First iPad estimates: 4 million units in year one, 8 million in 2011

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... now leads him to believe Apple will sell between 3 and 4 million of the devices in its first 12 months on the market. That's up from his earlier prediction of just shy of 1.9 million units ........

The analyst.. .. trimmed his 2010 iPod touch unit sales estimate by roughly 1.8 million units to 20.6 million.

That does not make much sense.

He says, between 3 and 4 million iPads, so let's say, 3.5 million. That is 1.6 million more than his original estimate (1.9 million). But that extra 1.6 million will eat into an expected 1.8 million iPod Touchs, according to him? I.e., 200,000 more Touchs cannibalized than the number of extra iPads sold?

• Reply 22 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

They never said or implied it replaced a laptop overall. They said is was better than a laptop and a smartphone at the things is is better at... and obviously inferior to them in other things. The only people who will replace a real laptop with this are people who never needed a laptop in the first place.

I agree, Multi-tasking would be nice without replacing a laptop but probably kill battery life. I'm sure it will come, probably with 4.0 but I won't miss it much til then.

He clearly was comparing this device to a netbook when he started out the event/ipad intro by talking about how bad the netbooks are. This in itself is saying, "Instead of buying a netbook, we have something for you that is better". And I just don't see it yet, maybe it turns into that device that does over take the need of a netbook, for me it's not there yet.
  • Reply 23 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Snarky? GFY

Yes, snarky. And foul-mouthed.
  • Reply 24 of 110
    Quote:

I'm stunned at how underwhelmed I am ....

And, we're overwhelmed by how stunned you are.
  • Reply 25 of 110
    8 million ipads sold in 2011? Keep dreaming....

This will not cannibalize ipod touch sales at all. Who the hell wants to make this huge ipod their main mp3 player? If anything, people who buy this thing thinking it will replace a bunch of shit will find themselves starting to use it only in the house (and even then less if the household has a laptop) and in a limited fashion after it becomes clear how cumbersome it is to carry around this thing daily, much like a laptop, except possibly at airports... and how its abilities are 95% matched by the cheaper more convenient ipod touch or iphone.

I think Apple really miscalculated here on this tablet....it's the definition of an ultra niche product...and for those that buy on the hype, like I said chances are that after the novelty wears off, the tablet will be mostly left unused outside the house. 8 million sold? Keep dreaming...
  • Reply 26 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

iCal'd.

We'll see you in a year, starting in April.

I wonder just how many shades of red your face will be.

Quado, you've been right all along. This is a serious game changer....I for one will stay with my original intel iMac now till it breaks, instead of upgrading to the new 27" iMac and will stay with my original intel macbook now till it breaks, too, instead of upgrading to the MBA. I really want both of those. But now I will get the iPad....it looks a glorious machine!

Edit: When my iMac breaks, I will love to go out and get the 27" iMac. Coupled with a wifi iPad and my 3GS iPhone...I will be set big time!
  • Reply 27 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Great point about eco-friendly...in July I will be canceling home delivery of the AZ Republic, the paper edition of the Wall Street Journal, Time magazine, Sail, Runner's World, AZ Highways, MacWorld, Foreign Affairs, Flight Journal, Soaring, Tennis, Golf and Playboy. And get the 'Paid' online versions!

All these guys do is cut down trees, print there product with toxic ink, 'truck' around to grocery stores using Mid-East oil, wait 3 weeks and pick up 99% of it that hasn't sold and 'truck' it to the land-fill! What a great business model! Sheez!

Exactly. Concerns that appeal to a huge number of (well-off) people today.
  • Reply 28 of 110
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

The tablet revolution neither requires your participation nor approval

True. But who says Apple is the only game in town? I can participate, just not with the iPad.

As bad as the reputation of tablets have been up to this point (not ready for prime time, not done right, etc), there are windows based tablets that put this iPad to shame (functionality wise). I say that and I absolutely hate windows. But I would certainly choose a Windows 7 based tablet over this any day. No comparison.
  • Reply 29 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Exactly. Concerns that appeal to a huge number of (well-off) people today.

Thanks, I've been rationalizing getting these publications, because I'm huge into recycling. But as you mentioned...better not to get them in the first place so as not to even have to recycle! I'm on board baby!
  • Reply 30 of 110
    Quote:

Yes, snarky. And foul-mouthed.

You apparently didn't read his post and take my response in context. The life of an electronic appliance/device does not end up being recycled the way you think it does. Just because the mess isn't directly in our backyard doesn't mean there isn't a mess.

This policy of shipping items worldwide to be recycled is a farce of sorts. Without knowing exactly where the items go, because Apple doesn't tell anyone, one can only guess that it could end up at places like this http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/10/v...nics-revealed/

So when you are done being naive about this stuff you will see how an electronic device and eco-friendly don't really belong in the same sentence.

Edit ****

And yes, I know apple has made an effort to remove some of the nastiest toxins from their products.
  • Reply 31 of 110
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

8 million ipads sold in 2011? Keep dreaming....

This will not cannibalize ipod touch sales at all. Who the hell wants to make this huge ipod their main mp3 player? If anything, people who buy this thing thinking it will replace a bunch of shit will find themselves starting to use it only in the house (and even then less if the household has a laptop) and in a limited fashion after it becomes clear how cumbersome it is to carry around this thing daily, much like a laptop, except possibly at airports... and how its abilities are 95% matched by the cheaper more convenient ipod touch or iphone.

I think Apple really miscalculated here on this tablet....it's the definition of an ultra niche product...and for those that buy on the hype, like I said chances are that after the novelty wears off, the tablet will be mostly left unused outside the house. 8 million sold? Keep dreaming...

The iPhone has a video out and external keyboard support? It doesn't matter if the iPhone has 95% of the capabilities if consumers need that 1% feature of a larger screen.
  • Reply 32 of 110
    Quote:

You apparently didn't read his post and take my response in context. The life of an electronic appliance/device does not end up being recycled the way you think it does. Just because the mess isn't directly in our backyard doesn't mean there isn't a mess.

This policy of shipping items worldwide to be recycled is a farce of sorts. Without knowing exactly where the items go, because Apple doesn't tell anyone, one can only guess that it could end up at places like this http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/10/v...nics-revealed/

So when you are done being naive about this stuff you will see how an electronic device and eco-friendly don't really belong in the same sentence.

A bit harsh, but I see your point. But at least it's a starting point. Apple is 'trending' in the right direction. My original 1st gen iPhone (I now have a 3Gs) used to sit next to my bedside with an 'Alarm clock' App. And now sits next to my TV and I use it as the remote. (Well, not quite yet b/c although I've downloaded RowMote, I haven't set it up yet!)

But Apple will accept any printer, laptop from any manufacturer, pay the shipping and recycle it. that's a pretty good start. Radio shack accepts any cell phone to recycle and I believe I'm right in there are efforts to standardize the chargers for the billion phones sold each year.

Anyway, just in my case one iPad is going to replace 2 hard copy newspapers (delivered every day), a dozen or so magazines, an indeterminate amount of hard copy books, not to mention all the DVD's and CD's (and their plastic cases) that I used to purchase before having an iPod and an AppleTV. And BTW, it's not just the physical product that is wasteful, it's all the distribution costs involved also that are being saved...think Mid-East oil/gasoline here!
  • Reply 33 of 110
    Quote:

And, we're overwhelmed by how stunned you are.

I'm astonished by how overwhelmed you are.
  • Reply 34 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

And if this anal-ist doesn't think this will eat into Mac sales, he's wrong. A lot of typical consumers are ignorant and just buy the cheapest thing without doing any research.

$499 verses a $1999 MacBook Pro. "Internet and email, that's all I use a computer for!"

I don't have a iPod Touch as the storage is too small for my needs, but can it surf the internet without first being hooked up to a computer?

How about setting up a iTunes account?

Tose 'typical consumers' would never buy a MB or MB Pro; they buy $400 Dells. The only Apple product I see the iPad as taking sales from will most likely be the top tier iPod Touch.
  • Reply 35 of 110
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    No imagination people, as per usual. It will sell well over 4 million in the first year I guarantee it. Quadra 610 iCal that would you?

I got the name wrong (I didn't think they would really go for iPad!)

I got the processor wrong, though in fairness it is based on the ARM design

Size and form factor were what I expected though I thought the screen would be 2:3 like the iPhone. At first I balked at the large bezel but it makes sense once the thing is people's hands.

OS is of course what was expected though there some things in the SDK that are a nice surprise

Price was less than I expected. This thing will sell.

By the time it ships there are going to be some killer apps available, particularly in a bunch of vertical markets (where the tablet concept has always seemed ideally suited)
  • Reply 36 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

No imagination people, as per usual. It will sell well over 4 million in the first year I guarantee it.

Or our money back?

• Reply 37 of 110
    Quote:

You really need to inform yourself better before making sweeping, snarky statements like that: http://www.apple.com/environment/complete-lifecycle/

No replaceable battery, no ability to add memory. This is designed to be thrown out in a few years just like the quarter Billion iphones and ipods sold in the last 9 years. They make fun toys, but don't be so quick to pat apple on the back for their environmental contribution.
  • Reply 38 of 110
    I'll say it again; this thing is going to absolutely take off in vertical markets: hotels, film & TV, medical, music & recording, venue management, trucking etc... Why? because there are already thousands of registered iPhone OS developers in those fields. The increased screen real estate has the potential for serious leverage of existing assets.
  • Reply 39 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Or our money back?

Absolutely.
  • Reply 40 of 110
    Quote:

Edit ****

And yes, I know apple has made an effort to remove some of the nastiest toxins from their products.

You know Steve O, after thinking about it, Haiti comes to mind. With no industries down there it may make a good recycling spot, if handeled properly. Someone should look into it. .Apple maybe.

Oh yeah, Apple has been failing for years,since myfirst Mac Plus .