AT&T's no-contract iPad data plans run $15/mo. 250MB, $30 unlimited

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple revealed it will remain a partner with AT&T for its iPad data plans, with the U.S. wireless carrier offering 250MB of data for $14.99 per month, and an unlimited plan for $30 -- both without an annual contract.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs said there are no international plans to reveal yet, but the company hopes to have them in place by the June-July timeframe. The device will come unlocked and will use GSM micro-SIM cards.

"We'll be back this summer with some even better deals for our customers internationally," he said.

Typically, he noted, cell phone companies charge $60 per month for their mobile data plans.

"We think we've got a real breakthrough here," Jobs said.

Jobs said the $14.99 250MB data plan is a "fair bit of data" that most people will "get by on." Both it and the $29.99 unlimited plan come with free access to AT&T's nationwide Wi-Fi hotspots.

"They have more Wi-Fi hotspots than anyone," Jobs said.

As a contract-free purchase, users can buy a 3G-enabled version of the iPad starting at $629. The AT&T network access can be purchased -- or canceled -- at any time directly from the iPad.

"We think it's a phenomenal offer," Jobs said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 117
    Terrible. This from the company that believed in choice. Take off the blue jeans and put on a suit.
  • Reply 2 of 117
    rindrind Posts: 66member
    I like it

Good Pricing and Excellent AT&T Service !
  • Reply 3 of 117
    That's my guess on how they're positioning it as only costing $30 a month, but maybe the $130 additional cost somehow covers that.
  • Reply 4 of 117
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    And Verizon still has no users of its extensive 3G network, but this does provide the opportunity to expand their coverage into the vast ocean areas. There's an ark for that!
  • Reply 5 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Terrible. This from the company that believed in choice. Take off the blue jeans and put on a suit.

Unlocked means you can sign a contract with anyone...
  • Reply 6 of 117
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:

Comes unlocked. Just put whatever SIM card you want in it and you're connected. Couldn't be easier.

(Oh and I think its just a regular SIM, not micro sim like this article claims)
  • Reply 7 of 117
    The real question is - can you use your existing data plan along with the iPad, or does it require a separate purchase? (i.e., can you get a duplicate microSIM card from AT&T for your existing iPhone account).

My guess - NO.
  • Reply 8 of 117
    It sounds like it is just a streamlined model for the data service. Whatever way you slice it that is a KILLER deal for data service. I highly doubt Verizon would have been willing to go that low...just look at their trends with their ETF's to cover "network costs". While it is only one carrier I think the consumer still wins here with no-contract data at half the price you would normally pay.
  • Reply 9 of 117
    Hahah, yes yes yes! I told you guys. Verizon is no where near Apple now. I believe this is the wiesist choice, and smartest. This is obviously a clue that iPhone isn't coming to Verizon! Happy birthcrap for you Verizon fan boys!! you can go suck it. And congratulations Apple, you now have my blessing!
  • Reply 10 of 117
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Well, you have a choice. You can buy the WiFi version and use it with Verizon MiFi or Palm Pre or Pixi, which can act as a wifi hotspot for $40/month.
  • Reply 10 of 117
    If this tablet uses the sim card, can't i just take mine out of my iphone, pop it in tablet, and presto blamo, internet for no extra cost? This could be awesome!
  • Reply 12 of 117
    Face it, Verizon fans, Apple is not going to create a CDMA device...ever. They are global.

I like the new data plans....much cheaper than competition....no contracts.

Nice deal.
  • Reply 13 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Face it, Verizon fans, Apple is not going to create a CDMA device...ever. They are global.

I like the new data plans....much cheaper than competition....no contracts.

Nice deal.

we'll see about that. AT&T = FAIL
  • Reply 14 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

If this tablet uses the sim card, can't i just take mine out of my iphone, pop it in tablet, and presto blamo, internet for no extra cost? This could be awesome!

I am guessing the same..

But apple is about easy choices .. and I am sure this is why they stayed with ATT to make it easy for the vast amount of current users..
  • Reply 15 of 117
    What if I live somewhere where there is no 3G will it run Edge then?
  • Reply 16 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

And Verizon still has no users of its extensive 3G network, but this does provide the opportunity to expand their coverage into the vast ocean areas. There's an ark for that!

• Reply 17 of 117
    Unlimited data plans are a huge mistake for AT&T; too many people not enough resources. It was for the iPhone and now it'll be even worse with the iPad. Interestingly though is that AT&T is considering quota limits on their network.. Will this extend to the iPhone? If Apple gets Verizon (who surely will demand quotas on their network)I bet it's in the future for AT&T.
  • Reply 18 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

I am guessing the same..

But apple is about easy choices .. and I am sure this is why they stayed with ATT to make it easy for the vast amount of current users..

Sure, that's why ALMOST all of French, British and German networks now have the iPhone!
  • Reply 19 of 117
    Quote:

The AT&T network access can be purchased -- or canceled -- at any time directly from the iPad.

It would be really cool if this were pro-rated. If you could just pay for service on the days you're using it, that would actually be a pretty good deal.
  • Reply 20 of 117
    At least there's a wifi-only version. I see it as an around the house or school tool - where wifi is generally available. Still have the iphone for on-the-go connectivity.