Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Well, Bundy and TEKSTUD. Take a gander at this little ditty. Firefox Mobile has just dropped Flash support too. So at least Mozilla and Apple, and certainly others, see the handwriting on the wall. Unlike your clueless selves. HTML 5 is a reality. YouTube is now on board. It will happen very quickly too.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10443090-1.html

Well said buddy, but you won't see them going around whining about it in the mozilla forums, it's all bad apple to them, that's their inane mantra.
  • Reply 62 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

"Hulu, NFL.com, Disney.com, foxsports.com, sportsillustrated.com, cnn.com, cnet.com, sports.yahoo.com, cbs.com, ufc.com. Have you used the web much?"

Yeah I have, but I prefer less idiot sites than cnn or cbs, excuse me for that, if you love these sites, then apple is doing you a favour by not supporting them in flash, maybe then you might get a clue.

Do you have a reading problem?

That wasnt my list,

Quote:

In any case case keep your laptop and your crappy sites, but stop whining no one forced you to buy an ipad did they? Get an atom crapbook too so you can access the pinnacle of unbiased journalism that is cnn.

Oh and cnet.com, another gem...

Btw, none of these site really have flash all around, some of them have more so than others, but for most of them flash isn't even integral...

Oh its not just a reading problem

you ask for people to list 10 sites. people do. tehn you get all snippy that they dont meet your high standards becuase they are shite, or only contain some flash?

People whining about flash not being on the iPad are just like those idiots whining about matte screens.
  • Reply 63 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

yet HP is going to market a tablet running a full version of Windows 7

HP and Windows 7 = double puke
  • Reply 64 of 409
    Quote:

Welcome back ...., see I restrained myself from calling you an ..... And again I restrained myself. Oh tec -stud who can we ever be studs and function sexually without flash, ohhh, such a big omission, bad bad apple. I will never enjoy life without flash.

So enjoy life with the new iPad- makes you feel fresh all day long!
  • Reply 65 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

played... lol

I paid a lot for my imac, yet I have had more problems with it than my netbook. Must have gotten what I paid for.

My touch cost as much as my netbook, yet it crashes routinely, it fails to surf the full web, doesnt allow me to install alternative programs or play alternative codex files and since 3.0, it performs rather poorly. Musta got what I paid for.

A netbook is only limited by the user, and from your comments, I can only assume you are rather limited.

As for the crashing comment, you know that's just garbage.

In terms of alternative programs, do you mean viruses? I am sure the atom handles the antivirus just fine, a few minutes lag every other hour to check for viruses and you are just fine.

for crying out loud, to come out and defend netbooks, cheap crap with what is the crappiest cpu on the market, the atom, by far from anything else, an abomination intel put together to cash in on the netbook fad...
  • Reply 66 of 409
    Today was only the first step...or the first day of the "month".

http://bit.ly/bIBP1o
  • Reply 67 of 409
    speaking of third party apps, the link below shows a screen from Delicious Library 2. Looks a lot like iBook, eh?

http://www.albinotricolors.com/image...ouslibrary.jpg

did apple recently acquire that cool app?
  • Reply 68 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Do you think this has anything to do with IDC & Gartner saying that the iPhone will be 3rd place possibly 4th place based on current Android growth.

It's called sucking it up and taking the bitter pill of projections (and analysts) saying Apple iPhone will become the Motorola RAZR.

Based on the knowledge that Apple had going into the presentation today was a pathetic performance for a new device that doesn't fit into any market and was released with an inferior OS than Android Mobile and should retire or trade in his dumbass black turtle neck for something from this era.

If this is Steve's greatest product that he is most proud of then he's old (like me) but also out of touch with the market.

Even Apple apologists are asking WHY? Except the diehard Apple Fanatics that are saying please give me another shot of Kool-Aid I love this product and don?t know why, here?s my credit card and social security number.

Edit: Forgot the posting unlike most AppleInsider articles.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/inde...newsid=3211158

For Apple to say "Oh by the way this is being driven by our new chip the A4" is an insult to anyone in the tech industry.

They buy a chip manufacturer, build a product around it and mention it in passing in a presentation for a product like the Segway that is going to change our lives and one that Jobs is most proud of.

Heck, the Apple TV POS is more innovative than this.

Before ranting about Steve Job's record why don't you tell us what have you done with your life other than shitting and farting.
  • Reply 68 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

So enjoy life with the new iPad- makes you feel fresh all day long!

Enjoy your life's mission to attack a tec company that's had it's best quarter ever, far outpacing anyone in the industry. You are firecracker. So if you say so, apple must be doing something wrong.

But do come here again when the ipad becomes the new standard it's going to be, and whine some more.
  • Reply 70 of 409
    what will be interesting is to see if any industries pick up the ipad for use. especially big ones like hospitals. even if you just use it as a video/game device for keeping kids happy during chemo and such, that's a good number of potential sales. and then there's putting them in the doctors hands for ordering meds, looking at records and such.

my own boss is already raving about how he could have one on set, access to email, have his storyboards right there, and so on. and he loves the idea that he could get the 3g one but since there's no contract he could have it for big location shot times and kill it when we are in town for a stretch (we're trying to convince him that we all need one and he should buy them for us). he's even excited about the idea that he could drop on an edit of a commercial or whatever, take it to a meet with the clients and show them a big pretty version of the video without having to haul a 5 lb laptop around.
  • Reply 71 of 409
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    I'm more interested in the new processor, TBH. I want to know if its simply a build around a reference design, or if its a ground-up new processor.

From Anandtech:

Quote:

Given the fact that it runs the iPhone OS and nearly all iPhone apps, I?m guessing the A4 is ARMv7 based. It?s possible that Apple engineered its own architecture for the A4, but more likely that it simply took an existing ARM design and modified it to suit its needs.

If Apple wanted to save cost it would?ve gone with a Cortex A8 based processor, or if it wanted more performance it would be something more A9 like. I?m not ruling out a dual-core implementation, but given the entry level cost point I?m assuming that it?s not anything quite as fantastic.

The 1GHz operating frequency implies a 45nm manufacturing process if it?s indeed an A8 or A9-like core. If we look at Apple?s public video, it appears to render a page at Spin.com in roughly 2.7 seconds. My iPhone 3GS does the same in about 7 - 9 seconds, but it also appears to be loading a lot more content on the current Spin.com site. Even if we assume that the 600MHz Cortex A8 in the iPhone 3GS can render the same page in 5 seconds, the speedup is too big to be from a clock speed increase alone.

Based on this data alone (and the responsiveness of the UI from the videos) I?m going to say that there?s a good chance that the A4 is much closer to the A9 in terms of performance. If it?s not an A9 itself, it may be Apple?s own out-of-order design.

Anyways, this is definitely a no-buy for me, I just feel a netbook at the same price can do so much more.

To recap:

-No flash

-no multitasking

-iPhone OS

-locked to iTunes

-no camera, front or back

-have to buy a dongle for anything remotely useful

And I'm still bitter that the MBP's didn't get a refresh...Come ON! 2010, and nearly 2000 dollars (CAD) gets you a 15 inch laptop with a Core 2 Duo and integrated graphics? No Apple. Just, no.
  • Reply 72 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

played... lol

I paid a lot for my imac, yet I have had more problems with it than my netbook. Must have gotten what I paid for.

My touch cost as much as my netbook, yet it crashes routinely, it fails to surf the full web, doesnt allow me to install alternative programs or play alternative codex files and since 3.0, it performs rather poorly. Musta got what I paid for.

A netbook is only limited by the user, and from your comments, I can only assume you are rather limited.

Sounds like user-error, sketchy 3rd party apps, or jailbreaking. I have and have owned dozens of apple products- not a bad one yet.
  • Reply 73 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranum View Post

...Really looking forward to picking up one of these with the keyboard dock and cover later this year. I just have to start hiding money from the wife.

looks like we have two appealing alternatives: the keyboard dock (with a keyboard that has added home, search, virtual kbd etc keys) but has to be physically attached to the front of the dock, OR the bluetooth kbd (which maybe will eventually come in a version with those added keys--i'd sure hope so)
  • Reply 74 of 409
    Quote:

As for the crashing comment, you know that's just garbage.

Nice to know, could you tell my ipod that.

How about yesterday when it took my exchange linked gmail account and wiped all of the emails (but not calendar) off it?

Or the never ending fun when you sync, only to have the ipod tell you that there are no songs/videos on the thing (check apple support forum for that fun, its been happening since early last year)

Get what I paid for?

Quote:

In terms of alternative programs, do you mean viruses? I am sure the atom handles the antivirus just fine, a few minutes lag every other hour to check for viruses and you are just fine.

Oooo I see what you did there, oh, its so novel. I might get a virus while downloading different programs. Becuase saying that really makes a difference to the conversation.

Quote:

for crying out loud, to come out and defend netbooks, cheap crap with what is the crappiest cpu on the market, the atom, by far from anything else, an abomination intel put together to cash in on the netbook fad...

If you had noticed, I was defending the netbook against the claim that you had made that was false.

The iPad may be a zillion times better. I may go out and purchase an iPad assuming the local celluar companies do not go their normal route and charge 100$ for 250megs. Doesnt change the false claims in your post.

Shame huh.
  • Reply 75 of 409
    God. Flash is yesterdays technology. HTML5 is the future. Even Google/YouTube is moving to HTML5.
  • Reply 76 of 409
    I think what most people are missing here is the potential of the iPad.

Sure, Apple doesn't appear to have reinvented computing as we know it today. However, as this technology continues to mature and more sophisticated and "professional" applications are developed, this has the potential to revolutionize the way we use computers in the future.

People have asked the question "What will OS11 look like?" I think Apple has answered that question. I believe that 5 years from now, we will look back and recognize how Apple redefined what the operating system will look like.

Instead of hate-ing on a device that doesn't live up to unrealistic expectations of people on this forum, we need not be hasty to overly bash this product without first considering the possible implications.

Remember when the iPhone was released and everyone was griping about the lack of applications for the phone...now look how it has REDEFINED the smartphone. Everyone is trying to re-create what Apple has done.

Think about the potential and I think you will get excited.
  • Reply 77 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Sounds like user-error, sketchy 3rd party apps, or jailbreaking. I have and have owned dozens of apple products- not a bad one yet.

Yes, I pushed the home button, pressed on the email, got into the inbox and had it crash me out. Must be user error.

No jailbreaking, no third party apps.

I am happy that you have owned dozens of apple products nad not had any issues, it makes me all warm inside. I am sure if I go to the apple supprot forums I will find no threads related to problems with any apple products, because as your example shows, Apple products never ever have issues.
  • Reply 78 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I got about 20 blessed minutes of time using the iPad demo units Apple had at the event today, and if I had to sum up the device with one word, that word would be ?fast?. - Daring Fireball

To answer that, sure it's fast, now. With iPhone apps less than half the screen size and lousy resolution. Just wait till they blow those apps up to full size. 3D game developers know how to punish hardware and a iPad is no Cell processor.

Quote:

Web pages render so fast it was hard to believe. After using the iPhone so much for two and a half years, I?ve become accustomed to web pages rendering (relative to the Mac) slowly. On the iPad, they seem to render nearly instantly. - Daring Fireball

The iPad was obviously on a very fast Wifi, not AT&T 3G with their overloaded network.

Quote:

And the software is obviously marvelous in many ways. It is clearly the result of deep thought and hard work. - Daring Fireball

The interface is not consistent like it is on Mac OS X to ease the learning curve, you have to hunt to find a function with the iPad OS UI. Buttons behind a page? Come on!!

On OS X it's partially categorized in the menu's for easy access, you know where to hunt if your looking to perform a function.

Quote:

Apple doesn?t talk much about the technical details of the iPhone. They never talk about CPU speed or the name of the chip being used. They don?t tell you how much RAM is in there. Part of their vision for moving computers from technical culture to popular culture is about getting away from defining these things by their technical specs. So the prominent talk about A4 is telling. This is something they want us to notice. - Daring Fireball

I prefer knowing the specs, as to gauge it's life expectancy and compute value.

Quote:

Cook told BusinessWeek, ?We believe in the simple, not the complex. We believe that we need to own and control the primary technologies behind the products we make, and participate only in markets where we can make a significant contribution.? - Daring Fireball

This is Apple's excuse for a closed device and a controlling App Store.

Google Voice app anyone?
  • Reply 79 of 409
    Quote:

Enjoy your life's mission to attack a tec company that's had it's best quarter ever, far outpacing anyone in the industry. You are firecracker. So if you say so, apple must be doing something wrong.

But do come here again when the ipad becomes the new standard it's going to be, and whine some more.

The new standard?- you're really stretching it now. That was not an attack on anything but a play on a name. What are you- oh an applelover who loves even the bad ones? I love MACS- not oversized iPod Touches. I'm not whining, I'm laughing.
  • Reply 80 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

my own boss is already raving about how he could have one on set, access to email, have his storyboards right there, and so on. and he loves the idea that he could get the 3g one but since there's no contract he could have it for big location shot times and kill it when we are in town for a stretch (we're trying to convince him that we all need one and he should buy them for us). he's even excited about the idea that he could drop on an edit of a commercial or whatever, take it to a meet with the clients and show them a big pretty version of the video without having to haul a 5 lb laptop around.

I'm with your boss. When I go out of country to shoot my next film, I'm going to give most of the heads of the departments one (and one for myself, of course). All during shooting people are always running up with laptops showing me pics of things to decide on: costume, set, location, etc. This will make that alone a ton easier. Then, I may keep my script on mine (especially if there's some easy notation), and keep colored pages easily up-to-date (and keep all my notes even with changed pages). If I could route the video feeds, I wouldn't need a monitor. I'll probably take one of these and an MBP, and that would take care of any computing needs I'd need for the shoot.