Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

Comments

• Reply 241 of 409
    There are a lot of great things to like about the new iPad and I am really thinking hard about getting one upon release. The thing that really bugs me about the hardware is that there is no SD Card Slot! C'mon would it be that hard to include, so that while on vacation, you take the card out of your camera and just stick it in the iPad without fumbling for another cable?
  • Reply 242 of 409
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    One thing that's bugged me about the advertising so far is that they call the screen HD. Well, unless you consider 720p HD then it is. But most movies that we call HD is actually 1080p (1920x1080), not 1024x768. NOBODY will notice the difference, as i don't notice the difference between the two on my 37" Flat panel, but i think it's just kind of false advertising.
  • Reply 243 of 409
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Have you ever used a $300 netbook? I have. They are slow and use awful operating systems- either the outdated XP, or a variation of Vista, which limps along in a netbook. The smallest ones have terrible keyboards/input methods. Awful screens. The list goes on. The iPad seems like it does everything a $300 netbook does, just far, far better, in a nicer package. This won't replace a Mac Book, but it is not intended to.

[CENTER]As one who will buy an iPad the day it's released...

I'm not the least bit delusional in my thinking that it cannot reasonably replace even the lowliest netbook unless all one uses their netbook for is surfing the WWW and consuming media.

The iPad's lack of (at least) a built-in USB port and a web camera is a serious miscalculation regarding what people actually use these smaller devices for.

I applaud the wonderful (adaptive) effort done to iWork - Multi-Touch Edition, but why even have meida creation software such as this when there's no convenient means of sharing said media e.g. via a simple USB/thumb drive, or HDMI out to a projector?

It's an interesting device that I'm certain to enjoy, but many aspect of the iPad's execution seem strangely out of touch with reality for the average consumer.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 244 of 409
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

Again, you proved that you don't know anything. 1 ghz is not too much? There are no specific benchmarks or specs on the A4. Put a Pentium 4 2.5 vs a 1.6 now and see which processor wins. But 2.5 is HIGHER than 1.6 so it MUST win. Clock speed is not everything now. People like you just want to complain to complain. And if you don't like the iPad, don't buy it. Millions will though.

[CENTER]Just to set the record straight...

Apple's (alledgedly all new) A4 processor is very capable indeed, but it's hardly anything new, and is (in fact) nothing more than a current ARM Cortex A9, mated to an integrated memory controller, and a Mali 50-series GPU, making it nothing more than another ARM processor rearranged a bit (for good measure).

Admittedly, not all has been revealed as to how much Apple and PA Semi did in terms of arranging, but one thing is indisputable: There's really nothing all that new about Apple's A4, just a bit of 'Badge Engineering'.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 245 of 409
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is HUGE (for people like me). Can you tell us more: How does 'the laser pointer you move with your finger' work? How you do you 'paint on the screen' Madden-style? Are both these functionalities built in with this particular version of Keynote?

Go to engadget.com and watch the hands on demo video. It's too cool to watch to spoil in trying to describe.
  • Reply 246 of 409
    Seems like most of you need to put on a tampon and lie down.
  • Reply 247 of 409
    Just buy a few shares and lie down and wait a few weeks.

You'll feel better.

Of and btw, this is a transformational device.

Any wannabe iPad from any competitor better come with anti-emetic pills, I tell you.
  • Reply 248 of 409
    Nah! I don't like it because, in truth I don't like myself a whole lot so I have to lash out at any thing that is cool and super and quality and amazing and all the things that I am not.

Err did I mention the amazing part?
  • Reply 249 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chano View Post

Seems like most of you need to put on a tampon and lie down.

Maybe an iPad will suffice?
  • Reply 250 of 409
    I doan liek it becorz I coulda done it betta dan jobs. No hannedriting reconishun. No quaybored. cant espressmiself wid that tutch liek i can on mi delle netbuk. no mows - kils it for me.
  • Reply 251 of 409
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chano View Post

Nah! I don't like it because, in truth I don't like myself a whole lot so I have to lash out at any thing that is cool and super and quality and amazing and all the things that I am not.

Err did I mention the amazing part?

Then why don't you like it then? It's not amazing or super cool. Three years ago maybe but not today.
  • Reply 252 of 409
    Now don't start Robodude. You diss my Apple, Jobsy rearrange your legs. OK?
  • Reply 253 of 409
    Does anyone know if ibooks allows cut and paste or highlighting and notation. It seems like these would be necessary for textbooks.
  • Reply 254 of 409
    But it IS cool. that's why I hates it my precious. If I had a 1000 shares today I would be a millionaire in 5 years. That's why I hates it see?
  • Reply 255 of 409
    I think, rather as with the iPod, it takes hands on use to help people understand the sheer intimacy of the UX with this device. In the promo video, it is clear that this is going to become the most 'personal' computer to date. I believe that this will be the true 'computer for the rest of us', i.e. the remaining billions of computer-phobes and avoiders, and of course everyone who wants to carry some fun, and light productivity capability with them, everywhere they go.

As with the original iPod in early 2001, people took a long time to get it. Once they did get it, the iPod became the indispensable device for 250 million buyers…. and counting. Even the after-market for the iPod is a multi-billion $ industry. I believe you will find the iPad achieves even greater success in less time.

Consider the rather poky, clunky, 5GB, monochrome 2001 iPod cost 499 in 2002 $s. That's a lot more in today's money. Now compare its spec with the entry level iPad 16GB wifi, at a 2010 price of ooooh $499. Absolutely astonishing value in features, style and functionality terms.

As to the twerps here, with their self-congratulatory, derogatory comments about another great innovation from America's greatest exemplar of success and user-centricity ...... I know just where the 'ilame' adjective should be applied.

This is an amazing, deeply personal device. As a UI designer, I recognise what it will mean to the billions who never felt comfortable with a computer. Most of all, it will come to be seen as the first computer that combines genuine, off-the-office-treadmill, human-scale productivity while also being great fun to use. This was a brave thing for Apple to do. A huge commercial risk, in fact. I think users and AAPL shareholders alike will find great merit in it.

Don't judge it until you have real, personal, experience with it. In an adult that is plain dumb and dishonest.

To the adults here who dismiss it, sight unseen I say, shame on you. Your snarky comments speak volumes about your own personal failings, your risk-cowardice, your easy terminal-cynicism as a first response to everything, your jaded views, low self-worth etc etc. 'fess up now. You know it's true, else why do you advertise your shameless lack of integrity by commenting on something you have never seen or used? Says a whole lot about you. Don't you know that? Eeeesh!

Every honest adult who consumes media, must acknowledge that Apple is their only champion for value. It is changing grasping industry after grasping industry to secure deals for its customers that put them firmly in charge of what they buy and how much they pay for it. In phone deals, in music, movies, tv shows, books, magazines, newspapers, olive oil, candles, underwear .... no wait, that's after they buy WalMart. etc. I wasn't supposed to mention that.

IPad is but the first-gen example of the device that puts so much power into the hands of the consumer.

And so many of you somehow failed to understand this? Ouch! Get aware guys.

I'm giving you pearls here.*

Embrace the iPad.*

It'll make you Prrroouudddd!* (Especially if you are American)

This rant we inspired by Al Pacino's performance in Scent of a woman.

(*with acknowledgments to Bo Goldman)

It's meant to be FUN schtoopid!

Hooo. Ahhhh!

Did this in a rush, sorry for any typos.
  • Reply 256 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btcutter View Post

$500 Netbook is design for just surfing and light work. It's cheaply built and doesn't last. When you hold one, you know it's cheap.

Subject to interpretation. My Daughter's HP seems very well built. $500? What netbook are you buying. HP Mini 10 with Win 7, $249 on sale.

Quote:

$500 Ipad from what I've seen is better at what it's designed to do, surf/email/photos/gaming/applications/music/eReader. It probably won't do as well on purely word processing/excel/powerpoint but it's purpose is to edit existing ones.

A netbook can do all these things. Again, the HP mini 10 can run Office quite well or Open Office. The real keyboard is small but very usable.

Quote:

For $500, you WILL get more use out of an iPad than Netbook (90% of the people). Better use and better value.

For $500 I can buy a nice Netbook and have an iPhone that can pretty much do everything the iPad claims to do and make a phone call.

Quote:

Oh....which Netbook do you know can run as many applications as it's available on app store and run them well? Netbook gets bogged down easily when you start using intensive editing programs.

Yes the app store is nice but chocked full of crap. See above post, my iPhone can. What "intensive" editing program are you planning on using on the iPad?

Bottom line here is that I do not see a product that is not replicated in many other places. My iPhone can pretty much do everything the iPad can do and is far more portable. Hell I have a Kindle app on my phone and it works ok, if I really want an eReader it will be a kindle or Nook.
  • Reply 257 of 409
    they didn't add USB port, WiFi printing...and multi-user...if its going to be used around the home!
  • Reply 258 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

what will be interesting is to see if any industries pick up the ipad for use. especially big ones like hospitals. even if you just use it as a video/game device for keeping kids happy during chemo and such, that's a good number of potential sales. and then there's putting them in the doctors hands for ordering meds, looking at records and such.

I'm interested in this myself. I was at my doctors earlier this week and had to use their new tablets to input all my medical info. The tablet weighed about 3 pounds or so. I couldn't tell what brand it was or if it was running windows underneath, but the application (Phreeshia, I think) ran full screen and did not use any familiar windows elements (eg form fields, buttons etc.) those elements all looked customised. The experience was frustrating at best, using a stylist and having to press really hard on the screen for the presses to register.

I thought to myself, "Man, I hope apple does a better job than this". And just then the other lady in the waiting room who was working furiously on her tablet, got up and walked up to the receptionist and said, "ah, maam, this thing is saying it just performed an illegal operation". I couldn't help myself, I blurted out: "Better that thing doing than the doctor!"

The nice lady laughed, the receptionist behind the counter, not so much.
  • Reply 259 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

my own boss is already raving about how he could have one on set, access to email, have his storyboards right there, and so on. and he loves the idea that he could get the 3g one but since there's no contract he could have it for big location shot times and kill it when we are in town for a stretch (we're trying to convince him that we all need one and he should buy them for us). he's even excited about the idea that he could drop on an edit of a commercial or whatever, take it to a meet with the clients and show them a big pretty version of the video without having to haul a 5 lb laptop around.

Very cool. This is the key thing: users will define what they want to do with this device, and developers will respond and build apps, and said developers and Apple will hawl in the bucks. This is no Newton.
  • Reply 260 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gts_mac View Post

I'm interested in this myself. I was at my doctors earlier this week and had to use their new tablets to input all my medical info. The tablet weighed about 3 pounds or so. I couldn't tell what brand it was or if it was running windows underneath, but the application (Phreeshia, I think) ran full screen and did not use any familiar windows elements (eg form fields, buttons etc.) those elements all looked customised. The experience was frustrating at best, using a stylist and having to press really hard on the screen for the presses to register.

I thought to myself, "Man, I hope apple does a better job than this". And just then the other lady in the waiting room who was working furiously on her tablet, got up and walked up to the receptionist and said, "ah, maam, this thing is saying it just performed an illegal operation". I couldn't help myself, I blurted out: "Better that thing doing than the doctor!"

The nice lady laughed, the receptionist behind the counter, not so much.

I think the iPad will be much better but you proved one of my points, it seems very awkward to use. Maybe the iPhone spoiled me, one handed operation, real easy to use. This thing looks tough to use. You have to use both hands or lay it flat on a surface. I am trying to see me using this in an airport while waiting on a plane.