Apple posts QuickTime video of CEO Steve Jobs' 'iPad' keynote

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Wednesday evening made available through its Web site a QuickTime video stream of its media event during which its new tablet device, dubbed the "iPad" was introduced to the public by CEO Steve Jobs.



The Cupertino-based company used a near hour-and-a-half presentation to announce its new media device, the iPad. Standing with a foot in both the iPhone and the Mac worlds, the iPad is, according to Jobs, "our most advanced technology in a magical and revolutionary device at an unbelievable price."



"iPad creates and defines an entirely new category of devices that will connect users with their apps and content in a much more intimate, intuitive, and fun way than ever before," said Jobs.



The iPad sports a 9.7 inch display and includes a 1GHz Apple-designed A4 processor with integrated graphics processing.



Jobs said the device can get up to 10 hours of battery life when watching video and will last up to a month on standby.



The iPad comes in capacities of 16, 32, and 64GB, starts at $499 and comes with optional 3G support for an extra $130.







Click here to view the QuickTime video feed of Apple's Special Event



Live coverage from Apple's Jan. 27 event



Apple reveals long awaited multi-touch 'iPad' tablet device starting at $499



Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)



Apple unveils new multi-touch version of iWork created for iPad



Apple introduces iBooks store for iPad



A closer look at Apple's iPad bundled applications



AT&T's no-contract iPad data plans run $15mo. 250MB, $30 unlimited

«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 30
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    on other forums the ratio is more people don't like it than like it. and some people are already calling it the iMaxiPad. I think we have another G4 Cube here
  • Reply 2 of 30
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    iTampon.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,744member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    on other forums the ratio is more people don't like it than like it. and some people are already calling it the iMaxiPad. I think we have another G4 Cube here



    You actually use Apple forums as a barometer of popularity/desirability??







    These are the same people who are begging Apple for a headless Mac and claimed Mac slaes will tank in a recession.



    Tech-heads are smart when it comes to explaining tech and throwing around terminology, but they're dumb as fenceposts when it comes to understanding the market.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    You actually use Apple forums as a barometer of popularity/desirability??







    These are the same people who are begging Apple for a headless Mac and claimed Mac slaes will tank in a recession.



    Tech-heads are smart when it comes to explaining tech and throwing around terminology, but they're dumb as fenceposts when it comes to understanding the market.



    I may like Apple, but this is no slam dunk and I wait to see how consumers move on this product and see what other development will happen in future to boost my reason for buying this tablet.



    Never supported the tablet theory in past and Apple have done nothing to change my theory.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 5,932member
    The movie won't play on my iPhone, only through Quicktime on the Mac. Sort you own technology out Apple!
  • Reply 6 of 30
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post


    The movie won't play on my iPhone, only through Quicktime on the Mac. Sort you own technology out Apple!



    Too funny-will it play on Apple TV though? Maybe, maybe not.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    You actually use Apple forums as a barometer of popularity/desirability??







    These are the same people who are begging Apple for a headless Mac and claimed Mac slaes will tank in a recession.



    Tech-heads are smart when it comes to explaining tech and throwing around terminology, but they're dumb as fenceposts when it comes to understanding the market.



    What do you beg Apple for?
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Anyone have a direct link for an actual file? I can't get the stream to work on my iPhone or my PC at work.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    this is good
  • Reply 10 of 30
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    on other forums the ratio is more people don't like it than like it. and some people are already calling it the iMaxiPad. I think we have another G4 Cube here



    Kids have nothing better to do than to giggle when they hear a word that sounds like a "grown up" word.



    I'm not someone who is easily influenced.



    Apple's iPad is a great product at a terrific price.



    Also, for a long time, consumers of average intelligence just didn't understand Apple's products despite their intuitive interfaces that children could understand. Over time, people are beginning to understand that these easy-to-use products are powerful and filled with features.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    I do not think its a bad product. I agree that I have never seen people so happy at almost any product apple announces on any mac forum, there is always an "if".



    I think the iPad is appealing for a certain crowd, and that is really a big one. I know lots who do no more than what the iPad is capable of, on their notebooks. So those would really go for a fancy new device from apple, and save themselves a lot of money. If iPad works also as electronic paper, I think it will be favored by children and teenagers. I would have thought a camera would have been nice, but I guess that is kept for the next update



    I am so sad.............. no MBP update.............. was waiting to get one with possibly an i5 or so.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    (via VLC player's debug window)

    rtsp://2047.v1411b.c1411.g.vq.akamaistream.net/5/2047/1411/2_h264_650/1a1a1ae454c430950065de4cbb2f94c226950c7ae655b61a48 a91475e243acda3dac194879adde0f/1001908r5ft6dswz_1_650.mov



    Have fun, y'all.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    I am watching it now. It is about a third of the way through. It is teh boring. Perhaps you need to be holding the device to appreciate it, because watching it on the screen it is just the same as any computer or iPhone.



    Edit: oh... Steve just said precisely that



    Edit 2: Here I go, fast forwarding over the entire Scott Forstall bit. I always do in every Apple keynote. He's too fake/corporate.



    Edit 3: Why is Steve so obsessed with the Democrats? I guess he's so rich he doesn't care about high taxes.



    Edit 4: Phil! Whooo. The new iWork looks nice. Apple's style of GUI really works well for slides, where there's not much text and it's mostly layout/production values.



    Edit 5: The apps are very snappy. Either that CPU is something else, or the software writers did a lot of profiling, or both.



    Edit 6: iWork is not bundled? Too bad.



    Edit 7: Am I correct it uses a different type of SIM to the iPhone? That's just pure, dripping, evil.



    Edit 8: Six models? That's a bit excessive. Two sizes of memory would have been fine. Very nice case.



    If it had come out before the iPhone people would have thought it magical, but not post-iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin85 View Post


    Anyone have a direct link for an actual file? I can't get the stream to work on my iPhone or my PC at work.



    Guys it's available for download now from the usual Apple Keynote *Podcast*. Enjoy



    LINK:

    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=275834665
  • Reply 15 of 30
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    Edit 5: The apps are very snappy. Either that CPU is something else, or the software writers did a lot of profiling, or both...



    They desperately will need to clarify the multitasking, if any, and perhaps in iPhone OS 4.0 ...Like what happens when you switch between a Keynote to middle of YouTube then also is the iPod playing in the background all the time?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    Edit 7: Am I correct it uses a different type of SIM to the iPhone? That's just pure, dripping, evil.



    The iLord giveth, and the iLord taketh away. "Here! Unlocked 3G w000t. But... micro-SIM". WHAT THE **** IS A MICRO SIM ...My local carrier where I am now that has the iPhone 3GS, I wonder how excited they will be to develop plans, micro-SIM deployment and rollout etc... June/July is way to far away anyway, I want to be playing with this baby by MARCH! 32GB WiFi version, will be mah first choice.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnaAhlawy View Post


    I do not think its a bad product. I agree that I have never seen people so happy at almost any product apple announces on any mac forum, there is always an "if".



    I think the iPad is appealing for a certain crowd, and that is really a big one. I know lots who do no more than what the iPad is capable of, on their notebooks. So those would really go for a fancy new device from apple, and save themselves a lot of money. If iPad works also as electronic paper, I think it will be favored by children and teenagers. I would have thought a camera would have been nice, but I guess that is kept for the next update



    I am so sad.............. no MBP update.............. was waiting to get one with possibly an i5 or so.



    The younger generation has probably no solid experience of pen and paper. So for many kids and teenagers, wow, this would be "My First Laptop". The Gateway Drug to a MacBook/Pro... and then some. Me I would sit with it hopefully with Wired or MacFormat (the print version as eBook, not the websites) and a little notepad.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post


    I may like Apple, but this is no slam dunk and I wait to see how consumers move on this product and see what other development will happen in future to boost my reason for buying this tablet.



    Never supported the tablet theory in past and Apple have done nothing to change my theory.



    There will be enough "itchy fingers" out there that will want to explore this tablet thingy. I reckon by end of 2010 they could do 10 million units easy. And voila - you can call that a success, even though there will be much whining and complaining about everything from the name to the thickness of the bezel.



    It is by no means a slam dunk, but it is an essential marking of their territory in that space between smartphone and laptop.



    Like I said elsewhere before, Apple is an R&D company that is profitable.



    Even if we feel it is not 100% useful, it sure makes a nice gift/gadgety toy thingy.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    on other forums the ratio is more people don't like it than like it. and some people are already calling it the iMaxiPad. I think we have another G4 Cube here



    Did the G4 Cube sell 10 million units? That's what I'm forecasting for iPad sales in 2010.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post


    Steve looks healthy... this is good



    Yeah, but he was a little too calm, maybe. Especially during the keynote when he was showing how Awesome Safari is on the iPad, and there were the missing plugin squares quite visible. In the past no way he would have done that.



    Is it just me or is everybody not freaked out that APPLE MADE THEIR OWN FRICKIN' CPU!!! Take that, Intel! No Atom For Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Even if we feel it is not 100% useful, it sure makes a nice gift/gadgety toy thingy.



    Right, like an upscale Sharper Image purchase- a luxury item not a necessity .



    1.) Too large and shiny to whip out like an iPhone on the street, especially in an urban setting be it street or subway.

    2.) NOt a good eating companion like an iPhone which can easily sit right next to you or operate with one hand. A real magazine is better even.



    As a mobile device - I don't see the practicality.

    As a computer it only runs Apples Safari, no flash, no Office etc, etc.

    So more a gadgety mobile device/toy thingy, yes.
Sign In or Register to comment.