Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The big question before today's Apple event was how the company would deliver a tablet-sized product that any significant number of people might want to buy. On stage, Steve Jobs provided a lot of answers, but the most powerful answer required holding the new device in your hands.

Great expectations

Jobs framed the new iPad as being in between its iPhone and MacBook products. But in order to succeed, he pointed out, it would need to do some things better than either. Today's netbooks don't do anything better; they're just cheap and small notebooks, he said.

It was widely expected that Apple would release a 10" iPod touch, and that's essentially what the iPad is. However, that's really only the case in hardware. The iPad's larger screen, which melds the MacBook's beautiful IPS LCD display with the iPhone's multitouch sensitivity, provides so much extra room that it enables iPhone apps to grow up in sophistication from being mostly information browsers to being full blown desktop apps driven primarily by a multitouch interface.

This introductory video shows a 360 degree view of the iPad, along with a look at how it presents home screen apps just like the iPhone. Its actual apps are more like desktop Mac apps however, and in some cases seem even better, particularly the beautiful new multitouch Calendar app.

iPad initial surprises

In person, the first and biggest surprise of the slim new tablet-sized device is that it works vertically. Most fan art conceptualized the device to be used in landscape mode. While it works in both, most of the time (some apps favor one or the other; Keynote is landscape-only, for example), the vertical orientation is what you use in the dock. It's also the primary way Apple pictures it on its site, just like the iPhone and iPod touch.

This begins to make sense only when you use it. Suddenly, the preconceived idea of a tablet being a laptop without a keyboard evaporates and you find yourself looking at iPad as if it is a digital pad of paper. We don't typically use spiral-bound notebooks sideways.

The next surprise is that this isn't just an iPod touch with a big screen. The apps Apple bundles, as well as some early third party apps that a select few developers produced over the last couple weeks, are all redesigned to take full advantage of the screen in new ways and with increased sophistication and depth; they don't just spread out to consume more space.

Calendar, Notes, Mail, Photos, and other apps are all enhanced with what feels like an injection of elements of the desktop Mac experience into the familiar iPhone interface (below). Rather than the iPhone's menu-per-page convention, apps like Settings present multiple tiers of menu levels at once. Mail shows you both your inbox in an iPhone-like view as well as a message preview, all on the same screen.

Things that aren't practical on the iPhone due to its small size are natural and almost magical on the iPad. The Photos app incorporates elements of iPhoto, adding finger-based navigation through albums, as well as Faces and Places organization. Apple's iWork suite is now three cheap $10 apps that each provide most -- if not all -- of the features of their desktop counterparts, but are fully controlled via intuitive multitouch gestures.

Make a mistake and you can use the Undo button. Toolbars and search features are reminiscent of Mac apps, while popup menus look like iPhone screens. If you're familiar with either, you also know how to work the iPad.

At the same time, the iPad also runs pretty much all of the 140,000 iPhone apps available. It can run them natively at the same size they'd be on the iPhone, or double them to present the same app across most of the screen. Some apps, such as Facebook, look a little pixelated and stretched on the iPad's big new 1024x768 screen, but existing games looked awesome. In fact, I had to ask several reps if the iPad was doing any re-rendering; even with pixel doubling, iPhone games looked great and played smoothly.

Developers will be able to create customized versions of their existing apps to work with the iPad, and Apple demonstrated what some of these might look like. With more screen real estate, the things developers can do with games and other apps is simply mind blowing.

On page 2 of 3: Missing features, hardware surprises.

Missing features

There are a few things some observers expected that didn't turn up in the final design. The most obvious is a lack of support for any providers other than AT&T in the US or GSM/UMTS providers overseas. There's no CDMA version for Verizon Wireless, and it doesn't support T-Mobile's 3G frequencies (although it apparently could be activated on T-Mobile's slow GSM network, but that might not be cost effective).

The new machine uses microSIM cards and is only sold completely unlocked, with no contact subsidies and complete home activation. There's also a WiFi-only version that starts the price at just $499, much less than anyone imagined.

There are no cameras, killing any hopes that it would be used as a video conferencing device. However, most people don't like to be on camera, which is why we never had a clamoring market for videophones despite having had the technology for decades. And while its very handy to snap pics with your smartphone, it makes less sense to expect to take pictures with a tablet-sized device.

There's no provision for running multiple third party apps at once, outside of the bundled Apple apps that can work in the background, such as iPod. That, some have speculated, may be a feature of iPhone 4.0 this summer. The iPad was shown running iPhone 3.2 software.

There's currently no demonstrated way to attach the iPad to a Mac to use it as a multitouch input device, although this may be possible with third party software; if nothing else, developers could use network commands to relay touch gestures to a desktop app.

More hardware surprises

There are two docks designed for the iPad: one is a simple stand to allow recharging while playing videos or touching the screen at a near vertical position for $29, and a second dock option offers an integrated physical keyboard for $69.

The keys are nearly identical to Apple's other keyboards, although it adds a home button, a search button, a lock button, and a key to bring up the virtual keyboard on screen so you can type any foreign or special characters (or say, bring up a number pad or the Chinese touch input) without hitting some special chord sequence of keys. It will also be possible to use the iPad with an external Bluetooth keyboard, according to Apple reps in the hands-on area. Hopefully that feature will also make it into the iPhone and iPod touch.

With its HD-resolution display and Keynote, the iPad begs for video output. You can use the existing iPhone video output cables to deliver component or composite video, but you can also now use an iPad-specific cable to attach it to a VGA projector (or other display) at its native 1024x768 resolution. And while your presentation progresses, you can not only control it, but also highlight using a virtual laser pointer you move with your finger. You can also paint on the screen John Madden style to emphasize things as you speak. This will sell iPads to every conference room in America.

In addition to the VGA dongle (sold separately), there's also a USB and SD card reader adapter package for $29 that makes it easy to upload photos from your digital camera, although there wasn't any demonstration of the devices in use.

A special neoprene-like case protects the iPad like a standard book cover, but also reverses into a triangle to convert the tablet into either a freestanding TV orientation, or lays down to become a full screen mini-laptop. The case is soft but makes the device seem ruggedized, although you probably still won't want to drop it.

There's a mic and a headphone jack (it's not clear if it also supports mic-integrated headphones), so there's at least the potential for VoIP applications over WiFi. There wasn't a bundled version of the Voice Memos app on the prototype models, nor a version of the iPhone's Voice Command, but there's no reason either couldn't be added by Apple by the time it ships.

The iPad is even designed to do something when it's doing nothing. With the device at its unlock screen, there's a button to start a slideshow configured to your preferences within Settings (below). This turns the thing into a nice animated slideshow picture frame of your selected photo album as it recharges.

On page 2 of 3: Revolutionary evolution, a tough act to follow.

Revolutionary evolution

The iPad seems like a gigantic leap and a small step at once. It isn't a ballsy leap of faith by Apply by any means; it is an enhancement to its existing blockbuster SDK and App Store, not an entirely new platform like the Newton Message Pad once attempted to be.

It already runs all manner of iPhone apps, while also creating a vacuum that developers will rush to fill with new custom apps. It also syncs with Mac files for iWork, iTunes, and anything in Mail.

It isn't a single purpose device like the Amazon Kindle or Android Nook; while it serves as a capable e-reader, it is far more functional even at that, supporting embedded color graphics and video within book titles, something e-ink displays simply can't manage.

Despite that, it still has a tremendous battery life and looks great, leaving users no reason to buy a dedicated e-reader instead. It also offers fast, flicker-free page turning (or animatedly slow, if you like it that way), immediate navigation, and a choice of font styles and sizes.

Unlike stylus-based tablets like Microsoft's Pocket PC or Tablet PC devices, the iPad is fully hands-on with no pen to lose. There's no incorporation of handwritten recognition anywhere visible, just a dynamic keyboard that changes to suit the task at hand (something that is particularly prominent in Apple's Numbers spreadsheet app, where you might bring up a number pad or a full keyboard or some other specialized input system).

It's also unbelievably fast and smooth, making even the iPhone 3GS look a little slow. I witnessed the iPad cold boot within about fifteen seconds. However, you don't need to wait for it to boot because it remains on in standby for days (Jobs said a month on a single charge).

Apple has no reason to advertise its internal specs (since it isn't currently trying to market its processor to other makers), but the fact that the company is building its own custom System on a Chip called the "A4" suggests a similar fate for this year's iPhone and iPod touch (will they use the A2?). Apple's custom new ARM CPU core and I/O and video chip appears to be extremely fast and highly customized for the needs of the iPad in terms of efficiency.

A tough act to follow

Apple isn't hiding the fact that there are advantages in developing your own battery technology and processor savvy and touchscreen expertise. The unstated fact is that no other company has the resources to match what Apple created. As Jobs pointed out, his company is now the largest mobile device maker in the world in terms of revenues. But the iPad isn't just about hardware. Even if somebody duplicated it, they's still need a software ecosystem.

Apple has not only demonstrated that it can think up and create phenomenal apps of its own, but has also demonstrated impressive stuff from a few iPhone developers who only had a few weeks to whip something up. Once Apple's army of iPhone developers hit their stride, the array of apps available for the iPhone will look rudimentary in comparison. The iPad truly supports real desktop style apps with even more sophisticated multitouch input that the iPhone.

Even with all their hardware partners, Google's Android and Microsoft's Windows Mobile haven't been able to attract the same kind of attention from developers or software buying users. Apple's new iPad is unique on many levels, and demonstrates a formidable new challenger in a the formerly lackluster tablet computer market. For competitors to match it, they'll need to catch up not just in hardware but also in media distribution, in developer tools, in customer base, and in raw component technology, and all at a tremendously aggressive price.

It appears iPad launches Apple as far ahead of its peers as the iPhone did at its unveiling. It remains to be seen if the market will respond and buy up this $500 tablet revolution as quickly as it snapped up the similarly priced iPhone and iPod touch.

Daniel Eran Dilger is the author of "Snow Leopard Server (Developer Reference)," a new book from Wiley available now from Amazon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 409
    Can hardly wait to take a look at one close up. Wonder if the Apple stores will have them available in the stores for display models. I was expecting a camera on it. Never the less will still need to have one.
  • Reply 2 of 409
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

Can hardly wait to take a look at one close up. Wonder if the Apple stores will have them available in the stores for display models. I was expecting a camera on it. Never the less will still need to have one.

Count me in as well.
  • Reply 3 of 409
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    will the apple remote work??? can i use my current wireless keyboard??

i will definitely buy it for my mom and dad.
  • Reply 4 of 409
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I'm ready to place my order today... I was getting the Kindle, but after seeing this, iPad it is.
  • Reply 5 of 409
    Realizing there are a lot of valid doubts and disappointments about the iPad, I for one am very excited about the product. My kids both have the iPod Touch and I have marveled at its capabilities -- the potential seemed enormous. Now, from what I can tell, the iPad really starts to get at that potential. For starters, it seems like a real alternative to a school laptop, with some really exciting possibilities at a much lower price than the entry level MacBook.

But beyond that, and I could be delusional here, it does seem like Apple has really started to craft a product that can take all these bits and pieces of technology (and software) floating around and begun to really point the way ahead for how to integrate in a fantastic package. I can see how this type of hardware, combined with the right software integration, the understanding of how most people work with technology, and a real vision for the future could combine into some interesting solutions over the next decade.

I think back to where things were when the iMac came out and it is amazing to think of the changes across the tech landscape -- I would argue Apple has driven much of the change, not through the latest hardware specs, per se, but through their understanding of how to bring stuff together to let folks use and enjoy their technology. Should be interesting to see how this evolves -- I really hope it succeeds.
  • Reply 6 of 409
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I'm ready to place my order today... I was getting the Kindle, but after seeing this, iPad it is.

Soundslike you have abnormal hemorrhaging.
  • Reply 7 of 409
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    i can see buying one instead of a Kindle because you get so much more functionality for a little more $$$. As a replacement for a $300 laptop or netbook, no way.
  • Reply 8 of 409
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

The iPad truly supports real desktop style apps with even more sophisticated multitouch input that the iPhone.

*sniffle*

Goodbye open and free choice Mac OS X.

Meet your closed and eventual replacement with a nice hardware lock too.

No wonder the App developers are not porting to OS X.

*cry*

PS: Guess if you wanted to use a real keyboard in landscape mode you have to get the wireless one.

Is it just me, or all the accessories needed to use this device really padding the price up to laptop levels?

Quote:

This turns the thing into a

Do I sense a bit of disgust at the new iPad? "thing?" No love there apparently...
  • Reply 9 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

*sniffle*

Goodbye open and free choice Mac OS X.

Meet your closed and eventual replacement with a nice hardware lock too.

No wonder the App developers are not porting to OS X.

*cry*

Too bad you don't like it and are crying and complaining- but don't you think Apple is just giving the masses what they want?
  • Reply 10 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Too bad you don't like it and are crying and complaining- but don't you think Apple is just giving the masses what they want?

yet HP is going to market a tablet running a full version of Windows 7
  • Reply 11 of 409
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    I'm blown away by the pricing. Never in a million years did I think Apple would price this this low. While I'm anxious to buy one after the early adopters test them, I think I'll wait a bit for the 2nd version.
  • Reply 12 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teamn View Post

Realizing there are a lot of valid doubts and disappointments about the iPad, I for one am very excited about the product. My kids both have the iPod Touch and I have marveled at its capabilities -- the potential seemed enormous. Now, from what I can tell, the iPad really starts to get at that potential. For starters, it seems like a real alternative to a school laptop, with some really exciting possibilities at a much lower price than the entry level MacBook.

But beyond that, and I could be delusional here, it does seem like Apple has really started to craft a product that can take all these bits and pieces of technology (and software) floating around and begun to really point the way ahead for how to integrate in a fantastic package. I can see how this type of hardware, combined with the right software integration, the understanding of how most people work with technology, and a real vision for the future could combine into some interesting solutions over the next decade.

I think back to where things were when the iMac came out and it is amazing to think of the changes across the tech landscape -- I would argue Apple has driven much of the change, not through the latest hardware specs, per se, but through their understanding of how to bring stuff together to let folks use and enjoy their technology. Should be interesting to see how this evolves -- I really hope it succeeds.

i have a 2 year old that know how to use my iphone. he loves it. too bad he will hate the iPad since there is no Flash support. that means websites like Playhouse Disney and Thomas and Friends won't work.

and it would suck for school. no multitasking means no Pandora and doing homework at the same time
  • Reply 13 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i can see buying one instead of a Kindle because you get so much more functionality for a little more $$$. As a replacement for a $300 laptop or netbook, no way.

Have you ever used a $300 netbook? I have. They are slow and use awful operating systems- either the outdated XP, or a variation of Vista, which limps along in a netbook. The smallest ones have terrible keyboards/input methods. Awful screens. The list goes on. The iPad seems like it does everything a $300 netbook does, just far, far better, in a nicer package. This won't replace a Mac Book, but it is not intended to.
  • Reply 14 of 409
    Quote:

A lot of us wanted a Mac like that that with a USB port. Seems like a lost opportunity like the AppleTV. Don't know why I would ever want or need to have this when I have an iPhone. To read magazines only purchasable from iTunes(Books)?
  • Reply 15 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Have you ever used a $300 netbook? I have. They are slow and use awful operating systems- either the outdated XP, or a variation of Vista, which limps along in a netbook. The smallest ones have terrible keyboards/input methods. Awful screens. The list goes on. The iPad seems like it does everything a $300 netbook does, just far, far better, in a nicer package. This won't replace a Mac Book, but it is not intended to.

Have you ever seen a $500 Netbook though? Big difference. Why do you think people buy them? If they were as horrible as you state they would not be selling this well.
  • Reply 16 of 409
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

That all depends on what you are buying the laptop/netbook for. For many this would be more than enough, especially once developers start writing apps for it.
  • Reply 17 of 409
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

No, but I guess we will find out.

Look who's here everyone, Teckstud! Welcome back!

I was just watching your volcano lair while you were away. Honestly.

You never bothered me once... just was mistaken for you for a bit there.

Now go run and play while I go edit my CP....
  • Reply 18 of 409
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Count me in as well.

I would have bought one in a second if it had a front facing camera. Without it, I can wait til the next one.
  • Reply 19 of 409
    Great review/preview danny. I think these will sell like hotcakes, ti's still the same blah about apple, then everyone goes out and buys their superior product.

Good work Steve and co, we are proud as apple fans to be on the forefront of computer evolution, we are proud of a new cpu that is branded as apple A4, those pa semi guys sure did a lot of good work there, many, many, many kudos to them, proud for a new astounding product just like we've always been, let the others follow again and try to catch up. And maybe we can't colonise the moon with the ipad, but we know if someone one day is going to bring moon colonisation to the masses, apple is going to be the one who does it.

This one's for you Stevo, may you live a long long time and continue to amaze us. And to all the apple crew who worked hard and painstakingly to bring apple once again to the forefront of innovation, you are the real stars, we love you, keep up the good work, it's appreciated.
  • Reply 20 of 409
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

So? Tablet PCs have been around almost a decade. They all just dump hardware on the market with the latest release of Windows. Nothing is going to change that. Microsoft will only ever make "full blown Windows," because they're afraid of losing the Windows monopoly.