Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

Comments

• Reply 261 of 409
    TO all the naysayers. Be patient and watch what happens.

This device is going to overturn every preconception about what a device can do. Just let Apple and the after marketeers do their work.

In the meantime, whether you like Apple or not, buy a few shares.

Read Jason Schwarz on Seeking Alpha.

Look at the lessons of the past since 1998.

Make some money off a winner. An American Treasure.
  • Reply 262 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Subject to interpretation. My Daughter's HP seems very well built. $500? What netbook are you buying. HP Mini 10 with Win 7, $249 on sale.

A netbook can do all these things. Again, the HP mini 10 can run Office quite well or Open Office. The real keyboard is small but very usable.

For $500 I can buy a nice Netbook and have an iPhone that can pretty much do everything the iPad claims to do and make a phone call.

Yes the app store is nice but chocked full of crap. See above post, my iPhone can. What "intensive" editing program are you planning on using on the iPad?

Bottom line here is that I do not see a product that is not replicated in many other places. My iPhone can pretty much do everything the iPad can do and is far more portable. Hell I have a Kindle app on my phone and it works ok, if I really want an eReader it will be a kindle or Nook.

Ipad is designs to be an additional "work station" at home or ultra portable device for multimedia use. Sure, other devices can do the same but probably just not as well. That the next stage for the general public....ease of use.

This generation is attached to the physical keyboard. I bet future generation would think differently. Most people with kids will tell you that kids can use iPhone, iPod touch with ease. Ipad is the next step for them and they will grow up using virtual keyboards and multi touch gestures. Apple is moving forward and trying to capture both the current and future generations. If you are static, just stick with a Macbook Pro. It works perfectly.
  • Reply 263 of 409
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lex8star View Post

Does anyone know if ibooks allows cut and paste or highlighting and notation. It seems like these would be necessary for textbooks.

Not likely or someone could just copy and paste the text to an document, send it to their computer, print out many copies.
  • Reply 264 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Apple never gives the masses what they want. Instead, they give the masses what Apple "knows" is best for the masses. That's a big reason for Apple's market share.

Yeah, a big reason for their $185B market cap too.

Try feeding your family with 'market share' instead of 'market cap.'
  • Reply 265 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chano View Post

Look at the lessons of the past since 1998.

If you really want to look at the lessons of the past, just hold off a little on buying one of these until there is a price drop (iPhone). Or hold off until 2nd generation where new hardware is added (ipod touch speakers).
  • Reply 266 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by julesburt View Post

they didn't add USB port, WiFi printing...and multi-user...if its going to be used around the home!

It's not about cannibalizing Macbook/Macbook Pro sales.
  • Reply 267 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjkelley View Post

There are a lot of great things to like about the new iPad and I am really thinking hard about getting one upon release. The thing that really bugs me about the hardware is that there is no SD Card Slot! C'mon would it be that hard to include, so that while on vacation, you take the card out of your camera and just stick it in the iPad without fumbling for another cable?

Buy the camera kit. Hell if you want this you're going to buy the dock and camera kit so you can use what you want and work with other 3rd party usb devices, not to mention bluetooth/usb based keyboards.
  • Reply 268 of 409
    If it's made by apple:

1. the processor is underclocked, for future "upgrade"

2. A camera is comig

3. Ram will be upgraded

4. Certain fetures will only require a firmware upgrade

I know why Steve Jobs said it's the most important thing he's ever worked on. It's Apple's first very own in house designed processor. The future implications are incredible. Apple now has "os x" running on their own chip. How long (maybe 10 years) before they make all of their chips for all of their products.
  • Reply 269 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btcutter View Post

Ipad is designs to be an additional "work station" at home or ultra portable device for multimedia use. Sure, other devices can do the same but probably just not as well. That the next stage for the general public....ease of use.

This generation is attached to the physical keyboard. I bet future generation would think differently. Most people with kids will tell you that kids can use iPhone, iPod touch with ease. Ipad is the next step for them and they will grow up using virtual keyboards and multi touch gestures. Apple is moving forward and trying to capture both the current and future generations. If you are static, just stick with a Macbook Pro. It works perfectly.

I like touch screen but can not envision using such a large one. It just seems very uncomfortable. I will reserve my opinion once reviewers get their hands on them and let us know how they do in day to day life and once I get my hands on one. I really want this thing to be what I want, just not seeing it yet. I had really expected a new, never seen before touchscreen GUI, not the same one I have been using for over a year that works well on a small screen. Not so sure on a big screen. Will feel like I am playing air hockey.
  • Reply 270 of 409
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Adobe Flash Platform Blog on iPad?s Lack of Flash

So Jobs?s demo of the NYT?s web site showed the ?missing Flash? icon in several spots. If you think Apple didn?t expect that, you?re nuts. Apple is not embarrassed by iPhone OS?s lack of Flash.

Daring Fireball 10-01-28 12:47 PM John Gruber http://daringfireball.net/
  • Reply 271 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So Jobs?s demo of the NYT?s web site showed the ?missing Flash? icon in several spots. If you think Apple didn?t expect that, you?re nuts. Apple is not embarrassed by iPhone OS?s lack of Flash.

Think about it, Flash is a direct competitor to the iTunes store. Who needs to buy games when there are so many flash games out there. Who needs to buy movies when you have Hulu. Apple will never allow flash on their mobile devices. They will dangle the carrot but they do not need the competition.
  • Reply 272 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yeah, I'm sure the missing Flash icon is something he is pretty proud of. I mean, come on, if you want video, he has Star Trek on that device.
  • Reply 273 of 409
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

The inclusion of iWork apps is a huge plus, but who wants to sync documents to thier iPad all the time, or email yourself documents to bring to a meeting. What good is giving a presentation on the iPad if you can't print copies for your participant.

What? Never heard of iDisk? Or Air Sharing? Or File Sharing? Or Soonr? All file sharing apps for the iPhone...which should work for the iPad.

Why do you assume that can't you print from the iPad? Or see SMB/AFS shares in the future?
  • Reply 274 of 409
    ipad = FAIL. Its just a big ipod touch with some updated apps to take advantage of its size. Who's going to buy it when most people already have a phone and laptop capable of doing much more than this. No multitasking, WHY?. I can go buy a fully functional laptop for that price that can run multiple apps and a full os not crippled by apple's closed environment. I was really looking forward to the ipad but as soon as a I saw it i instantly changed my mind. The huge bezel is just ugly and what is with the 4:3 aspect ratio. it cant even play 720p video at full res. And to all you people saying it would be great for sitting on the couch and browsing the web, you're really willing to pay $500 to browse the web for a few hours a day the web on the couch? is it really that much of a discomfort to use your laptop that youre willing to spend at a minimum $500?
  • Reply 275 of 409
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post

ipad = FAIL. Its just a big ipod touch with some updated apps to take advantage of its size.

When you say "fail" what do you mean? Do you mean it won't be massive success or just that you're not going to get one? Or both? Whether it's a massive success or not remains to be seen. My gut feeling is that it will be however. Massive being a relative term. "Surprising" is probably the word.
  • Reply 276 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

When you say "fail" what do you mean? Do you mean it won't be massive success or just that you're not going to get one? Or both?

Both.Most consumers already own some sort of personal computer, whether it be a desktop or laptop. Those with laptops won't see any advantage of lugging around another device that can't out perform a fully functional laptop at anything. Those with desktops may be inclined to buy one, but upon realizing its running a gimped OS and they can't install any programs other than those offered by apple, they will decide against it. I'm sure it will be moderately successful but I just don't see the point

And one last thing: the ipad video on apple's website: lamest thing i have ever seen. EVER. "It's magical" WTF its based on the same technology as the iphone. nothing magical or revolutionary about that
  • Reply 277 of 409
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Both. Most consumers already own some sort of personal computer, whether it be a desktop or laptop. Those with laptops won't see any advantage of lugging around another device that can't out perform a fully functional laptop at anything. Those with desktops may be inclined to buy one, but upon realizing its running a gimped OS and they can't install any programs other than those offered by apple, they will decide against it. I'm sure it will be moderately successful but I just don't see the point.

The whole point of this device is it's easier to use and more natural to use than a laptop, so for people that are not at all geeky, and want to check e-mail, browse the web and do other common tasks it would be perfect for them. My brother (one of them) doesn't know what a file system or a torrent is, he is computer illiterate - I just know he'll want one of these. And believe it not there are millions of people like him. Not to mention though, I think it's more than that. There's a bigger picture here that's not clear, something has changed and it's not obvious now, it will seem obvious in 3+ years time.

Quote:

And one last thing: the ipad video on apple's website: lamest thing i have ever seen. EVER. "It's magical" WTF its based on the same technology as the iphone. nothing magical or revolutionary about that.

"Magical" is marketing speak. That's their way of describing the experience. To be fair you didn't try one yet, so it's not really fair to say it's a piece of crap yet. We know it's not magic, real magic does not exist after all, but for Apple its the best word to describe the UI.

I know it doesn't meet your needs, but believe or not I don't think you're the target market.
  • Reply 278 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

of course, problems have to happen to every single person to be valid....

but once again, seeing as you are apparently not capable of understanding.

No sketchy apps

No jailbreaking

Apple apps

They would have to. The hardware and software is the same for everyone. The only variables are defective hardware, user abuse/error, and 3rd party apps.
  • Reply 279 of 409
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I can't remember wasn't someone supposed to eat their hat?
  • Reply 280 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

who says this thing won't have flash? It wasn't available during the keynote - there's a few months for adobe to tweak the full plug in to work.

It does have gps - don't guess, maybe go along to the apple web site and read the tech cpecs.

There is a usb and sd card attachment.

The screen resolution is that of a standard 15" screen, compressed onto a 9.7" size - that's a damn good display.

No proper file system? What are you talking about. This thing will view any important file that is emailed to you:

"viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (microsoft word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (keynote); .numbers (numbers); .pages (pages); .pdf (preview and adobe acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (microsoft powerpoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (microsoft excel)"

what other essentials are missing from that list?

Its not a laptop, it's not a personal computer replacement.

Why don't people get this.

Re. The camera - yes, it's a shame that the first version doesn't have one - but how would you hold this thing without your arms aching at an angle that isn't looking up your nose.

No, it's not as good as a macbook pro. It's not meant to be a laptop.

Your comment is full of assumptions based on rumor, which is clearly rebuked via a quick look at the official apple page for this device.

Edit:

"5. No proper sim/phone capability."

yes, because it's not a phone. My hammer can't make my morning coffee. Doesn't make it a bad hammer.

why did'nt they incorporate the usb and sd card attachment into the docks? It would have solved a lot of problems !!