iPad's custom Apple A4 processor includes ARM-based CPU, GPU

Comments

• Reply 61 of 198
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

In the USA paper isn't A4 it's US Letter. the A B etc. paper sizes are European and not used here, we still have inches and F° Temp and no decent Health care

It's not the same size as the tablet anyway.
  • Reply 62 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

C'mon dudes-

One question I have: does the CPU circuitry included in iPhones (and, presumably, iPads) support demand-paged memory management (or something similar like segmentation)?

Yes all ARM 'application' level processors have have a full MMU capable of supporting virtual memory and demand paged OSes.
  • Reply 63 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b-a-r View Post

.. I'm sorry, but this thing just baffles me. I felt seriously sorry for Jobs, watching the keynote and seeing all those webpages load with the missing Flashplayer icon. I see he's totally into it, and honestly seems to believe in it, but no camera? iPhone OS? It sucks on the iPhone, why wouldn't it suck more on a 9" screen? I guess i could see this thing being kinda cool in a classroom, for rented textbooks, etc.. but, how about a little OLED clamshell, real keyboard, 16:9 screen, blu-ray support or even an internal blu-ray drive (Shoot, while their at it, how about an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drive for all us suckers who adopted HD-DVD) Did Apple actually do any customer market research on this thing? Because i know if apple asked ANY of us about it, they'd have made something very different (or at least incorporated desired/functional features). I'd pay $900 for something like that. They've mastered overseas manufacturing for pennies on the dollar, made billions in the last few years. How about giving people a price break and offering something seriously killer??? I'm optimistic they could make up the profit loss in volume??? I love Apple, don't get me wrong, i've been fully Apple from the get-go, but this thing just seems like a rich guy's toy, about 3 years behind the times.

Ugh.. my rant is over.

Whoa! That was a rant.

First, Adobe is SCRAMBING to get on the iPhone bandwagon. But it won't be with the a mobile version of Flash Player. It will be via the upcoming Packager for iPhone, which converts ActionScript projects to *native* iPhone apps. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...ppsfor_iphone/

Second, I'm surprised that you don't think the iPad is killer. Maybe it's because you haven't held one in your hands. (I haven't either.) From what I gather, once you actually use it, you become a salivating iPad zombie. I imagine that's exactly what'll happen to me.

Funny, "3 years behind the times." That's some humor right there. The iPad is probably at least two years ahead of its time. Good luck Google, MS, Dell, HP, etc. They're sure to attempt to follow up.

Lastly, as a bunch of articles have pointed out the past couple days, the iPod got off to a pretty slow start. The iPhone got off to a slow start. The fact that the iPad can hit the ground with a complete infrastructure in place (iTunes, App Store, iBookstore) puts Apple so completely ahead of the competition that it's almost funny.
  • Reply 64 of 198
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

..Burroughs machines had true mutlitasking, multiprocessing and virtual memory before the others and championed stack-based architectures that are now in virtual machines...

Spoken like a true Burroughs salesman!

Snoop Control Unit (SCU) - "Foshizzle!" LOLOLOL
  • Reply 65 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b-a-r View Post

.. I'm sorry, but this thing just baffles me. I felt seriously sorry for Jobs, watching the keynote and seeing all those webpages load with the missing Flashplayer icon.

Also, Maybe Adobe will allow the creation of HTML5 content from ActionScript projects. With the upcoming Packager for iPhone, it doesn't seem like a stretch to imagine delivery of converted ActionAcript widgets embedded in Web pages or other content. If they can convert ActionScript projects to native iPhone apps, it doesn't seem far-fetched to imagine converting ActionScript projects to HTML5 widgets.
  • Reply 66 of 198
    These multitasking comments seem really familiar to the origonal iPhone comments

"why would anyone need copyandpaste. i dont need it and nobody has ever given me any reason why it should be in there. apple decided what was best and adding too much stuff in will slow it down."
  • Reply 67 of 198
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

These multitasking comments seem really familiar to the origonal iPhone comments

"why would anyone need copyandpaste. i dont need it and nobody has ever given me any reason why it should be in there. apple decided what was best and adding too much stuff in will slow it down."

Multitasking is nice, but it's not essential, the same was true for copy and paste. I look forward to the time when Apple implements it (I'm still hoping for it in iPhone OS 4.0 which will likely be previewed in March and be available in June), but the lack of multitasking wont be a major factor in whether or not I decide to purchase an iPad. The same goes for the lack of a camera/webcam.
  • Reply 68 of 198
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

I wonder if we'll see an iMac or MacBook running on an ARM chip in the next 6 months.

The only sure way to defeat the cloners and hackintoshes is with a hardware lock using a different processor that you make and control.
  • Reply 69 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I'm sure Apple didn't want to spill the beans on iPhone OS 4.0 before this year's iPhone rollout. It's months away, and Steve doesn't want anything to distract consumers from iPad until then.

The key word being "consumers." The iPad is aimed the big fat middle of the bell curve: people who may or may not have a computer at home already. And if they do, they probably hate having to navigate through that 1980s desktop-with-folders office-productivity metaphor. Why should casual computer users be forced to wade through such an archaic interface?

If you're a regular reader of this site, you're at one of the thin edges of that curve. Tech-savvy, opinionated as hell about hardware and software features. Up on all the latest specs, rumors, and full of pet peeves. Well, sorry, but the market is passing us all by.

It's hard to give up the old ways, I know. But not that hard. Especially when the new way is easier.

Well said, especially the first point. Expect multitasking in OS 4.0
  • Reply 70 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Multitasking is nice, but it's not essential, the same was true for copy and paste. I look forward to the time when Apple implements it (I'm still hoping for it in iPhone OS 4.0 which will likely be previewed in March and be available in June), but the lack of multitasking wont be a major factor in whether or not I decide to purchase an iPad. The same goes for the lack of a camera/webcam.

Multitasking is necessary.

For example you cant listen to a iTunes U lecture and follow along reading your e-Textbook.

Waiting for a important email? Well you can't listen to music or watch a TV show in the meanwhile.

Want to copy a great passage from a e-book and email it to your friend? oh no can't do that.

Sometimes I think Apple has lost it's fscking mind.
  • Reply 71 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Multitasking is necessary.

For example you cant listen to a iTunes U lecture and follow along reading your e-Textbook.

Waiting for a important email? Well you can't listen to music or watch a TV show in the meanwhile.

Sometimes I think Apple has lost it's fscking mind.

Sure you can listen to iTunes and follow along in <name a native app>. I just played iTunes and went through a bunch of native apps and several non-native apps. No problem.
  • Reply 72 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

Sure you can listen to iTunes and follow along in <name a native app>. I just played iTunes and went through a bunch of native apps and several non-native apps. No problem.

Should have said "follow along with the video"

Anyhow, nobody knows exactly what the iPad will do yet.

But multitasking is very essential and that was my point.
  • Reply 73 of 198
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by circuslife View Post

Yes. It's a multi-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU similar to that of NVIDIA Tegra 2

That's quoting THIS site.

Who quote another site, who are really just speculating. I've found many sites speculating in similar style but no hard facts.

Nonetheless all this sounds plausible. Anything other than ARM would make it hard to achieve performance goals while running iPhone apps seamlessly.
  • Reply 74 of 198
    Quote:

Either you have a Jail Broke iPhone or you are not telling the truth.

Either way, your posting to suggest it's native Apple software is pathetic. Google Maps, Yahoo Weather are assumed to be Apple Native because they ship with all iPhone's currently.

Lack of Flash and multi tasking for 3rd party apps says that Android's analysts projections are right.

Apple in 4th place in mobile arena by 2012-2013, depending on IDC or Gartner.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS386329550420100126

Following the path of the Mac. Jobs is more arrogant than I thought.

iPad, Epic Fail on so many levels in 2010. Steve is losing his magical touch. Must have gone with his last liver.
  • Reply 75 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Either you have a Jail Broke iPhone or you are not telling the truth.

Dude, open your non-jailbroken iPhone (if you even own one). I have a 3GS. Start any song on your iPod app. Then go to ANY other native app. (I tried everyone of my native apps.) The music doesn't stop. Now, try going to a bunch of other non-native apps. The ones that will make your music stop are the ones that use sound in some way. Or games, for obvious reasons.

It's so simple to disprove me. Why don't you try it?
  • Reply 76 of 198
    Quote:

Dude, open your non-jailbroken iPhone (if you even own one). I have a 3GS. Start any song on your iPod app. Then go to ANY other native app. (I tried everyone of my native apps.) The music doesn't stop. Now, try going to a bunch of other non-native apps. The ones that will make your music stop are the ones that use sound in some way. Or games, for obvious reasons.

It's so simple to disprove me. Why don't you try it?

I am not your Dude.

There are about a 100 thousand sites that prove you wrong as of the maxi pad magical movement). Sorry, I meant moment.

I have original iPhone and 3G with current OS.

You are not telling the truth. Multi-Tasking only works for Apple Approved Apps. Otherwise you get a a BIG ASS notice saying you have a new email, new text message, I could go on but won't.

You don't even know the difference between a notification and true mulit-tasking.

You are trained well young Jedi Apple Zombie.
  • Reply 77 of 198
    Quote:

iPad, Epic Fail on so many levels in 2010.

The iPhones was supposed to bomb, too. It got a slow start. Fast forward to 2009. They sold nearly 50 iPhones.

I wanted front-facing camera, so I'm disappointed about that. Otherwise, it looks sah-weet.

It's not a MacPad. It's an iPad. I bet it'll sell like hotcakes.

Quote:

Steve is losing his magical touch. Must have gone with his last liver.

Ah yes, when completely of ammo, resorts to ad hominem attacks.
  • Reply 78 of 198
    [QUOTE=Goocher;1560791]The iPhones was supposed to bomb, too. It got a slow start. Fast forward to 2009. They sold nearly 50 iPhones.

I wanted front-facing camera, so I'm disappointed about that. Otherwise, it looks sah-weet.

It's not a MacPad. It's an iPad. I bet it'll sell like hotcakes.

I didn't say MacPad, I said they name is will ever be remembered for, MaxiPad, iTampon I could go on again but wont.

I'll bet it will have the normal MaxiPad Zombie sales and then be like the AppleTV.

There are too many devices that are being introduced for what they have not what may or may not happen with the next upgrade

If this is Steve Jobs greatest device, it should have died with his liver. Withered and not useful on a daily basis, even as a toy.

Advice. Sell Apple an pick up Google.
  • Reply 79 of 198
    Quote:

I am not your Dude.

There are about a 100 thousand sites that prove you wrong as of the maxi pad magical movement). Sorry, I meant moment.

I have original iPhone and 3G with current OS.

You are not telling the truth. Multi-Tasking only works for Apple Approved Apps. Otherwise you get a a BIG ASS notice saying you have a new email, new text message, I could go on but won't.

You don't even know the difference between a notification and true mulit-tasking.

You are trained well young Jedi Apple Zombie.

Multi-tasking means using two apps at once. Am I missing something? It's not rocket science.

I have a non-jailbroken 3GS. I have Rush playing right now in the background on the iPod app.

Here are some non-native apps I'm opening, and the music keeps playing:
    • Night Camera

• Facebook

• AP Mobile

• Tech Fuse

• UFC

• MacNews

• CBS Sports Mobile

• CBS Sports College

• College Football

• Home Budget

• Priceline.com

• PS Mobile

• Echofon

• Loopt

• Kindle for iPhone

• Chipotle

And there you go for my non-music, non-game apps. All of the above opened just fine, I could use them, and the music kept playing on the iPod app. (Now Porcupine Tree is playing.)

Regarding apps that use sound, that's a different story. The iPod app will fade the sound when those apps are opened, or when the sound-using part of the app begins. One app that shut down the iPod sound was RedLaser. When the bar code-snapping part of the app came up, my music faded out.

There you have it.
  • Reply 80 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Want to copy a great passage from a e-book and email it to your friend? oh no can't do that.

Yes you can.

Quite easily. In fact, I do it all the time, and could do it up to 99 separate passages if I needed to with Pastebot.

It is nice when you know what you are talking about. Try it you may like it.