Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year

Comments

• Reply 161 of 242
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

You guys can keep going on about what the iPad doesn't have if you want. Meanwhile I've been focussed on what it does have and noticed this yesterday and am surprised that no one is discussing it yet.

I thought that was one of the major features that people wanted. You get it and say nothing about it. Of course this is just a big iPhone/iPod touch, except for the hidden features like that and the fact that Apple has already demonstrated that the bigger screen and increased processing power can be used to generate much more advanced apps. Blind hatred is stupid. Products sell based on what they have, not what they don't have. While there are a few things that should be there, I feel this device has enough features to sell fairly well, and more will come mostly through software.

But I digress, continue pinning your ears back and screaming about the lack of a camera an multitasking.

don't try convince them. Really!

I would prefer to be able to order mine and receive it as soon as possible.

If letting them have their negative ideas about the ipad means I am more likely to get one during the first batch, I want them to not like it.

I also hope that shared file directory can actually be the idisk folder. It should work and then I wouldn't actually need to physically connect to sync documents.
  • Reply 162 of 242
    Hit quick reply by accident
  • Reply 163 of 242
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    ? "[iPhone] just doesn't matter anymore. There are now alternatives to the iPhone, which has been introduced everywhere else in the world. It's no longer a novelty." - Eamon Hoey, Hoey and Associates, April 30, 2008

? "We are not at all worried. We think we've got the one mobile platform you'll use for the rest of your life. [Apple] are not going to catch up." - Scott Rockfeld, Microsoft Mobile Communications Group Product Manager, April 01, 2008

? "Microsoft, with Windows Mobile/ActiveSync, Nokia with Intellisync, and Motorola with Good Technology have all fared poorly in the enterprise. We have no reason to expect otherwise from Apple." - Peter Misek, Canaccord Adams analyst, March 07, 2008

? "[Apple should sell 7.9 million iPhones in 2008]... Apple's goal of selling 10 million iPhones this year is optimistic." - Toni Sacconaghi, Bernstein Research analyst, February 22, 2008

? "What does the iPhone offer that other cell phones do not already offer, or will offer soon? The answer is not very much... Apple?s stated goal of selling 10 million iPhones by the end of 2008 seems ambitious." - Laura Goldman, LSG Capital, May 21, 2007

? Motorola's then-Chairman and then-CEO Ed Zander said his company was ready for competition from Apple's iPhone, due out the following month. "How do you deal with that?" Zander was asked at the Software 2007 conference. Zander quickly retorted, "How do they deal with us?" - Ed Zander, May 10, 2007

? "The iPhone is going to be nothing more than a temporary novelty that will eventually wear off." - Gundeep Hora, CoolTechZone Editor-in-Chief, April 02, 2007

? "Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone... What Apple risks here is its reputation as a hot company that can do no wrong. If it's smart it will call the iPhone a 'reference design' and pass it to some suckers to build with someone else's marketing budget. Then it can wash its hands of any marketplace failures... Otherwise I'd advise people to cover their eyes. You are not going to like what you'll see." - John C. Dvorak, Bloated Gas Bag, March 28, 2007

? "Even if [the iPhone] is opened up to third parties, it is difficult to see how the installed base of iPhones can reach the level where it becomes a truly attractive service platform for operator and developer investment." - Tony Cripps, Ovum Service Manager for Mobile User Experience, March 14, 2007

? "I'm more convinced than ever that, after an initial frenzy of publicity and sales to early adopters, iPhone sales will be unspectacular... iPhone may well become Apple's next Newton." - David Haskin, Computerworld, February 26, 2007

? "There's an old saying -- stick to your knitting -- and Apple is not a mobile phone manufacturer, that's not their knitting... I think people overreacted to it -- there was not a lot of tremendously new stuff if you think about it." - Greg Winn, Telstra's operations chief, February 15, 2007

? "Consumers are not used to paying another couple hundred bucks more just because Apple makes a cool product. Some fans will buy [iPhone], but for the rest of us it's a hard pill to swallow just to have the coolest thing." - Neil Strother, NPD Group analyst, January 22, 2007

? "I can?t believe the hype being given to iPhone... I just have to wonder who will want one of these things (other than the religious faithful)... So please mark this post and come back in two years to see the results of my prediction: I predict they will not sell anywhere near the 10M Jobs predicts for 2008." - Richard Sprague, Microsoft Senior Marketing Director, January 18, 2007

? "The iPhone's willful disregard of the global handset market will come back to haunt Apple." - Tero Kuittinen, RealMoney.com, January 18, 2007

? "[Apple's iPhone] is the most expensive phone in the world and it doesn't appeal to business customers because it doesn't have a keyboard which makes it not a very good email machine... So, I, I kinda look at that and I say, well, I like our strategy. I like it a lot." - Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO, January 17, 2007

? "The iPhone is nothing more than a luxury bauble that will appeal to a few gadget freaks. In terms of its impact on the industry, the iPhone is less relevant... Apple is unlikely to make much of an impact on this market... Apple will sell a few to its fans, but the iPhone won't make a long-term mark on the industry." - Matthew Lynn, Bloomberg, January 15, 2007

? "iPhone which doesn't look, I mean to me, I'm looking at this thing and I think it's kind of trending against, you know, what's really going, what people are really liking on, in these phones nowadays, which are those little keypads. I mean, the Blackjack from Samsung, the Blackberry, obviously, you know kind of pushes this thing, the Palm, all these... And I guess some of these stocks went down on the Apple announcement, thinking that Apple could do no wrong, but I think Apple can do wrong and I think this is it." - John C. Dvorak, Bloated Gas Bag, January 13, 2007

? "I am pretty skeptical. I don?t think [iPhone] will meet the fantastic predictions I have been reading. For starters, while Apple basically established the market for portable music players, the phone market is already established, with a number of major brands. Can Apple remake the phone market in its image? Success is far from guaranteed." - Jack Gold, founder and principal analyst at J. Gold Associates, January 11, 2007

? "Apple will launch a mobile phone in January, and it will become available during 2007. It will be a lovely bit of kit, a pleasure to behold, and its limited functionality will be easy to access and use. The Apple phone will be exclusive to one of the major networks in each territory and some customers will switch networks just to get it, but not as many as had been hoped. As customers start to realise that the competition offers better functionality at a lower price, by negotiating a better subsidy, sales will stagnate. After a year a new version will be launched, but it will lack the innovation of the first and quickly vanish. The only question remaining is if, when the iPod phone fails, it will take the iPod with it." - Bill Ray, The Register, December 26, 2006

? "The economics of something like [an Apple iPhone] aren't that compelling." - Rod Bare, Morningstar analyst, December 08, 2006

? "Apple is slated to come out with a new phone... And it will largely fail.... Sales for the phone will skyrocket initially. However, things will calm down, and the Apple phone will take its place on the shelves with the random video cameras, cell phones, wireless routers and other would-be hits... When the iPod emerged in late 2001, it solved some major problems with MP3 players. Unfortunately for Apple, problems like that don't exist in the handset business. Cell phones aren't clunky, inadequate devices. Instead, they are pretty good. Really good." - Michael Kanellos, CNET, December 07, 2006

? "We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in." - Ed Colligan, Palm CEO, November 16, 2006
  • Reply 164 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wish this was designed for the education market. I see nothing with the tablet to date that will replace textbooks.

I think it needs to have advanced annotations for highlighting, underlining, strikethrough, etc. It needs to allow text and diagrams to be written on the page itself with and without a stylus, with a quick option to remove from view or show. It has to be always be linked to that page in the book and globally searchable. The stylus is too important in classes for writing fine points to be favoured for a sausage finger.

Prodigious response BTW, I just PM you
  • Reply 165 of 242
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

don't try convince them. Really!

I would prefer to be able to order mine and receive it as soon as possible.

If letting them have their negative ideas about the ipad means I am more likely to get one during the first batch, I want them to not like it.

hmmm good point.
  • Reply 166 of 242
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cubefan View Post

Why would we ever see Flash?, its a resource hog, and opens the door to ANY flash software no matter how indifferent the application- enabling Flash is a gateway to losing control of the platform and that's not going to happen.

As much as I have always gone on record as Pro-Flash I totally agree with no Flash on iPhone/iPad or any proprietary touch screen devices. Reason: Flash is usually very mouse hover centric and touch screen doesn't do that. And for all the reason you say as well.
  • Reply 167 of 242
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

solipsism or any other knowledgeable person, can you comment on why the ipad that includes 2100mhz would be prevented from working on the 2100mhz umts networks in the US (despite being limited in coverage)?

It doesn't look like anything in the US uses it.
  • Reply 168 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

• "[iPhone] just doesn't matter anymore. There are now alternatives to the iPhone, which has been introduced everywhere else in the world. It's no longer a novelty." - Eamon Hoey, Hoey and Associates, April 30, 2008

• "We are not at all worried. We think we've got the one mobile platform you'll use for the rest of your life. [Apple] are not going to catch up." - Scott Rockfeld, Microsoft Mobile Communications Group Product Manager, April 01, 2008

• "We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in." - Ed Colligan, Palm CEO, November 16, 2006

wish we could interview all of these people today and ask the question again about the iphone, and then ask about the ipad.
  • Reply 169 of 242
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The thing I'm disappointed in most is the camera connection kit. It seems to me they could have had one internal SD slot and one USB jack. I don't like having to keep track of adapters, and I don't like rigid lever-like tabs sticking out a device, that's too much of a risk of damaging the port.

Indeed and aren't those adapters mutually exclusive with the docks?
  • Reply 170 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It doesn't look like anything in the US uses it.

thanks
  • Reply 171 of 242
    It will happen overnight. This is the fridge / kitchen computer everyone has been waiting for. This is the in car computer everyone has been waiting for. this is the computer for every place where one does not sit down - from warehouse to the Front of House in Restaurants, etc. this is a no-brainer.
  • Reply 172 of 242
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    The iPad is a very closed device, it offers no usb ports, no access to its own file system, there's no way I can download files to the device from the web and access them. I like the direction apple has gone with this, its just lacking some key features that could have been easily implemented, sorry, but I'm going to pass on the iPad.
  • Reply 173 of 242
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member

The only link I read was the last one and nowhere does it indicate that apple products are more popular with women. Google harder, pls.

Edit: so I clicked through another couple. Popular yes.
  • Reply 174 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

? "[iPhone] just doesn't matter anymore. ..........

etc etc

..... They're not going to just walk in." - Ed Colligan, Palm CEO, November 16, 2006

Brilliant!
  • Reply 175 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

.... no access to its own file system, there's no way I can download files to the device from the web and access them......

Where did you see this? Is that confirmed? If so, can you please provide a cite or a link?
  • Reply 176 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Where did you see this? Is that confirmed? If so, can you please provide a cite or a link?

Jobs said you could save a iWork pages document as a word file and email it to a colleague using MSWORD, so it must have some kind of filesystem, or in the cloud filesystem.
  • Reply 177 of 242
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Anyone mentioned that the iPad has changeable backgrounds? Seeing how this was such a point for people to jailbreak their iPhone I thought it was an awesome addition to the OS.

That and support for wireless-n, of course.
  • Reply 178 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Are you kidding me advanced hardware? A 1ghz processor thats advanced? You can get that in any netbook. A max of 64gb of storage? NO CAM? This is 2010 remember. A 720p res? You do know we have 1080p these days.

Not to mention. No multi-tasking, no flash, poor screen choice for ebook reading too much glare.

By the way weren't you the one that said it was going to have this great new UI. Where is that? Also wasn't going to use iPhone OS, you nailed that one too. At least Ireland agreed to eat his hat.

Apple had never been accused of using advanced hardware compared to everyone else which is why we just got quad core systems in our consumer models.

Don't worry the year is still young I expect you to be wrong on the MBP processor update also.

OK, this is getting old, let me break this down once and for all. This isn't just for you, but everyone moaning about a device they haven't used

1ghz processor-Really? I thought we got past this whole "clock speed is the only thing that matters in processors" thing. Did you SEE the videos? This thing is going AMAZINGLY fast. And if the processor is only 1ghz and they are getting that, I don't see what the problem is.

Max of 64 gig storage - I think that is pretty good for something that isn't your main computer. When this comes out I am going to get a 16 gig one, as I don't need any more.

No camera - I am sorry, but why is this important? My household has 3 computers, all with built in webcams (there will be a fourth one when I get my MBP). So why does an iPad need a camera? It isn't a computer replacement and is too large to take photos or video well. And video conferencing? Sorry, but you should do that something that sits much more stable...like a laptop or a desktop...or even a netbook, but not with a tablet. It doesn't make sense. Besides, we BARELY use our webcams and I know very few that do often...just cam whores really. So Apple didn't include something that wouldn't be needed and the price got lower!

720p res - 1080p is overkill on such a small screen, most people wont be able to tell the difference. Again, a more trivial feature so it was cut out to save price. Besides, iTunes movie only go up to 720p so why should Apple sell a device that goes higher than that at the moment?

No flash - As others have said, flash is designed for mouse interface and is a resource hog. I think something like flash will come but I don't see much loss in not being able to watch Homestar Runner on my iPod touch.

No multitasking - I have not seen a mobile device do multitasking well so I don't hold Apple to do it with the iPhone OS until they can do it right. Case and point is my Blackberry. It sucks at multitasking. With only a few programs running, it begins going so slow that I have to do a battery pull. That's right, in order to reboot my phone, I have to take the battery out, wait a minute and put it back in. There is no button to do it and no first party software to do it. I have to download another program (and if my phone is running too slow, the program wont work and I have to do it manually anyways). So yeah, you can't listen to streaming radio while working on a document right now. You can still listen to your own music can't you? But this is a software fix and I have no doubt in my mind that Apple will do it and do it well. Best of all, you can actually reboot the iPhone OS devices quickly and easily! Much better than what RIM gave me.

The screen - Meh, I don't think it will be too bad, but I will conceed that some people may not like reading on it. I don't know if I will, I will have to try. But I have read on my iPod touch and I can only assume that the screen will be similar.

I think everyone needs to calm down and just relax. It is just a big iPhone. Despite what I thought could be possible, this is about what I expected and it makes perfect sense for what they had in mind. For some reason, people put this to incredibly unreal expectations and when it didn't become the second coming, they are all saying how disappointed they are. Get over yourselves. This wont be a revolution in computing, but I think it is an excellent step towards said revolution.
  • Reply 179 of 242
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starnyc View Post

Jobs said you could save a iWork pages document as a word file and email it to a colleague using MSWORD, so it must have some kind of filesystem, or in the cloud filesystem.

Every device has a file system, but not every device has file system visible to the user. Tasks such as emailing pages documents could be accomplished without an individual seeing much of the file system. However based on what I've read (and linked earlier), there will be at at least one folder visible on the iPad and on a computer when connected.
  • Reply 180 of 242
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

No multitasking - I have not seen a mobile device do multitasking well so I don't hold Apple to do it with the iPhone OS until they can do it right. .

WebOS seems to do multitasking very well from what I have seen. That said, I think you are correct about Apple doing it right. There must be something to it that we obviously dont know.