Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

Comments

• Reply 81 of 409
    this is THE device for expanding the market... it works like the nintendo wii..

bringing new users in the game... it's apple's own trojan horse..

1) is the perfect machine for internet newbies.. my mother will LOVE it... no viruses no stupid flash ads and you can reset all with a restart.. no troubles all around

2) what an experiment for apple... to make their OWN chipset.. this is the best machine they ever made.. it has their cpu and gpu it's a FULL apple product.. intel and samsung are crying now.. let's hope that in the future we will see the cpu inside the iphone and macs

3)its the perfect book reader for this reason they used a 4:3 screen.. netbooks had 1024x600 believe me the 128 pixels in the ipad make a difference in reading

4)its NOT a computer.. its aa ebook media touchscreen device.. the competition still makes computers with touchscreens.... they make NOTHING new.. this is something that we see first time..

5)its target group is NOT YOU! they are not targetting to geeks or lousy pc users nor mac experts..

its a device for newcomers in technology..

6)its better that it doesnt have cameras and shits like that it would make it cost higher! 499 it's an ACE price and believe me the competition now are in MAJOR TROUBLE...

this machine is a gift from steve to all the people that would like to join the web revolution but they were afraid to try.. this is the ipad
  • Reply 82 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The iPad was obviously on a very fast Wifi, not AT&T 3G with their overloaded network.

I don't know about your other points, but this particular one makes no sense at all.

1) The iPad is primarily a wifi, not 3G device (the latter is an optional feature).

2) I am sure folks were able to compare speeds of the iPad against their iPhones using the same wifi network in concluding that the iPad was 'fast.'
  • Reply 83 of 409
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

"Hulu, NFL.com, Disney.com, foxsports.com, sportsillustrated.com, cnn.com, cnet.com, sports.yahoo.com, cbs.com, ufc.com. Have you used the web much?"

Yeah I have, but I prefer less idiot sites than cnn or cbs, excuse me for that, if you love these sites, then apple is doing you a favour by not supporting them in flash, maybe then you might get a clue. In any case case keep your laptop and your crappy sites, but stop whining no one forced you to buy an ipad did they? Get an atom crapbook too so you can access the pinnacle of unbiased journalism that is cnn.

Oh and cnet.com, another gem...

Btw, none of these site really have flash all around, some of them have more so than others, but for most of them flash isn't even integral...

But of course only people that visit sites that do not have Flash content have a clue and are not idiots. The rest of us loser will just have to suffer because we don't have have a cool name like applelove. And while we are at it, stop whining about Flash, nobody is forcing you to visit those sites.
  • Reply 84 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

God. Flash is yesterdays technology. HTML5 is the future. Even Google/YouTube is moving to HTML5.

So are a lot of things that Apple stubbornly continues to use.
  • Reply 85 of 409
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Yes. My 9.5 year old iBook 466 SE still outperforms them, for the most part. People buy netbooks because they want something cheap to browse the internet with, and send e-mail. They sold well because they were cheap.

I doubt that it does. I have a 1.42Ghz mac mini (the originial one), it is too slow to even bother turning on these days, a heck of a lot slower than netbooks being sold.
  • Reply 86 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Yes, I pushed the home button, pressed on the email, got into the inbox and had it crash me out. Must be user error.

No jailbreaking, no third party apps.

I am happy that you have owned dozens of apple products nad not had any issues, it makes me all warm inside. I am sure if I go to the apple supprot forums I will find no threads related to problems with any apple products, because as your example shows, Apple products never ever have issues.

I never said Apple products don't fail. With the exception of manufacturing defects, however, user-error and sketchy 3rd party apps are really the only reasons why most products can fail. The software and hardware are the same for everyone; the only variable being the user.
  • Reply 87 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

I'm with your boss. When I go out of country to shoot my next film, I'm going to give most of the heads of the departments one (and one for myself, of course). All during shooting people are always running up with laptops showing me pics of things to decide on: costume, set, location, etc. This will make that alone a ton easier. Then, I may keep my script on mine (especially if there's some easy notation), and keep colored pages easily up-to-date (and keep all my notes even with changed pages). If I could route the video feeds, I wouldn't need a monitor. I'll probably take one of these and an MBP, and that would take care of any computing needs I'd need for the shoot.

How are they going to get all their content up on their iPads?
  • Reply 88 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i have a 2 year old that know how to use my iphone. he loves it. too bad he will hate the iPad since there is no Flash support. that means websites like Playhouse Disney and Thomas and Friends won't work.

and it would suck for school. no multitasking means no Pandora and doing homework at the same time

As I said, not everyone is happy, but I think my kids, both HS age, would really enjoy this and get a lot of use out of it. With the right apps developed, I could see it making a huge difference, rendering a traditional notebook unnecessary.
  • Reply 89 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I doubt that it does. I have a 1.42Ghz mac mini (the originial one), it is too slow to even bother turning on these days, a heck of a lot slower than netbooks being sold.

I only use it as most people use netbooks - browsing the internet and e-mail. It is not stock, however, as it has a 40 GB HD, 576 MB RAM, runs Tiger- with just about everything stripped out of it, and uses a RokAir WiFi adapter, as WEP only 802.11b was limiting. Boots much faster, and renders sites in Camino faster than natbooks I have used which ran IE.
  • Reply 90 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

So are a lot of things that Apple stubbornly continues to use.

Like what?
  • Reply 91 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Well, Bundy and TEKSTUD . Take a gander at this little ditty. Firefox Mobile has just dropped Flash support too. So at least Mozilla and Apple, and certainly others, see the handwriting on the wall. Unlike your clueless selves. HTML 5 is a reality. YouTube is now on board. It will happen very quickly too.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10443090-1.html

Mozilla is currenlty pissed at Google. Google is supporting both HTML5 and Flash.

Who will win the fight. It doesn't take a 3rd grader with 3 chromosomes missing to answer your question. HTML5 will be years off before it's picked up by the mainstream (Big Boys) of Video Streaming.
  • Reply 92 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Welcome back! (What happened to MrKoolaid?)

I do have to congratulate you on one thing (and, admittedly, it was one where I thought you were totally off-base): You were the first one to call it an iPad. I can't stand the name, and I think you deserve the blame for why Apple ended up calling it that.

PS: Sorry about the Jets.

Hey thanks for that. It was funny that you mentioned that. I was running into a meeting last year and said to myself I need to grab a yellow pad and that was how it came to me (iPod /iPad)- in that meeting dreaming of Apple products. You remember how I was dismissed and dissed for that name.

I'm glad it's not iSlate but surprised it's Pad. I thought it was going to be iTab though.
  • Reply 93 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Like what?

DVD and not Blu-ray.

(BTW- I just started using Chrome and this thing rocks!)
  • Reply 94 of 409
    Quote:

How are they going to get all their content up on their iPads?

It seems self-evident. The iPad can take pic files directly from the cameras or the camera cards (so everyone showing me stuff can show me on their iPads), my script supervisor would be emailing everyone the new scripts (with changes) and then handing out the color pages in the mornings. Pages would be able to let me view the script that way. There's probably some way to view storyboards like that as well. So no problem there. You did read the specs on the iPad, didn't you? None of that is a problem.
  • Reply 95 of 409
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

I only use it as most people use netbooks - browsing the internet and e-mail. It is not stock, however, as it has a 40 GB HD, 576 MB RAM, runs Tiger- with just about everything stripped out of it, and uses a RokAir WiFi adapter, as WEP only 802.11b was limiting. Boots much faster, and renders sites in Camino faster than natbooks I have used which ran IE.

I was using a netbook the other day, running Windows XP, and the Chrome browser, it ran heaps faster than anything on my Mac Mini, how old was the netbook you were using?
  • Reply 96 of 409
    Quote:

The sell well because they do what they're advertised to do at an inexpensive price and are convenient as they do it.

By the way - How much did that iBook 466 SE sell for in the year 2000 and how much would that convert to today's price $? Ever think about that?

I see your point but i think the point Stevegmu is trying to make is that his 10 year old iBook performs better than a new netbook. Divide the cost if the iBook over 10 years and tell me where the better deal is....not to mention the better user experience. iBook.....10 years old. After 10 years of service, Stevemgu has a FREE netbook. Ever think of that?

And in a couple years, he could still probably get $50-$75 for it on EBay.

Hmmmm

Now that's value!!!

You may have changed the way you say things, to fly under the radar, but you're still barking the same old, tired, close minded thoughts and opinions. Yawn!
  • Reply 97 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I was using a netbook the other day, running Windows XP, and the Chrome browser, it ran heaps faster than anything on my Mac Mini, how old was the netbook you were using?

Last one I spent time with was late last year, running Vista Basic. It was a Lenovo S, I think. Piece of junk. As I said, though, I only use the IBook for browsing and e-mail. Real work gets done on a MB Pro.
  • Reply 98 of 409
    Did Apple show the tablet to their "hands on" employees 30 minutes before Steve's Keynote? Most of the videos appear to have a Apple "Hands On" person holding the iPad with the 'visitor' asking if they can hold it, but in their QnA, it seems as if the Apple people are semi clueless about how to work the thing and it's tech specs...

Visitor: "What's that hole next to the mic jack?"... Apple" "I dunno..." Visitor: "Maybe it's the microphone?" Apple: "Yeah, that might be it!" (or something to that effect).

Or is it just me?

I guess it's what happens when Apple is so secretive about a new hardware product launch... \
  • Reply 99 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I see your point but i think the point Stevegmu is trying to make is that his 10 year old iBook performs better than a new netbook. Divide the cost if the iBook over 10 years and tell me where the better deal is....not to mention the better user experience. iBook.....10 years old. After 10 years of service, Stevemgu has a FREE netbook. Ever think of that?

And in a couple years, he could still probably get $50-$75 for it on EBay.

Hmmmm

Now that's value!!!

!

I believe it was $1800 new, which was less expensive than the competitors, and outperformed them, to boot. I can't imagine there will be any $300 netbooks running in 10 years.

Actually, mint Graphite 466 SE's with firewire and DVD are starting to appreciate, so I can probably sell it for $500 in a couple years.
  • Reply 100 of 409
    Quote:

I believe it was $1800 new, which was less expensive than the competitors, and outperformed them, to boot. I can't imagine there will be any $300 netbooks running in 10 years.

Actually, mint Graphite 466 SE's with firewire and DVD are starting to appreciate, so I can probably sell it for $500 in a couple years.

Thank you. You confirmed my point. It's nice being able to resell a piece of computing hardware for REAL $$'s after 10-12 years of reliable, virus free service, isn't it? Are there any non-Apple PC's or notebooks capable of returning that kind of value?

Hey trolls....let's talk, now, about the Apple tax.