iPhone OS 3.2 is iPad-only, potential camera support, A4 processor

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Additional details on Apple's just-announced iPad continue to trickle out, with iPhone OS 3.2 being iPad-only for the time being, evidence of camera support in the software development kit, and the details behind its LED backlit screen with "IPS technology."

iPhone OS 3.2 hints at camera support, is iPad-only

Though the iPad, introduced by Apple Wednesday, does not include a camera, the iPhone OS 3.2 SDK "simulator" for creating software hints the shipping product could support a camera in some fashion. One developer told AppleInsider that the native Contacts application offers the option to take a photo, in addition to choosing an existing one.

The option could be a sign that the shipping product could support a camera, perhaps through an external attachment to the iPad's 30-pin connector port. Or, it could just be something carried over from the iPhone, which does have an integrated camera.

Currently, the iPhone OS 3.2 SDK simulator reportedly contains only two applications: Settings and Contacts. It also has added rich text support in the UITextInput that allows different fonts, sizes and more. The iPhone OS 3.2 SDK also allows video output to an external display through a dock connector.

In addition, an update to the iPhone developers Web site has revealed the new version, iPhone OS 3.2, is, for the moment, iPad-only.

"Note: iPhone OS 3.2 does not support iPhone and iPod touch devices," the document states. "It only runs on iPad."

The reveal of iPhone OS 3.2 confirms a report from earlier this week when an analytics firm revealed it had spotted 50 suspected iPads running the unreleased version of Apple's mobile operating system.

Apple's custom A4 processor pictured

Moments after Apple revealed the iPad would be powered by its custom A4 processor, iFixit provided an image of the internal component. The solutions provider said the A4 processor in Apple's video was manufactured during the last week of September 2009.

It also noted that ARM has had a "secret" licensee for years that is likely Apple and P.A. Semi, the fabless chip designer it purchased for $278 million in 2008. AppleInsider first reported in 2008 that Apple has licensed the ARM architecture for years.

When the iPad is released in the next two months, you can be sure iFixit will have a peek inside the device.

In-plane switching (IPS) LCD and other tidbits

Apple touted Wednesday that its new iPad tablet device features an LCD screen with IPS technology, stating that it displays pictures that are "remarkably crisp and vivid" on its 9.7-inch LED-backlit screen. IPS technology was developed by Hitachi in 1996 to improve viewing angles and color reproductions on screens.

The iPad does not support the unique 1700Mhz spectrum utilized by the T-Mobile 3G network in the U.S. So although the hardware is unlocked and could theoretically access T-Mobile's EDGE network, 3G connectivity will not be an option anywhere but AT&T in the U.S.

Much like the iPhone and iPod touch, the iPad does not have support for Adobe Flash. In fact, during Wednesday's keynote presentation, CEO Steve Jobs pulled up a Web site that had Flash embedded, and the missing plug-in icon was prominently displayed.

Quashing rumors that led up to Wednesday's event, the iPad also does not offer multi-tasking support for third-party applications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Everyone is crediting that A4 image to iFixit, when it's just a screenshot from the iPad video!

http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video

The user interfaces for the various iPad apps actually look pretty amazing. I agree that if i'm sitting on my couch or in bed then the iPad is probably indeed the best way of browsing the internet, checking quick email, etc - I think Apple have found the optimal casual computing device. But is it so much better than my iPhone that I'll buy one? Not sure!

As for multi-tasking, for me, the iPhone doesn't desperately need it. But the iPad has things like Pages and Numbers. If I'm to be doing any minor work on this thing I would probably want to be moving between apps (Mail, Pages, Numbers) to get things done. For that, it NEEDS multitasking. But, iPhone OS 4.0 with multitasking may be just around the corner anyway, so I'll hold my breath for now.

So yeah pretty slick - can't wait to try one out. For what it does, and at $499, you can't complain too much about lack of "full computer" features.

The only thing I personally don't love is the home screen - those little icons look a bit spread out and sparse - not as polished as the rest of the UI.
  • Reply 2 of 98
    The AT&T-only is a major shocker. Apple is screwing over their customers once again for guaranteed bank from AT&T. Really embarrassing.

The iPad will find its own level and should sell well, despite the current limitations.
  • Reply 3 of 98
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Of course, the iPad may eventually support multi-tasking, it may just be that they want to announce it first on the iPhone in June... I'm hoping. That's not to say that multi-tasking is _that_ important to me, just occasionally I'd like the option to be there.

It sounds like the iPad isn't AT&T only - it's unlocked, so you could use T-mobile, you just wouldn't get 3G. Over here in the UK, you've got a lot of choice with 4 major networks, the same with the rest of Europe and most of the world.

Random thought: Do the scaled-up iPhone apps suggest they've finally got resolution independence working, or is it cruder than that?
  • Reply 4 of 98
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Well, for me, the lack of a front facing camera is a real shame. The only thing that I was expecting to be able to do on the iPad (pre-announcement) but can't is iChat/Skype.

I'll definitely be getting one. Probably a 32GB with 3G. The only snag is the micro SIM issue. Ironically, AFAIK T-Mobile US are the only peeps who've announce micro SIM support. OTOH, a micro SIM is just a regular mini SIM with a bit more plastic cut away -- so I could happily hack at one of those with a Stanley knife. I like the whole PAYG aspect, 'cos the only time I'd really need the 3G is when on holiday -- I'd just buy whichever PAYG SIM gave me the best data deal for where I was visiting. Oh, and I'll need the SD card reader thingy too.

Other than that, the iPad seems pretty spot on for my needs. It fixes all the pain in the ass things that cause my Acer Aspire One to be sitting on s shelf somewhere gathering dust. That was a real waste of money.

As for multi-tasking. I'm pretty sure that'll come; but will probably be announced with the new iPhone/iPhone OS in June. I can wait! Hell, I've got to wait at least 3 months to get my iPad anyway!
  • Reply 5 of 98
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    The musician community is going to go nuts for this device. Even the low-end wifi model would make an outstanding stage controller, 'turntable' or instrument.

The little toy musical instrument apps are pretty useless, but with this much screen real estate, I can think of a dozen 'instrument' applications off of the top of my head.

The only decision point for me is now '3G or not 3G' (that is the question.)

It might be worth the extra $150 to have GPS and the ability to sign up for 3G for, say, a vacation.

I always have my iPhone with me, so I don't need my entire music library, and I don't see this as a better solution for music anyway.

I see lots of apps,books, and a few movies at any given time. The 16G may actually provide what I need. Plus, popping for the low end will make me feel less silly when I inevitably get V3 with all the goodies we all know will show up.

I let myself get a bit too drawn into the geek wet dreams floating around here, and I'm thinking this is the first step of something really big. No one with any sense thinks its the ultimate destination yet. Other than the "GIMME GIMME GIMME NOOOWWWWWW" crowd.
  • Reply 6 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Of course, the iPad may eventually support multi-tasking, it may just be that they want to announce it first on the iPhone in June... I'm hoping. That's not to say that multi-tasking is _that_ important to me, just occasionally I'd like the option to be there.

That doesn't make sense. The time to demonstrate it would've been now with the iPad.

I'd sooner surmise that the next gen iPhone (OS) won't have multi-tasking. As far as Apple is concerned, there's no rush so long as people continue to buy the product.
  • Reply 7 of 98
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The AT&T-only is a major shocker. Apple is screwing over their customers once again for guaranteed bank from AT&T. Really embarrassing.

The iPad will find its own level and should sell well, despite the current limitations.

One word: Unlocked.
  • Reply 8 of 98
    I can't say multi-tasking worries me all that much. If an app can remember it's last state when you shut it down and re-open in the same condition (i.e. Pages would re-start with the document that was open the last time you shut it down), I can live without it.
  • Reply 9 of 98
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    While the "Apple A4" most likely is ARM-based (I see absolutely no technical reason why is shouldn't be), it's curious to know that IBM has been developing a new PowerPC core named "A2". Coincidence? Probably,
  • Reply 10 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

From the article...

"The iPad does not support the unique 1700Mhz spectrum utilized by the T-Mobile 3G network in the U.S. So although the hardware is unlocked and could theoretically access T-Mobile's EDGE network, 3G connectivity will not be an option anywhere but AT&T in the U.S."

So in US the unlocked means nothing....
  • Reply 11 of 98
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Actually two words: Unlocked & Optional
  • Reply 12 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Where did you get the idea that it's AT&T only? The device is unlocked so it should be usable on any 3G network. AT&T is the only one that has announced a plan for it, but others will be sure to follow.
  • Reply 13 of 98
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I can't say multi-tasking worries me all that much. If an app can remember it's last state when you shut it down and re-open in the same condition (i.e. Pages would re-start with the document that was open the last time you shut it down), I can live without it.

Yeah but if you are working on a pages document and copying/pasting or referencing other sources (Mail, Safari, etc), do you really want to be constantly home-screening and opening and closing apps to get your document done?

No - you want to hit an Expose button and stop wasting time!

You're right in that a lack of true multi-tasking it's not a complete deal-breaker, but I think the iPad really could benefit from it (more so than the iPhone anyway)
  • Reply 14 of 98
    Re: Camera support

The official Apple iPad spec page has a camera adapter listed on the bottom under Accessories.

I do wish it was built in though. This thing looks like a dud

iPad Camera Connection Kit

The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera?s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera?s SD card.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
  • Reply 15 of 98
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Realistically the wifi only version is actually the better deal if you already have an iPhone. Just pair up the bluetooth tethering and use your data plan that way.

Lets face it it isn't meant to be a big iPhone and its not meant to be as robust as an Mac/MacBook. Its the middle ground.

As mentioned above musically if it can run a logic/ableton/protools style app it could be an awesome live device.

Plus from what i have seen from the keynote, its going to change the way we use computers for education/lecture notes and libraries.

Now to wait 2 long months
  • Reply 16 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phpmaven View Post

Where did you get the idea that it's AT&T only? The device is unlocked so it should be usable on any 3G network. AT&T is the only one that has announced a plan for it, but others will be sure to follow.

unlocked is only of importance when you have other compatable networks available. Which there is not.
  • Reply 17 of 98
    Quite a few questions, aren't there...

* Will multitasking come with OS 4.0?

* What's inside the A4 chip?

* It plays 720p30 content - any way of getting that to a TV?

* Can the iPad tether to a regular mobile via bluetooth?
  • Reply 18 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

The musician community is going to go nuts for this device. Even the low-end wifi model would make an outstanding stage controller, 'turntable' or instrument.

The little toy musical instrument apps are pretty useless, but with this much screen real estate, I can think of a dozen 'instrument' applications off of the top of my head.

I am most looking forward to using it as the mixer in logic. Or simulation of an MPC.
  • Reply 19 of 98
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

From the article...

"The iPad does not support the unique 1700Mhz spectrum utilized by the T-Mobile 3G network in the U.S. So although the hardware is unlocked and could theoretically access T-Mobile's EDGE network, 3G connectivity will not be an option anywhere but AT&T in the U.S."

So in US the unlocked means nothing....

That says it should work using EDGE on T-Mobile (although EDGE sucks). I'm sorry T-Mobile didn't use one of the more common frequencies for 3G and that Verizon is still CDMA. When you travel, you will be able to pop out the SIM for a local one to avoid crazy data roaming charges... that alone is worth something.
  • Reply 20 of 98
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    I just don't understand why they wouldn't put a camera and iChat on this thing. I would think one of the biggest features that a "person on the go" would want is some contact with their family. I live on the west coast but most of my family lives in the Midwest. iChat and Skype are a normal part of the week for me. It's the only way my kids get to visit with their grandparents and great grandparents. If I leave on a trip, it's the only time I get with my kids. No lame ass e-book is going to make up for that. So this means I'm still traveling with my laptop.

I'm sure as hell not adding a bigass clunky camera to it. By the time you add all the accessories, the thing weighs as much as a desktop and it takes away from the whole aesthetic. I guarantee it will have the camera in a year, not because the technology has caught up, but because they decided they've made enough money on the lame first generation. They just want to milk us again, like they did with the 3G vs. the 3GS.

It just seems like a no brainer to me. It would have been more popular than the iPhone.

Sorry for ranting, but they built it up sooo much. I'm truly bummed. I'm just glad I didn't take off work to watch the liveblogs.