Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year

Comments

• Reply 141 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the iPad will be huge as long as the software comes fast. i don't see any reason to buy this thing now but if the iWork suite and brushes are any indication of what can be done, this is going to be great.

i just worry that it was released a little too soon. the home screen on the thing looks ridiculous with a few tiny iPhone apps. it needs some sort of widgets or something on there. come on OS4!!!

as for multitasking - everyone here is furious that it's not available, but the iPad is perfect for people like my parents - people who don't know how to use Word, but love to surf the internet, receive emails and see photos of their grandkids.

this is the perfect computer for Apple to release - it's simple. it's like the invention of GUI. [which was terrible at first for power users but is now the standard on 99.9% of computers]

there's 140K+ applications available for ipad...they're leveraging their app store...i don't think it's too soon, however, i'd like to see what apps can be written that are ipad only...
  • Reply 142 of 242
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

For me, someone hearing iPad and immediately thinking about a feminine hygiene product may have it's foundation in immaturity. These are the same folks who use "that's what she said" on a regular basis.

Remember, the shortened term 'pad' has been used in that sense for a long time and there was even a classic, well known MadTV skit about an iPad describing that very thing. That is the first impression of the name for many people but that doesn't mean they're going to start chuckling to their themselves like Beavis and Butthead everytime they hear it.

That said, I look forward to SNL completely bashing it this weekend. I expect comments about it being a big iPhone and references to a feminine product to be part of the Weekend Update.

PS: Boobies!
  • Reply 143 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Please I'm a "Fan Boy" of Apples but the ones who are complaining are just showing they had inexorable minds from the beginning.

Each device Apple has now is winnow, for a variety of users (current & new).

I plan to use the device for my photography and plane flights/road trips. That beats bringing out a laptop for such leisure uses.

I also would use one to take notes in meetings (where not too much typing is needed) or classes. Mail / lite surfing while at the Cabin, too.

I think apple envisions a class room where this replaces a pencil, notepad, and textbooks by rolling them all into one. Eventually it may get there.
  • Reply 144 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I also would use one to take notes in meetings (where not too much typing is needed) or classes. Mail / lite surfing while at the Cabin, too.

I think apple envisions a class room where this replaces a pencil, notepad, and textbooks by rolling them all into one. Eventually it may get there.

Don't forget the education market is HIGH PRIORITY for Apple with this device, it's been their core market for decades.

Like you, I feel the device will fit my needs seamlessly
  • Reply 145 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

When it comes to the iPad 1990 wants its hardware back.

That's your comeback, knowing how advanced the HW is? How about thinking about retort for a second next time. We are clearly talking about the iPad so saying "when it comes to the iPad" is redundant losing momentum of a witty remark.

Here's your new riposte: "1990 wants its form-factor back."
  • Reply 146 of 242
    Quote:

Don't forget the education market is HIGH PRIORITY for Apple with this device, it's been their core market for decades.

Maybe to avoid confusion they should not rename the iPod Touch to the iPad Nano....
  • Reply 147 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Remember, the shortened term 'pad' has been used in that sense for a long time and there was even a classic, well known MadTV skit about an iPad describing that very thing. That is the first impression of the name for many people but that doesn't mean they're going to start chuckling to their themselves like Beavis and Butthead everytime they hear it.

That said, I look forward to SNL completely bashing it this weekend. I expect comments about it being a big iPhone and references to a feminine product to be part of the Weekend Update.

PS: Boobies!

I'm sure we can expect jest statements for quite awhile.
  • Reply 148 of 242
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    solipsism or any other knowledgeable person, can you comment on why the ipad that includes 2100mhz would be prevented from working on the 2100mhz umts networks in the US (despite being limited in coverage)?
  • Reply 149 of 242
    Quote:

Maybe to avoid confusion they should not rename the iPod Touch to the iPad Nano....

Touche
  • Reply 150 of 242
    Quote:

Thats the problem the cam is a deal breaker for you and there are so many functions lacking in this device its not hard for most of use to find a deal breaker. Apple keeing everyone chained to iTunes which has become nothing more then a bloated mess is a deal breaker. However for Windows users that is far less of a problem because we have software to get around that issue. Thankfully.

I'd think for the customers Apple are aiming for, a simple and intuitive interface for the form factor far outweighs the missing features. I doubt Apple are trying to sell this to me as a Macbook + iPhone owner (if they are, they're not doing a very good job).

The fact that it's tied to iTunes (and won't work very well as a primary computer) is pretty lame though. I don't think that train ride would be very comfortable either...
  • Reply 151 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bostondude55 View Post

The iPad doesn't have the same sex appeal as the iPhone. Imagine saying.. hey, do you have my ipad to any female... lol.

Bloody pads.

I don't get it. What is the BIG DEAL with "Pad"? And why is a feminine pad the first thing that comes to mind to everyone making fun of the name? Are the guys out there all married or have girlfriends that force them to buy maxi pads at the supermarket or drug store? Are they traumatized by the word "pad"? I'm an artist; I have a sketch "pad" with me all the time. I have a note "pad" for taking notes and on my desk I have a message "pad". These are what come to mind when I hear "pad".
  • Reply 152 of 242
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

I don't get it. What is the BIG DEAL with "Pad"? And why is a feminine pad the first thing that comes to mind to everyone making fun of the name? Are the guys out there all married or have girlfriends that force them to buy maxi pads at the supermarket or drug store? Are they traumatized by the word "pad"? I'm an artist; I have a sketch "pad" with me all the time. I have a note "pad" for taking notes and on my desk I have a message "pad". These are what come to mind when I hear "pad".

tread slowly, you're being normal, and I am not sure that everyone here would appreciate that.
  • Reply 153 of 242
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

And Austin Powers lives and shags in his- "pad".

Muahhhhhhhhh!!!!!
  • Reply 154 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Quote:

I wish this was designed for the education market. I see nothing with the tablet to date that will replace textbooks.

I think it needs to have advanced annotations for highlighting, underlining, strikethrough, etc. It needs to allow text and diagrams to be written on the page itself with and without a stylus, with a quick option to remove from view or show. It has to be always be linked to that page in the book and globally searchable. The stylus is too important in classes for writing fine points to be favoured for a sausage finger.
  • Reply 155 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's your comeback, knowing how advanced the HW is? How about thinking about retort for a second next time. We are clearly talking about the iPad so saying "when it comes to the iPad" is redundant losing momentum of a witty remark.

Here's your new riposte: "1990 wants its form-factor back."

Are you kidding me advanced hardware? A 1ghz processor thats advanced? You can get that in any netbook. A max of 64gb of storage? NO CAM? This is 2010 remember. A 720p res? You do know we have 1080p these days.

Not to mention. No multi-tasking, no flash, poor screen choice for ebook reading too much glare.

By the way weren't you the one that said it was going to have this great new UI. Where is that? Also wasn't going to use iPhone OS, you nailed that one too. At least Ireland agreed to eat his hat.

Apple had never been accused of using advanced hardware compared to everyone else which is why we just got quad core systems in our consumer models.

Don't worry the year is still young I expect you to be wrong on the MBP processor update also.
  • Reply 156 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

I'd think for the customers Apple are aiming for, a simple and intuitive interface for the form factor far outweighs the missing features. I doubt Apple are trying to sell this to me as a Macbook + iPhone owner (if they are, they're not doing a very good job).

The fact that it's tied to iTunes (and won't work very well as a primary computer) is pretty lame though. I don't think that train ride would be very comfortable either...

The problem is if you want the top model with 3g you are about 170.00 away from a Macbook which can do alot more. I wouldn't fault them as much if the 499.00 model came with 32gb of storage.
  • Reply 157 of 242
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    You guys can keep going on about what the iPad doesn't have if you want. Meanwhile I've been focussed on what it does have and noticed this yesterday and am surprised that no one is discussing it yet.

Quote:

File Sharing. A shared file directory is provided that will mount on your Mac or PC. This is presumably how files such as iWork documents will be transferred to and from the iPad. iPad applications will be able to access this shared directory.

I thought that was one of the major features that people wanted. You get it and say nothing about it. Of course this is just a big iPhone/iPod touch, except for the hidden features like that and the fact that Apple has already demonstrated that the bigger screen and increased processing power can be used to generate much more advanced apps. Blind hatred is stupid. Products sell based on what they have, not what they don't have. While there are a few things that should be there, I feel this device has enough features to sell fairly well, and more will come mostly through software.

But I digress, continue pinning your ears back and screaming about the lack of a camera an multitasking.
  • Reply 158 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bostondude55 View Post

5. Horrible name. Period.

Quote of the day!
  • Reply 159 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

tread slowly, you're being normal, and I am not sure that everyone here would appreciate that.

Point taken. LOL.
  • Reply 160 of 242
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

You guys can keep going on about what the iPad doesn't have if you want. Meanwhile I've been focussed on what it does have and noticed this yesterday and am surprised that no one is discussing it yet.

I thought that was one of the major features that people wanted. You get it and say nothing about it. Of course this is just a big iPhone/iPod touch, except for the hidden features like that and the fact that Apple has already demonstrated that the bigger screen and increased processing power can be used to generate much more advanced apps. Blind hatred is stupid. Products sell based on what they have, not what they don't have. While there are a few things that should be there, I feel this device has enough features to sell fairly well, and more will come mostly through software.

But I digress, continue pinning your ears back and screaming about the lack of a camera an multitasking.

Dude, you gave us a link stating that it has no mutiltasking and then rank on somebody who stated the same thing?