Do we have to start worrying when it looks like Dell is going to have the cool stuff?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
AndroidCentral.com

Quote:

Despite the CEO's unwillingness to talk about the nuts and bolts of the Mini 5, we do know that it's powered by the 1GHz Snapdragon processor (isn't everything these days?) and has a 5MP camera, WiFi, Bluetooth and 3G capability. So, that's a snazzy-looking device. The question, Michael, is how much are you gonna charge us for that little slice of heaven?

This looks really nice and apparently there are loads of these types of devices popping out all over the place this year from pretty much everyone who can cobble together the pieces.

I'm impressed by the iPad but Android everywhere is a legitimate concern in my view.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I can't think of anything Dell has ever made that was cool, worked well, looked good or was well-made. Dell and all the other 2nd tier manufacturers are paper tigers. What may seem good on paper generally disappoints in reality.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I agree and the reason it disappoints is because the hardware is generally great but the software is generally Microsoft.

That won't be the case here. Android may not be superior than iPhone/iPad OS 3.2 in every fashion but it is open. It does multitask and Apple seems to not be addressing some core problems here. Everyone was forgiving the lack of multitasking up to this point due to limited ram, battery, screen size, processor power, you name it. The iPad suffers from none of those and still has the same limitations. They rewrote every core application for it but didn't add multitasking for example. This clearly isn't a problem but a design decision at this point.

People aren't asking for the sun and moon here.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Ahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Right.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

AndroidCentral.com

This looks really nice and apparently there are loads of these types of devices popping out all over the place this year from pretty much everyone who can cobble together the pieces.

I'm impressed by the iPad but Android everywhere is a legitimate concern in my view.

The article said that rumored price of the dell mini 5 was around $1000.00 If the price is anywhere near $500, this thing is dead before it goes on sale.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I think MSFT is the only one that should be worried. The zune HD failed to capture any market share and now their partners are aligning with the competition (Android). Not to mention the fact that they are playing catch-up to or falling further behind Apple's iphone, ipod touch and the new ipad.

If the dell mini 5 gains any market share it won't be long before hp and the rest of the industry come out with their own android tablet devices. Apple is the dominant force in the mobile media industry and their competition is google and not msft. They will be relegated to making a virus filled OS, office suites and being shut-out of the fast growing mobile device segment of the industry.