iPad iBooks app US-only, McGraw-Hill absent from Apple event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Like everything else dealing with the EU is far different then dealing 'at home', even canada has to wait longer for products and features. Hell you still can't watch HULU in canada, it's all about money ... fees / taxes / royalties etc., boys.

I suspect secrecy plays a part as well. There is no reason why they won't get this going in England, and probably pretty quickly, but the more people they talk to in order to sign deals, the more chance of a leak. Hell, even with the small numbers they announced McGraw Hill managed to leak it, so if you added all the publishers in England (and around the world) into that mix, everyone would have known all about the device before it was announced.
  • Reply 22 of 96
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Probably a snub at the event for breaking the non-disclosure but I doubt Apple would literally drop them as it would lose them revenue.

Meanwhile I simply cannot fathom why AAPL isn't through the roof!

Shareholders arent sold on the supersized iPod. Of course people on here will buy anything Apple related (and truth be told i will get one of these too because i can find a use for it) but nearly every tech blog and blog in general is saying there isnt anything REVOLUTIONARY in this device. In fact, most actually call it a giant or supersized iPhone/iPod.

I knew for the most part that it was gonna be a e-book reader and then some, the people high on fairy dust riding unicorns thought this thing was gonna be a super mac with full touch UI. The hype was astronomical around it, and it failed to deliver.
  • Reply 23 of 96
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacAdict View Post

US only is ridiculous! you have the app store everywhere, how is an e-book store different? i live in PR and am not sure if we are counted as US or not, just because of this doubt i probably wont buy. I am probably going to move to the states within the next 6 months but i would be constantly traveling back, does that mean i have to purchase books in the states and not be able to back home?????? i was seriously considering buying the ipad as a compliment to my mbp15 for college, as its the perfect size to lay on a desk and take notes on the new pages app without disrupting your view forward, and its alot better to carry around a 600 32gb tablet than a 2000 laptop, i would die if they stole my mbp or if it broke in some freak accident. an ipad by contrast, i can save some more money and buy a new one, sync with my computer and vuala! same ipad as before. I definately would have been happier if the store was international because i really was considering transfering back to a college in PR, now if I do transfer back I could only use the ipad for play, might as well get an ipod touch for half the price

and almost forgot the biggest perk would have been carrying around one tablet vs a stack of heavy text books and random novels for my spanish and english classes: broken back vs 1.5 pound tablet

my brother just got back from PR and he didn't have to change anything with AT&T or Apple. They both stated it is part of the U.S. region. No roaming fees, nothing. All worked fine.
  • Reply 24 of 96
    Regardless of the reason McGraw Hill was omitted, the fact remains that CEO did not do himself or his company any favours. I shall have no reason to ever have to trust him with confidential information, but neither would I . Therefore it would not be to far out of the realm of possibility that others who may have reason to have to trust him in the future would hesitate in doing so knowing that he is unable to keep his trap shut.

Respectfully submitted HT
  • Reply 25 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Shareholders arent sold on the supersized iPod. Of course people on here will buy anything Apple related (and truth be told i will get one of these too because i can find a use for it) but nearly every tech blog and blog in general is saying there isnt anything REVOLUTIONARY in this device. In fact, most actually call it a giant or supersized iPhone/iPod.

I knew for the most part that it was gonna be a e-book reader and then some, the people high on fairy dust riding unicorns thought this thing was gonna be a super mac with full touch UI. The hype was astronomical around it, and it failed to deliver.

The point is, it doesn't matter what the tech blogs say. The writers of tech blogs will always focus on features and performance numbers, meanwhile the general consumer who will actually buy the thing will focus on how useful it is, how much it costs and, in these shallow times, how cool it is.
  • Reply 26 of 96
    Quote:

dude the whole market is down over 115 points. not just apple.
  • Reply 27 of 96
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    To add to my previous post, one other question to be asking is:

5. you have iBook App. How about iMag/Newspaper App and store?

I would subscribe to newpapers and magazines if i could keep a library of them on my computer/iPad...I thought this device was going to save the print industry. From last i saw the News Media and Magazines have been the biggest loosers. Not that print books are safe either.
  • Reply 28 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

Right. I don´t understand this reluctance to open up to other markets. What does ready mean anyway?

I am not sure that it is reluctance, rather than difficulty in fitting into the different legislation to be able to open the store.
  • Reply 29 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

my brother just got back from PR and he didn't have to change anything with AT&T or Apple. They both stated it is part of the U.S. region. No roaming fees, nothing. All worked fine.

Same with the US Virgin Islands too...
  • Reply 30 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

The point is, it doesn't matter what the tech blogs say. The writers of tech blogs will always focus on features and performance numbers, meanwhile the general consumer who will actually buy the thing will focus on how useful it is, how much it costs and, in these shallow times, how cool it is.

True but imagine you already own an iPhone and Macbook. Where could YOU really fit this in at? Apple has themselves setup well for the impending E-Book boom and if it sells it will be mostly because of this (why buy a Kindle DX when you can get this for less than 20 bucks more?).
  • Reply 31 of 96
    thanks at estyle for telling me, but the iphone in PR is an ATT product not an apple product, we cant even ship to PR if we buy on apple.com, ur brothers phone worked because to ATT we are an extesion of their network, part of the US, but in apple terms we are international, when I use itunes it tells me there is no itunes store for my country, which is technically the same country but not to them
  • Reply 32 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacAdict View Post

US only is ridiculous! you have the app store everywhere, how is an e-book store different?

Stupid region-based licensing. Just like movies and TV series aren't available in most countries.
  • Reply 33 of 96
    Quote:

I sold my AAPL stock in the last week of 2009 for tax purposes, planning to buy it back after the transaction cleared. I had no idea that was going to be the 52-week high and that it would drop 15$/share four weeks later.

There you go- good for you that Apple's overlyhyped unveiling and Obama's bank bashing occurred shortly after.
  • Reply 34 of 96
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GlynC

This REALLY sucks. I was all for the iPad before they decided that the UK doesn't want to read. Nutters.

I bet they'll use the excuse that "the UK market isn't ready yet" which is rubbish. It's they who aren't ready.

Right. I don´t understand this reluctance to open up to other markets. What does ready mean anyway?

Maybe you guys should just stop trolling? Almost none of what you are saying makes any sense or is really true.

"(Apple) has decided the UK doesn't want to read"? Really? Grow up.

"The Market isn't ready" means the obvious, which is that the agreements with the publishers in those countries aren't in place yet. For a product that is still being assembled, isn't even available for pre-order, and was only first announced less than 24 hours ago, it's kind of likely that distribution and software agreements with all the publishers in the world haven't quite been settled yet. In fact, this entire article is premised on the fact that the agreements are not in place in all quarters.

It's not Apple's "fault" that this is the case unless you have information that no one else does about Apple purposely screwing over England for some unknown reason.
  • Reply 35 of 96
    Quote:

dude the whole market is down over 115 points. not just apple.

But Apple just released their latest device that was hyped BEYOND belief. Hell when they announced their invitations their shares rocketed up like 15 dollars that day.

Apple has shown they can buck the trend, look how their stock has jumped since last year. The rest of the industry being down shouldnt impact a company who just made one of the biggest announcements of the year the entire industry was holding their breath for
  • Reply 36 of 96
    Quote:

True but imagine you already own an iPhone and Macbook. Where could YOU really fit this in at? Apple has themselves setup well for the impending E-Book boom and if it sells it will be mostly because of this (why buy a Kindle DX when you can get this for less than 20 bucks more?).

I think you've hit the nail on the head, it is sales of Kindle and the like that are going to suffer as part of this. Having a Macbook and an iPod Touch (and a Kindle for that matter) I agree with you, it's hard to argue why you need this, though I'll wait and see what people do with it. I could see it becoming the replacement for my Macbook, since I do most of my computing on my desktop and really use the Macbook for surfing the web. I use the Touch for websurfing as well, but the iPad looks much better for that.
  • Reply 37 of 96
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Meanwhile I simply cannot fathom why AAPL isn't through the roof!

This happens after every unveiling.

Overhype by the media, reveal of the actual product, artificial disappointment, followed by return to value based on fundamentals.

Just ride it out, unless you want to try to game the mini-crests (which can be very dangerous. I did that for a couple of months this year when AAPL was sub 100, and simply lucked out by holding my last purchases for the ride back up.)
  • Reply 38 of 96
    Bring out Pearson/Prentice Hall, Springer Verlag, John Wiley, Brooks/Cole and see how quickly the guy learns to keep his mouth shut.
  • Reply 39 of 96
    Quote:

But Apple just released their latest device that was hyped BEYOND belief. Hell when they announced their invitations their shares rocketed up like 15 dollars that day.

Apple has shown they can buck the trend, look how their stock has jumped since last year. The rest of the industry being down shouldnt impact a company who just made one of the biggest announcements of the year the entire industry was holding their breath for

it has been happening to everyone. intel says they had a record profit - in this market their stock dropped.

mainly because everyday a company says good news the government releases bad news. the market is really looking at its feet.
  • Reply 40 of 96
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

So this article is simply stating that, since the CEO McGraw-Hill prematurely divulged what OS the iPad would be running during his interview (with the BEAUTIFUL ERIN BURNETT) on CNBC, Jobs in-return decided to omit the company during the keynote presentation as a type of reprove measure for that fortuitous slip up???

It's happened this way before. ATI once did something similar, and Time once let the lampshade iMac story run a day before the SteveNote. Both were absent from the keynote.

Bottom line, Apple expects you to honor your NDA.

Quote:

Like music, each book publisher cuts a separate deal for each country they distribute to. That's not Apple's fault; it's the right of each sovereign country to have their own systems for royalties and distribution contracts.