Purported Apple tablet pictures leak at last minute

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I am not buying these high price predictions.

My guess is that it will be a $100 more than a good netbook. Which sounds high.

If I were Apple, I'd leaking these high price rumors on purpose.

When its announced, it will sound low!

C.

yeah i agree with this. seeing as it's 99% surely an iphone os device it probably has nothing better than a snapdragon processor in it. the hardware is probably a moderate speedbump and the only real component price increase will be for the screen (a very significant one)

i couldn't possibly wager a guess on price. we'll find out today

one thing i'm worried about on this device: typing.
  • Reply 22 of 137
    Ladies and Gentlemen...

Hello.

Yes, it is I, the Apple Tapplet.

I look forward to bringing years of joy to millions of citizens around the world!

Steve is a very kind and brilliant man, and I thank him for giving me life --

Alas, most of you have demanded it, but gotten nowhere.

But that's no reason to be left out of what could easily be the most useful, most used, most you-gotta-have-this device, anywhere, at anytime, maybe, in the history of man -- the start of a new decade ushers in the beginning of a new, exciting era of mobility --

me, the Apple Tapplet

I will see you all later today --

With Love,

:-)

Tapplet
  • Reply 23 of 137
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodinho View Post

Ugh... it looks like it has too much bezel around the really usable screen.... Maybe Apple does it so that for the next iterations they can still "improve" the design.

maybe they put the edge on there like you see the car companies add funky panels to cover up new designs on their test models.
  • Reply 25 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BitBurner View Post

It's called "The Tabloid".

No it's not.
  • Reply 25 of 137
    I think its some type of case for security, so no one takes it.
  • Reply 27 of 137
    I suspect that these pictures are legit given the fact that it will be introduced in a few hours.

I really doubt that the price point will be above $600 given the fact that the total cost of components cannot be more than $200-$300

They may offer an unsubsidized GSM version at a higher cost

A subsidized version will be offered through Verizon ONLY as Apple has had enough of at&t.

Probably WILL have front facing camera to allow for video iChat, etc...

Apple will claim long battery life, but real world tests will prove it to be much less.

iPhone SDK 3.2 (or 4.0) will be introduced today to along with several new upcoming features for both iPhone and the new iSlate/iPad

This product will be available for pre-order starting today (why not) and released in mid to late March
  • Reply 28 of 137
    LOL at the maps app!

I can barely run maps on my iPhone (in bandwidth and processing), and how is this going to run at 9x the resolution?
  • Reply 29 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I am not buying these high price predictions.

My guess is that it will be a $100 more than a good netbook. Which sounds high.

If I were Apple, I'd leaking these high price rumors on purpose.

When its announced, it will sound low!

C.

Well I hope you are right, but the 64GB iTouch is already about $50 more than a good netbook. The iPhone 32 GB 3GS WITH an AT&T is the price of a Netbook. I cannot really see this tablet being much use at less than 32 GB (and I really think 64GB is necessary). Add that if the rumours are true it will have a better processor (ARM), a much bigger display, WiFi and 3G, and probably a camera. So for that reason I think we are looking at well into the $800 range if not more.
  • Reply 30 of 137
    We all love apple products but $1000 for a big ipod touch??? no way...
  • Reply 31 of 137
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

No way it is a Verizon only product.

That would alienate more than 25 million iPhone users (US) and eliminate any global sales.

That is right.... Unless it has a GSM/3G radio, the device will not work in most parts of the world. Will be unable to bundle with an existing ATT wireless/wired plan.

To sell to the rest of the world, they would need another version with the GSM3 radio.

They could make a universal radio with GSM3 and CDMA radio. It would add at least $25 to the cost of manufacture. Anybody thinks it would be worth it?
  • Reply 32 of 137
    I hope I am right too, but Apple needs to keep this at a realistic price point given the economic issues.

I suspect it maybe offered in several capacities 64GB/128GB.

They may offer a WiFi only version for those who don't want to use it with cellular networks.

It may sport the newly adopted SD slot that Apple has put in every other product. This could provide double storage capacity.

Processor will undoubtedly be much faster and probably have a separate graphics processor to accommodate the large screen
  • Reply 32 of 137
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by synapticlight View Post

oh? It's a giant iPhone

Yes. Because it's on 'steroids'
  • Reply 34 of 137
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    It looks like it's clamped down in a sort of vice thing to stop you removing it fro the desk is all.
  • Reply 35 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

one thing i'm worried about on this device: typing.

Agreed. To be honest, despite the vitriol we heard on some of these forums, I think hand writing recognition for a tablet makes a lot of sense. With an iPhone, Blackberry etc...thumb typing works quite well because you can easily get your thumbs across the entire keyboard while holding with two hands. With the larger form factor of a tablet type device I don't think that will work well - you'll likely be holding with one hand and typing with the other. Now I know some people are good "one hand typists" but sadly I don't think it is really efficient. If I have to put the tablet down to type on it then that is not really practical. Also if I put it on my lap to type the ergonomics of trying to type and read the screen is horrible. So I actually do hope there is a stylus interface. Plus then as some people speculated the iWhatever could function as a Waacom type device for your Mac through bluetooth which would make it a MUCH more attractive device for me.

Think about it - the tablet syncs automatically by bluetooth to your Mac. You use it as the main input device (ie mouse) while you are at your Mac. At the end of the day as you go to leave it syncs the info to your tablet and then you take it home with you with all your work. That would be way cool in my opinion.
  • Reply 36 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Meliens View Post

We all love apple products but $1000 for a big ipod touch??? no way...

they won't be able to keep them in stock.
  • Reply 37 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnygadget View Post

I hope I am right too, but Apple needs to keep this at a realistic price point given the economic issues.

I suspect it maybe offered in several capacities 64GB/128GB.

They may offer a WiFi only version for those who don't want to use it with cellular networks.

It may sport the newly adopted SD slot that Apple has put in every other product. This could provide double storage capacity.

Processor will undoubtedly be much faster and probably have a separate graphics processor to accommodate the large screen

and likely the magsafe charger.
  • Reply 38 of 137
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Looks like a prototype, it is too industrial looking. I am betting it not the final product, they probably made those for testing purposes and the real one will look different. Apple has been know to do this and use old product IDs for new designs to hide what they were doing and also cut costs on prototypes

However the one picture on the desk looks like it from apple's campus, the rugs on the floor look like the rug when I was last on their campus
  • Reply 39 of 137
    For Steve Jobs to say "It's the most important thing I've ever done", it has to be as big if not bigger than the iMac, iPod and iPhone. Maybe he means that he will save the dying print publishing industry by making such a device?
  • Reply 40 of 137
    Hi

How about it having magic mouse controls on its back. So when you hold it in reading position you can use gestures with all 10 fingers on its back.

Also when on a table top it will switch landscape/portrait based on how the webcam see your face.

This will be so cool for games. Like fly/drive/1st person shooters where you hold it in both hands. If it has GPS and compas you can have a shooter game where you need to move around physically.

Also please make a super GPS app where you can buy maps from the app/content store.

Regards