Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year

Comments

• Reply 101 of 242
    These predictions, as always are laughably wrong, just as with the iPhone, the iPod and even the wii.

All three of these devices shared similar "problems"

-missing "vital" hardware that's actually unnecessary fringe benefits at time of release (camera (ipad), gps + 3g(iPhone), hardware power (wii), fm radio (iPod)

- no purpose

- too locked/proprietary for nerds

etc.

guess what, people don't care.

This will sell like hotcakes because guess what? It's shaped just like the book I've been laying around with in bed, on the couch, in a car, on a train, in class, in ny living room, in the bathroom, on a plane, Aka everywhere.

Maybe some if you are too young or only nerds in the computer sense of the world, but for everyone else we've been practicing living with and getting our information from something this size our whole lives.

One 1.5 lb device less than a half inch thin I can read and store all my books, magazines, web articles, textbooks, recipes, addresses, and the seciest most useful daily planner I've ever seen?! How will this not absolutely kill in sales. World wide launch, it's gonna sell 1-5million in a couple months, not a full year.
  • Reply 102 of 242
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Dead to whom exactly? I need flash due to content posted from school and being able to view videos beyond just youtube. The Pre seems to be able to handle Flash modestly so Apples reason is what, especially on a more powerful device...that doesnt multitask.

How many times can one repeat the incorrect notion that the iPhone/iPad does not multi-task?
  • Reply 102 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Didn't google state that they are working on dropping flash and going to HTML5?

I use HTML5 version of YouTube in my Chrome browser, but it's a looong way to get all features implemented properly (codecs, etc)
  • Reply 104 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

Don't tell me, yet another Downfall parody.

No OS X is a good thing. Desktop OS on a small tablet device is a disaster. Just ask Microsoft.

I wouldn't say they are a disaster. The fact is as I have mentioned here before Tablets are not considered all that functional or needed and never have been. The current marketshare for Windoes Tablets is about 2-4%.

Apple isn't gong to change that much with their offering. The fact this product doesn't even offer multi-tasking is a major issue for many. Some have said the price at 499.00 is perfect. I guess its perfect if you only need a device with 16gb of storage which is extremely small by todays standards. Also to pay an extra 130.00 for a 3G internal card is a joke which it typical over charging by Apple.

There is nothing innovative here, this is nothing more than a large iPod Touch. Nothing we haven't seen before.

A user with a Macbook and an iPhone has zero need for this product which is what I have been saying for months.
  • Reply 105 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

They did get something right...it is clearly NOT a revolutionary product. It is an iPod Touch Grande,

Which is exactly why it will do spectacularly well.

This thing has insane potential, in a beautiful package. The breadth, power, and variety of new apps developers can now sink their teeth into alone make this thing a winner.

Apple took a superior concept, the iPod Touch Experience and expanded and elaborated it into a total computing experience. This is the platform for the future. And the price is right, too.

THIS is what content distributors NEED, desperately.

I can't wait to try one of these things out. The hands-on reviews have been glowing so far, which comes as no surprise.
  • Reply 106 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple products in general are popular with women.

They'll get one of these too.

show us the numbers, we'd like to see some data backing your statement
  • Reply 107 of 242
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

I agree completely. Add a camera, people complain there arent 2. Add 2, people complain that is now more expensive. Pricing the iPad outside the range of a would-be buyer to satisfy a smaller percentage that are probably going to buy it with or without a camera is a bad idea.

Honestly I think iPhone OS 3.2 is to get it out the door. The real potential will be in 4.0

iPhone )S v4.0 is likely not ready and they don't to make that reveal until it's time. I figure the iPad will run v3.2 for a few months before getting the v4.0 update along with the iPhones.

The lack of a camera helps keep the price into a more manageable area for consumers while giving them a place to go in the future. It's hard to add more bells and whistles when you're basically selling a picture frame.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

We might even see multi-tasking, in the way that you can "sandbox" more than one iPhone App at a time on that huge screen.

Don't tell me they don't have plans for that silly sandbox feature beyond what we saw....

I hope so. Having two apps side-by-side in landscape mode would be great. I think intelligent multitasking?not what is found on WebOS, Android and WinMo?will come to iPhone OS v4.0. I'll be surprised if it doesn't.

PS: Please stop feeding it!

Quote:

And let's not forget about games.

Parents will be suckered by kids to get them one for the digital textbook savings...

Even outside of gaming and eBooks (spent $600 on a Sony eReader last year for 10yo nephew and he doesn't use it ) the parental controls allow for this to be a great first computer which parents can monitor.

I wonder if MobileMe will include Find My iPad? I hope the next Mac notebooks also include a GPS chip, optional 3G card and Find My Mac in MM (dreaming).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Would lack of imagination cover it? I see Microsoft as being totally committed to the shoehorning of Windows approach, and as disinterested in endorsing any other concept.

They make a killing off Office for Mac and nothing compares to MS' office suite when it comes to the Enterprise. I see Apple having more hubris than MS when it comes to making money so I'd hope they jump on the ball with this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The thing I'm disappointed in most is the camera connection kit. It seems to me they could have had one internal SD slot and one USB jack. I don't like having to keep track of adapters, and I don't like rigid lever-like tabs sticking out a device, that's too much of a risk of damaging the port.

It looks like they don't want that to be the primary way you transfer images. I suppose you could Monoprice could make it simpler and cheaper so you only have one cable for your camera, or there is the potential for BT or WiFi in current and future cameras. HD video would still be an issue wirelessly.
  • Reply 108 of 242
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

It already has its own image...a feminine product. The iMaxiPad, the iTampon, the iPad. Watch the MadTV clip on YouTube making fun of the iPod...called the iPad.

Yep, only serving to push the hype further and get this known by its inevitable target audience.
  • Reply 109 of 242
    Quote:

5 million?

Make that 6. Easy.

The market doesn't agree with those numbers. And what was the predicted number before the release? Wasn't it well over 10 million?

I doubt even you can agree with your prediction that this product was going to change the landscape of Slate computing and take over notebooks.

The fact still remains even after this "major" offering Tablets are simply very small segment of the market and will remain so.
  • Reply 110 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And why is there an implication that iPad can't use a stylus?

Every good handheld Tablet has a stylus. This is just typical of Apple trying to be different even if that means making something less functional. Kind of like the no Flash issue.

The no multi-tasking however your going to have to answer that one for me because I am beyond stumped by that one.
  • Reply 112 of 242
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The market doesn't agree with those numbers. And what was the predicted number before the release? Wasn't it well over 10 million?

I doubt even you can agree with your prediction that this product was going to change the landscape of Slate computing and take over notebooks.

The fact still remains even after this "major" offering Tablets are simply very small segment of the market and will remain so.

I think the market was, like the rest of us, buying into a lot of the hype and rumor surrounding the iPad prior to the announcement. Anything short of Jesus popping out of the device onto Steve's lap was going to disappoint many.

Steve himself, despite saying it was a better experience than using a smartphone and a laptop, stated that it was more in competition* with the gimmick known as the netbook.

*for lack of a better term.
  • Reply 113 of 242
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Every good handheld Tablet has a stylus. This is just typical of Apple trying to be different even if that means making something less functional. Kind of like the no Flash issue.

The no multi-tasking however your going to have to answer that one for me because I am beyond stumped by that one.

i have a stylus for my iphone. i use for my sketchbook app. it works great. haven't found a use for it yet other than Sketchbook and Zosh for digital signatures on forms.
  • Reply 114 of 242
    Quote:

Didn't google state that they are working on dropping flash and going to HTML5?

They've been going that route. HTML5 video beta of YouTube is nice. Lacking some controls right now and full screen mode, but it uses so much resources that it's clearly the future.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Hulu offers some content, free, but not for all machines. You pay quite the price in terms of battery life and CPU performance, unless you have a new machine. iTunes has the same content and much more, not free.

I don't think it will be too long before Hulu offers an viewing mechanism for the iPad. App, HTML5 or both. I'd wager on both but the former will be come this year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Aren't there already several Touch pens on the market? I heard that Apple's replacement for the Symbol WinMo devices has a "pen" for taking signatures.

Yeah, but they haven't been popular. I think we'll see an actual market crop up with better selection.

I don't think Apple is selling that pen or that attachment and I've read that some stores are just having you use your finger to sign the Touch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

I use HTML5 version of YouTube in my Chrome browser, but it's a looong way to get all features implemented properly (codecs, etc)

The codecs for HTML5 video in WebKit browsers are MP4-based. You shouldn't expect anything else until H.265.

Quote:

Every good handheld Tablet has a stylus.

Except that there has never been a good handheld tablet.

-or-

Just like every good smartphone has had a physical keyboard and or stylus?
  • Reply 115 of 242
    Quote:

Every good handheld Tablet has a stylus. T

There was never a "good handheld tablet."

EDIT:

Sol beat me to it by a hair.
  • Reply 117 of 242
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member

OK your women like Apple best, but that does not translate into more women buying apple than men buying apple.

what it does translate into is that your more likely to get a beautiful japanese girlfriend if you have an apple ipad.
  • Reply 118 of 242
    Quote:

How does a forbes article written back in mid 09 show the Tablet is going to sell over 5 million?

If only there was a mechanism for seeing what comment he was replying to.
  • Reply 119 of 242
    Quote:

There was never a "good handheld tablet."

EDIT:

Sol beat me to it by a hair.

Well if thats the case yesterday didn't change that fact. And for people that do benefit from a Tablet the HP is a rather good one.
  • Reply 120 of 242
    Quote:

I can't wait to try one of these things out. The hands-on reviews have been glowing so far, which comes as no surprise.

Why because no one can get their hands on one at this time?

Seriously you honestly think everyone was waiting for what is basically a Touch- SUPERSIZED? After 2 plus years of rumours? And hype of "a new creation"?