Can the iPad be used as peripheral to control Primary PC?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Anyone know where they got this idea from?

http://livingcritic.wordpress.com/20...tion-for-macs/

Quote:

Today Apple Revealed their long anticipated tablet. While the device is essentially a large iPod Touch, one intriguing feature is its ability to work as a peripheral device for controlling applications on your computer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    False alarm. This person was just wishing for this feature, like myself.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

Anyone know where they got this idea from?

http://livingcritic.wordpress.com/20...tion-for-macs/

There are applications on the iPhone that allow control of apps on your computer. Remote is the most common example. It allows you to control iTunes and the AppleTV over the network. There's one for Keynote too, as well as many other third party ones. If you are referring to direct control, I think there are VNC clients available. I use LogMeIn Ignition to see and control my desktop from my phone.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Thanks for the response infinitespecter. Yeah.. I am thinking of something highly interactive and responsive. Like the ultimate keyboard for your PC.. completely customizable for any application. Does dock connector have the capability for that kind of bandwidth and control?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    The dock connector uses USB 2.0, so yes it does. But most of the apps I'm referring control the PC over the network, wirelessly and there's no perceptible lag that I've ever seen.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Hmmm. interesting! The tough part might be customizing all the apps to work with a device like this. Maybe a lot of R&D involved to really utilize this capability.

Like the iWorks for the iPad. Took a year and a lot of thought and planning. It may not be something a third party developer can pull off unfortunately.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    If there is something that you really want to see, make it. From everything I've heard, programming for the iPhone OS is a breeze.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I know nothing about programming. Always wanted to learn but had no idea how to really get into it. What about actual OSX Mac programs? Can they be modified at all?

It would be cool to really change how the OSX programs function to optimally work with the iPad interface.. and then make custom iPhone apps to control the iPad interface and have them each interact with each other.. could be so awesome.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

If there is something that you really want to see, make it. From everything I've heard, programming for the iPhone OS is a breeze.

If something seems like a brilliant idea, someone will make it. If not, sell the idea to someone who can. One singular benefit of the app store in it's current guise.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

There are applications on the iPhone that allow control of apps on your computer. Remote is the most common example. It allows you to control iTunes and the AppleTV over the network. There's one for Keynote too, as well as many other third party ones. If you are referring to direct control, I think there are VNC clients available. I use LogMeIn Ignition to see and control my desktop from my phone.

I personally like air mouse on my iPhone. I can only imagine what they could come up with for a tablet. Even as is, that app would turn the whole screen into a multitouch trackpad as just one of many features.

VNC apps would definitely be more usable on a tablet too.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I bought Jaadu VNC for the iPhone. Great app and It would be incredibly useful on the iPad. I already use it to just grab stuff on my computer from time to time when I'm out.