Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

Comments

• Reply 101 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Thank you. You confirmed my point. It's nice being able to resell a piece of computing hardware for REAL $$'s after 10-12 years of reliable, virus free service, isn't it? Are there any non-Apple PC's or notebooks capable of returning that kind of value?

Hey trolls....let's talk, now, about the Apple tax.

I've never seen an Apple product in the trash. Can't tell you how many beige boxes I've seen at the curb...
  • Reply 102 of 409
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

To answer that, sure it's fast, now. With iPhone apps less than half the screen size and lousy resolution. Just wait till they blow those apps up to full size.

Huh? Not sure what you mean by that? Did you even watch the presentation or are you just talking out of your a**?

All the built-in applications were designed specifically for the iPad. Including Keynote, Pages, and Numbers - each of which seemed to have the same functionality as their Mac OS X counterparts. The calendar and contacts applications looked better then the Mac OS X versions.

This is not simply a larger iPod touch that can only run current apps - it is in fact an enhanced interface with new UI elements and will enable developers to create applications specifically for the iPad that rival desktop applications in functionality and surpass them in ease of use.
  • Reply 103 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

I never said Apple products don't fail. With the exception of manufacturing defects, however, user-error and sketchy 3rd party apps are really the only reasons why most products can fail. The software and hardware are the same for everyone; the only variable being the user.

Yet the program that crashes most often (and is commented routinely on apples own forums) is an apple designed program on an apple controlled program

must be all user error, anything else is unpossible

but congrats on the goal post shifting
  • Reply 104 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

God. Flash is yesterdays technology. HTML5 is the future. Even Google/YouTube is moving to HTML5.

So, what about today, you know, where these products are being sold?
  • Reply 105 of 409
    Great device, good review. Shame Daniel doesn't use OS X's built in spell checker.
  • Reply 106 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Yet the program that crashes most often (and is commented routinely on apples own forums) is an apple designed program on an apple controlled program

Does this app malfunction for everyone? Surely if the app alone or hardware were the problem, they would fail for everyone.

Often sketchy 3rd party apps can interact with native apps, making them buggy. I once installed a mouse-tuning app, which somehow caused folders to open and close very slow.
  • Reply 107 of 409
    Quote:

Safari slows to a crawl at times, but crashes are usually the fault of a certain Adobe plug-in or a hack.
  • Reply 108 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

I believe it was $1800 new, which was less expensive than the competitors, and outperformed them, to boot. I can't imagine there will be any $300 netbooks running in 10 years.

Actually, mint Graphite 466 SE's with firewire and DVD are starting to appreciate, so I can probably sell it for $500 in a couple years.

I think people are exaggerating the performance of $500 netbooks. Steve Jobs is good with the RDF, but you should really use one before taking his word for it. I use plenty of netbooks at work that perform quite well. The netbook my brother uses for work can handle viewing YouTube videos, a chat client AND Outlook being open at the same time (and I know from experience since that's how he typically uses his netbook). That's more than you can say for the iPad, which apparently can't handle more than one thing being open at once.

Which is my main problem with the iPad—the lack of multitasking. Who just does one thing these days? As I type I have Adium, Mail, Twieetie, Safari, Microsoft Word and Hulu Desktop open. That'd be an annoying experience on the iPad. Even the average Joe Schmo will want a chat client and Web browsing at once.

So when would I use this thing? My best guess is for traveling, but a $629 device (you need 3G for traveling) seems expensive for a couple of trips a year.
  • Reply 109 of 409
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rather than the iPhone's menu-per-page convention, apps like Settings present multiple tiers of menu levels at once. Mail shows you both your inbox in an iPhone-like view as well as a message preview, all on the same screen.

That is how I predicted they would do it a few weeks ago - like the iPhone but with multiple levels showing at once.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...1&postcount=65

Do I get my Cassandra prize now?
  • Reply 110 of 409
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Do you think this has anything to do with IDC & Gartner saying that the iPhone will be 3rd place possibly 4th place based on current Android growth.

It's called sucking it up and taking the bitter pill of projections (and analysts) saying Apple iPhone will become the Motorola RAZR.

Based on the knowledge that Apple had going into the presentation today was a pathetic performance for a new device that doesn't fit into any market and was released with an inferior OS than Android Mobile and should retire or trade in his dumbass black turtle neck for something from this era.

If this is Steve's greatest product that he is most proud of then he's old (like me) but also out of touch with the market.

Even Apple apologists are asking WHY? Except the diehard Apple Fanatics that are saying please give me another shot of Kool-Aid I love this product and don?t know why, here?s my credit card and social security number.

Edit: Forgot the posting unlike most AppleInsider articles.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/inde...newsid=3211158

For Apple to say "Oh by the way this is being driven by our new chip the A4" is an insult to anyone in the tech industry.

They buy a chip manufacturer, build a product around it and mention it in passing in a presentation for a product like the Segway that is going to change our lives and one that Jobs is most proud of.

Heck, the Apple TV POS is more innovative than this.

Why do you bother coming here?

You clearly have no imagination on how this product IS going to change how we use devices.
  • Reply 111 of 409
    n3on3o Posts: 56member
    No Boot Camp = Fail!

• Reply 112 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skittlebrau79 View Post

I think people are exaggerating the performance of $500 netbooks. Steve Jobs is good with the RDF, but you should really use one before taking his word for it. I use plenty of netbooks at work that perform quite well. The netbook my brother uses for work can handle viewing YouTube videos, a chat client AND Outlook being open at the same time (and I know from experience since that's how he typically uses his netbook). That's more than you can say for the iPad, which apparently can't handle more than one thing being open at once.

Which is my main problem with the iPad?the lack of multitasking. Who just does one thing these days? As I type I have Adium, Mail, Twieetie, Safari, Microsoft Word and Hulu Desktop open. That'd be an annoying experience on the iPad. Even the average Joe Schmo will want a chat client and Web browsing at once.

So when would I use this thing? My best guess is for traveling, but a $629 device (you need 3G for traveling) seems expensive for a couple of trips a year.

When would you use it (here are some of my examples):-

- I would use this at home rather than sitting at the iMac or having a heavy and hot MacBook on my lap, it is perfect for casual web, email, chat, Facebook, etc. No need to get up and down all the time to the computer and so much better with big screen access. For me it will be sat on the coffee table right in front of me, where I can access everything I want at the touch of a finger. So much easier to carry around the house to use than a laptop and much better battery life.

- For reading books anywhere - not just travelling. Some of use read quite a lot;

- For browsing the web while sat on the sofa at home, so much better than using a laptop;

- For controlling iTunes on the computer (remember the Apple Remote app will work on it);

- For a hand held game playing experience that NO other handheld game machine can provide;

- For watching video on a realistic and sensible sized screen;

- Using all the great new apps that will be produced, we have not even thought about what we can do with the big touch screen yet. This will be THE selling point of the device - APPS, just as it pushed the sales of iPhones.

- I also suspect we will see OS 4.0 before it is launched, clearly they did not want to show that now as it would give away to much info on the iPhone future. The new OS will give us much, much more.
  • Reply 113 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

How are they going to get all their content up on their iPads?

Using the USB camera connector that Apple are selling.

It lets you connect still and video cameras.

So when the photos / video editing Apps are released - sorted!
  • Reply 114 of 409
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Can the keyboard/dock be used with the iPad positioned in landscape mode?

No, only in portrait mode. There is only one port.

To use it in landscape mode, a wireless keyboard and software will be needed on the iPad.

The iPad has Bluetooth, so it should work eventually when Apple permits it of course, nobody knows at this time.
  • Reply 115 of 409
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

speaking of third party apps, the link below shows a screen from Delicious Library 2. Looks a lot like iBook, eh?

http://www.albinotricolors.com/image...ouslibrary.jpg

did apple recently acquire that cool app?

mike matas, one of the designers of delicious library, worked at apple for a number of years until recently. that might have something to do with it.
  • Reply 116 of 409
    Quote:

So, what about today, you know, where these products are being sold?

you would probably be happier with a crunchpad... oh wait!
  • Reply 117 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n3o View Post

No Boot Camp = Fail!

now THAT'S funny!

• Reply 118 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Huh? Not sure what you mean by that? Did you even watch the presentation or are you just talking out of your a**?

All the built-in applications were designed specifically for the iPad. Including Keynote, Pages, and Numbers - each of which seemed to have the same functionality as their Mac OS X counterparts. The calendar and contacts applications looked better then the Mac OS X versions.

This is not simply a larger iPod touch that can only run current apps - it is in fact an enhanced interface with new UI elements and will enable developers to create applications specifically for the iPad that rival desktop applications in functionality and surpass them in ease of use.

Yea the built in apps, fine, not really needing a lot of FPS anyway, and Apple isn't going to slow the machine down anyway with a lot of fancy GUI eye candy anyway.

But as developers scale up their software to meet the capabilities of the iPad, it's going to slow it down in performance later is my point.

Since most software sold for iPods/iPhones is games, you better believe the same will be for the iPad. And 3D games are taxing to machines, always pushing the limits of quality detail etc.

I got up to a 9 core Cell processor in my PS3, NINE CORES, to drive the High Definition realistic 3D games. How is some 1Ghz air cooled with integrated graphics single core processor going to compete with that? It can't. The iPad doesn't even have a decent resolution screen.

So games and software is going to hit the wall real fast and stop, because any faster will cause too much heat.
  • Reply 119 of 409
    Does anyone know how much the leather case will be?
  • Reply 120 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

How are they going to get all their content up on their iPads?

Wait for the full moon and watch for mood changes?...

i pads, maxi pads...

never mind...