Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year

Comments

• Reply 181 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starnyc View Post

Jobs said you could save a iWork pages document as a word file and email it to a colleague using MSWORD, so it must have some kind of filesystem, or in the cloud filesystem.

Also, without some sort of ability to download/store, how do I watch movies, edit/present a Keynote, read a book......?!
  • Reply 182 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Also, without some sort of ability to download/store, how do I watch movies, edit/present a Keynote, read a book......?!

Of course you can already do this in a limited way with the iPhone/touch, the files are simply limited in the way you can see them (to the apps that actually use the files). Some seem to be expecting a file system like a Mac or Windows, without describing why they'd actually need such a thing on a device of this kind. Maybe they think it's obvious, but it's not.
  • Reply 183 of 242
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

WebOS seems to do multitasking very well from what I have seen. That said, I think you are correct about Apple doing it right. There must be something to it that we obviously dont know.

Mobile Safari does ?multitasking? too.
  • Reply 184 of 242
    Quote:

WebOS seems to do multitasking very well from what I have seen. That said, I think you are correct about Apple doing it right. There must be something to it that we obviously dont know.

You know, I haven't played much with the Web OS phones. If I dont' get a Verizon iPhone when my contract is up, I may check them out.
  • Reply 185 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Brilliant!

Did the stock hit 270 yet today?
  • Reply 186 of 242
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

You know, I haven't played much with the Web OS phones. If I dont' get a Verizon iPhone when my contract is up, I may check them out.

The OS seems fine. Its the keyboard that bothers me. It may be standard size, I wouldnt know, just seems awful small to me.
  • Reply 187 of 242
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    This is going to be a massive success.

One thing that will drive that will be developers. Once real apps are create to this thing start to trickle in, then we will see the true capability of this.

Also I think multitasking might come once the new os. 4.0 arrives. Maybe there is a reason why in 2 months they will start selling this. Apple might be putting the final touches on it.

I am buying one for sure and also can't wait for the new iPhone. Good times ahead for Apple.

Now for us professionals, please MacPro and MBP updates!
  • Reply 188 of 242
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The problem is if you want the top model with 3g you are about 170.00 away from a Macbook which can do alot more. I wouldn't fault them as much if the 499.00 model came with 32gb of storage.

If you wait a bit, I am sure it will come with 32GB for $499. Happened with the iPod touch, happened with AppleTV, happened with the Macbooks.
  • Reply 189 of 242
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:

Wall Street not liking the iPad does not a bad product make.

As Quadra has already pointed out, most analysts didnt like the iPhone as well. And we all know what a huge failure it has been.

Dont forget this is the same Wall Street that thought housing prices would climb infinitely.
  • Reply 190 of 242
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Wait until April/May.

Apple will have a tough time keeping up with demand.

Go right ahead and iCal my predicitons (or in your case, note them in Outlook.)

I'll wager about 70% of Apple forum goers are consistently wrong about Apple and its market. About nearly everything, from Apple's marketing, to "missing features" tanking a product, to Apple's sales in a recession, what they think the consumer wants (which means they're talking about what THEY want and projecting that onto everyone else), headless Macs, and a whole laundry list of additional criticisms that are not reflected in the wider market whatsoever and never will be. The reason they're here is to complain, and believe it or not, in the faint hope that (wait for it . . .) someone from Apple actually reads these forums and will in some way take their whining to heart! Or, that they can rally enough support to feel good about their wrong-headed position - because naturally, they are surrounded by like-minded complainers.

Most Apple forums goers are WRONG. They have been wrong for years now, and never actually "get" what everyone who doesn't hang out in internet forums gets without any effort. This happens every time Apple releases what they say will be a breakthrough product. Then it does spectacularly well, and these same people readjust their thinking somewhat, yet keep complaining about the same things!

Apple can sell double, triple - you name it - the number of iPhones quarter for quarter, and these same people will say: "But it won't last long", or "Apple has to hurry up and innovate" or some other nonsense. It's insane.

And it all comes down to one thing: Selfish thinking (as if their "needs" are shared by everyone) and a sense of entitlement.

Listen to Joe Average (who doesn't frequent forums and represents the vast bulk of Apple's market) for the real lowdown on Apple's products. Get out of the MS/PeeCee tech-head way of thinking.

Yes, I can probably accomplish most of these (abc or xyz) things with any netbook running Windows, and perhaps do a bit more with the same (for now.) But I'd rather not use something that looks, feels, and acts like dogshit. I kind of care about the environment in which I work. Do ya get it??
  • Reply 191 of 242
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cubefan View Post

Why would we ever see Flash?, its a resource hog, and opens the door to ANY flash software no matter how indifferent the application- enabling Flash is a gateway to losing control of the platform and that's not going to happen.

Flash is like 90% of all TV shows or streaming.

This tablet is a huge letdown.

This story sums it up well...

The Anti-Hype: Why Apple?s iPad Disappoints

The iPad is not the transformational device so many Apple enthusiasts were hoping for. It won?t turn all the content industries upside down, it won?t be your primary computing device, and it?s not even a bigger, better iPhone.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the iPad as a device to fill the gap between smartphones like the iPhone and high-end laptops like the MacBook and MacBook Pro. He said there needs to be a middle device, but it needs to be better than the alternatives at what it does. Netbooks currently fill the void, but according to Jobs, ?netbooks aren?t better at anything.? He and his colleagues at Apple believe that the iPad is.

Apple?s website and promotional video call the iPad ?magical.? We?re told the iPad is ?the best way to experience the web, e-mail, photos, and videos. Hands down.? But it?s not ? it?s not even close. It?s mighty cool, it?s super convenient and it?s very sexy, but it?s not even better than a netbook at some of those things.

This isn?t the middle device folks have been waiting for because ? and I?m using Steve Jobs?s own criteria here ? it?s not better at anything than any other device on the market. It?s a step in that direction, but the day hasn?t come yet. Here are just a few of the ways the iPad isn?t as magical as Apple claims.

It?s Not the Best Way to Browse the Web

Steve Jobs said it needs to be a better web device than the alternatives. The Apple website says it?s ?the best way to experience the web.? Some variation of that phrase is repeated several times in the promotional video Apple has released. But it?s just not true.

It might be one of the best ways to browse the web on a mobile device, but laptop and desktop computers ? even netbooks ? are still better. Most current websites were designed to be experienced on those devices with a mouse and a keyboard. Maybe the mouse isn?t necessary, but you don?t have to pop up a software keyboard to type in URLs on a netbook or laptop. Even if you lug around the keyboard dock, it will be a tad awkward moving between the keys and the screen to interact. You?re sacrificing some usability for simplicity on the iPad.

Most importantly, the iPad?s browser does not support Adobe Flash, the foundation of rich media on the web today. Adobe is planning to make it possible for Flash developers to develop apps, but it won?t work on the web.

I?ll admit that the decision not to support Flash is a logical one if you start at the right premises; Flash is responsible for countless reported crashes on Macs, and Apple can?t control it to ensure quality of experience. Apple is banking on a transition to HTML5 and CSS 3 for rich web content. While that transition has already begun, it hasn?t fully happened yet. Until it does, it?s ridiculous to call this device the best way to experience the web when one of the most ubiquitous and essential web technologies is not supported.

It?s an Unprecedented Win for Closed Computing

Many of the software restrictions that drive people mad when they?re using the iPhone are going to be just as frustrating on the iPad. All the device?s content ? apps, songs, TV shows, movies, books, you name it ? can only be processed through Apple?s iTunes Store.

You won?t be able to drag and drop or share files with other computers like you can with your laptop on your home network. You won?t be able to download a program or music file from the web and play it on the spot. You won?t be able to use any application that doesn?t meet Apple?s strict approval guidelines. It?s closed computing at its most extreme.

Unfortunately we?ve come to expect that from our smartphones. For a larger device that?s supposed to replace your netbook as a complete portable computing solution, though, this is almost unprecedented ? at least from a device that?s likely to have a great deal of influence on the market and on the design of future devices. That?s bad news no matter how you spin it.

It?s Not Really a Competitive eReader

The Kindle owns the eReader landscape right now, and the greatest expectation for the iPad was that it would bury the Kindle. While the iPad?s reader interface is indisputably sweet-looking and the list of participating publishers is promising, there are several ways it just won?t beat the Kindle.

The most important issue is the price. The Kindle costs $260; so do Barnes & Noble?s Nook and the comparable Sony Reader. The Kindle even comes bundled with free 3G network access, though it admittedly can?t do anywhere near as much with it as the iPad can.

But if you are considering the iPad primarily as a reader, that price difference is a big problem. Also a big problem: The lack of an e-ink display. E-ink doesn?t wash your face in eye-strain-inducing light like the displays on the iPhone, the iPad and laptop computers do. It?s meant to be a soft experience, just like reading a book. Without e-ink, you might not be able to tolerate spending four straight hours reading Stephen King?s latest on a regular display, cool IPS tech aside.

Finally, as impressive as 10 hours of battery life is for a multi-purpose device like the iPad, the Kindle can run in reading mode for a week without recharging ? longer if Wi-Fi is disabled. Because it?s trying to do everything, the iPad isn?t the best at anything.

It?s Not Worth It If You Have a Smartphone and Laptop

If the iPad isn?t a good option as a middle device, it ought to at least be attractive to power users and enthusiasts who already have other devices. Unfortunately, it?s not.

It?s not significantly better at anything than either your iPhone or your MacBook. It can?t be used as your daily workhorse computer on the go, because just like the iPhone?s OS 3.1.2 the iPad?s OS 3.2 doesn?t multitask. And if you already have an iPhone, you can do basic information gathering, mapping, and so on while you?re on the go without spending an additional $29.99 per month for 3G service.

Furthermore, your laptop or netbook very likely has a web cam for video conferencing, and your cell phone probably has a camera (or even video camera) for capturing images. The iPad has neither.

Since the interface is graceful and satisfying, you might want to buy it as an extra device just for the experience, but at between $499 ? $829, that?s not practical for most consumers.

The Anti-Hype

The iPad isn?t going to be a phenomenon with either netbook users or power users. It?s not better than existing devices at anything, and it?s too expensive for most people to use it as a secondary device. I might have said something different if the rumors that the iPad would be all about a new push in the content marketplace were true, but that didn?t happen. Instead, we got a cool toy.

In addition, people that don't understand that flash is more than 90% of all media content and Macs have a problem with it.
  • Reply 192 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Wait until April/May.

Well I am willing to bet you it hits 170.00 before it hits 270.00. Taking aside what the iPad can and can't do the problem is the hype was so out of control for this product there was no way Apple could produce something that would live up to the hype or for that matter the unrealistic expectations of Apple users. This is a common issue for Apple time and time again.

Steve Jobs needs to stop making everything top secret and stop being paranoid about everyone stealing his thunder or ideas. The fact is the iPad really isnt any different then what HP or MSI introduced already this year.

Apple also needs to understand not everyone in fact most do not live in an all Apple world and stop being stubborn about things like Flash. However I still stand by the fact the biggest downfall to this product is it has a processor more then powerful enough to multi-task yet the software is behind the hardware. There was no great new UI and to me the product seems rushed.

I do believe the iPad can do well but like the Touch its going to take time to catch on. It also appears its going to take time for the software to catch up to the hardware.

You can not put this in the same catagory as the iPhone because the iPhone in spite of what some said filled a very clear need. That is not so clear with this product.

The product did not even come close to meeting the hype which is why the stock dropped 4% today and is why Apple stock has not moved in over three months.
  • Reply 193 of 242
    Quote:

As Quadra has already pointed out, most analysts didnt like the iPhone as well. And we all know what a huge failure it has been.

Dont forget this is the same Wall Street that thought housing prices would climb infinitely.

The problem isn't just the analysts the problem is most users see this as a letdown. This product did not even come close to living up to the hype.
  • Reply 194 of 242
    Quote:

It will, my friend, in good time. When cash flow expectations rise to justify that level, not when analysts hyperventilate.

But losers wouldn't know.........
  • Reply 195 of 242
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Flash is like 90% of all TV shows or streaming.

This tablet is a huge letdown.

This story sums it up well...

Actually it doesn't. It sums up the perceptions of the device on the internet well. The internet said the iPhone and the iPod were terrible.

PS: Link to the article next time, don't fill the board with that spam.
  • Reply 196 of 242
    Quote:

The problem isn't just the analysts the problem is most users see this as a letdown. This product did not even come close to living up to the hype.

What hype? The hype you invented in your own mind?
  • Reply 197 of 242
    Quote:

Heh heh. My slight worry is most analysts - at least the ones quoted in the article, if anyone actually read it - seem to like the product!

(I am in the '90% like' camp, enough to tip me over in the direction of a purchase; I have no doubt though, that V2 will come out within the year, with twice the storage and much more functionality).
  • Reply 198 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Actually it doesn't. It sums up the perceptions of the device on the internet well. The internet said the iPhone and the iPod were terrible.

My floor says it will be great. The table lamp is excited, too.
  • Reply 199 of 242
    Quote:

Well I am willing to bet you it hits 170.00 before it hits 270.00.

So what?

Some people might actually see that, if your prediction came true, there's a lot of money to be made!
  • Reply 200 of 242
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The apps alone for this device will rocket it far above and beyond anything else out there and anything else that could be dreamed up *outside* The Apple App Store ecosystem. Developers will make this thing shine. The App Store's about to be taken to the next level, and the iPad is the way to experience it. And who's got all the developers lining up to produce for the iPad? Apple. These are the same ones that are already producing for the iPhone. And with the new opportunities the iPad brings, even more will come on board.

We've already seen content providers turn en masse to Apple. The iPad simply can't fail because all the goodness out there in terms of apps and interactive content will be on the iPad - either via the App Store or iTunes, or the iBooks Store. Apple is THE content distributor of our time, and they do it with ease and stlye. Which means the only complete end to end experience on mobile devices.