iPad's custom Apple A4 processor includes ARM-based CPU, GPU

Comments

• Reply 81 of 198
    The funny thing is, if the tables were turned and the iPhone had multitasking and Android, WebOS, etc didn't, those who now cry "ZOMG!! iPhone (and now iPad) doesn't need multitasking!!!!!" would never stop gloating about it.

I'm always amused by the argument that having an app run in the background would destroy battery life. Yeah, by a few minutes maybe.
  • Reply 82 of 198
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

That's like saying... this new motorcycle sucks... it would be way better if it had 4 wheels, a body, 4 doors and a trunk.

• Reply 83 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

Multi-tasking means using two apps at once. Am I missing something? It's not rocket science.

I have a non-jailbroken 3GS. I have Rush playing right now in the background on the iPod app.

Here are some non-native apps I'm opening, and the music keeps playing:
    • Night Camera

• Facebook

• AP Mobile

• Tech Fuse

• UFC

• MacNews

• CBS Sports Mobile

• CBS Sports College

• College Football

• Home Budget

• Priceline.com

• PS Mobile

• Echofon

• Loopt

• Kindle for iPhone

• Chipotle

And there you go for my non-music, non-game apps. All of the above opened just fine, I could use them, and the music kept playing on the iPod app. (Now Porcupine Tree is playing.)

Regarding apps that use sound, that's a different story. The iPod app will fade the sound when those apps are opened, or when the sound-using part of the app begins. One app that shut down the iPod sound was RedLaser. When the bar code-snapping part of the app came up, my music faded out.

There you have it.

All obviously Apple Approved. Check it with the othe 139,980 apps on the App store.

Try the most popular. Try streaming any music, Pandora, LastFM and you get booted. Try typing an email and get a SMS message. If you choose to acccept. You accept, you go into the SMS and answer then go back to email after going to the home screeen.

If you are reading a story on Reuters and a message comes in from SMS or Email and you answer it, you have to go back into the App. Find the story, and then find out where you left off reading.

Epic Fail on multi-tasking on every level for a 2010 OS. Phone, Tablet, Computer or Maxi-Pad.
  • Reply 84 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Yes you can.

Quite easily. In fact, I do it all the time, and could do it up to 99 separate passages if I needed to with Pastebot.

It is nice when you know what you are talking about. Try it you may like it.

And it only costs $2.99. Add that up with a modern phone OS and that along with all the other paid Apps you have a very pathetic experience to Google and Android has all that built in.

Maybe, iMight, iTS coming in the next rev. I've heard that for years.

Other OS's offer it today for Free and have Flash, Turn by Turn Directions with Voice Free. The MaxiPad is another attempt by Apple to keep you in the closet (sorry, meant to say, in their echo system where everyone is happy and you pay out your ass for everything).
  • Reply 85 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Android's analysts projections are right.

Apple in 4th place in mobile arena by 2012-2013, depending on IDC or Gartner.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS386329550420100126

I think the iPhone 4G + iPhone OS 4.0 is going to make Android owners cry.
  • Reply 86 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The A stands obviously for Apple, and the difference between the Samsung processor inside the iPhone 3Gs and A4 is the clockspeed and the core type," the report said. "A4 runs at 1GHz while the chip on iPhone 3GS works clocked to 0,6GHz. This is one of main reasons why iPad can deliver a lively interface compared to stale iPhone one."

So now the iPhone interface is "stale"?! What a bunch of bullshit.
  • Reply 87 of 198
    Quote:

All obviously Apple Approved. Check it with the othe 139,980 apps on the App store.

Try the most popular. Try streaming any music, Pandora, LastFM and you get booted. Try typing an email and get a SMS message. If you choose to acccept. You accept, you go into the SMS and answer then go back to email after going to the home screeen.

If you are reading a story on Reuters and a message comes in from SMS or Email and you answer it, you have to go back into the App. Find the story, and then find out where you left off reading.

Epic Fail on multi-tasking on every level for a 2010 OS. Phone, Tablet, Computer or Maxi-Pad.

"Apple Approved?" They all came from the App Store. All apps on the App Store are "Apple approved," for self-evident reasons.

Funny, you started by calling me a liar. Now you want to split hairs over the meaning of "multi-tasking." Bottom line: the iPhone supports it already, though selectively.

I suspect the next iPhone OS, or perhaps the next iPhone model, will support more robust multi-tasking... as in any two (or more) apps. I imagine to pull this off, the UI will need to be reworked so that the "back to home screen" experience is replaced by an app-switching experience.
  • Reply 88 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

I think the iPhone 4G + iPhone OS 4.0 is going to make Android owners cry.

That's what I said up to iPhone 3.0 POS. Keep wishing and keep getting hand fed what Apple thinks you need. Stay in the box. It's where Apple wants you.
  • Reply 89 of 198
    Quote:

That's what I said up to iPhone 3.0 POS. Keep wishing and keep getting hand fed what Apple thinks you need. Stay in the box. It's where Apple wants you.

You seem to hate everything Apple. Why don't you just go to a Google/android/MS site? Apple products are clearly not for you. You won't find me trolling sites of tech products/companies I dislike. Maybe it is time to grow up...
  • Reply 90 of 198
    Quote:

Other OS's offer it today for Free and have Flash, Turn by Turn Directions with Voice Free..

Yet despite all of your supposed shortcomings (I happen to think none stated are) the iPhone has still somehow managed to sell 42m of these lackluster devices.

Hopefully Apple will figure this whole "phone" thing out some day.
  • Reply 91 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

"Apple Approved?" They all came from the App Store. All apps on the App Store are "Apple approved," for self-evident reasons.

Funny, you started by calling me a liar. Now you want to split hairs over the meaning of "multi-tasking." Bottom line: the iPhone supports it already, though selectively.

I suspect the next iPhone OS, or perhaps the next iPhone model, will support more robust multi-tasking... as in any two (or more) apps. I imagine to pull this off, the UI will need to be reworked so that the "back to home screen" experience is replaced by an app-switching experience.

Selectively isn't good enough for 90% of users other than true Apple Fans.

Be happy and apologetic for what Apple makes you endure.

Definition. I think 2 is relevant to my experience.

1 : to undergo (as a hardship) especially without giving in : suffer <endured great pain>

2 : to regard with acceptance or tolerance <could not endure noisy children>

intransitive verb

1 : to continue in the same state : last <the style endured for centuries>

2 : to remain firm under suffering or misfortune without yielding <though it is difficult, we must endure>
  • Reply 92 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

Yet despite all of your supposed shortcomings (I happen to think none stated are) the iPhone has still somehow managed to sell 42m of these lackluster devices.

Hopefully Apple will figure this whole "phone" thing out some day.

Too late, everyone else already has.

MaxiPad was just proof with how out of touch Apple is with what consumers want.
  • Reply 93 of 198
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drivendriver View Post

I'm very skeptical. Why would they waste silicon and power on a second core when the OS doesn't support multi-tasking?

And you don't even need multiple cores for multi-tasking.

The OS does support multitasking. Apple's own apps multitask as do a select few third party apps.

The multitasking is just not exposed to most third party apps yet.

Multiple cores allow much more efficient multitasking.
  • Reply 94 of 198
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

The "ignore" feature isn't nearly as effective if people are going to continually engage the worthless dredges of this site in back and forth, quoting them each time.

Mr. Young (for instance) has literally nothing to add to any conversation but variants on "Apple sucks" and "Apple users are losers." Do me, and these boards a favor, and go to your user CP right now and add him to your ignore list. We'll get an immediate boost in the signal to noise ratio.

Thank you.
  • Reply 95 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b-a-r View Post

.. I'm sorry, but this thing just baffles me. I felt seriously sorry for Jobs, watching the keynote and seeing all those webpages load with the missing Flashplayer icon. I see he's totally into it, and honestly seems to believe in it, but no camera? iPhone OS? It sucks on the iPhone, why wouldn't it suck more on a 9" screen? I guess i could see this thing being kinda cool in a classroom, for rented textbooks, etc.. but, how about a little OLED clamshell, real keyboard, 16:9 screen, blu-ray support or even an internal blu-ray drive (Shoot, while their at it, how about an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drive for all us suckers who adopted HD-DVD) Did Apple actually do any customer market research on this thing? Because i know if apple asked ANY of us about it, they'd have made something very different (or at least incorporated desired/functional features). I'd pay $900 for something like that. They've mastered overseas manufacturing for pennies on the dollar, made billions in the last few years. How about giving people a price break and offering something seriously killer??? I'm optimistic they could make up the profit loss in volume??? I love Apple, don't get me wrong, i've been fully Apple from the get-go, but this thing just seems like a rich guy's toy, about 3 years behind the times.

Ugh.. my rant is over.

What you want is a notebook that will cost $2,000.

Talk about this product. If it's not for you, that doesn't make it a bad product. You want a Macbook Pro with Blu-Ray from what I can see.
  • Reply 96 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The "ignore" feature isn't nearly as effective if people are going to continually engage the worthless dredges of this site in back and forth, quoting them each time.

Mr. Young (for instance) has literally nothing to add to any conversation but variants on "Apple sucks" and "Apple users are losers." Do me, and these boards a favor, and go to your user CP right now and add him to your ignore list. We'll get an immediate boost in the signal to noise ratio.

Thank you.

I will, thanks for the advice.

By the way, where is Sloppyisms. I'd expect he's come out of the coma of shock from the "Magical Moment". He has got to have some inspiring news to throw the Apple Zombies hiding in the closet until the shame has passed.
  • Reply 97 of 198
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Sure Apple hasn't come out with the UI for multitasking yet, but there's also how much RAM the iPad has (for actually running applications, not for storage). That's what is killing jailbroken iPhones from effectively running multiple apps at once, namely the limited amount of RAM. The 3GS has greatly help, by having double the amount of RAM from the previous models.

Anybody know how much the iPad has?

I"ve been asking about this since yesterday and have been trying to find info on it, but no one seems to know, as Apple doesn't list it on the tech specs.
  • Reply 98 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The screen may be larger, but the iPad uses the OS-X mobile UI where all apps run full screen by default.

Unless it's hacked, there will never be two apps on the screen at the same time on the iPad.

So while your argument makes some sense in the abstract, it's not a valid argument for multi-tasking on the iPad because there is never going to be two apps on the screen together, even if multi-tasking is added in. You will always have the full screen for each app and switch between the two. This is one of the main features of the UI design.

I agree with you for now.

But if there is anything we've learned about Apple, when it comes to design and features, never say never.
  • Reply 99 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

Reading a book and using a IM program at the same time.

Please be honest, the very fans are screaming that they don't need multitasking. But as soon as Apple will introduce multitasking in its products the same people will scream that they can't live without it.

It has nothing to do with Apple fans. The fact is that we don't NEED multitasking. But it would be nice to have.

WHEN Apple comes out with it, it will be good. Just like C/paste, it is nice to have, but I'll bet that few people use it. And don't flame me saying that you do. It doesn't matter. I know a lot of people with iPhones and Touches, and most aren't even aware that it's here now. Of the rest, a few said they use it sometimes. I've used it a grand total of two times.

I do think that multitasking will be used more, but with all the phones and Touches sold before C/paste AND multitasking, it shows that people don't need it.

Want and need are two different things.
  • Reply 100 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Thank you.

Done. Good suggestion.