Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

So you suggest they change the name of the product they already called iBook to um...?

There's nothing wrong with reusing the name IMO. That said I don't mind iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

There's nothing wrong with reusing the name IMO. That said I don't mind iPad.

The iPad doesn't have the same sex appeal as the iPhone. Imagine saying.. hey, do you have my ipad to any female... lol.

Bloody pads.
  • Reply 23 of 242
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    iPad fits in well with the mobile nomenclature of IP: iPod, iPhone, iPad

iBook is already taken and iBunch wouldn't work

with the Mac nomenclature there are some possibilities: MacPad, MacTab, MacJournal. but the Mac nomenclature is more about laptops, desktops and that realm of power and use.

Maybe the iPad is the 5th choice on the list, but the first available that still met the requirements.
  • Reply 24 of 242
    [QUOTE=Outsider;1559973]In 60 days I think Apple will have multitasking fleshed out in the OS ready for shipping iPads. We may even see Flash 10.1.

There is as much chance for that as Apple preloading Windows 7 in bootcamp on their Macs
  • Reply 25 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

In fact - this is the opposite of a niche product. It will work for everybody in one way or the other. If this thing was lying around at home who would NOT use it?

Well thats true. I'm buying two, one for developing with and one which I'm just gonna have kick around the house for my family to use, or when someone goes traveling or light browsing etc. So many uses.
  • Reply 26 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bostondude55 View Post

The iPad doesn't have the same sex appeal as the iPhone. Imagine saying.. hey, do you have my ipad to any female... lol.

Bloody pads.

do you pad lightly or heavy? hmmmm?
  • Reply 27 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

i

iBook is already taken.

For what?
  • Reply 28 of 242
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

So you suggest they change the name of the product they already called iBook to um...?

They've not sold a product called iBook for a good while now. I think consumers could cope with the confusion...

The only reason I can think of for not calling it the iBook is that it would place too much emphasis on one function of the device.

iPad is okay. Much better than iSlate or iTablet. I just like the sounds of 'iBook'...
  • Reply 29 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

do you pad lightly or heavy? hmmmm?

LOL

i wouldn't be surprised if apple changes this device's name during its relaunch in 2011.

apple's rapid response (PR) team already pulled the most viewed MadTV iPad parody (on Youtube). it had over 600k views. they're definitely concerned.
  • Reply 30 of 242
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Did you hear Jobs say to Mossberg "Publishers are going to pull their books from Amazon because they're not happy with them..." (video cuts awkwardly at that point)

Also, the bezel is necessary because of the way you will hold the device - an iPhone or Touch is sort of cupped in your hand, or pinched at the bottom (where there is a bezel). The iPad's size will require you to often grasp it between your thumb and fingers, and that will be done along the edge where the bezel is, otherwise you would be covering content and inadvertently activating touch gestures.
  • Reply 31 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

The only reason I can think of for not calling it the iBook is that it would place too much emphasis on one function of the device..

Precisely, that is the only reason, and it's a good reason. They needed a generic name.
  • Reply 32 of 242
    ggfggf Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

We regularly mock these analysts, but for me, they seem to have got the point better than half the armchair experts on this an similar sites.

The iPad is about moving information consumption in the home away from the traditional television and general purpose computer. ....

Good post - a suggestion I read elsewhere on another blog was that you end up with one main media computer/hub in the house for your backups and synching and everyone has there own ipad so they can do their own browsing etc with out having to compete for the main computer - much cheaper than having multiple desktops and much better experience than laptops - which are hot as hell and not great to lounge about with.

If you want to type large amounts of text you need a full size keyboard and a desk. Most serious laptops get used at a desk not sitting in a lounge chair. This is not a desk bound computer.

The ipad works for me - I will probably buy one as a replacement for my ibook g4 which has just died - we have several other computers in the house and I used the ibook for browsing etc because it was small - current macbooks are too big and bulky - especially on a plane. Appeals to me much more than a netbook
  • Reply 33 of 242
    Quote:

Well thats true. I'm buying two, one for developing with and one which I'm just gonna have kick around the house for my family to use, or when someone goes traveling or light browsing etc. So many uses.

i think you are spot on about its general use.

I think that just like the iphone/ipod touch was general, industry found ways to make it specific for them. Best example the checkout system in the apple store.

the ipad has the same potential but with greater power applications that can be developed. And with the larger screen, this could replace a lot of paper forms for things like real estate agents.
  • Reply 34 of 242
    Quote:

For what?

for the iBook laptop computer that people still use, and other people still sell on ebay, and companies still support with replacement parts, and software companies that still sell old titles, and historians still keep track of because of its originally cool color clamshell case. Need more?
  • Reply 35 of 242
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

for people complaining about the name (it sounds weird i guess, i'm okay with it) and wanting it to be called ibook, do you think that a company that's released a product that had the name ibook before, will launch a completely different product with the same name?

It's not totally unheard of to reuse an old name for a different product. The name hasn't been used in a product for about four years, and given Apple's significant growth, it might well be that most of Apple's current and prospective customers might have never heard of the old product name.

A more plausible reason is that "iBook" implies a very specific purpose, when the product itself is a lot broader than that. The old iBook was to mean it was a consumer notebook computer. Now, with the book store feature, there's a small risk of typecasting because of the name.

Personally, I wished Apple would phase out the "i" naming system.

The complaints about the cost of the 3G radio doesn't seem to look at the fact that it's unlocked, and the plan is a lot cheaper than similar plans for netbooks. I haven't seen a data plan for a large screen computer device for $15/mo, ever. I recall a data plan for $10/mo for a feature phone with a 1" screen, that's it.
  • Reply 36 of 242
    A single multi-functional device starting $500 that can replace at less four-five devices that are currently out in the market. This thing will sell like hot cakes, maybe even exceed analyst's expectations. Ultimately, i think the limited memory (16GB-64GB) and without USB ports for add-ons is the biggest drawback.
  • Reply 37 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ggf View Post

Good post - a suggestion I read elsewhere on another blog was that you end up with one main media computer/hub in the house for your backups and synching and everyone has there own ipad so they can do their own browsing etc with out having to compete for the main computer - much cheaper than having multiple desktops and much better experience than laptops - which are hot as hell and not great to lounge about with.

If you want to type large amounts of text you need a full size keyboard and a desk. Most serious laptops get used at a desk not sitting in a lounge chair. This is not a desk bound computer.

The ipad works for me - I will probably buy one as a replacement for my ibook g4 which has just died - we have several other computers in the house and I used the ibook for browsing etc because it was small - current macbooks are too big and bulky - especially on a plane. Appeals to me much more than a netbook

i do like the fact that you can connect your apple bluetooth keyboard to it. I expect that that ability (greater than simple headphones) may lead to other interesting BT accessories down the road.
  • Reply 38 of 242
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

He did note that the lack of Verizon compatibility, absence of a camera, and inability to multitask were disappointing. But Abramsky believes the simplicity of the iPad will be its greatest strength.

This is the kind of double speak that reveal the so-called analysts to be just a bunch bs swillers.
  • Reply 39 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's not totally unheard of to reuse an old name for a different product. The name hasn't been used in a product for about four years, and given Apple's significant growth, it might well be that most of Apple's current and prospective customers might have never heard of the old product name.

A more plausible reason is that "iBook" implies a very specific purpose, when the product itself is a lot broader than that. The old iBook was to mean it was a consumer notebook computer. Now, with the book store feature, there's a small risk of typecasting because of the name.

Personally, I wished Apple would phase out the "i" naming system.

but the great thing about ipad is, like was mentioned above, it doesn't mean anything. The name doesn't recall images of a laptop, it doesn't recall images of an ebook reader, and it doesn't recall images of a netbook.

The name is wide open to grow into its own image.
  • Reply 40 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

A single multi-functional device starting $500 that can replace at less four-five devices that are currently out in the market. This thing will sell like hot cakes, maybe even exceed analyst's expectations. Ultimately, i think the limited memory (16GB-64GB) and without USB ports for add-ons is the biggest drawback.

i agree...

if i had to choose i would not choose a netbook with windows and viruses, and a physical keyboard over this

if you need usb you can use the cable...they'll probably add a camera in future revisions...and if processor research goes well, even add multitasking since it seems everyone wants that...