Purported Apple tablet pictures leak at last minute

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
If you haven't seen it yet check out Engadget's post about possible Tablet photo.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/i...-apple-tablet/

Also

Quote:

On a totally separate note, we also received a tip claiming to have some specs -- we can't verify any of this either, but we're told that the device will have a 10-inch screen and look like a larger iPhone with a MacBook-like aluminum back, and that pricing will run $800 on contract with Verizon and $1000 without when it arrives in March.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 137
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    We'll know in less than 11 hours!

Can't wait!
  • Reply 2 of 137
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Looks legit. Maybe this is the demotime device?
  • Reply 3 of 137
    No way it is a Verizon only product.

That would alienate more than 25 million iPhone users (US) and eliminate any global sales.
  • Reply 4 of 137
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I'm guessing this is a legit prototype. Hence the small weird silver circle thins on the bezel.
  • Reply 5 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I'm guessing this is a legit prototype. Hence the small weird silver circle thins on the bezel.

Also looks like it is under a hood. Picture probably taken at apple HQ in a QC department or something.
  • Reply 6 of 137
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Also looks like it is under a hood. Picture probably taken at apple HQ in a QC department or something.

Agreed. And looks like it was taken with an iPhone no less!
  • Reply 7 of 137
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Looking good mateys.
  • Reply 8 of 137
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Not fake.

C.
  • Reply 9 of 137
    The "rivets"/"bolts" are probably the magnets or something that holds the glass in place, like the iMac or something like that. I think. Not sure. Could be wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Not fake.

C.

The Tablet's colour and resolution is looking good too.

But damn, the price of a MacBook? Say it ain't so.

$799 unsubsidised. That's all I ask for.
  • Reply 11 of 137
    It's called "The Tabloid" and that picture is prob a prototype in a weird housing. I've seen Apple do that with other prototypes.
  • Reply 12 of 137
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    It could be SJ leaking all these photos LOL
  • Reply 13 of 137
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The Tablet's colour and resolution is looking good too.

But damn, the price of a MacBook? Say it ain't so.

$799 unsubsidised. That's all I ask for.

I am not buying these high price predictions.

My guess is that it will be a $100 more than a good netbook. Which sounds high.

If I were Apple, I'd leaking these high price rumors on purpose.

When its announced, it will sound low!

C.
  • Reply 14 of 137
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    A series of photos shared just hours before Apple's product unveiling show an iPhone-like interface on a larger, higher-resolution screen, representing either an internal leak or a convincing fake [Updated with alleged back shell photos].

The images, obtained by Engadget, show a device that appears to be bolted down. It has a Wi-Fi connection, but no cellular service, and is running what appears to be a new version of the Maps application.

Update: In addition, photos from a Chinese Web site claiming to be the back panel of the tablet temporarily surfaced, and were captured by Gizmodo. It was speculated the purported photos were shot in a radiation testing facility, and are included below.

One photo, taken with an iPhone on top of the screen, suggests the display could be about 10 inches diagonally, and one of the shots seem to show a front-facing camera. Consistent with what sources have told AppleInsider, the device also sports an iPhone-like home button.

The device appears to be partially covered by a black cloak, which would fall in line with a profile last year in The New York Times that described the great lengths Apple goes to in order to maintain a tight lid on its secret products. The Times said that those working on the most sensitive projects are instructed "to cover up devices with black cloaks when they are working on them, and turn on a red warning light when devices are unmasked so that everyone knows to be extra-careful."

"It's big -- really big -- and it's running what clearly looks like an iPhone app, although we've never seen an iPhone app with that interface or at that resolution before," Engadget's Nilay Patel wrote. "We also see a WiFi icon and a cell service indicator, although tragically there's no carrier listed. As far as fakes go, this is as convincing as it gets, so either this is the real deal or someone deserves a hearty congratulations."

In addition, the Web site also received a tip from someone who leaked the exact specs of the iPhone 3GS last year. The person claimed the device will have a 10-inch screen and MacBook-like aluminum back, which is consistent with what AppleInsider was told. In addition, they said it will cost $800 on contract with Verizon and $1,000 unsubsidized for a March debut. That timeline is consistent with a rumor published in The Wall Street Journal earlier this month.

The source also said the internal codename for the tablet has been "K48" -- a name that was also heard last year when alleged details surfaced on a Chinese Apple fan site. Those same rumors had accurate details on the then-unreleased iPhone 3GS.

The source also told Engadget that Apple will introduce a Verizon iPhone, as well as the iLife 2010 product suite. However, they claimed MacBook updates will not be a part of today's event.

Update: Gizmodo photos follow:

AppleInsider will have live, up-to-the minute coverage from inside the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco later today. Visit live.appleinsider.com to follow along with the event, scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. Pacific time, 1 p.m. Eastern.
  • Reply 15 of 137
    oh? It's a giant iPhone
  • Reply 16 of 137
    What I'm wondering though,

is that I'm an apple iPhone Dev and usually if new hardware or software is being released,

we get emailed about it at least two days before, and are usually able to download the beta.
  • Reply 17 of 137
    Where is the pic with the iPhone on top of it?
  • Reply 18 of 137
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i'm thinking legit. I doubt the bezel/case is how it appears there, probably a prototype, though the extra edge would make for an easier to carry device.
  • Reply 19 of 137
    How cool! a 10 inch iPod touch that can also read books and magazines!!!! It's what I've always wanted...and I will have the privilege of spending $1000 to own one!

Apple is truly the most innovating company in the world...this jumbo ipod touch is going to REVOLUTIONIZE EVERYTHING. Nothing will ever be the same again after people can finally use an ipod in 10 inch size! And maybe it will even come with a paint app that allows me to paint with my fingers on the screen like in a real canvas but like...on a screen tablet!!!! OMG! And all for a mere $999???

Amazing!!!
  • Reply 20 of 137
    Ugh... it looks like it has too much bezel around the really usable screen.... Maybe Apple does it so that for the next iterations they can still "improve" the design.