Apple unveils new multi-touch version of iWork created for iPad

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Multi-touch versions of Apple's Numbers, Pages and Keynote applications will be a part of a new iWork suite built just for the new iPad device and will cost just $9.99 each, the company revealed Wednesday.

"With Pages, Keynote and Numbers you can create beautifully formatted documents, stunning presentations with animations and transitions, and spreadsheets with charts, functions and formulas," an Apple press release stated.

Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, gave a hands-on demonstration of the new iWork. He dragged and dropped slides around in the multi-touch version of Keynote, creating new presentations.

Slides can be advanced by tapping or sliding fingers. It can also create automatic animated transitions with graphics Schiller referred to as "just beautiful."

In Pages, documents were created by typing on the virtual keyboard and scrolling by dragging a finger. Tapping on text pops up a keyboard, and turning the device horizontal places a focus on typing.

"It is the most beautiful word processor you've ever used," Schiller said.

He also demonstrated the new version of Numbers, which allows one document to hold many spreadsheets. Rearranging columns is accomplished by tapping and dragging. The virtual keyboard also allows dynamic input, like a time and date keyboard, or more than 250 formulas and functions built in to the application.

The three applications will be available for download from the iPad App Store for $9.99 each.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    add insult, there actually using AT&T as data plan provider for iPad 250Mb for $15 and $30 unlimited (whatever that means) rating back to 6/10.

Get rid of AT&T please.

edit my rating back to 5/10 due to price points provided

To start, anyway at 16GB at $499

$599 for 32GB, $699 for 64GB. With 3G, add $130 to each. So: $629, $729, and $829.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Maybe it starting to look useful... sorry just saw the price, that's crazy, too many options.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

add insult, there actually using AT&T as data plan provider for iPad 250Mb for $15 and $30 unlimited (whatever that means) rating back to 6/10.

Get rid of AT&T please.

edit my rating back to 5/10 due to price points provided

To start, anyway at 16GB at $499

$599 for 32GB, $699 for 64GB. With 3G, add $130 to each. So: $629, $729, and $829.

I believe the 3g models are going to be a hard sell. Not many are going to be willing to pay another 360.00 a year on top of the data plan they already have with their iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    I told you, I told you, I told you guys. iPhone OS and MacOS are eventually going to merge. With iWork they've begun building in large-screen computing capabilities on iPhone OS. Shit, they even have a keyboard dock for home desktop use. It's happening sooner than I thought.

I wonder how long before Adobe starts porting its large-screen apps to iPad? The tipping point is when MS ports Office to iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I believe the 3g models are going to be a hard sell. Not many are going to be willing to pay another 360.00 a year on top of the data plan they already have with their iPhone.

This is for the people who do not like iPhone screen size and will see iPad has more effective and will go for 3G model.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    I'm very happy to see iWork on the iPad. With the camera adapter, you can import photos directly to the pad from your camera. Nice.

With the drawing apps available for iPhone (ie., Brushes), this is all I need for most of the work I do that doesn't require my MacPro. Cool.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    i hope some aspect of iwork eventually gets to the iphone as well.

i also hope that this leads to more robust, but still unbloated software for the ipad and iphone.

also it is not tied to AT&T for 3G. You can use any carrier that uses GSM mini-cells. That could be the little kids phone home prepaid carrier or what ever. At&t is simply the cheapest deal they got before the event.

i will buy as soon as the Apple store updates and see what the carrier plans are then.

Super stoked about iWork!!!
  • Reply 8 of 63
    The iWork apps were the most impressive part of the demo for me, not because I'm dying to use iWork on a tablet, but because it shows what the iPad and iPhone user interface is truly capable of as far as serious applications are concerned.

These iWork apps represent a huge software engineering effort, but Apple needed to do it in order to demonstrate for themselves and for everyone else how serious apps will work on the iPad, develop user interface guidelines, and to ensure that the iPhone/iPad SDK has the necessary functionality for serious apps.

It's a huge, huge leap for the iPhone user interface, and it's exciting to see something that may finally move us beyond the old "desktop" metaphor.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    I really like that fact that you can buy just the iWork apps you want. I don't use spreadsheets or presentations currently, so I don't have to pay the bundle price to buy these that programs I currently don't use. I use Pages on my Mac, so I will likely use Pages on my iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    I hope that all resources were not spend on iWork for iPad. I'm dying to see new iWork with cross-references, auto numbering of images/tables, etc. So I could finally get rid of OO.o/MSO for writing technical stuff. iWork is so much better in many areas, but some missing features are really needed for some kind of work.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Essentially, the ipad comes with Mail, Contacts, Safari, iCal.

I includes mobile iLife: iTunes, iPhoto, and possibly simple versions of iweb & imovie.

You can add iWork Mobile.

You can add Bento.

You can add EyeTV.

You can add TurboTax.

You can add plenty of Games.

I am trying to think what average user programs I won't have besides Garageband, iChat, and iDVD.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You don't have to. You didn't notice that this is a prepaid idea? Either $15 or $30 a month on a monthly plan. No contract. Get it when you need it, and don't get it when you don't.

WiFi may be good enough most of the year. But when you're on vacation, and there's no WiFi, or the charges are too much, get 3G.

We're going to get the 3G model, and I suspect a lot of others will also.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I told you, I told you, I told you guys. iPhone OS and MacOS are eventually going to merge. With iWork they've begun building in large-screen computing capabilities on iPhone OS. Shit, they even have a keyboard dock for home desktop use. It's happening sooner than I thought.

I wonder how long before Adobe starts porting its large-screen apps to iPad? The tipping point is when MS ports Office to iPad.

This isn't a convergence to the Mac OS. It's purely the iPhone OS with more capability. In order to merge the two,Apple would have to drop the desktop for the iPhone, and come up with something that allows some desktop functionality. They haven't.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    I agree that iWork is BIG.

This will detract from MacBook sales, but Apple knows that. There's much greater long term potential in this.

I wonder if we'll now have a new category of computer OS. Windows, iPhone, OS X, and Linux distro's, with the iPhone OS being moved out of the mobile category.

If so, as this outsells the Mac line, it could become the third largest OS by volume, even if not including the phone and Touch. Apple could eventually sell more of these than their computer line, both mobile and desk.

That would really grate on Microsoft.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This isn't a convergence to the Mac OS. It's purely the iPhone OS with more capability. In order to merge the two,Apple would have to drop the desktop for the iPhone, and come up with something that allows some desktop functionality. They haven't.

They have merged the two to the extent that it makes any sense to: 80% of their codebases are shared.

I suspect that most of the difference is spelled 'C-A-R-B-O-N.'

iPhone OS has always been capable of full, UNIX-style multitasking. The one-app-at-a-time limitation on the iPhone was imposed at the user level in order to avoid draining the battery (which is capable of draining remarkably quickly) or overtaxing the processor (which isn't that hot). It is not and has never been a fundamental limitation of the OS, and so the presence of iPhone OS on the iPad says nothing about whether it can support multitasking. Even if it doesn't now, Apple can enable it to any degree at any time. The kernel is and has always been up to the task; the hardware hasn't.

As released, it's a well-executed version 1. It's a nice piece of kit. The potential of the device is what's breathtaking to me.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386 View Post

Maybe it starting to look useful... sorry just saw the price, that's crazy, too many options.

I'm betting if they offered the top price/size only you would be the first to complain about not enough options .... this way you can pick the choice that best suits you ... hardly a disadvantage, IMO.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

They have merged the two to the extent that it makes any sense to: 80% of their codebases are shared.

I suspect that most of the difference is spelled 'C-A-R-B-O-N.'

iPhone OS has always been capable of full, UNIX-style multitasking. The one-app-at-a-time limitation on the iPhone was imposed at the user level in order to avoid draining the battery (which is capable of draining remarkably quickly) or overtaxing the processor (which isn't that hot). It is not and has never been a fundamental limitation of the OS, and so the presence of iPhone OS on the iPad says nothing about whether it can support multitasking. Even if it doesn't now, Apple can enable it to any degree at any time. The kernel is and has always been up to the task; the hardware hasn't.

As released, it's a well-executed version 1. It's a nice piece of kit. The potential of the device is what's breathtaking to me.

I agree. There is a tremendous posibility for growth here. I am not running out to preorder one, but I can't imagine I will not own one by version 2.

In terms of Keynote, what are the connectivity options for projectors? Are there 30 pin iPod adapters currently made for such?

I assume I would be able to use my iPhone as a remote...
  • Reply 18 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

In terms of Keynote, what are the connectivity options for projectors? Are there 30 pin iPod adapters currently made for such?

I assume I would be able to use my iPhone as a remote...

Good questions, I'd like answers to both too. I think from reading tech specs that you'd have to take the video from the iPod-style connector. Apple sells an adaptor for that, but I think they or somebody else is going to have to sell one that also allows the iPad to be charged at the same time.

Quote:

Support for 1024 x 768 with Dock Connector to VGA adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Composite A/V Cable, 576i and 480i with Apple Composite A/V Cable

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
  • Reply 19 of 63
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

This is a natural progression, not a convergence. That may come eventually, but we are not there yet. iWork apps on the tablet was probably one of the most predictable features in my opinion.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Also, what about pulling documents from outside sources. Will we be able to open and edit documents on the web or attached in emails? Also, what choices will we have for sharing documents? I'm thinking it will be a post to iWork.com and send the link.

I'm impressed with the UI (when does Apple disappoint?), but I'm not sure how well the rest has been thought out.