Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year

Comments

• Reply 81 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

because a netbook has a lot more features

i was at a tech conference a few months ago and some of the IT people had netbooks. before it started they VPN'd into their corporate network to check things. on a netbook you can load any VPN client and all the management software you want. you can also install MS Office

as a consumer i'll take a netbook since i can install software on it. i can install the steam client and download my games like civilization 4. i can install flash so my wife can play farmville along with 50 million other people. i can watch Hulu via the browser or install the client. no need to pay itunes to watch TV

iphone is still the best smartphone, but the ipad is a big let down. less features, higher cost and too many limitations

And these new netbooks out of CES rock! Add to that Windows 7 now and what a sweet deal is that?
  • Reply 82 of 242
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

but might the ipad have the same rules as the iphone that allow a company, say Oracle, to manage the software and deploy custom/private titles through the IT department. That would allow for quite a bit of proprietary development.

the enterprise dev licecense from apple

downside is if you were to buy say 30,000 of these ipads, deployment sucks. For the Microsoft rent a software customers there are products MS makes to install software remotely on any PC from one server. MS has had software like this since the 1990's. there are competitors as well. no fortune 500 company is going to hire help desk people to deploy software on these things. they will just buy Windows tablets
  • Reply 83 of 242
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It does what 90% of computer users in 2010 care about and is half the price of the cheapest mobile Mac.

It well sell ridiculously well.

And no, consumers do not care about 3rd party App multi-tasking. They have no idea what even means. To them, listening to your iPod while using Safari and E-mailing and posting to Facebook, IS multi-tasking.

Why this needs to be explained to people over and over is beyond me.

And let's not forget about games.

Parents will be suckered by kids to get them one for the digital textbook savings (muscle & wallet fatigue), while planning the next MMPOFPSG* that they are going to play on it.

*massively-multi-player-online-first-person-shooter-game
  • Reply 84 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is there anything preventing MS from creating a version of MS Office for the iPad App Store? It can open DOC, DOCX and XLS files already but there are lot of features iWork simply won't include no matter how many rich updates it gets.

Would lack of imagination cover it? I see Microsoft as being totally committed to the shoehorning of Windows approach, and as disinterested in endorsing any other concept.
  • Reply 85 of 242
    Quote:

That's entirely YOUR opinion that Flash makes for a FULL web experience. I do not use or see Flash at all in entire day of work or goofing off. Maybe a few old websites and i miss some low quality video clip or some advertisements.

Why should you have the "pleasure" of playing a free Flash game when it will drain your battery twice as fast as a Free or $0.99 equivalent from the App Store? How is that even a big deal at all?

YouTube and Hulu are web-based sites. I can't tell that these sites are "a few old websites"
  • Reply 86 of 242
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I may/may not get one but if you're a tech geek there's no way you couldn't feel at least a little disappointed with this product. In many ways it is just a toy since it satisfies no basic need.

The thing I'm disappointed in most is the camera connection kit. It seems to me they could have had one internal SD slot and one USB jack. I don't like having to keep track of adapters, and I don't like rigid lever-like tabs sticking out a device, that's too much of a risk of damaging the port.
  • Reply 87 of 242
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    This is America, last time I checked you don't have to support every protocol on world wide web. Flash is okay, not great but okay - but a much better experience lies ahead with raw HTML evolution. Simple.
  • Reply 88 of 242
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bostondude55 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4

Hitler responds to the iPad.

Here's what's wrong with this bleeding edge technology:

1. UGLY bezel.

2. No multitasking / no OSX.

3. No camera.

4. No GPS.

5. Horrible name. Period.

I'm going to wait for the HP Slate. Office 2010 + Windows 7 is going to rock.

1. It's an ergonomic decision. How else would you hold the iPad?

2. Didn't you hear Jobs "its between iPhone and Mac" if it has OSXthen its a mac.

3. How else would you make $499 price with ALL features

4. Look at #3

5. iPod was a horrible name too in 2000, but hey 250Million iPods later everyone loves it.

Good luck with Windows.
  • Reply 89 of 242
    5 million?

Make that 6. Easy.
  • Reply 90 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

the enterprise dev licecense from apple

downside is if you were to buy say 30,000 of these ipads, deployment sucks. For the Microsoft rent a software customers there are products MS makes to install software remotely on any PC from one server. MS has had software like this since the 1990's. there are competitors as well. no fortune 500 company is going to hire help desk people to deploy software on these things. they will just buy Windows tablets

But companies are already doing this.

If i remember correctly, 3Com, Oracle, and another were the first to go full tilt.

They talked about how the saved so much money and resources with the iphone. Time sheets were accessible on the iphone and more.
  • Reply 91 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

but the great thing about ipad is, like was mentioned above, it doesn't mean anything. The name doesn't recall images of a laptop, it doesn't recall images of an ebook reader, and it doesn't recall images of a netbook.

The name is wide open to grow into its own image.

It already has its own image...a feminine product. The iMaxiPad, the iTampon, the iPad. Watch the MadTV clip on YouTube making fun of the iPod...called the iPad.
  • Reply 92 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

5 million?

Make that 6. Easy.

I call your six. What have you got?

• Reply 93 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

YouTube and Hulu are web-based sites. I can't tell that these sites are "a few old websites"

Didn't google state that they are working on dropping flash and going to HTML5?
  • Reply 94 of 242
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Completely off topic:

I read an analyst report this morning saying the iPad was going to cannibalize iPod sales.

I immediately imagined someone running on a treadmill with the iPad strapped to their arm.

I started to laugh, but then saddened that Im not better at using Photoshop.
  • Reply 95 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I call your six. What have you got?

My interweb pokerface.
  • Reply 96 of 242
    They did get something right...it is clearly NOT a revolutionary product. It is an iPod Touch Grande, nothing more. It was funny when Steve Jobs was trying to claim what a great web experience the iPad is, and then the web page he went to showed the missing plug-in icon! Great web experience! In 2011, maybe it will be dead like the G4 Cube was after a year. I don't see many people carrying around the iPad like they do with an iPhone or iPod Touch.
  • Reply 97 of 242
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

I don't why people keep mentioning this utter nonsense. Apple listed, clearly, what the device is for. This is not for Adobe Photoshop. Again, not for Adobe Photoshop.

Flash is dead and irrelevant, bringing it up makes you sound like a troll because in fact the iPhone OS does not support Flash and has not for 3 years. That's not going to change. Get over or it, or get something else. It's really that simple.

Dead to whom exactly? I need flash due to content posted from school and being able to view videos beyond just youtube. The Pre seems to be able to handle Flash modestly so Apples reason is what, especially on a more powerful device...that doesnt multitask.
  • Reply 98 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

It already has its own image...a feminine product. The iMaxiPad, the iTampon, the iPad. Watch the MadTV clip on YouTube making fun of the iPod...called the iPad.

Apple products in general are popular with women.

They'll get one of these too.
  • Reply 99 of 242
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

You are correct.

The iPad has YouTube built in, including HD. Solved.

Hulu offers some content, free, but not for all machines. You pay quite the price in terms of battery life and CPU performance, unless you have a new machine. iTunes has the same content and much more, not free.

If the choice was mine, I would opt for purchasing every time. The only thing Apple needs to do is sweeten the deal is lower the price tier to 0.99 and 1.99, SD/HD.
  • Reply 100 of 242
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And why is there an implication that iPad can't use a stylus?

I have a feeling we'll see some very high-end, "executive" capacitance styli come to market. Perhaps with a pen on one end or the capacitance part of the pen cap.

Aren't there already several Touch pens on the market? I heard that Apple's replacement for the Symbol WinMo devices has a "pen" for taking signatures.