Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

There's nothing wrong with reusing the name IMO. That said I don't mind iPad.

Really now people .... does it really matter what it's called.... Zune! nice name. it's about what it can do now, right out of the box and what it holds for the future. The line is always drawn by PC and MAC user.. You don't want an OS, it's about surfing the web, emails, photos and doing it in an intuitive fashion. It will soon be about Cloud not storing on your device, Google apps. Business will soon come to it, whether it's a Apple product or a HP. It will be all about touch and feel of the product and the elegance of the experience. Sorry, I don't mean to talk like Steve Jobs but it's true.
  • Reply 42 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

In 60 days I think Apple will have multitasking fleshed out in the OS ready for shipping iPads. We may even see Flash 10.1.

And in the next 2 month, developers will have some time to come out with some killer apps that will demonstrate the true potential of the iPad.

There is no way in hell Apple will have multitasking ready (if they are even thinking about it).

A big part of what makes this work is that it works the same way the iPhone works. Multitasking not only makes the use-model different (way different) but it also makes it much more complicated to develop (especially test) for. This is one of the reasons cut/copy/paste took as long as it did - and having to support conversion of the scraps on the pasteboard adds another level of complexity.

This is supposed to be different than a laptop - not a complete replacement for it. Apple concentrated on doing a specific number of things well for the iPad (specifically media) and did those well. It will be interesting to see where we (developers) can take this now.

I for one think good things are coming.
  • Reply 43 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

for the iBook laptop computer that people still use, and other people still sell on ebay, and companies still support with replacement parts, and software companies that still sell old titles, and historians still keep track of because of its originally cool color clamshell case. Need more?

Personally I don't think any of the above matters too much. Had Apple targeted this solely towards e-book reading, I'm fairly sure Apple would have re-used the name, and not given the the poor old confused historians a seconds thought.
  • Reply 44 of 242
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcw5002 View Post

"In addition to hardware price, Wu said 3G speeds are typically too slow for primary Web browsing. Plus, he said consumers will likely be reluctant to buy an additional data plan if they already have one with a smartphone."

That's an excellent point. Since I'll already have my iPhone along with me, does it really make sense to spend $130 + monthly charges to have slow 3G access?

That isn't true at all. I had to switch from cabled broadband and 802.11g to AT&T's 3G via iPhoen tethering to be able to watch the stream of the presentation last night. 3Mbps from AT&T 3G is more consistent than my hotel WiFi despite a speed test showing it to be considerably considerably faster. Likely, the router simply can't process all the WiFI connections in a timely manner.

$130 for an optional 3G card and GPS, likely at 7.2Mbps or higher.Doubt it has HSUPA but that would be nice. Notice the "optional"part for the 3G, then compound that with the "optional" coverage from AT&T even if you have the 3G card. Then add the lack of a contract, which means you can get coverage for a trip, even just 250MB for $15 and then cancel it when you're finished.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

So you suggest they change the name of the product they already called iBook to um...?

What's your point? To point out the paste tense usage of a product that no exists in their product line? You either use a trademark or you use it. Obviously they chose to resurrect it with the iBookstore.

I would have preferred iBook for the device or a dropping of the 'i' nomenclature all together. I dislike iPad. I think Canvas would have been an elegant choice. Of course, it's not just about a marketable name but one that can be used everywhere when you're a global company. They've already plenty of problems with trademarked naming issues.
  • Reply 45 of 242
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bostondude55 View Post

I'm not saying JUST having a desktop os is a good idea, I'm saying the base operating system should be something less trivial and less "locked-in." The reason why the Dell XT2 works because it runs Windows 7 ... which enables multi-touch enabled proprietary programs / or "applications" to work. For example, my dad's hospital uses a health care software suite. He usually never closes that program during work hours. But after work, he can run whatever he wants because below this software suite, he gets the full blown version of Windows 7.

Hopefully HP will develop a UI wrapper above Windows 7 to make it's UI more enjoyable. Kinda of like how Windows Media Center works, Microsoft can easily build a tablet wrapper around Windows 8. Have its own app store. Nifty icons. etc.

but might the ipad have the same rules as the iphone that allow a company, say Oracle, to manage the software and deploy custom/private titles through the IT department. That would allow for quite a bit of proprietary development.
  • Reply 46 of 242
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    I think I know why there's no camera(s). A front-facing camera for use in say, iChat, wouldn't work worth beans unless you had the device docked. Think about it - you're holding the iPad in your hands, chatting with some hottie in Hattiesburg, and there's no way you're going to be able to hold it still enough to not have your face be bobbing all over the screen. It would drive the person on the other end nuts within about 30 seconds. As for a rear-facing camera for taking pictures, nobody is going to be hauling the device around (like an iPhone) in a "ready to shoot" mode, therefore it just wouldn't be used very often. I applaud them leaving it out - I don't see myself using a camera much if ever.

I'll definitely use one around the house, as well as when I travel on personal trips. Much easier to lug around than my Macbook, and great to use in a hotel room. I tote around an Airport Express, so that if the hotel doesn't have in-room wireless, I create my own. No need for 3G, hence I'll save and leave it out, and not have to deal with crappy AT&T coverage.

All-in-all, I call it a big WIN, and at a price point that nobody anticipated. The early adopters (i.e. those of us here) will snap this thing up immediately, speeding up the uptake in the rest of the market. AAPL is below $200 this morning - load up while it's cheap!
  • Reply 47 of 242
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i think iSlate was the original name but the HP Slate forced a namechange.

iPad isn't that bad - but i would have preferred iSlate.

the 3G version has GPS, the WiFi version does NOT.

i'll definitely buy one... in 12 or 24 months when the software is fully developed - and i'll get the 3G [hopefully LTE by then]

hopefully by then there are touch-controls in the bezel [volume up/down, timeline scrub, scroll through coverflow, etc.]

this contract-free 3G option is going to be HUGE for apple. i guarantee verizon refused to allow month-to-month service for this thing, and that's why it's still ATT exclusive. [of course that could change by the time the iPad is actually released]
  • Reply 48 of 242
    Quote:

Personally I don't think any of the above matters too much. Had Apple targeted this solely towards e-book reading, I'm fairly sure Apple would have re-used the name, and not given the the poor old confused historians a seconds thought.

you know they always have the little buttons to embolden, italicize, and underline, but I can never find the button sarcasmcize my text. do you know where they hide it?
  • Reply 49 of 242
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

i agree...

if i had to choose i would not choose a netbook with windows and viruses, and a physical keyboard over this

if you need usb you can use the cable...they'll probably add a camera in future revisions...and if processor research goes well, even add multitasking since it seems everyone wants that...

Please stop mentioning in comparison to a netbook. A netbook, no matter how cheaply built it may be, is still a computer. The iPad is not a computer. It is still a slave device that still needs to be synced to iTunes.

I truly wonder how many people on these forums would buy this product if it didn't have an Apple logo. I think it's an interesting device but I question its usefulness. The only benefit I can see is that it's a book reader. While it easily bests a Kindle DX, the regular Kindle is half the price, smaller and is better for long form reading.

I may/may not get one but if you're a tech geek there's no way you couldn't feel at least a little disappointed with this product. In many ways it is just a toy since it satisfies no basic need.
  • Reply 50 of 242
    Quote:

you know they always have the little buttons to embolden, italicize, and underline, but I can never find the button sarcasmcize my text. do you know where they hide it?

Ha sorry, mind is elsewhere. Right I'm off to propose to my girlfriend, then break the news that she isn't going to work this week, instead she is going to the arctic and has 4 hours to prepare!

lol

wish me luck!!
  • Reply 51 of 242
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i think iSlate was the original name but the HP Slate forced a namechange.

iPad isn't that bad - but i would have preferred iSlate.

the 3G version has GPS, the WiFi version does NOT.

i'll definitely buy one... in 12 or 24 months when the software is fully developed - and i'll get the 3G [hopefully LTE by then]

hopefully by then there are touch-controls in the bezel [volume up/down, timeline scrub, scroll through coverflow, etc.]

this contract-free 3G option is going to be HUGE for apple. i guarantee verizon refused to allow month-to-month service for this thing, and that's why it's still ATT exclusive. [of course that could change by the time the iPad is actually released]

Are you sure about this. I seem to remember that the only difference between the 3G and non-3G one regarding GPS was that the 3G iPad allowed for Assisted GPS (A-GPS) too.

I'll recheck the Apple site...

On a related note, I notice that the cheapest completely unlocked (and not PAYG) 3G phone from Expansys is $225 (a Samsung Beat, whatever that is), so the 3G premium for the iPad doesn't seem too bad.
  • Reply 52 of 242
    Quote:

for the iBook laptop computer that people still use, and other people still sell on ebay, and companies still support with replacement parts, and software companies that still sell old titles, and historians still keep track of because of its originally cool color clamshell case. Need more?

At what point would be okay to use it again? Is there a time frame in which a trademark can be recycled by a company? There certainly is one for when they lose rights to it. The last iBook update was mid 2005, almost 5 years ago, with the whole line dropped less than a year later. That is more than enough time to be able to recycle the name, as they did.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The complaints about the cost of the 3G radio doesn't seem to look at the fact that it's unlocked, and the plan is a lot cheaper than similar plans for netbooks. I haven't seen a data plan for a large screen computer device for $15/mo, ever. I recall a data plan for $10/mo for a feature phone with a 1" screen, that's it.

It doesn't seem the case, but I hope AT&T offers a contractual option for data, too, with a couple hundred off the list price.

Quote:

but the great thing about ipad is, like was mentioned above, it doesn't mean anything. The name doesn't recall images of a laptop, it doesn't recall images of an ebook reader, and it doesn't recall images of a netbook.

The name is wide open to grow into its own image.

That is a good point. Except for the natural feminine hygiene product association it's a neutral name, like the iPod, which I've never really liked either.

Quote:

In Ethiopic langauges an upside down exclamation point (¡) is used for sarcasm. Ironic since they don't seem to be a keenly sarcastic people. There is also a patent for a SarcMark in the works. I guess in the mean time we can use emoticons to fill the void.

.... or were you being sarcastic in your post. I can't tell.
  • Reply 53 of 242
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:

Ha sorry, mind is elsewhere. Right I'm off to propose to my girlfriend, then break the news that she isn't going to work this week, instead she is going to the arctic and has 4 hours to prepare!

lol

wish me luck!!

Good luck!

Off to propose under the Northern Lights?
  • Reply 54 of 242
    The lack of camera is more than likely an ergonomic issue rather than a technical one - if you're going to have the camera focused on your face for video conferencing then trying to support this thing on your knee or lap so that it's focused on your face could be quite uncomfortable, at least for an extended period of time?

With regards to Windows 7 and it's multi-touch interface, how well does Office work with it? - with the release of iWork on the pad I would imagine that Microsoft will need to deliver a version of Office that's designed to work well on a tablet and not just simply shoe-horn the desktop version and it's UI onto a tablet.
  • Reply 55 of 242
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    I doubt it will fly off the shelves but it will do modestly, im calling roughly around 2 million. Im gonna buy one simply because i dont own an iphone/ipod and its a decent product for the price. Lots of people are offput by the fact that it does look like a giant iPod.

If you own a Macbook there is literally ZERO reason to buy this unless you want an ebook reader or you wanna watch movies in bed without overheating your laptop (which i tend to do lol). If i can get textbooks for school for cheaper then it will be a good initial investment.

I will get one of these but i wont take this to school cause i need a physical keyboard for one (iPad has one..as an add on, i dont want to carry MORE THINGS to accomplish the same task) and so far no multi-tasking which means i cant look at my book and type something at the same time which is a huge negative in my book. I can read epub ebooks on my Hackintosh so i can easily leave this device at home.

This thing isnt gonna kill my hackintosh i'll tell you that Jobs, but i'll sell off my old PPC Mini to cover some of the costs for this.
  • Reply 56 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Please stop mentioning in comparison to a netbook. A netbook, no matter how cheaply built it may be, is still a computer. The iPad is not a computer. It is still a slave device that still needs to be synced to iTunes.

I truly wonder how many people on these forums would buy this product if it didn't have an Apple logo. I think it's an interesting device but I question its usefulness. The only benefit I can see is that it's a book reader. While it easily bests a Kindle DX, the regular Kindle is half the price, smaller and is better for long form reading.

I may/may not get one but if you're a tech geek there's no way you couldn't feel at least a little disappointed with this product. In many ways it is just a toy since it satisfies no basic need.

1) A computer is not defined by running specific OS(es). The iPad is a computer.

2) Not all items are designed to fit everyone. This tablet surely doesn't fit my needs but it doesn't make it a bad device.

3) It's look clear that Apple is trying to make this an alternative to cheap netbooks and notebooks with the $500 entry price. They demoed the main concerns and uses for the average person buying a laptop today.

Quote:

lol

wish me luck!!

Good luck and Congrats!
  • Reply 57 of 242
    good luck!!!!
  • Reply 59 of 242
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) A computer is not defined by running specific OS(es). The iPad is a computer.

2) Not all items are designed to fit everyone. This tablet surely doesn't fit my needs but it doesn't make it a bad device.

3) It's look clear that Apple is trying to make this an alternative to cheap netbooks and notebooks with the $500 entry price. They demoed the main concerns and uses for the average person buying a laptop today.

If the iPad is a computer then it fails miserably and possibly worse than all the PC variants.

I would be willing to make SOME sacrifices but if you want to be better than a netbook atleast give me proper flash.

As much as everyone loves to dog on netbooks they are pretty potent for their costs. I can easily run Photoshop CS4 on my Mini 10v and Windows 7 Ultimate AND Snow Leopard. I know i wont be slicing movies up on this thing but thats not the reason i bought it.
  • Reply 60 of 242
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    How is the lack of camera an issue at all? I would look retarded shooting stills or video with this.

For Video Conferencing? That 0.5% of customers can buy something else, OR, have an ounce of frigging patience and wait for Logitech to come out with the inevitable iPad WebCam accessory, that uses a downloadable app from the App Store.

It's simple, and it's a given. Is as convenient as iChat built in with WebCam? Nope, but Apple will need that next January to sell as killer feature that no one uses.