AT&T's no-contract iPad data plans run $15/mo. 250MB, $30 unlimited

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Well it seems Apple and AT&T have addressed a market potential, the "pay as you go" crowd.

This is good because one doesn't ruin their credit if they can't pay their bill sometime in in the two year contract. If people have to make a budget choices, they can switch off the 3G and off as necessary.

I like the two plan option, one for rare often emergency use of only 250MB for $15 and another unlimited for $30. Think that is a good idea.

Also it seems Apple has introduced it's own processor and graphics chip, so this will be interesting. Also it gives Apple a very nice hardware lock, something they lost when they had to switch from hot PPC's to Intel processors.

The new device is attempting to replace the typical computer with a closed OS system, if it's possible to run third party apps separate from the App Store remains to be seen.

There is a REAL keyboard integrated with the charger/stand, a nifty idea.

Oh, no SD slot and no USB port. The only way to get content on it is from the device itself or via another computer.

No iSight cam or camera, means no video or taking pictures. No visible way to get the pictures to the device via a camera.

So I guess a bunch of third party devices will come along to access the iPad through the interface port and via Bluetooth.

I say this is a first test issue device, later ones will reveal what people are going to do with the device and more features added later.

Also it's a closed and limited box, people are going to have to accept that, a tough sell as well.
  • Reply 42 of 117
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

It sucks that there is such a large price hike to get to 3g.... It is obviousely a subsidy for the 3G Coverage. I correctly predicted ATT and not verizon as the carrier, though I was kinda ready to cave in and say that Verizon might be a co-provider of service, but never exclusive. This means that iPhone will always be on ATT, and everyone who does not like it can go over to Android. (That is untill 4G service is rolled out somewhere in two years from now).

However, it does mean something. It does mean that the iPhone could be sold unlocked and carrier independent at full price. You will still be stuck with AT&T though since they are the only compatible 3G provider.
  • Reply 43 of 117
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I'm going to snap this up in the summer, I've already made $1000 on AAPL since I bought another load of AAPL stock at $192, Will unload some of it at $230 and buy intel before it get too expensive.

In the summer, I'll dump my 2-year plan with ATT and the IPhone and prob sign up for the $30 unlimited data plan for iTab and just get a cheap pre-paid phone for about $20 a month as I don't have any friends and don't make phone calls much except for oncall support while awaom work

This mean I'll save $30 per month on my current cell phone bill of $80 per month

thank you Steve Jobs

Apple just hit a line drive into triples Alley - and if this thing takes off will have the bases loaded ready for a Grand Slam

GO AAPL to $320
  • Reply 44 of 117
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I'm going to snap this up in the summer, I've already made $1000 on AAPL since I bought another load of AAPL stock at $192, Will unload some of it at $230 and buy intel before it get too expensive.

In the summer, I'll dump my 2-year plan with ATT and the IPhone and prob sign up for the $30 unlimited data plan for iTab and just get a cheap pre-paid phone for about $20 a month as I don't have any friends and don't make phone calls much except for oncall support while am atwork

This mean I'll save $30 per month on my current cell phone bill of $80 per month

thank you Steve Jobs

Apple just hit a line drive into triples Alley - and if this thing takes off will have the bases loaded ready for a Grand Slam

GO AAPL to $320
  • Reply 45 of 117
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rind View Post

I like it

Good Pricing and Excellent AT&T Service !

The pricing for 3G unlimited data is excellent.
  • Reply 46 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It is not practical to do. Your will miss your calls and imagine doing it half a dozen times a day. No the best solution. I wouldn't mind paying $15/month for an additional data plan. For me 250MB plus WiFi is enough.

So how much is 250 mg a month? I do normal web browsing, meaning reading static pages, and occasionally turn on an internet radio. If I did that an hour a day, how long before 250 mg got used up?
  • Reply 47 of 117
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matzentosh View Post

So how much is 250 mg a month? I do normal web browsing, meaning reading static pages, and occasionally turn on an internet radio. If I did that an hour a day, how long before 250 mg got used up?

If you have an iPhone then you probably won't use internet radio on your iPad. However, it depends on personal use and habits and this is why they offer an unlimited plan.
  • Reply 48 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

In the summer, I'll dump my 2-year plan with ATT and the IPhone and prob sign up for the $30 unlimited data plan for iTab and just get a cheap pre-paid phone for about $20 a month as I don't have any friends and don't make phone calls much

Sad to think the iPad will be your only friend
  • Reply 49 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mudpud View Post

I CAN'T WAIT FOR AT&T's NETWORK TO BUCKLE FURTHER AND FALL APART!!! Now that the Pre and Pixi & a ton of Android phone are coming, I will be enjoying my Big Red contract even more. I love Apple. I have a MBP. But I had AT&T and I HATED them. HATED! I switched to the Big Red 5 years ago and haven't regretted it since!

Looks like you will have the entire Big Red Network all to yourself. Enjoy.
  • Reply 50 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Terrible. This from the company that believed in choice. Take off the blue jeans and put on a suit.

Where have you been since Job came back?

Apple is all about a closed system coupled with vertical as well as horizontal product integration.

(And that is why they are so successful at what they do)
  • Reply 51 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

If you have an iPhone then you probably won't use internet radio on your iPad. However, it depends on personal use and habits and this is why they offer an unlimited plan.

If you have an iPhone you can just turn your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot and get FREE data
  • Reply 52 of 117
    do you think we can plug in a verizon usb modem to the ipad in some way? since the ipad charges over usb could it work?
  • Reply 53 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Well it seems Apple and AT&T have addressed a market potential, the "pay as you go" crowd.

This is good because one doesn't ruin their credit if they can't pay their bill sometime in in the two year contract. If people have to make a budget choices, they can switch off the 3G and off as necessary.

I like the two plan option, one for rare often emergency use of only 250MB for $15 and another unlimited for $30. Think that is a good idea.

Also it seems Apple has introduced it's own processor and graphics chip, so this will be interesting. Also it gives Apple a very nice hardware lock, something they lost when they had to switch from hot PPC's to Intel processors.

The new device is attempting to replace the typical computer with a closed OS system, if it's possible to run third party apps separate from the App Store remains to be seen.

There is a REAL keyboard integrated with the charger/stand, a nifty idea.

Oh, no SD slot and no USB port. The only way to get content on it is from the device itself or via another computer.

No iSight cam or camera, means no video or taking pictures. No visible way to get the pictures to the device via a camera.

So I guess a bunch of third party devices will come along to access the iPad through the interface port and via Bluetooth.

I say this is a first test issue device, later ones will reveal what people are going to do with the device and more features added later.

Also it's a closed and limited box, people are going to have to accept that, a tough sell as well.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

(Go to the bottom of the page)
  • Reply 54 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

All I want is tethering between this and my iPhone. I hate being restricted by AT&T despite living in another country (if AT&T not offering tethering to the iPhone is the reason why there was no mention of tethering).

I agree. Tethering would be great. Forget the iPhone too - if someone has a Nokia why not tether to it for internet connections? AFAIK there were no comments made on tethering, but they said it has bluetooth support.

I imagine Verizon's Mi-Fi will be popular - just wirelessly connect via that. No idea how much that is. Virgin in Australia sell a Mifi for A$200... not much more than what you'd have to pay for 3G on the iPad.
  • Reply 55 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I agree. Tethering would be great. Forget the iPhone too - if someone has a Nokia why not tether to it for internet connections? AFAIK there were no comments made on tethering, but they said it has bluetooth support.

I imagine Verizon's Mi-Fi will be popular - just wirelessly connect via that. No idea how much that is. Virgin in Australia sell a Mifi for A$200... not much more than what you'd have to pay for 3G on the iPad.

Why not just use commonly available tools to turn your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot?

Why do you need MiFi?
  • Reply 56 of 117
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Yes tethering is general would be good. I am in Canada, no service like Verizon's mifi, but I have free tethering on my iPhone.
  • Reply 57 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Keeping people from choosing the best plan for the area they live in is not a wiesist choice sir. I'm not a Verizon fan boy. I just want to be able to make a phone call without dropping it five times. Why can't anyone seem to understand this simple concept?

You people at AI treat this like its a football game. Like there is something to win or loose for "your" side. When consumers have choice, everybody wins.

I question for you sir. No sarcasm intended, just a serious question to satisfy my curiosity. Why do you say, "Hahah, yes yes yes! "

Why do you give a crap what phone plan I use? What is it to you? What do you think you've won here?

Am I asking what phone plan you use? Am I coming onto this forum saying that I have speciffically won? No, not exactly. Maybe you should just think and use your common sense. I'm not mad, or angry at the fact of the question, I'm just giving you back a specific response. One that you obviously needed answered.

I'm here, supporting the fact that at&t is a much more better company to offer wi-fi and 3G speeds. Giving two mobile devices to the most wanted carrier on Apple, Verizon, would ultimately kill the 3G speeds three times harder than on at&t. Let alone, at&t possibly having coverage improvment plans soon. My area is fine, and I'm satisfied. Idk about your area, but I'm sorry. If you are uncomfortable with the fact that you're unsatisfied with your plan or the network, then I'd rather recommend you move your service somewhere else and be done with it. If not, live up to the fact that you get what you get and you're no one to control.
  • Reply 58 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

If you have an iPhone you can just turn your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot and get FREE data

I must be slow today.....How do you do that?
  • Reply 59 of 117
    Ouch. Verizon got a bit of a poke in the eye today. Coming on top of the loss they reported yesterday, I almost feel bad for them....
  • Reply 60 of 117
    b747b747 Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Why not just use commonly available tools to turn your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot?

Why do you need MiFi?

I'm just researching this now. Are you referring to MyWi?