Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year

Comments

• Reply 61 of 242
    Thanks all!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

Good luck!

Off to propose under the Northern Lights?

Yes, that was the original idea, I witnessed the huge northern lights event in 1991 which I found mind blowing. Thought would be a good place to pop the question (though bit of a cliche nowadays, but oh well). However sun activity is at a historic low at the moment so chances of witnessing them this week is pretty much zero.

But it's unlikely I will be able to hold off for another five years, so, well I'm sure it will be fun anyway, reindeer and huskies and other cold delights
  • Reply 62 of 242
    This new mobile device thingy ( more of a hobby than a real computer- what computer doesn't multi-task?) will sell well of course in the first year. Apple has a huge fan base, I'm sure the AppleTV sold well in it's first year. It remains to be seen how this will expand beyond its Apple base as it appears to be yet another extension of the Apple iTunes/(Book) store. And contrary to the spinfans - it's not cheap.
  • Reply 63 of 242
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevemo69 View Post

With regards to Windows 7 and it's multi-touch interface, how well does Office work with it? - with the release of iWork on the pad I would imagine that Microsoft will need to deliver a version of Office that's designed to work well on a tablet and not just simply shoe-horn the desktop version and it's UI onto a tablet.

Is there anything preventing MS from creating a version of MS Office for the iPad App Store? It can open DOC, DOCX and XLS files already but there are lot of features iWork simply won't include no matter how many rich updates it gets.
  • Reply 64 of 242
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bostondude55 View Post

WRONG. My father's a doctor and he uses a Dell XT2 that works with both a stylus and touch. To fill out the electronic patient files, he NEVER uses his fingers. The stylus here is absolutely essential because it provides much higher precision.

So why is it "WRONG" that the iPad would be a great product for the medical field?
  • Reply 65 of 242
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

If the iPad is a computer then it fails miserably and possibly worse than all the PC variants.

I would be willing to make SOME sacrifices but if you want to be better than a netbook atleast give me proper flash.

As much as everyone loves to dog on netbooks they are pretty potent for their costs. I can easily run Photoshop CS4 on my Mini 10v and Windows 7 Ultimate AND Snow Leopard. I know i wont be slicing movies up on this thing but thats not the reason i bought it.

I don't why people keep mentioning this utter nonsense. Apple listed, clearly, what the device is for. This is not for Adobe Photoshop. Again, not for Adobe Photoshop.

Flash is dead and irrelevant, bringing it up makes you sound like a troll because in fact the iPhone OS does not support Flash and has not for 3 years. That's not going to change. Get over or it, or get something else. It's really that simple.
  • Reply 66 of 242
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Well thats true. I'm buying two, one for developing with and one which I'm just gonna have kick around the house for my family to use, or when someone goes traveling or light browsing etc. So many uses.

;-) and so you imagine. My guess is that when someone takes the thing away for a journey there will be a riot.

I am starting with one but I have two kids (web savvy) so it won't be long until more are required. They will get them as their first 'computers', though I suppose the word computer is a word that will disappear.
  • Reply 67 of 242
    Quote:

However sun activity is at a historic low at the moment so chances of witnessing them this week is pretty much zero.

You know you're in recession when the Sun is conversing power.
  • Reply 68 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I don't why people keep mentioning this utter nonsense. Apple listed, clearly, what the device is for. This is not for Adobe Photoshop. Again, not for Adobe Photoshop.

Flash is dead and irrelevant, bringing it up makes you sound like a troll because in fact the iPhone OS does not support Flash and has not for 3 years. That's not going to change. Get over or it, or get something else. It's really that simple.

Flash is not dead and irrelevant except to Apple. Why is he a troll for wanting a FULL web experience?
  • Reply 69 of 242
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:

Thanks all!

Yes, that was the original idea, I witnessed the huge northern lights event in 1991 which I found mind blowing. Thought would be a good place to pop the question (though bit of a cliche nowadays, but oh well). However sun activity is at a historic low at the moment so chances of witnessing them this week is pretty much zero.

But it's unlikely I will be able to hold off for another five years, so, well I'm sure it will be fun anyway, reindeer and huskies and other cold delights

Pity. Lights around Tromso were pretty good this time last year.
  • Reply 70 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

This new mobile device thingy ( more of a hobby than a real computer- what computer doesn't multi-task?) will sell well of course in the first year. Apple has a huge fan base, I'm sure the AppleTV sold well in it's first year. It remains to be seen how this will expand beyond its Apple base as it appears to be yet another extension of the Apple iTunes/(Book) store. And contrary to the spinfans - it's not cheap.

It does what 90% of computer users in 2010 care about and is half the price of the cheapest mobile Mac.

It well sell ridiculously well.

And no, consumers do not care about 3rd party App multi-tasking. They have no idea what even means. To them, listening to your iPod while using Safari and E-mailing and posting to Facebook, IS multi-tasking.

Why this needs to be explained to people over and over is beyond me.
  • Reply 71 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You know you're in recession when the Sun is conversing power.

True, the 'Maunder Minimum' in the middle ages had quite an affect on the economy back then as well

Righty, better shoot.
  • Reply 72 of 242
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:

How is the lack of camera an issue at all? I would look retarded shooting stills or video with this.

It's simple, and it's a given. Is as convenient as iChat built in with WebCam? Nope, but Apple will need that next January to sell as killer feature that no one uses.

I agree completely. Add a camera, people complain there arent 2. Add 2, people complain that is now more expensive. Pricing the iPad outside the range of a would-be buyer to satisfy a smaller percentage that are probably going to buy it with or without a camera is a bad idea.

Honestly I think iPhone OS 3.2 is to get it out the door. The real potential will be in 4.0
  • Reply 73 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

Pity. Lights around Tromso were pretty good this time last year.

Thats precisely where im going!
  • Reply 74 of 242
    Quote:

Flash is not dead and irrelevant except to Apple. Why is he a troll for wanting a FULL web experience?

That's entirely YOUR opinion that Flash makes for a FULL web experience. I do not use or see Flash at all in entire day of work or goofing off. Maybe a few old websites and i miss some low quality video clip or some advertisements.

Why should you have the "pleasure" of playing a free Flash game when it will drain your battery twice as fast as a Free or $0.99 equivalent from the App Store? How is that even a big deal at all?
  • Reply 75 of 242
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nw3227 View Post

The iPad seems to have the same potential impact on the huge and growing netbook market that the iPhone has had on the smartphone market. With the iPad in the mix, why would a consumer buy a netbook PC? (Corporate IT staffs have their own agendas, of course, and are another story.)

because a netbook has a lot more features

i was at a tech conference a few months ago and some of the IT people had netbooks. before it started they VPN'd into their corporate network to check things. on a netbook you can load any VPN client and all the management software you want. you can also install MS Office

as a consumer i'll take a netbook since i can install software on it. i can install the steam client and download my games like civilization 4. i can install flash so my wife can play farmville along with 50 million other people. i can watch Hulu via the browser or install the client. no need to pay itunes to watch TV

iphone is still the best smartphone, but the ipad is a big let down. less features, higher cost and too many limitations
  • Reply 76 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

So why is it "WRONG" that the iPad would be a great product for the medical field?

And why is there an implication that iPad can't use a stylus?

I have a feeling we'll see some very high-end, "executive" capacitance styli come to market. Perhaps with a pen on one end or the capacitance part of the pen cap. I can imagine a seemingly infinite number of commercial and industrial uses for this type of device, yet can't think of a single reason for my own personal use.

I also expect some heavy duty cases to be designed for more robust usage needs. I foresee the military taking a big interest in these sicne they've already found the iPod so useful. Note, perhaps coincidentally, PA Semi's biggest customer was the US military.
  • Reply 77 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

I agree completely. Add a camera, people complain there arent 2. Add 2, people complain that is now more expensive. Pricing the iPad outside the range of a would-be buyer to satisfy a smaller percentage that are probably going to buy it with or without a camera is a bad idea.

Honestly I think iPhone OS 3.2 is to get it out the door. The real potential will be in 4.0

We might even see multi-tasking, in the way that you can "sandbox" more than one iPhone App at a time on that huge screen.

Don't tell me they don't have plans for that silly sandbox feature beyond what we saw....
  • Reply 78 of 242
    Quote:

It does what 90% of computer users in 2010 care about and is half the price of the cheapest mobile Mac.

It well sell ridiculously well.

And no, consumers do not care about 3rd party App multi-tasking. They have no idea what even means. To them, listening to your iPod while using Safari and E-mailing and posting to Facebook, IS multi-tasking.

Why this needs to be explained to people over and over is beyond me.

You must know a lot of really stupid consumers then.

Every high school kid with a netbook multitasks. They do school work and check their facebook pages back and forth. Listening to music in the backgroud is a basic.
  • Reply 79 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And why is there an implication that iPad can't use a stylus?

I have a feeling we'll see some very high-end, capacitance styli come to market, some very executive, perhaps with a pen on one end or the capacitance part of the pen cap. I can imagine a seemingly infinite number of commercial and industrial uses for this type of device, yet can't think of a single reason for my own personal use. I also expect some heavy duty cases to be designed for more robust usage needs.

Thank you. Common sense and a little imagination go a LONG way.
  • Reply 80 of 242
    Quote:

You must know a lot of really stupid consumers then.

Every high school kid with a netbook multitasks. They do school work and check their facebook pages back and forth. Listening to music in the backgroud is a basic.

You must know a lot of...high school kids?