Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year

Comments

• Reply 201 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

What hype? The hype you invented in your own mind?

Exactly.
  • Reply 202 of 242
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Hit quick reply by accident

nice sig
  • Reply 203 of 242
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The market doesn't agree with those numbers. And what was the predicted number before the release? Wasn't it well over 10 million?

I doubt even you can agree with your prediction that this product was going to change the landscape of Slate computing and take over notebooks.

The fact still remains even after this "major" offering Tablets are simply very small segment of the market and will remain so.

the market said $1000 dollars

it is $ 600

the tablet has no market

next year it will be tiny

in 5 yrs it will be monster

and apple will sell 10 million this yr
  • Reply 204 of 242
    ggfggf Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The thing I'm disappointed in most is the camera connection kit. It seems to me they could have had one internal SD slot and one USB jack. I don't like having to keep track of adapters, and I don't like rigid lever-like tabs sticking out a device, that's too much of a risk of damaging the port.

Reality is very few people will use the camera connection kit unless they are traveling and fillup the camera (with multi GB chips in most cameras that is a lot of photos). Most will load the photos on their desktop and synch to the iPad. Down the track camera with wifi will become more common and will synch wirelessly. plugs and slots are old technology
  • Reply 205 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

the market said $1000 dollars

it is $ 600

the tablet has no market

next year it will be tiny

in 5 yrs it will be monster

and apple will sell 10 million this yr

I can agree with 5 years.
  • Reply 206 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It will, my friend, in good time. When cash flow expectations rise to justify that level, not when analysts hyperventilate.

But losers wouldn't know.........

Yeah I have been hearing that for a while now. The analysts aren't the ones putting this device down, the users are. Big difference. So you going to take my bet 170 before 270? The loser has to leave the forum.
  • Reply 207 of 242
    Quote:

What hype? The hype you invented in your own mind?

No I was actually one of the few realistic ones that said from the start this was going to be nothing more then a large iPod Touch. It was thel local fanboys that thought it was going to change the world of computing. You know guys like Quadra saying Slate computing is going to be the end of notebooks.
  • Reply 208 of 242
    Quote:

Yeah I have been hearing that for a while now. The analysts aren't the ones putting this device down, the users are. Big difference. So you going to take my bet 170 before 270? The loser has to leave the forum.

Only if you're shorting the stock. It's called putting your money where your mouth is.

Quote:

No I was actually one of the few realistic ones that said from the start this was going to be nothing more then a large iPod Touch. It was thel local fanboys that thought it was going to change the world of computing. You know guys like Quadra saying Slate computing is going to be the end of notebooks.

We don't know what it's going to do, since not a single one has been sold yet, but the real point is, rumors and conjecture aren't hype, they are just rumors and conjecture.
  • Reply 209 of 242
    The most Essential Ipad Accessory is an additional notebook/computer & lots of time spent transferring files to it because of no usb/memory slots or DVD/CD drive. So why not just buy a small all-in-one, lightweight notebook & save your money?
  • Reply 210 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by londoncalling View Post

The most Essential Ipad Accessory is an additional notebook/computer & lots of time spent transferring files to it because of no usb/memory slots or DVD/CD drive. So why not just buy a small all-in-one, lightweight notebook & save your money?

Like a Mac Book? Apple wants you to buy both. The iPad isn't a notebook/laptop replacement. It will be a netbook killer, though.

Aren't files going to be transferred through iTunes?
  • Reply 211 of 242
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Because netbooks don't run OS X or any OS made by Apple (meaning their interface sucks ass), and they look like crap and feel like crap. And no touch capability. I like my tools to not be disgusting.
  • Reply 212 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Flash is like 90% of all TV shows or streaming.

This tablet is a huge letdown.

Flash is never coming to the iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. Ever. It's not a technical limitation, its a conscious choice by Apple. And what are you missing really? Ads? Flash sucks. Its a processor hog (especially on OS X). YouTube is already transitioning their videos to the open HTML 5 standard, which the iphone/ipod touch/ipad supports. Flash is dying. Thank God.

And if it's dying on YouTube, it's dying period.
  • Reply 213 of 242
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

What is transferred from a DVD or CD these days? The apps here are going to be downloaded. Most media is available in downloadable form.

I am disappointed with the lack of a built-in SD and USB slot.

To me, it's more like you keep a desktop, and the tablet is the mobility device that syncs to the desktop, so it's tablet + desktop instead of netbook/notebook + desktop. A lot of people seem to have more than one computer these days, this lets you keep a desktop and keeps files synced, rather than worrying about the files getting out of sync when you change different files on different computers, and your calendar and contacts stay synced and coherent too.
  • Reply 214 of 242
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Flash is never coming to the iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. Ever. It's not a technical limitation, its a conscious choice by Apple. And what are you missing really? Ads? Flash sucks. Its a processor hog (especially on OS X). YouTube is already transitioning their videos to the open HTML 5 standard, which the iphone/ipod touch/ipad supports. Flash is dying. Thank God.

Not missing much (without Flash) except a bunch of free video, if you into video. Who says Flash is dying on YouTube (besides a bunch of angry folk on a Apple forum)? Sounds like they are offering an HTML 5 option but it is still there, and everywhere else including Disney.com which Steve Jobs sits on the board.
  • Reply 215 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

because a netbook has a lot more features

i was at a tech conference a few months ago and some of the IT people had netbooks. before it started they VPN'd into their corporate network to check things. on a netbook you can load any VPN client and all the management software you want. you can also install MS Office

as a consumer i'll take a netbook since i can install software on it. i can install the steam client and download my games like civilization 4. i can install flash so my wife can play farmville along with 50 million other people. i can watch Hulu via the browser or install the client. no need to pay itunes to watch TV.

iphone is still the best smartphone, but the ipad is a big let down. less features, higher cost and too many limitations

While I Firmly believe a person should get what fits their specific needs, I think this post points toward a common myopic view. Most people don't attend tech conferences and I'm not sure what what VPN is or why I want software management tools for VPN. IT professionals do awesome work and have helped bring in the digital age, but god help us if they they think they can design things without spending considerable time studying design and maybe going to conferences focused on just that. While I can understand why this product isn't something you would find useful, i think with all of the software already available and more powerful ones to come that many millions of people will choose the ipad. The only thing on your post that I think translates to a larger audiance is the game farmville. I don't check my facebook account too often but every time I do it's filled with updates on my friends farms and exhortations for help. That game is insanely popular.
  • Reply 216 of 242
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Flash is not dying...in many professional fields it's THE tool for interactive web stuff. Yes on Macs made before a few years ago it brings the Mac to its knees pathetically. Adobe and Apple need to stop being idiots and play nice and get it on iPhone for both of their sakes. It's one of the most glaring negatives of the iPhone and especially the iPad. I really don't get why Adobe doesn't optimize Flash for Mac and iPhone. Apple probably didn't want to see iPhone slow to a standstill because Flash is programmed so terribly on Mac. But perhaps Adobe was pissed because Apple released a competitor Lightroom or something. It seems Apple and Adobe's relationship has deteriorated...
  • Reply 217 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

because a netbook has a lot more features

Anyone can shove a bunch features into a shell and call it a day. Apple has a different philosophy, which has been astoundingly successful. That hasn't changed.
  • Reply 218 of 242
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Flash is not dying...in many professional fields it's THE tool for interactive web stuff. Yes on Macs made before a few years ago it brings the Mac to its knees pathetically. Adobe and Apple need to stop being idiots and play nice and get it on iPhone for both of their sakes. It's one of the most glaring negatives of the iPhone and especially the iPad. I really don't get why Adobe doesn't optimize Flash for Mac and iPhone. Apple probably didn't want to see iPhone slow to a standstill because Flash is programmed so terribly on Mac. But perhaps Adobe was pissed because Apple released a competitor Lightroom or something. It seems Apple and Adobe's relationship has deteriorated...

Flash for streaming is certainly dying as the standard. There are just too many big players with deep pockets pushing HTML'w open streaming for Flash to survive. With MS attacked them with the Silverlight plug-in make sit considerably more difficult for Adobe to focus., but the groundwork in laid. 2 years the main sites will defaults to HTTML5 video and Google have then punched all of their Flash from their site by then. THe timelines can change, but the trends can nt. Those are solid.
  • Reply 219 of 242
    Quote:

You can forecast stock prices?

Now I see you're a fool too. End of story.
  • Reply 220 of 242
    Quote:

Only if you're shorting the stock. It's called putting your money where your mouth is.

Spot on. IMHO, time to stop wasting our collective breath with twits and trolls.