iPad's custom Apple A4 processor includes ARM-based CPU, GPU

Comments

• Reply 101 of 198
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Multitasking is necessary.

For example you cant listen to a iTunes U lecture and follow along reading your e-Textbook.

Waiting for a important email? Well you can't listen to music or watch a TV show in the meanwhile.

Want to copy a great passage from a e-book and email it to your friend? oh no can't do that.

Sometimes I think Apple has lost it's fscking mind.

Do you have an iPhone or Touch?
  • Reply 102 of 198
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I think it's pretty obvious that iPhone OS 4.0 will make the tablet and the A4 much more powerful. I would say it will unlock the true tablet, as the current version is just a beta test for the real thing. With iPhone OS we will get multitasking for 3d party apps (works fine on my jailbroken touch so I can listen to last fm while browsing the web). I think that A4 is a dual core chip (software limited until iPhone OS 4.0 arrives), with a potential of scaling to 4 cores in short period of time in the future. I also think that this 1Ghz chip will have to make it to iPhone 4 as well, if only because of Nexus One.

I have a question for everyone: Do you guys think that the iPad will fall in price in gen2, or will it retain the price while getting hardware/software improvements like say a macbook or an iMac?
  • Reply 103 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Either you have a Jail Broke iPhone or you are not telling the truth.

Either way, your posting to suggest it's native Apple software is pathetic. Google Maps, Yahoo Weather are assumed to be Apple Native because they ship with all iPhone's currently.

Lack of Flash and multi tasking for 3rd party apps says that Android's analysts projections are right.

Apple in 4th place in mobile arena by 2012-2013, depending on IDC or Gartner.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS386329550420100126

Following the path of the Mac. Jobs is more arrogant than I thought.

iPad, Epic Fail on so many levels in 2010. Steve is losing his magical touch. Must have gone with his last liver.

I don't think you know what you're talking about here.

More companies are abandoning Flash every day for HTML 5 and H.264.

Mostly, what Flash is used for is watching video over the web. It isn't required for that. You might have noticed that as soon as the iPhone came out, YouTube converted over to H.264. Google Chrome doesn't support Flash either. As Apple's products continue their relentless march, more sites are dropping Flash video.

While Flash is also used for site animations, Ads etc, it can be done with Java in most cases, and that's what we're seeing happen.

I wouldn't be too believing of that prediction, they've been wrong more than they've been right.
  • Reply 104 of 198
    Quote:

I am not your Dude.

There are about a 100 thousand sites that prove you wrong as of the maxi pad magical movement). Sorry, I meant moment.

I have original iPhone and 3G with current OS.

You are not telling the truth. Multi-Tasking only works for Apple Approved Apps. Otherwise you get a a BIG ASS notice saying you have a new email, new text message, I could go on but won't.

You don't even know the difference between a notification and true mulit-tasking.

You are trained well young Jedi Apple Zombie.

You didn't respond to what he said, which is correct.
  • Reply 105 of 198
    [QUOTE=AngusYoung;1560798]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

The iPhones was supposed to bomb, too. It got a slow start. Fast forward to 2009. They sold nearly 50 iPhones.

I wanted front-facing camera, so I'm disappointed about that. Otherwise, it looks sah-weet.

It's not a MacPad. It's an iPad. I bet it'll sell like hotcakes.

I didn't say MacPad, I said they name is will ever be remembered for, MaxiPad, iTampon I could go on again but wont.

I'll bet it will have the normal MaxiPad Zombie sales and then be like the AppleTV.

There are too many devices that are being introduced for what they have not what may or may not happen with the next upgrade

If this is Steve Jobs greatest device, it should have died with his liver. Withered and not useful on a daily basis, even as a toy.

Advice. Sell Apple an pick up Google.

Don't go on with that line of name calling. It's not only insulting, it's disgusting.
  • Reply 106 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

The funny thing is, if the tables were turned and the iPhone had multitasking and Android, WebOS, etc didn't, those who now cry "ZOMG!! iPhone (and now iPad) doesn't need multitouch!!!!!" would never stop gloating about it.

I'm always amused by the argument that having an app run in the background would destroy battery life. Yeah, by a few minutes maybe.

Take a look at the reviews of those phones, and you'll find out why they have you manage your multitasked apps. It's because of slowing performance, and battery life. If you don't want to read the reviews, then you're not doing your due diligence.
  • Reply 107 of 198
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I have a question for everyone: Do you guys think that the iPad will fall in price in gen2, or will it retain the price while getting hardware/software improvements like say a macbook or an iMac?

Apple's position over the last couple years would lean towards...either.

Even if they just add new features but keep the price the same, it will seem like a price drop. Similar to the 3Gs.

Or they may add a ton of stuff AND drop the price. Like the MB, MBP, MBA, iMac.

Either way I dont think I can hold out for a refresh to get the iPad. I dont need 3G or a ton of storage so $499 is looking mighty cheap to me.
  • Reply 108 of 198
    Quote:

Selectively isn't good enough for 90% of users other than true Apple Fans.

Be happy and apologetic for what Apple makes you endure.

Definition. I think 2 is relevant to my experience.

1 : to undergo (as a hardship) especially without giving in : suffer <endured great pain>

2 : to regard with acceptance or tolerance <could not endure noisy children>

intransitive verb

1 : to continue in the same state : last <the style endured for centuries>

2 : to remain firm under suffering or misfortune without yielding <though it is difficult, we must endure>

Enough!
  • Reply 109 of 198
    Quote:

I will, thanks for the advice.

By the way, where is Sloppyisms. I'd expect he's come out of the coma of shock from the "Magical Moment". He has got to have some inspiring news to throw the Apple Zombies hiding in the closet until the shame has passed.

One more post like this and you're gone.
  • Reply 110 of 198
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I think it's pretty obvious that iPhone OS 4.0 will make the tablet and the A4 much more powerful. I would say it will unlock the true tablet, as the current version is just a beta test for the real thing. With iPhone OS we will get multitasking for 3d party apps (works fine on my jailbroken touch so I can listen to last fm while browsing the web). I think that A4 is a dual core chip (software limited until iPhone OS 4.0 arrives), with a potential of scaling to 4 cores in short period of time in the future. I also think that this 1Ghz chip will have to make it to iPhone 4 as well, if only because of Nexus One.

Personally I don't think they will drop the price for gen 2... at least on the low end, but prepare for a doubling in storage, more speed, and maybe features like a webcam or a built in card reader. I also don't think gen 2 is going to come out as fast as it did with the iPhone. Most upgrades can be done on the software side. Personally I don't expect an update for a year. Even if the price drops, waiting meant you didn't have it until then.

Another point to add is even with iPhone OS 3.2, Apple has shown that apps can be much much better on this new platform... something I've been suggesting for quite some time. I think developer support will really make this thing shine.
  • Reply 111 of 198
    Quote:

I will, thanks for the advice.

By the way, where is Sloppyisms. I'd expect he's come out of the coma of shock from the "Magical Moment". He has got to have some inspiring news to throw the Apple Zombies hiding in the closet until the shame has passed.

WOW. - That's some 'life' you've got there DUDE!

How's it workin' out for you MATE!

:-)
  • Reply 112 of 198
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]So...

Nothing really new, innovative, or 'game changing' with this Apple A4 chip, just a bit of (existing) component shuffling and badge engineering.

Regardless, I hear this puppy really flies on the iPad.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 113 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

WOW. - That's some 'life' you've got there DUDE!

How's it workin' out for you MATE!

:-)

Ok, don't be part of the problem.
  • Reply 114 of 198
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Uh, no I don't have a iPod Touch or iPhone, so I'm not quite familiar with all it's capabilities.

I was trying to illustrate a point of the necessity of multitasking and why it's important it be available on the iPad and used possibly erroneous examples.

I was going by what people say that there isn't any multi-tasking or copy and paste on the devices.

I was waiting to get a Touch if and when the capacity increased as my music collection is quite large and my iPod Classic is doing fine right now.

Unfortunately the iPad suffers too from poor storage capacity, so I won't find much use for it. Also the fact that I have to buy apps to get any basic function like copy and paste.

Perhaps when the SDXC cards of up to 2TB roll out the devices will change accordingly.

Good night.
  • Reply 115 of 198
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sidste View Post

Why multi-tasking: because I might want to. It is that simple. I could be working on a document and need to go to the web to look something up. Save the document, close it out, open safari, get my info and somehow copy it to a clip board, close safari, open iwork, open my document..... ahh, what was I doing??

.. and I might want to be listening to music, reading an ibook, and watching a movie all at the same time.

If the capability is there, activate it.

It already works that way without the multitasking people are talking about. Reading a book, listening to music while watching a movie at the same time... mmmmm. Even on a large screen that's difficult but on a 10" screen?

What you have described really is single tasking - you are still only performing one action at a time on the device. The multitasking that people are asking for is a fiction and just FUD.
  • Reply 116 of 198
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    ... iPhone will allow you to play iPod music until such time as your application requests to pause or stop the music.

If the music stops, then its because a programmer used an API to tell the phone "hey, any music that is playing, please stop. I am about to play audio that will not play cohesively with the iPod.

That is the simple fact. All other apps will not touch audio.

Anything where it stops, a 3rd party has chosen for that to be the case. Apple did not.

I hope that shuts you up AngusYoung,***** At least have some half decent facts to back it up.

And yes, I know this as a mac and iPhone developer from the start.
  • Reply 117 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

Spoken like a true Burroughs salesman!

Ha you are joking - Burroughs sales people couldn't sell anything - they were known as the Burroughs sales prevention force \

Mind you, they did have to combat the IBM-only mindset, much as Apple has to battle the MS-only mindset these days. Not to mention the dirty-tricks departments.

MCP still leaves Unix for dead and buffer overruns are completely prevented - the scourge of C-based security problems.
  • Reply 118 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Uh, no I don't have a iPod Touch or iPhone, so I'm not quite familiar with all it's capabilities.

I was trying to illustrate a point of the necessity of multitasking and why it's important it be available on the iPad and used possibly erroneous examples.

I was going by what people say that there isn't any multi-tasking or copy and paste on the devices.

I was waiting to get a Touch if and when the capacity increased as my music collection is quite large and my iPod Classic is doing fine right now.

Unfortunately the iPad suffers too from poor storage capacity, so I won't find much use for it. Also the fact that I have to buy apps to get any basic function like copy and paste.

Perhaps when the SDXC cards of up to 2TB roll out the devices will change accordingly.

Good night.

Both the iPhone and the Touch have C/paste, and have for a while now. I don't know why you would think they don't. It's not likely, with iwork being available for this, that it doesn't have it as well.

Multitasking is there as well for the phone and Touch, just not for most third party apps. Likely the iPad isn't worse in this aspect.

We don't know what OS 4 will have in late June. Multitasking is likely, but not a lock. Whether any older devices get is is also possible, but not certain.

We've been discussing this for quite a while as well. You've been around, you must be familiar with this.

There is a photo kit for the iPad, and it might work on the iPhone/Touch as well. It has two adapters. both plug into the 30 pin slot. One has a USB 2 connector, and the other one for SD cards. Whether we will be able to have storage go the other way is something we'll find out.
  • Reply 119 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

... iPhone will allow you to play iPod music until such time as your application requests to pause or stop the music.

If the music stops, then its because a programmer used an API to tell the phone "hey, any music that is playing, please stop. I am about to play audio that will not play cohesively with the iPod.

That is the simple fact. All other apps will not touch audio.

Anything where it stops, a 3rd party has chosen for that to be the case. Apple did not.

I hope that shuts you up AngusYoung,***** At least have some half decent facts to back it up.

And yes, I know this as a mac and iPhone developer from the start.

No name calling, and watch the words please.
  • Reply 120 of 198
    Quote:

If you are reading a story on Reuters and a message comes in from SMS or Email and you answer it, you have to go back into the App. Find the story, and then find out where you left off reading.

Epic Fail on multi-tasking on every level for a 2010 OS. Phone, Tablet, Computer or Maxi-Pad.

I'm afraid you fail this CS course. Go back and read my many entries on multitasking. OK, I'll explain again slowly.

What does multitasking give you? The ability to swap applications and return to the original application exactly at the point where you left off. In CS jargon it's called saving state. IPhone OS does exactly this - it's just that state is not saved in main memory, it's saved out to flash. Swapping is sufficiently fast that this does not matter. The technology of where the state is saved is irrelevant (as long as swapping is fast enough).

The other thing is to continue playing music, which you can do. Another thing is to get event notifications for incoming calls and messages, etc. It does this.

For anymore sophisticated MT, use a Mac. iPhone OS MT is sufficient at this stage. I suspect that developers will be able to supply their own daemons in the future.

Now I'll tell you what's really missing - it's garbage collection - and this will be a prerequisite before you can trust applications to hang around in memory for any amount of time.