Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

Comments

• Reply 121 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I got up to a 9 core Cell processor in my PS3, NINE CORES, to drive the High Definition realistic 3D games. How is some 1Ghz air cooled with integrated graphics single core processor going to compete with that? It can't. The iPad doesn't even have a decent resolution screen.

So games and software is going to hit the wall real fast and stop, because any faster will cause too much heat.

Yes, the iPad is destined to compete with the PS3. I also wonder if I asked you what a "Cell" processor is, if you would be able to answer correctly.
  • Reply 122 of 409
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    1) Although it is deemed iPhone OS 3.2 it doesn't make sense that it is called iPhone OS since this clearly is a different implementation unlike what the iPod Touch borrows. I suspect either this will become the iPad OS (not likely) or that 3.2 is a stop-gap version and will never be released on production devices. More likely a unified version (4.0) will go out for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod. Apple should change the name from iPhone OS to OSX Mobile.

2) Since they are super sizing the apps from the iPhone to the iPad, then what's stopping them from allowing Mac owners to run them on Mac OSX? One would say the device itself as the controller. Couldn't Apple (with all their brains) make a Wii-like controller the emulates having an iPhone/iPod for the Macs. Call it "Magic Wand".

3) We only got half the story today. Where's the TV, newspaper, and magazine subscriptions? Not to mention Lala integration. I suppose those things warrant another media event around the time the iPad goes on sale.

4) These things will sell 10 of millions if Apple can produce them fast enough. I plan on buying the low-end wi-fi only version. Why? Wi-fi is everywhere and soon to be in cars via wi-fi modem sticks (Ford's next version of Sync). It is strange that AT&T is the only 3G option - very strange.
  • Reply 123 of 409
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    On the other hand I was gaming for a lot more flash in each model. This limitation is a big disappointment, especially in a device that will be able to run a wide variety of apps.

The performance is not un expected either, but I'm biting at the tooth for more technical info with respect to the engine driving the iPad. For example how much RAM are we dealing with here, how many ARM cores, what is the GPU and finally what else is integrated into the SoC? This is where Appleinsider needs to concentrate it's bloggers, dig deep and pry out the info. I only ask because the few videos I've seen seem to indicate surprisingly good performance. Plus knowing the RAM allottment will tell us a lot about future software capabilities and user multitasking support.

I will put this politely as I can but requiring an external dongle for USB and SD Card support is grossly stupid in my mind. At a minimal the tablet needs one standard USB port. Support for a built in SD slot would have been better too. Especially considering Apple seemed to be standardizing on that card slot.

All in all it looks like it is close to what I was expecting. Not to bad, but way stingy with respect to flash. I would have preferred a 7" model for greater portability but let's imagine that as a future product.

Oh one more thing, the camera free nature and the option of deleting 3G will be huge for business adoption. I suspect this adoption will ramp significantly once the version 4 software comes out.

Dave
  • Reply 124 of 409
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

Does anyone know how much the leather case will be?

Leather? from Apple? The flip case?

You mean plastic case, Apple I don't think will do leather, upset too many animal huggers, and sorry no I didn't get a price from the private live stream I had today, it wasn't announced.
  • Reply 125 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

...I will put this politely as I can but requiring an external dongle for USB and SD Card support is grossly stupid in my mind. At a minimal the tablet needs one standard USB port. Support for a built in SD slot would have been better too. Especially considering Apple seemed to be standardizing on that card slot.

No your right, it was stupid of Apple to not include a SD slot, a recessed spring loaded SD slot actually with support up to 2TB SDXC's including the speed. That's the future, video on SD cards and then transfer to iPad for viewing.

Opps bad Apple, missed that boat.

Quote:

Oh one more thing, the camera free nature and the option of deleting 3G will be huge for business adoption. I suspect this adoption will ramp significantly once the version 4 software comes out.

Business don't do Apple, they don't do glossy portables and they certainly won't do iPad's in any significant amounts, just niche uses here and there. Hospitals might like it though.
  • Reply 126 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Apple should change the name from iPhone OS to OSX Mobile.

It is strange that AT&T is the only 3G option - very strange.

I disagree on the OS X labeling. Apple has tried to differentiate between its handheld mobiles and laptops and desktops. For example, when someone says "Windows Mobile", there is a certain degree of expectation that comes with that name in terms of how the software should look, feel, and function. I think Apple is trying to avoid what happened to early netbooks when they were sold as cheap laptops, then dealt with consumer backlash because they weren't sufficiently powerful enough to do all that laptops were expected to do. (May 2009, Intel conference where it was mentioned that some manufacturers saw 30%+ return rates on their netbooks.) So I think AVOIDING the term OS X means that users don't confuse the two classes of devices and therefore sets the proper expectations for performance and function. If it wasn't clear from the presentation, the iPad is not supposed to compete with netbooks (Jobs called them "cheap laptops", which they are), but rather, stands on its own as a new device category. Comparing the iPad to a netbook is useless as Apple clearly sees the intended market a little differently.

And AT&T is the logical choice as they are the only major US provider that operates both 3G and EDGE networks on the same frequencies that other major carriers do around the world. Adding extra chips to support other standards and frequencies doesn't seem necessary when Apple is already selling plenty of iPhones (and now iPads, presumably) without them.
  • Reply 127 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

Yes, the iPad is destined to compete with the PS3. I also wonder if I asked you what a "Cell" processor is, if you would be able to answer correctly.

Look up "Cell processor" in Wikipedia yourself, my point was that although the iPad looks fast now, it's not going to be the case once apps are scaled up to meet it's limited performance and heat capability.

It's only 1 Ghz, not very much, even if they put a lot of bandwidth in the thing.
  • Reply 128 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

2) Since they are super sizing the apps from the iPhone to the iPad, then what's stopping them from allowing Mac owners to run them on Mac OSX? One would say the device itself as the controller. Couldn't Apple (with all their brains) make a Wii-like controller the emulates having an iPhone/iPod for the Macs. Call it "Magic Wand".

Why didn't Apple provide a SDK dual compiler for OS X on Mac's too? Think it would help Mac sales right? Run the same apps on your iPhone as your new Mac, screw Windows right?

It's because Apple wants this new closed App Store universe and everyone else is being shown the Bootcamp> Learn Windows > Out the door you go.

Quote:

3) We only got half the story today. Where's the TV, newspaper, and magazine subscriptions? Not to mention Lala integration. I suppose those things warrant another media event around the time the iPad goes on sale.

They are waiting to see how well it sells before committing, letting the desperate (still technically bankrupt) NY Times be the test subject as it seems Apple is going to want a cut of ad revenue too.

Quote:

4) These things will sell 10 of millions if Apple can produce them fast enough. I plan on buying the low-end wi-fi only version. Why? Wi-fi is everywhere and soon to be in cars via wi-fi modem sticks (Ford's next version of Sync). It is strange that AT&T is the only 3G option - very strange.

Know when to say when!

Don't iPad and Drive!
  • Reply 129 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

you would probably be happier with a crunchpad... oh wait!

because thats relevant to the discussion
  • Reply 130 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Does this app malfunction for everyone? Surely if the app alone or hardware were the problem, they would fail for everyone.

Often sketchy 3rd party apps can interact with native apps, making them buggy. I once installed a mouse-tuning app, which somehow caused folders to open and close very slow.

of course, problems have to happen to every single person to be valid....

but once again, seeing as you are apparently not capable of understanding.

No sketchy apps

No jailbreaking

Apple apps
  • Reply 131 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Safari slows to a crawl at times, but crashes are usually the fault of a certain Adobe plug-in or a hack.

if the ipod has no flash support, how is it the fault of the plug-in?
  • Reply 132 of 409
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i can see buying one instead of a Kindle because you get so much more functionality for a little more $$$. As a replacement for a $300 laptop or netbook, no way.

I see it as a replacement for both and will get one the moment it is out in Canada (and I just got a great Asus netbook with 8-10 hour battery life that I really like, am also a real Tablet (as in stylus) user). The iPad is going to change things in a big way, for me at least.

philip
  • Reply 133 of 409
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:

yet HP is going to market a tablet running a full version of Windows 7

I have an HP2710p. Nice tablet ( not the same type as the iPad or the newer touch HP) and I really prefer nontouch screens for writing during lectures. But, HP is no Apple. I'll be getting an iPad the second it's available.

philip
  • Reply 134 of 409
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    One of the strengths of Kindle is anyone can publish a book. I've done one (check out my blog in my sig if curious). The tools when I used them were clunky but not too hard. If this is only open to big publishers, it will stifle the kind of creativity you should be able to get from electronic publishing with almost zero cost if a book doesn't sell.

I can't find any info on how to publish (though that hasn't stopped several people advertising services to do so for you).
  • Reply 135 of 409
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

no flash on iphone and no multi tasking is getting annoying. if i bought this my son would want to use it. once his websites don't work, he will hate it. no flash means most of the internet won't work on it unless there is an app for a website.

if this is a netbook replacement, it needs to at least support features that netbooks support and not limit the software i can install. it's ok for a cell phone, not for what supposed to be a computer

and I think the entire tablet thing from all manufacturers is a scam and a fad. dumbed down and locked device who's only purpose is to make you buy "content" and raise the ARPU of the device

Except it is not supposed to be a computer.

It is supposed to be a tablet - not a tablet as in "touch screen computer without keyboard", but tablet as in new platform.

Different question is, is it offering enough to be considered - and accepted - as a new platform? I am a bit doubtful at present, but lets wait and see what developers will do with it.

I have no doubts, however, that it will sell well... enough. But will it repeat stellar success of an iPhone, that I am a bit doubtful of. Time will tell.

As it is, for me, it doesn't work. I want a tablet that will replace my laptop. I have iPhone for ultra portable and big bad desktop for heavy duty, so I need something to be more portable than laptop, yet capable of doing most if not all of the laptop duties. It doesn't have to be fully featured Intel based computer - I am OK with any exotic hardware manufacturer is willing to put in - al long as it is opened enough. Which it isn't. Personally, I need an option to connect it to my home network and grab files from my server, as well as to easily copy files back - documents, old ebooks I already have, images, comics. I need to plug card reader and dump photos from my SLR on travels. I can go without editing them on tablet, but at least I'd like to sort them, remove bad ones, eventually email a few to my family and friends on the go. And I need MS Office compatibility. Option to plug USB flash or HDD to copy files to or from. Heck, option to plug mouse or joypad for some games (old school, me). And list goes on.

So definitely not for me. But I'm sure number of people who will find it doing all they need of it will be big enough to keep platform alive and healthy.
  • Reply 136 of 409
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Apple's iBook is based on ePub. That means that the user has choice in terms of layout (font for instance), because ePub is more of a content standard than a visualisation standard.

But what about truly stunning books where you want to control layout precisely. Where in your text, you have added 3D-models of what you describe. Where you have large complex mathematical formula's that have to look TeX-like gorgeous?
  • Reply 137 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Mozilla is currenlty pissed at Google. Google is supporting both HTML5 and Flash.

Who will win the fight. It doesn't take a 3rd grader with 3 chromosomes missing to answer your question. HTML5 will be years off before it's picked up by the mainstream (Big Boys) of Video Streaming.

All the Big Boys [Content Producers ala Time Warner, Sony, Microsoft, etc] are licensees of H.264 and WebKit is even being ported to WinCE to have native HTML5.
  • Reply 138 of 409
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

Apple's iBook is based on ePub. That means that the user has choice in terms of layout (font for instance), because ePub is more of a content standard than a visualisation standard.

But what about truly stunning books where you want to control layout precisely. Where in your text, you have added 3D-models of what you describe. Where you have large complex mathematical formula's that have to look TeX-like gorgeous?

Unless the referencing style I am compelled to use at University (AGLC if you care) will permit paragraph pinpointing for text books, this kind of flexibility is going to have little value to me as a student. These are pertinent questions if the tertiary education sector are going to take e-book seriously.
  • Reply 139 of 409
    Quote:

i have a 2 year old that know how to use my iphone. he loves it. too bad he will hate the iPad since there is no Flash support. that means websites like Playhouse Disney and Thomas and Friends won't work.

and it would suck for school. no multitasking means no Pandora and doing homework at the same time

What a tragic young life - torn between and anti-apple pro-flash dichotomy at just two years old. Cast into a life of hatred and techno-dystopia before he ever knew what HTML5 is!

And to think 100 years ago he'd be three years from a life down the mines.

Poor child - how far we have regressed!

If only he was smart enough to know about push-notification, but alas it seems he has an idiot for a father who is intent on stifling his progress through life in order to make fatuous points on the internet.
  • Reply 140 of 409
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Except it is not supposed to be a computer.

It is supposed to be a tablet - not a tablet as in "touch screen computer without keyboard", but tablet as in new platform.

Different question is, is it offering enough to be considered - and accepted - as a new platform? I am a bit doubtful at present, but lets wait and see what developers will do with it.

I have no doubts, however, that it will sell well... enough. But will it repeat stellar success of an iPhone, that I am a bit doubtful of. Time will tell.

............................removed for brevity........................

So definitely not for me. But I'm sure number of people who will find it doing all they need of it will be big enough to keep platform alive and healthy.

EXACTLY!

Your last statement is 'spot-on' nikon133

and here's more from Wilson Rothman (in Giz) that confirms it....

"We can sit here in our geeky little dorkosphere arguing about it all day, but as much as Apple clearly enjoys our participation, the people Jobs wants to sell this to don't read our rants. They can't even understand them. My step-mother refuses to touch computers, but nowadays checks email, reads newspapers and plays Solitaire on an iPod Touch, after basically picking it up by accident one day. That's a future iPad user if I ever saw one.

Jobs doesn't care about the netbook business, or the ebook business. He's just aiming for the same people they were aiming at. The difference is, he's going to reach them. And the fight will be with whoever enters into the tablet business with him. Paging Mr. Ballmer..."