Why is this called a tablet/slate/pad and not iPod touch?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I still can't wrap my brain around what I continue to hear about the Apple tablet... all indications point to it being a "media consumption device"... but how is that any different from the iPod touch?

This is why I think there must be a boat load of stuff yet to be revealed about the tablet. As I see it, to be called a tablet, it actually needs the ability to create content. If not then what is the point of differentiating it from the iPod touch? The only thing different is a larger screen. A more apt name would be something like a "mega" iPod touch or something.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

I still can't wrap my brain around what I continue to hear about the Apple tablet... all indications point to it being a "media consumption device"... but how is that any different from the iPod touch?

This is why I think there must be a boat load of stuff yet to be revealed about the tablet. As I see it, to be called a tablet, it actually needs the ability to create content. If not then what is the point of differentiating it from the iPod touch? The only thing different is a larger screen. A more apt name would be something like a "mega" iPod touch or something.

That's a good point. Both the iPod and the iPhone have tremendous brand equity.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

Hmm, with your post now I'm wondering if it will be branded the "iPod slate" or "iPod tablet" (if, of course, it's actually the tablet everyone thinks it will be :-p)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    It isn't called anything yet, but when it is, the name will almost certainly reflect Apple's desire to invent/reinvent a category of computers, which is why it won't have Mac, iPod or iPhone in the name.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    The off. Name: iPad.