MBP: WTF? When!?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So I was ready to buy a newly updated MacBook Pro. I need one soon-ish for work and school. I can hold out a few more weeks. Thoughts on MBP updates anyone? Ya'll think it'll come out in a few weeks? My thinking was Steve just wanted to make sure all the press was on the iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    OK, so what's wrong with the ones available now?
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Because it would be silly to buy a current C2D when all the other PC boys are running core i5, i7.

I need a Mac, but I'm not replacing my 2 year old C2D Dell with another C2D.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

I need a Mac, but I'm not replacing my 2 year old C2D Dell with another C2D.

You don't see the difference between a Dell and a Mac?
  • Reply 4 of 60
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Same here - WTF (Why The Face?). I hope they will get updated in a couple of weeks, but with the whole Nvida thing - who knows?
  • Reply 5 of 60
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Dont be silly. You have been around long enough to know what a downer it is to drop $1,500-$2,000 on your brand new machine only to have something spiffier announced a few weeks later. I am on the edge of the market right now, and I would not buy a MBP at this moment unless I had no choice. Who knows? It might be another 6 months... but I doubt it.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I would not buy a MBP at this moment unless I had no choice. Who knows? It might be another 6 months... but I doubt it.

I can wait a little longer. I'm using my Rev A 12" Powerbook 867MHz running Leopard.

I've waited this long.

But it hurts.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    It's not just the processors. The Macbook Pro's video hardware is really outdated vs. the PC industry. Apple HAS TO KEEP UP WITH PCs if they want to provide the ability to run windows.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:

I can't justify Apple prices for the same generation of hardware that I have now.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    Quote:

It's not just the processors. The Macbook Pro's video hardware is really outdated vs. the PC industry. Apple HAS TO KEEP UP WITH PCs if they want to provide the ability to run windows.

Current Macs can run Windows 7. I don't think that Windows 8 will be out anytime soon. You will get years of productive use out of your Mac running Windows before this becomes an issue. Of course, productive use won't help you win p!ssing contests with your little friends and that's what this is all about, isn't it?
  • Reply 10 of 60
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    I would REALLY appreciate IPS panels for maybe the Macbook Pro series. If the 9.7" iPad can have IPS, and obviously the Cinema displays (although a refresh here would be nice, too), and the 21.5" and 27" iMac's all have IPS, why not a 15" or 17" panel for the Macbook (Pro)?
  • Reply 11 of 60
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

Current Macs can run Windows 7. I don't think that Windows 8 will be out anytime soon. You will get years of productive use out of your Mac running Windows before this becomes an issue. Of course, productive use won't help you win p!ssing contests with your little friends and that's what this is all about, isn't it?

It is not about a pissing contest. It is about the current standard hardware specs and value for your money. If you want to spend $2000 dollars on a laptop then have below industry standard hardware be my guest. What they are saying is they don't want to spend the 2 grand on a MBP today and then in June have the new MBP come out with the updated specs. It is not about have the fastest or the greatest it is about value for the money.......
  • Reply 12 of 60
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey

Dont be silly. You have been around long enough to know what a downer it is to drop $1,500-$2,000 on your brand new machine only to have something spiffier announced a few weeks later.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Welshdog that's a nice little laptop. One of the best they've ever made. My fiancee still has hers and refuses to give it up.

IPS screens, that another interesting consideration. Mainly though, I want new CPUs. Modern graphics would be nice of course, but I will be doing heavy lifting CPU-wise with GIS and image processing so that is my biggest interest in terms of the next MBP update. We certainly are due for an update, considering Intel released new chips, and it's been a while:

See here: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

Following their historic release patterns, it should be soon. I'd add, hopefully not as late as June, geekdad! I'm holding out a few more weeks...
  • Reply 13 of 60
    I too have been holding out for an updated Macbook pro. I wonder if part of the issue is that they have too much of their engineering staff working on the iPad to get a Macbook Pro update done. Especially if they have to re-work the video to support a new intel graphics chip.

I don't have any idea how the engineering resources in a company like apple are structured. Anyone have any insight into that? Is there a dedicated team working on laptops that wouldn't get pulled into the iPad engineering?

Some people have been commenting that the current hardware is fine and we shouldn't wait, but it just seems crazy to me to shell out $2k for a notebook that will be updated in what should be the near term.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    It'll come in the coming weeks fellas, so chillax. Now that this iPad business is done and over with we will see updates before the 60 days until the iPad is released are up.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    I was thinking that they had all their resources in the iPad basket but they have separate divisions for hardware at Apple (embedded vs. intel also) - besides, the level of secrecy involved in the tablet, laptop engineers were not working on it. They may be having problems with the new intel embedded graphics snafu and also probably didn't want to take any wind out of the iPad sails (they'll need all they can get. Lol).
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Quote:

I run Windows specific graphics-intensive applications. I am f-ing tired of windows 7 (64) it's given me so much trouble. I want to go mac, but I refuse to pay 2x as much as a current windows laptop that that has inferior hardware (that I need).
  • Reply 17 of 60
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

I run Windows specific graphics-intensive applications. I am f-ing tired of windows 7 (64) it's given me so much trouble. I want to go mac, but I refuse to pay 2x as much as a current windows laptop that that has inferior hardware (that I need).

Graphics issues, really?? I will be doing imagery, not graphics per se, it's not really accelerated. But I was planning on using Windows 7 Server (officially called Windows 2008 R2) in Bootcamp and VMWare a lot. What kind of issues is Windows 7 giving you hawf?

Outsider, I too was assuming that Steve was just waiting to release new MBPs so all the attention could be on this darn iPad. I was just soooo in the zone to order up a new Mac this week, it's been a while. Well, I suppose I can wait a bit more.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Really? Is this a serious post? I've been thinking about replacing my MBP too, but I'm not dropping $2k on a rather outdated piece of tech (and we're not waiting for a speed-bump here, the bump to i3/5/7 is the the next intel "tick" and it's a large jump, not just in CPU but in a huge number of pieces of the chipset). If I'm justifying the price I need to have a big enough performance boost to make it worth it. For those of us who actually spend our own money on computers that's kinda important. I'm glad you have $2k to drop on outdated tech just because it has an apple logo on it, most people dont. For those of us who make money using our comps it's an even bigger concern, more performance=more work I can get done=more bang/buck on the hardware (also more money to spend on hardware in the future :-p). Is this hard to comprehend?

Plus, in terms of windows, sometimes people want to *game*. A lot of people on this board work using OSX and game under windows. The ability to use both is a current big selling point of buying a mac, one apple's been crying from the rooftops lately. It's not unreasonable for people to want hardware they can use for that with current generation games and decently high settings, and not at todays prices but yesterdays tech.

Yes, there are people for whom the bump wont matter, their general web browsing and word processing wont be altered much, if at all, by the hardware bump. There is, however, nothing wrong for those people who *will* be effected, for whom the performance *does* matter getting frustrated. Bear in mind that at least the upper range of the MBPs bear the "pro" moniker for a reason, they are aimed at professionals, at developers, scientists, photographers, etc - most of whom would welcome a performance boost.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    @Aquatic

I feel ya, I'm in the same boat. My work MBP needs a serious upgrade, a 2.4GHz CD2. I find that running VMWare with Win7 is unbearable with 4GB RAM and all the apps I have running on the Mac side.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Graphics issues, really?? I will be doing imagery, not graphics per se, it's not really accelerated. But I was planning on using Windows 7 Server (officially called Windows 2008 R2) in Bootcamp and VMWare a lot. What kind of issues is Windows 7 giving you hawf?

Actually not graphics issues. I'm having problems with Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office that I wasn't having under 7 RC.