Apple could battle Fujitsu over ownership of iPad name

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    Like I said, everyone will eventually get used to it and no one really cares about names that much anyway... I mean really... Arnold Schwarzenegger? Wii? and oh, so much more...

Actually, my main gripe with "iPad" is that it fails to distinguish itself sufficiently from "iPod". Just too close in pronunciation and consumers may be confused. I much would have preferred they chose something that was evocative of the function (like iPod), without being too literal (like iPhone).
  • Reply 62 of 96
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Just a few idea's from the top of my head that are leaps ahead of pad.

iBerg - from Gutenberg printing press

iSurf - like a media surf board or surface.

iFolio - portfolio type device

iPic - play on epic

iDeck - a board like a skateboarding deck

iZine - as in e-zine

iJoy

iDeal

Personally, if it was called a Deck, i'd be pretty impressed.

Deck computing, a deck-zine publication. Whatcha play'n on the deck?

Or even surf is better.
  • Reply 63 of 96
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCC View Post

The original iBook had nothing to do with books either. It was just called that because it's something small that you can carry around with lots of information on it. This new tablet would be a natural evolution of the iBook. It marks the next generation of their smallest notebook.

You're not reading my comments.
  • Reply 64 of 96
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Just a few idea's from the top of my head that are leaps ahead of pad.

iBerg - from Gutenberg printing press

iSurf - like a media surf board or surface.

iFolio - portfolio type device

iPic - play on epic

iDeck - a board like a skateboarding deck

iZine - as in e-zine

iJoy

iDeal

All of them are worse than iPad. Those maxipad jokes will fade, you're names are worse. All the names in the world and you managed to make it worse.

The best alternate name for this device is the simplest of all:  Tablet. It's descriptive, simple, makes sense and it's what the device has been called for years when referring to it. Just as "iPhone" was what the world called Apple's phone before it came out.

The whole iSlate and iPad names only caught on in the press very recently--Apple leaked them. The main issue I see with iPad, besides the obvious fact--which will fade with time (just look at Wii) is the fact that iPad sounds too much like "iPod". This will cause confusion in certain situations for years. Even the second best keynote speaker I know of "Jobs" called it "iPod" on stage at one stage, though I didn't see any tech blogs spot that minor blunder yet.

The plus for the name iPad is that it's easy to say, it takes little energy to spit out, just like iPod. The name will probably grow on us all.
  • Reply 65 of 96
    The name sucks. The product is right on the edge of sucking as well. At least it's not a POS Kindle...
  • Reply 66 of 96
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

I wonder how well the Fujitsu iPad has been selling?

And how well it continues to sell today with an eight year head-start?

i had no clue such a device existed until this case came up. perhaps because it's a POS device and not a consumer one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucepondo View Post

Are you that big of a mouth-breather that you don't realize that you have to pay for every lawsuit that goes against Apple (or any other company you purchase goods from that gets sued)? Really?

I want a law that enforces an age restriction of 25 years or older to post anything on the internet so I don't have to read the simplistic thoughts of every moron with internet access.

Or how about a law against posting nasty comments about folks like you are 5 years old.

and yeah, i'm talking about you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zzcoop View Post

I don't get the big deal about the name. What makes a person who is perfectly fine with words like "mousepad," "launchpad," "lilypad" or "notepad" turn into a snickering, babbling dipshit when they hear the word "iPad?"

having an emotional age of 3.

although given the jokes, I'd say that's giving most of the gentlemen here too much credit. they are more like 2. which is probably why either hasn't occurred to them that some posters might be women (yeah there are female geeks too) or if they know, they just don't care.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

They should call it an iPADD, like on Star Trek.

yeah cause trademark and patent cases are sooo much fun. lets toss in a copyright suit to cover all the IP bases.
  • Reply 67 of 96
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If Fujitsu has a registered trademark, Apple took a calculated risk in using the name knowing it could incur legal cost. Further, Apple's cost for a Trademark violation will be minimal. It likely will only be ordered to not use the name.

That's just it. Fujitsu does not have a registered trademark. They filed for a trademark and it became published for opposition on September 1, 2009.

The key point here is that Apple was going to oppose this anyway. And rightfully so. It's not that Apple owns iEverything now, but that iPad and the device it describes in the filing is far too close and likely to cause confusion with the trademarked iPod.

Don't expect to be able to market anything like an iPod with the name iPid, iPud, iPed, etc...

Unfortunately, Apple is going to win this one. They'll settle out of court quickly, quietly, and cheaply...which is a shame too, because I'd live to hear this argued in a Boston court (where both names sound like iPahd).
  • Reply 68 of 96
    How random is it that IP Application Development filed for a trademark in Trinidad and Tobago?? Im from there! not very often I see my country in a Tech news story.
  • Reply 69 of 96
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Would they have a leg to stand on, claiming that since the release of the iPod, every iAnything rips off the iPod trademark, therefore violates it? Let's be honest... Every product on the market that uses an "i" in front of it's name is ripping it off from iPod.
  • Reply 70 of 96
    Joke's over. Wasn't funny the first time when MadTV did it. Time to move on.
  • Reply 71 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Would they have a leg to stand on, claiming that since the release of the iPod, every iAnything rips off the iPod trademark, therefore violates it? Let's be honest... Every product on the market that uses an "i" in front of it's name is ripping it off from iPod.

You mean like iMac, iBook, iTunes, and all those other iProducts that existed BEFORE the iPod?
  • Reply 72 of 96
    They should have called it Dell Mini 10v. At a fraction of the price, runs Snow Leopard and way more functional. Hopefully Uncle Steve will learn something from this obese Ipod Touch.
  • Reply 73 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

is a shame too, because I'd live to hear this argued in a Boston court (where both names sound like iPahd).

Um, actually it's not. A lot of people don't seem to know their Boston accents. "AR" is pronounced as "AH" in Boston so iPod and iPad can clearly be distinguished even in Red Sox Land.

And for all the blushing preschoolers here who are so obsessed with feminine hygiene products, "sanitary napkins" is the most common term (Google if you don't believe me). "Pad" is used in the AMERICAN ENGLISH language, but NOT in any other culture, so no, the whole (rest of the) world isn't going care.
  • Reply 74 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HanSumDan View Post

Seriously?

Thatsyour argument. So I could have a product called iMasturabte and Apple could just

5 years down the line release a shit product and say I stole the name? that they can take anything AT ALL once it has an "i" before it!

Apple is a shit company who strong arm people to get what they want. Having said that.

Love the iphone and macbooks (have one of each).

In any case anyone who puts an "i" before their product is a NOB!

This forum should have a feature where posts from a member below 5 posts are automatically hidden. What do you think?
  • Reply 75 of 96
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crimguy View Post

Ditto. The name sucks. I like iBook (why not?).

Apple won't re-use a name. It's a bad idea. And iBook indicates that you open it like a book, which is why Apple's computer was called that.

I'm not fond of iPad either. I think that a suggestion of Canvas was pretty good. The "Apple Canvas". That's a pretty good name, I believe.
  • Reply 76 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HanSumDan View Post

Seriously?

Thatsyour argument. So I could have a product called iMasturabte and Apple could just

5 years down the line release a shit product and say I stole the name? that they can take anything AT ALL once it has an "i" before it!

Apple is a shit company who strong arm people to get what they want. Having said that.

Love the iphone and macbooks (have one of each).

In any case anyone who puts an "i" before their product is a NOB!

Apple did it first. Everyone else has been copying it. It simply indicated that it's a personal product, rather than a professional one. though I do think it's going to end up in medical facilities and such, kicking out Windows tablets which have been used there.

It will certainly be a big hit in education. Particularly in K-8.
  • Reply 77 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Apple shouldn't have the right to stick a letter in front of a generic word and then claim to own it..

Remember "e" How abut "x"? Apple was just copying an existing meme of putting a lower case letter first in order to appear hip. It was nothing new.

It's perfectly legit. Trademarks are allowed to use common words if the trademark is referring to a specific product, or a general class of product. It's been done before many times. It will be done again.
  • Reply 78 of 96
    Ok, enough jokes about feminine hygiene products. Show a bit of taste please.
  • Reply 79 of 96
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Since it is in many ways a large iPod (Touch) I think iPad makes sense. Yes, SNL did a skit about iPad but that wasn't all that funny if I recall. And, as another poster mentioned, I sure Fujitsu's use of iPad was meant to leverage off the iPod's success, so let them fight it out in court and see who wins.
  • Reply 80 of 96
    I surely thought that Apple would forgo this fiasco of "name calling", and just regurgitate iBook or Newton.

If it had to have a new name, Canvas or simply Tablet would have been MUCH better.

1) As much as I love Apple's products, why do they insist upon immediately creating derision when releasing new products or updates?

2) Why do they "hold back"? The hardware is almost always far superior to anything else out there, but they refuse to add a cheap camera (iPod, now the iPad).

3) Or they refuse a simple thing like 1 USB port,

4) or sucking up and allowing Flash with a "ClickToFlash"-like kill button?

5) limited multi-tasking

Those 5 points HAD to come up in meetings. I'm curious how they were shot down and why?

While I do believe that points 2-5 will be taken care of in the future, fact is, they could have done it now at the first release. The tech and engineering is there.

Point 1, which references the name "iPad"... I guess it's here to stay for better or worse. Apple will win the lawsuit.