Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'

Comments

• Reply 100 of 785
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Does it have USB host? Would be great if I could plug my camera in and edit photos as I take them.
  • Reply 102 of 785
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    The iBook app looks just like Delicious Library
  • Reply 103 of 785
    Utterly useless. What do you do when you travel, bring the desktop its tethered to along? No I/O and the available, useless, file system apps can't handle anything remotely large and are sloooow.

No problem, I get an Air. 2" wider than my old G4 Powerbook, no way.

Won't cannibalize anything, won't sell. MS is laughing its butt off.
  • Reply 104 of 785
    Ohhhh ireland where art thou??
  • Reply 105 of 785
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It has productivity apps! We are witnessing the death of the mouse people. And maybe the long term replacement of the Mac.

touchscreens will not kill kill tactile keyboards and touchUI is not as robust as using a mouse.
  • Reply 106 of 785
    Wow! They made a big iPod Touch! So impressive! NOT!

"1GHz...which includes the CPU and graphics...and it screams" seems like a contradiction to me. Since when has a non-mobile device with an integrated 1 GHz been touted as screaming? I haven't seen the detailed specs yet to be 100% on my previous statement but I doubt it has multiple cores, an impressive bus, or anything of that nature.

What about the app store? Will its restrictions make it suck just like the iPhone app store? There's one other issue that I foresee. The iPad looks like it may only be compatible with one browser. I hope Microsoft and Google sue you, Apple.
  • Reply 107 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Utterly useless. What do you do when you travel, bring the desktop its tethered to along? No I/O and the available, useless, file system apps can't handle anything remotely large and are sloooow.

No problem, I get an Air. 2" wider than my old G4 Powerbook, no way.

Won't cannibalize anything, won't sell. MS is laughing its butt off.

Ever heard of cloud computing? Every large tech is going this route. My employer, fortune 100 - we are going cloud big time.
  • Reply 108 of 785
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

touchscreens will not kill kill tactile keyboards and touchUI is not as robust as using a mouse.

Maybe not for the office, but for the home I can see myself sitting on the couch with my legs up knocking out a report on that thing.
  • Reply 109 of 785
    I'd consider buying some stock now that it's on the way down. It's like everyone forgot about Monday!

Product doesn't seem too great to be honest. It's going to have to gain a lot of momentum and support to succeed. No flash is pretty lame, but expected. The name makes it sound like Apple made a line of sanitary towels. But, as always, the UI looks awesome.
  • Reply 110 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SheldonJohnScott View Post

apple stock down

What's with all you Sherlocks who think you need to post stock updates, as if you're providing us with information?
  • Reply 111 of 785
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I am thoroughly unimpressed.

Fuck anyone who spread a rumor based off nothing more than an idea or a thought of what they wanted. This is why I hate reading rumors, or that rumors get so much attention.

This thing is cool, but definitely not the product we all (or at least I) was expecting. Maybe next year.

Now the fanboys will come in and talk about how revolutionary and amazing this thing is lol
  • Reply 112 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willlarson View Post

I hope Microsoft and Google sue you, Apple.

And what would be the lawsuit?
  • Reply 113 of 785
    No 3G? No Flash?

Huge disappointment for me!!
  • Reply 114 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It has productivity apps! We are witnessing the death of the mouse people. And maybe the long term replacement of the Mac.

Ding ding ding! I'm buying one for that reason alone.

• Reply 115 of 785
    yseanysean Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386 View Post

It makes no sense this device. I use my iphone to read a lot in the odds of places but this thing who needs it ?

I suppose you could play electronic board games on it with the family. Unless it's like 200 - 300 euros maybe.

I think Jobs fails to understand e-ink which is the future to replace paper, it's easier to read and has super battery life.

Also the screen is the wrong size it's too large and too small. Big fat failure this, another Apple TV

E-Ink wasn't used because it can't really do color or video at this point in time. The iPad wasn't meant to be "just another e-book reader."
  • Reply 116 of 785
    Good god, how much of that real estate is bezel?
  • Reply 117 of 785
    haha, I called it. Every 30 minutes a new article popping up about how awesome and revolutionary this device was going to be. I said it was going to be a larger iPhone without the phone. I don't even see anything so far regarding a GPS. There goes the use of google maps or using localized apps, which would be the number 1 reason that I would even consider buying it.
  • Reply 118 of 785
    what a disappointment. its just a big ipod touch that you cant carry around in your pocket. and the bezel....
  • Reply 118 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

[B]This thing is cool, but definitely not the product we all (or at least I) was expecting. Maybe next year.

Well send in a resume and start working for Apple. You want to improve it, go work for them.
  • Reply 120 of 785
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    They didn't mention memory (RAM) capacity. The Times live blog said, " 16 GB of memory, 32 or 64 Gigabytes of storage," but obviously they got this wrong.