Tablet rumors: TV subscription talks stall, Verizon preps for 'big day'

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
With just a day to go until Apple's much anticipated media event, tablet rumors continue to swell, with reports of TV networks balking at Apple's proposed subscription plan, and claims of Verizon employees preparing for a "big day" Wednesday.

TV execs oppose Apple subscriptions, $0.99 pricing

According to The New York Times, a number of TV companies were not interested in Apple's pitch for an all-you-can-eat subscription plan. Last year, Apple allegedly pitched a $30-a-month iTunes TV subscription plan, and while one report alleged that CBS and Disney showed interest, some other major networks have not.

"Perhaps smarting from their experiences with Apple, many of the old-line media companies ? NBC Universal, Viacom and Discovery among them ? shrugged at (or totally dismissed) Apple?s plans for a TV subscription package, according to executives briefed on the talks," the report said. "A person briefed on Apple?s plans confirmed that such a subscription video option was not part of any immediate offering."

But another report has alleged that Apple could have a backup plan, with 99 cent TV show purchases. The Financial Times has claimed that Apple is pushing studios to halve the cost of TV episodes. Currently, shows typically cost $1.99 per episode, but Apple would reportedly like to see the price match that of most songs available on the iTunes store. That report also suggested there has been resistance from the content owners.

"However, networks are resisting the move as they fear a repeat of the music industry's pact with Apple in 2003 to sell individual songs for 99 cents on iTunes," the report said. "The price helped to simplify and boost downloads of digital music but dented album sales."

Previous reports alleged that Apple was looking to offer TV subscriptions as a new iTunes product that could be utilized with the forthcoming tablet. The New York Times report this week again linked the proposal to the tablet, and the Financial Times said the 99 cent pricing plan is an "integral part" of the tablet strategy.

NBC's alleged rejection comes as no surprise, as cable provider Comcast reached an agreement last year to buy the network. Many believe a Comcast-owned NBC would be unlikely to participate in an iTunes subscription plan, because it would be detrimental to cable subscriptions.

The New York Times also noted that its parent company is developing a version of its newspaper for Apple's tablet, and many other print publications have been rumored in talks for months. The report quoted an anonymous person who has seen the tablet as saying that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs believes in old media companies.

"He believes democracy is hinged on a free press and that depends on there being a professional press," the source said.

As has been previously rumored, the report also noted that the tablet will offer persistent 3G data connections and will run "all" applications available for the iPhone and iPod touch.

Apple has scheduled an event to introduce its "latest creation" at 10 a.m. Pacific time Wednesday. The event will be held at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco.

Verizon announcement coming?

Another rumor this week alleged that Verizon Wireless has told its store managers that Wednesday will be a "big day." Boy Genius Report cited an anonymous source as stating the nation's largest wireless provider will hold a "kick off" event this Wednesday, centered around a live Web cast at 1 p.m. Eastern time -- the same time as Apple's event.

The source did not provide any specific details on Apple, but the timing of the event led the Web site to call it a "solid Apple/Verizon connection."

Last week, a report alleged that both Verizon and AT&T are in 11th hour talks to offer connectivity for CDMA and GSM versions of the tablet. There has also been speculation that Apple could announce a Verizon-compatible iPhone at Wednesday's event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 208
    I hope its a big day for verizon.. they are my carrier and fantastic in my area. Can't wait!
  • Reply 2 of 208
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    A third party on CNBC has just tipped that Version has the iPhone.

It's just the natural evolution, Apple has outgrown the one carrier and now needs more.

If the Tablet requires a (another) cell phone contract, it's going to be very painful for a lot of folks to accept. Also locking it to the App Store will put off a lot of traditional computer users used to having control over their machines.

Perhaps that's why the RDF is in full overdrive mode.

Just released this morning!:

Google Voice is now available for iPhone as web based app.

Scroll to bottom for link.

http://www.google.com/mobile/voice/
  • Reply 3 of 208
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

It's just the natural evolution, Apple has outgrown the one carrier and now needs more.

If the Tablet requires a (another) cell phone contract, it's going to be very painful for a lot of folks to accept.

I'll be switching away from AT&T ASAP. As soon as the contract ends, I'm done. Come on, August!
  • Reply 4 of 208
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

If the Tablet requires a (another) cell phone contract, it's going to be very painful for a lot of folks to accept.

I hope this is true. Lessen the load on AT&T and make all iPhone user's experience better.
  • Reply 5 of 208
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    so far no Canadian wireless news regarding the tablet ... give us some of that good stuff...

sharing is caring
  • Reply 6 of 208
    Is anybody surprised by the short sightedness of the TV execs? Greedy and stupid as usual. If they won't give me a legal subscription option, I'll continue on with my own "subscription" option which I've created via torrents and rapidshare. I get the benefits of no commercials and the price is nice.

Stupid execs pass up the opportunity to earn a few bucks...instead they'll get zero from most people like me.
  • Reply 7 of 208
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cylack View Post

Is anybody surprised by the short sightedness of the TV execs? Greedy and stupid as usual. If they won't give me a legal subscription option, I'll continue on with my own "subscription" option which I've created via torrents and rapidshare. I get the benefits of no commercials and the price is nice.

Stupid execs pass up the opportunity to earn a few bucks...instead they'll get zero from most people like me.

I can?t say I?m surprised, per say, but on the surface they do appear to be making a mistake. I don?t think they get that much per user through a cable company.
  • Reply 8 of 208
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    They either will ensure the demonstration of wireless connectivity features of new product or will have an event on their own, which's got noting to do with Apple's one.
  • Reply 9 of 208
    Quote:

If the Tablet requires a (another) cell phone contract, it's going to be very painful for a lot of folks to accept. Also locking it to the App Store will put off a lot of traditional computer users used to having control over their machines.

Mac's have always been very secure, I don't know why we have to chose to break our security to get control of our machines returned. Sure it's the carriers that are demanding complete control to prevent abuse of their network, but that's not stopping the jail breaking or the abuse, rather it's limiting what good users choices are to the App Store.

There is no way that the tablet will be a subsidized only device.
  • Reply 10 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cylack View Post

And me.
  • Reply 11 of 208
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

I completely agree. I, for one, don't need or want another monthly bill. I'd be perfectly content using the tablet via WiFi. Everywhere I'd need or want to use the tablet has WiFi. That's not to say it shouldn't have a 3G option however. I just think it should be optional. Unless, they can add it to my existing AT&T data contract for another $10-$15 month max. But even then, I'd be paying for something I don't really need.
  • Reply 12 of 208
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

... If the Tablet requires a (another) cell phone contract, it's going to be very painful for a lot of folks to accept. Also locking it to the App Store will put off a lot of traditional computer users used to having control over their machines. ...

I would say you are understating the first item and overstating the second.

If the tablet *requires* a cell contract, it will be criticised roundly and might not take off at all. The necessity for an expensive contract will most definitely drive down sales.

On the other hand, the idea that there are millions that hate Apples's "closed" App store, and that this would put them off buying a device that uses it is primarily a fantasy. People gripe a lot about it, but it hasn't affected sales yet.
  • Reply 13 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can?t say I?m surprised, per say, but on the surface they do appear to be making a mistake. I don?t think they get that much per user through a cable company.

the end of the big 4 is near. We have already seen the demise of NBC.

The broadcast model is ending. CBS/NBC/ABC/Fox failed to embrace cable/satelite. Now they are failing to embrace Content on demand.

And they will reap the same harvest as the recording industry.
  • Reply 14 of 208
    I was with Cingular/AT&T for eight years and I simply got tired of their poor Customer Service. So, I dropped them, went over to Verizon and received their version of the Razr. I was amazed at the horrible software that Verizon uses in their phones. After nearly two years with them, I went back to AT&T and bought an iPhone. Now that a Verizon iPhone seems eminent, I cannot imagine what the software will look like. Although, I'm sure that Verizon will find a way to screw it up.
  • Reply 15 of 208
    So because Jobs believes he himself has to save the freedom of the press we are all supposed to spend 600 to 1000 dollars on a tablet? He better have more than this.
  • Reply 16 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

the end of the big 4 is near. We have already seen the demise of NBC.

The broadcast model is ending. CBS/NBC/ABC/Fox failed to embrace cable/satelite. Now they are failing to embrace Content on demand.

And they will reap the same harvest as the recording industry.

I don?t know if Hulu is profitable, but it sure seems successful in viewership. I know I use that, even in their low-bitrate

480p, over torrenting a show I miss.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

I was with Cingular/AT&T for eight years and I simply got tired of their poor Customer Service. So, I dropped them, went over to Verizon and received their version of the Razr. I was amazed at the horrible software that Verizon uses in their phones. After nearly two years with them, I went back to AT&T and bought an iPhone. Now that a Verizon iPhone seems eminent, I cannot imagine what the software will look like. Although, I'm sure that Verizon will find a way to screw it up.

Since the iPhone emerged on AT&T and siphoned off a fair amount or premium customers from Verizon they have changed their ways. If we see the iPhone on Verizon I would expect it to be as feature rich and unhindered as the AT&T iPhone, sans the limitations of EV-DO Rev. A over HSPA.
  • Reply 17 of 208
    I'm betting that the Tablet will feature the new dual-band CDMA/GSM chips. Seeing as how the Tablet will be a world product (the world is heavily GSM), and the rumors of Verizon gearing up for a big day Wednesday, I don't see how it could be any other way. You'll have your choice of signing up with either AT&T or Verizon for coverage. I also bet that Jobs will announce that the iPhone will sport the same dual band chip as well, for the revision coming this summer. Verizon (and all its customers) I'm sure must be excited. I, for one, would gladly switch back.
  • Reply 18 of 208
    As a shareholder, I'm glad AAPL is expanding the distribution to potentially Verizon. Their network seems superior across the US. But I would just hate to give up the ability to have data while on a call. Thankfully in CT / New England, ATT is quite good and won't force me to switch.
  • Reply 19 of 208
    Quote:

Mac's have always been very secure, I don't know why we have to chose to break our security by jail breaking it in order to get control of our machines returned. Sure it's the carriers that are demanding complete control to prevent abuse of their network, but that's not stopping the jail breaking or the abuse, rather it's limiting what good users choices are to the App Store.

Also a locked machine doesn't allow one to run proprietary software that a company doesn't want spread out on the App Store to the public.

Laptops can get 3G USB drives and run any software they want, even abuse the network if they want to risk disconnection. So I don't see why a cell enabled Tablet device should be locked to the App Store.

I just hope none of these horrors come true and Apple has addressed these concerns, that's all.

While anything is possible, Trip, until Apple makes it official, I seriously doubt that Apple would make such an error in judgement, without offering options. By traditional computer users I think you have offered a euphemism for geek. The vast majority of the millions using the iPhone are using as-is, locked into the App Store, blissfully unaware that there are troubled geeks who insist on jail-breaking to gain that ephemeral control they so ardently desire. It wasn't the carriers demanding complete control - it was Apple. As a new product line Apple needed to ensure the user experience for the vast majority was consistently good on the iPhone, out of the box. And rightly so. And they haven't necessarily gone out of their way to prevent jail-breaking, but neither have they gone out of their way to avoid bricking a jail-broken iPhone. I also don't get how on one hand you can comment previously that over 100,00 apps are "too many" (especially those darn fart apps) and then turn around here and claim that there aren't enough good user choices among that 100,000+.

As far as spreading proprietary software via the App Store, you do realize that the App Store has proprietary areas that are limited to corporate or proprietary function only, right? And finally this device isn't a laptop or even "just" a tablet, it will be a uniquely Apple concept which may in fact not be "geek-worthy". In other words, it'll be cool and attractive to a vast majority consumers, but just not right for us geeks. Sux to be us sometimes, but if we demand full control and minimal interference then we can't expect our little minority to directly impact Apple's plans for a rich, controlled consumer experience.
  • Reply 20 of 208
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

So because Jobs believes he himself has to save the freedom of the press we are all supposed to spend 600 to 1000 dollars on a tablet? He better have more than this.

Gotta love how you spin things in such a negative way. How about first watching or reading about the special event then (and this crazy) deciding whether a new product fits your needs instead of making of silly accusations that Jobs thinks of himself as some sort of Martin Luther King Jr. of the publishing industry and that he expects ?all? to buy the new product. Even while reading it It?s really hard to believe that people can complain about something that doesn?t yet exist. Seriously, what?s the benefit of kicking Schrödinger's cat?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I'm betting that the Tablet will feature the new dual-band CDMA/GSM chips. Seeing as how the Tablet will be a world product (the world is heavily GSM), and the rumors of Verizon gearing up for a big day Wednesday, I don't see how it could be any other way. You'll have your choice of signing up with either AT&T or Verizon for coverage. I also bet that Jobs will announce that the iPhone will sport the same dual band chip as well, for the revision coming this summer. Verizon (and all its customers) I'm sure must be excited. I, for one, would gladly switch back.

I sure hope not, because I don?t want to pay for HW and the licensing fees that I?m not going to use.