Airport Extreme wireless printing problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My AE (saucer) will not recognize my printer. I just bought an Epson Artisan 50 and when connected directly to the AE, the Airport Utility says "Printer:none". My older C86 did the same.

The printer works fine connected directly to either my Macbook Pro or my Desktop PC. I've tried restarting the AE and printer, done lots of searching but nothing. I've tried connecting via IP with no luck but have had trouble finding info on how to set that up properly. I tried the different protocols, entered the AE's IP (10.0.1.1) but nothing.

OS X 10.6.2 , latest AE firmware 5.7, latest Airport Utility .Also tried latest Gutenprint

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

My AE (saucer) will not recognize my printer. I just bought an Epson Artisan 50 and when connected directly to the AE, the Airport Utility says "Printer:none". My older C86 did the same.

The printer works fine connected directly to either my Macbook Pro or my Desktop PC. I've tried restarting the AE and printer, done lots of searching but nothing. I've tried connecting via IP with no luck but have had trouble finding info on how to set that up properly. I tried the different protocols, entered the AE's IP (10.0.1.1) but nothing.

OS X 10.6.2 , latest AE firmware 5.7, latest Airport Utility .Also tried latest Gutenprint

Anyone have any ideas?

If you attach the printer directly to the computer does it work? - it should, but that's the first step. Get the latest printer drivers. Also check if anyone else has AE issues with this printer on google.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

If you attach the printer directly to the computer does it work? - it should, but that's the first step. Get the latest printer drivers. Also check if anyone else has AE issues with this printer on google.

Thanks for the reply. As mentioned in my posting, the printer does work fine when connected directly to either my MBP or desktop PC. I installed the Snow Leopard driver included with the printer (bought from the Apple store). I'm not sure if it's the latest, but it should matter to the AE - it either sees a printer or it doesn't, right?

The only relevant Google results are this post unfortunately.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    It's strange. I'm not sure about the old AE but in the new AE I'm positive that the AE is not storing / looking at drivers which means it should detect the printer's ID and make it available to the network.

The fact that it's not even seeing it is the cause of the issue. Have you used the USB port with an external hard drive and accessed it wirelessly?

It could be an issue with the port on the AE.