is that after being with Sprint for 4 years (and loved it) I just finally signed a 2 year contract with AT&T last week and got an iPhone. Last thing I want to hear on Wednesday is that Apple's Tablet will be available for only Verizon.

For simplicity sake alone I can't see why Apple would put two different products on two different networks. Especially a network like Verizon which is CDMA and not the world standard GSM.

At MOST the tablet might include a radio capable of both and be available for BOTH networks.

But I really don't want two different accounts with two different wireless carriers.
  • Reply 23 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Nice try of smoothing it over, Tim.

Just that fact that AT&T has to roll out a microcell system shows that their network is like a dinosaur with a full, shitty diaper dragging behind him.

Even Sprint is rolling out its 4G network and AT&T can't even finish 3G. If AT&T had any vision of the future, they would skip 4G and go to 5, but they don't have any vision which is why they're falling behind the other networks.

You don't have to listen to Tim Cook spout off about how great AT&T is. All you need to do is read blogs of people having actual problems from all over the United States. All TIm sees is a chart with numbers.

Sprint also has microcells.

All of the wireless carriers will roll out 4G at the same time....as network equipment standards/prices become stable and as new 4G devices are announced. Don't be fooled by Sprint's "we are first at 4G" campaign. How many 4G phones can you buy today? I believe that by the end of 2010, there will be a total of 2 for you to choose from.

There are a few spots where usage is so high that the network requires expansion. This is exaggerated by a few local NY based Blogsites.
  • Reply 24 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Verizon is the company, wireless is a division...

Yes Verizon as a company is MUCH more of an innovator than AT&T. I would sign-up for fiber to the home TODAY, if I could. Guess what, AT&T won't do it, even if you pay extra. Verizon does.

Why would I care who owns the fiber, I want the company that will install fiber to my home!

Verizon Wireless is a company that is co-owned by Verizon Communications (55%) and Vodaphone (45%).
  • Reply 25 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

They would need to add another band for T-Mobile, but that's fairly trivial.

It's NOT just GSM, by the way, it's UMTS which is a bit different:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...cations_System

How do you get that it's trivial?

It's not. They would have to get a completely different radio. The phones on T-Mobile, for the most part, and possibly all of them, don't work on the other frequencies needed for AT&T.

If Apple uses radios that have functionality they need, but not a 1700 band, why would they change if getting it would eliminate other bands, or other features? It wouldn't pay.

It's very likely there are enough people defecting from T-Mobile to AT&T for the iPhone that it wouldn't pay for them. T-Mobile isn't adding subscribers. No growth. Why do you think?

Poor coverage, and no iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 108
    Call AT&T and ask for fiber to your home, you will hit a brick wall, with no path forward.

New developments would generally not be calling in to request fiber to the home, obviously home developers line things up in advance.

Too expensive is a copout! If I offer to pay, there should be NO AT&T concern. In example, I can pay the electric company to have an overhead power line buried in my yard from the service node.

What Verizon is doing with fiber, AT&T REFUSES to do, even if you offer to pay extra. AT&T is the dinosaur.

Who cares about CDMA, it's likely dead, as you can use it very few places outside the US. I don't want a phone that's a brick when I leave the country!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What you're saying isn't exactly true.

First of all, AT&T does provide fiber to the home in all new developments. They just provide it to the node in areas where it's too expensive to do otherwise.

Verizon has substantially cut its fiber expansion. Why, because it's too expensive. It wants about 45% of all the people where they've placed fiber to sign up before they continue to expand there. They've stated that themselves.

We also don't know if Verizon will spend the money to adopt the new data/voice specs that came out last year for CDMA.

It's not as cut and dry as you want to believe.

• Reply 27 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon Wireless is a company that is co-owned by Verizon Communications (55%) and Vodaphone (45%).

And to add, Verizon Wireless is not run as a subsidiary, it is run as it's own company.

AT&T Mobility is truly a subsidiary of AT&T and has access to it's parent company's resources.
  • Reply 28 of 108
    There are PLENTY of phones out there today with multi-band radios...

Quote:

How do you get that it's trivial?

It's not. They would have to get a completely different radio. The phones on T-Mobile, for the most part, and possibly all of them, don't work on the other frequencies needed for AT&T.

If Apple uses radios that have functionality they need, but not a 1700 band, why would they change if getting it would eliminate other bands, or other features? It wouldn't pay.

It's very likely there are enough people defecting from T-Mobile to AT&T for the iPhone that it wouldn't pay for them. T-Mobile isn't adding subscribers. No growth. Why do you think?

Poor coverage, and no iPhone.

• Reply 29 of 108
    Quote:

One would think that the radios on existing iPhones could be firmware updateable to enable the extra frequency, but that would be too much forward thinking, huh?! :-(

THIS is what I hate about Apple planned obsolescence...

You can't add a new frequency band using firmware. This isn't AM of FM radio from a users standpoint. These are transmitters and receivers that use frequencies built into the parts. They can't be field modified with firmware.

It's a ridiculous statement talking about Apple's planned obsolescence.

What about all the other phones out there that don't do it either? Did you conveniently forget about them? How about the Nexus One? That can't use AT&T's 3G. What about HTC and Google's planned obsolescence?
  • Reply 30 of 108
    Quote:

Call AT&T and ask for fiber to your home, you will hit a brick wall, with no path forward.

New developments would generally not be calling in to request fiber to the home, obviously home developers line things up in advance.

Too expensive is a copout! If I offer to pay, there should be NO AT&T concern. In example, I can pay the electric company to have an overhead power line buried in my yard from the service node.

What Verizon is doing with fiber, AT&T REFUSES to do, even if you offer to pay extra. AT&T is the dinosaur.

Who cares about CDMA, it's likely dead, as you can use it very few places outside the US. I don't want a phone that's a brick when I leave the country!

Same thing with Verizon.
  • Reply 31 of 108
    Quote:

There are PLENTY of phones out there today with multi-band radios...

And there are more that are not. How many use 1700? Very few.
  • Reply 32 of 108
    What's with the BS article titles lately? FIrst there was, "Inside the multitouch FingerWorks tech in Apple's tablet" which barely ever even mentioned FingerWorks and certainly wasn't inside anything. Now this "Apple defends AT&T, downplays talk of multi-carrier inevitability" where I can't seem to find where Apple "downplays talk of multi-carrier inevitability." Verizon has been kicking the crap out of AT&T's reputation and by association the iPhone, so it's not exactly the most shocking news in the world that Apple is going to defend their (currently exclusive U.S.) partner.
  • Reply 33 of 108
    That still makes it fairly trivial to add a radio that does.

IT would have made more sense to have used a radio that had that band in the first place, with it just disabled in firmware -- nothing like planning for future possibilities...

Quote:

And there are more that are not. How many use 1700? Very few.

• Reply 34 of 108
    Not if you are in their FIOS service area.

Quote:

Same thing with Verizon.

• Reply 35 of 108
    Quote:

"AT&T is a great (DINOSAUR) partner."

AT&T refuses to -- kind of like iPhone TETHERING! Yea, EVENTUALLY roll-out Microcells -- WHEN?

I believe the features that you are asking for are short in coming. You may have noticed that the carriers have dropped their prices. I'm expecting them to add data plans that would bring the aggregate plan for both the Iphone and the tablet to remain about the same cost as the old contracts with just an iphone. Just a thought, but I have a feeling that some of these carrier issues have much to do with the development and release of new products.

As an example the Iphone itself...

3g is widely accepted internationally, so Apple chose AT&T first. It's pretty much that simple in my opinion. The first market intended for the iphone was obviously corporate and they need to travel abroad with their devices. With VZ's network you can't do it as easily. (I've had an iphone for quite a while now so correct me if I'm mistaken).

I can't use VZ because of that fact. Even though I'm moving to a rural area with good VZ coverage and bad ATT coverage. I'm with att since my job takes me out of the country about 6 months out of the year. So yeah I'm hoping for micro-cells as well.

Sure there are other issues that Apple had with VZ ( app sales and profit charing, simultaneous data and voice etc) but mostly it was about overall quality of service and generally ATT does in fact (sort of) do it better for the target audience of the first iphone. Didn't the earliest Blackberries run on Tmoblie first as well?

Things have changed allot, so I'm sure you'll get you VZ iphone very soon. Just keep in mind that all carriers are con artists and thieves and anything they do is simply about customer perception and not actually doing anything better than anyone else, except only to find their niche.

Choose the one that has the features that you need, but dropped calls, slow data rates etc etc are going to plague any and all networks for at least the next five or ten years. Even wired SP's are struggling with demand and generally don't care to offer anything remarkable. Rather in all cases they generally want o sell you old tech at bloated prices.
  • Reply 36 of 108
    Quote:

That still makes it fairly trivial to add a radio that does.

IT would have made more sense to have used a radio that had that band in the first place, with it just disabled in firmware -- nothing like planning for future possibilities...

Trivial for someone such as yourself who's obviously never been involved with designing electronics, and dealing with the difficulties and expense (yes, I have).
  • Reply 37 of 108
    Quote:

Not if you are in their FIOS service area.

About 2% of the country is now in the FIOS area. WOW!!!
  • Reply 38 of 108
    Quote:

One would think that the radios on existing iPhones could be firmware updateable to enable the extra frequency, but that would be too much forward thinking, huh?! :-(

THIS is what I hate about Apple planned obsolescence...

You really don't know what you are talking about.
  • Reply 39 of 108
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I don't see anything here that says AT&T will or will not remain exclusive. The comments sounded very guarded and general and Apple likes to play things very close to the vest. Need I mind anyone how they played up the PowerPC pretty much up to the day they switched to intel.
  • Reply 40 of 108
    Not true. It could be a feature present, yet disabled, then re-enabled via firmware update. If Apple went this route originally, then their phones wouldn't be planned obsolescence -- limiting everyone to AT&T, when the phone could easily have been repurposed on T-Mobile or other networks in other nations.

Another big iPhone miss on AT&T is Push To Talk -- WHERE IS IT?:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/po...h-talk-faq.jsp

Direct Connect on Nextel was awesomely useful, totally MIA on iPhone. :-(

I don't care about phones I don't have an interest in buying.

Quote:

You can't add a new frequency band using firmware. This isn't AM of FM radio from a users standpoint. These are transmitters and receivers that use frequencies built into the parts. They can't be field modified with firmware.

It's a ridiculous statement talking about Apple's planned obsolescence.