Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Do you plan on buying an iPad?

In case you need more info on the iPad:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I will. I'm hoping that in the 60 days before they are released to the public they flesh out the multitasking support and maybe some flash?
  • Reply 2 of 59
    Build up reminded me of Y2K hype. If I need another tablet, would probably look at Lenovo U1 announced at CES.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    You betcha! 64GB WiFi & 3G at $829 and some monthly fees
  • Reply 4 of 59
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Dunno. I really like the iWork app for iPad. I could use that and that makes it 'more' than my iPhone.

Still I'm not sure that's enough to get me to break open the wallet and buy.

I really need to see one hold it and use it.

And as far as commercial success, I can see this being successful or I can see it failing. It needs specific apps that distinguish it from an iPhone/Touch, IMO, in order to attract a lot of buyers.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    I will probably get the 16gb 3g model, possibly 32gb. Hopefully Apple incorporates the LaLa tech by launch, so that all my music will be in the cloud, saving me some storage. I already use LaLa and love it. I planned on getting this years ago. I am disappointed at the omissions (no need to name, you know what they are). It is competitively priced and no one, I mean no one, saw this thing starting at 499, even if it is a big iPod touch. Very reasonable data plan as well. Extremely happy on that front. I live in Massachusetts, not far from Boston and and ATT 3g coverage, and speeds are pretty good here. When the next revision comes out, (iPad 4G S?) I will probably purchase that and give this one to my wife. Let's hope the next version gives us a front facing camera.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Yes, I think so. I don't see the need for the 3G as my Macbook Air certainly doesn't have it. I'm not putting the Air on Ebay just yet. I'll have to see if iPad really can function as a netbook replacement (I'm concerned about the lack of multitasking).
  • Reply 7 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

Yes, I think so. I don't see the need for the 3G as my Macbook Air certainly doesn't have it. I'm not putting the Air on Ebay just yet. I'll have to see if iPad really can function as a netbook replacement (I'm concerned about the lack of multitasking).

A little jailbreaky-ness can fix the no multitasking, no?
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacWhore View Post

A little jailbreaky-ness can fix the no multitasking, no?

Yeah, that's me... I r TeH 1337 haXXor!!!
  • Reply 9 of 59
    Quote:

Yeah, that's me... I r TeH 1337 haXXor!!!

After googling what that was, I lol'd
  • Reply 10 of 59
    Quote:

After googling what that was, I lol'd

I usually DESPISE lol cats (or cats of any kind), but this struck me as being pertinent and funny.

• Reply 11 of 59
    "How'd the mouse get INSIDE the computer?"
  • Reply 12 of 59
    I though more people would be going to the basic model...
  • Reply 13 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I though more people would be going to the basic model...

15/30 bucks a month, no contract = no brainer
  • Reply 14 of 59
    Quote:

15/30 bucks a month, no contract = no brainer

I don't live in the US, and our rates haven't been set yet. If they come out with something similar, I might move up.

But at 499 or it equivalent, you can't go wrong.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Uh hu. No french content so far. Time to sober up a bit...
  • Reply 16 of 59
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Please describe a scenario in which you would typically find yourself concerned over "multi-tasking."
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Please describe a scenario in which you would typically find yourself concerned over "multi-tasking."

Having a web-browser and email client open at the same time (first one that came to mind). How about web-browser and Pandora? Or Pandora and the New York Times? I can easily live without this on my iPhone, but it would be tough to sell something as a netbook replacement if it can't allow you to do two things at once.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I don't live in the US, and our rates haven't been set yet. If they come out with something similar, I might move up.

But at 499 or it equivalent, you can't go wrong.

I've been thinking that, but Apple is the master at separating great differences in value by large yet small amounts of money.

$499 for the 16g is a steal. Another $100 gets you twice that storage. Once you start thinking this way, you realize just another hundred is 4X the storage of the first model. Now you're at $700, and no 3G yet.

I'm going to need 3G on this thing as it just begs to be used, like the iPhone. And at $15/mon I can easily supplement my iPhone's 3G usage with this, without completely doubling my data costs.

You have to admit this thing has a far far greater value than an iPhone. Cost/Benefit ratio of iPad exceeds iPhone by miles. And look how well the iPhone sells?

Be prepared for lines and vast unavailability. I really hope there's an online pre-order so I can do that and forget about. I don't want anything to do with lines for this product.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I've been thinking that, but Apple is the master at separating great differences in value by large yet small amounts of money.

$499 for the 16g is a steal. Another $100 gets you twice that storage. Once you start thinking this way, you realize just another hundred is 4X the storage of the first model. Now you're at $700, and no 3G yet.

I'm going to need 3G on this thing as it just begs to be used, like the iPhone. And at $15/mon I can easily supplement my iPhone's 3G usage with this, without completely doubling my data costs.

You have to admit this thing has a far far greater value than an iPhone. Cost/Benefit ratio of iPad exceeds iPhone by miles. And look how well the iPhone sells?

Be prepared for lines and vast unavailability. I really hope there's an online pre-order so I can do that and forget about. I don't want anything to do with lines for this product.

Agree.

Maybe ATT will finally enable tethering so that iPhone could serve as iPad's internet connection?
  • Reply 20 of 59
    Quote:

Having a web-browser and email client open at the same time (first one that came to mind). How about web-browser and Pandora? Or Pandora and the New York Times? I can easily live without this on my iPhone, but it would be tough to sell something as a netbook replacement if it can't allow you to do two things at once.

Ok, let's break this down then. 1) I agree, this device, no matter how you spin it, should work a little harder than the iPhone, and that "Sandbox" mode has a future in running simultaneous iPhone sized Apps. Just wait, its coming.) 2) Why do you need Mail and Safari on the same screen at the same time? It makes both less efficient to use. Mail and Safari also run in the background (this is another phrase for, "Multitasking"), so if you need to see and focus on either, they are literally two taps away. So it can already do the first thing you want. Not even going to mention web-based email clients which can easily stay open while you go to a new page, and again, be only two taps away.

3) Pandora seems to be the only thing people can think of to bring up since July 2008 in regard to why multitasking is needed. I've never used the App. I understand it to be internet radio. Music. Talk, whatever you prefer. I have this App called iPod that takes care of all of that for me and, you guessed it, works in the background (This is called multitasking).

Oh, I also have this app called Flycast. Strangely, this is an internet radio app that gives Music, Talk, whatever you prefer........ it also has a built in Web Browser, and a way to redirect your stream into Quicktime for, you guessed it, Background play. If Pandora were aware of these possibilities, maybe they could offer something thats more than just radio.