Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year

Comments

• Reply 221 of 242
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I can agree with 5 years.

did you ever skate the athens to atlanta skate ??
  • Reply 222 of 242
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I think extremeskater's right...170 before 270. I'm buying when it goes down again, for long. I had a feeling the tablet would suck, and that analysts would run up the price.
  • Reply 223 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Flash is not dying...in many professional fields it's THE tool for interactive web stuff. Yes on Macs made before a few years ago it brings the Mac to its knees pathetically. Adobe and Apple need to stop being idiots and play nice and get it on iPhone for both of their sakes. It's one of the most glaring negatives of the iPhone and especially the iPad. I really don't get why Adobe doesn't optimize Flash for Mac and iPhone. Apple probably didn't want to see iPhone slow to a standstill because Flash is programmed so terribly on Mac. But perhaps Adobe was pissed because Apple released a competitor Lightroom or something. It seems Apple and Adobe's relationship has deteriorated...

flash is dead

click to flash is turning flash off world wide

flash hogs bandwidth

flash slows down web pages

flash based movie players are good

quicktime x is far better

adobe fragmented flash so badly that apple puked

adobe somehow felt that its shitty boring products were so great that they could tell apple what to do !

that was 5 yrs ago

where is apple today and where is adobe today

STEVE JOBS just told us that APPLE t is the number ONE mobile device maker in the world

and apple is flash free . i guess adober is not happy about this i guess

click to flash will nail flash dead until they wise up and tell apple that they are very sorry for being so stupid

peace

• Reply 224 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I think extremeskater's right...170 before 270. I'm buying when it goes down again, for long. I had a feeling the tablet would suck, and that analysts would run up the price.

i think $184 is the basement , and apple will slowly creep up day by day and by november they should be at $255 to 262 a share .. i hope ..

right now apple is a steal at under $198

buy

BUY MORE

peace

• Reply 225 of 242
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Flash is never coming to the iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. Ever. It's not a technical limitation, its a conscious choice by Apple. And what are you missing really? Ads? Flash sucks. Its a processor hog (especially on OS X).

I think you mean only on OSX.
  • Reply 226 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

STEVE JOBS just told us that APPLE t is the number ONE mobile device maker in the world

And there you have it- the iPad is exactly that- a mobile handheld device and not a full computer and that is why we are disappointed.
  • Reply 227 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Like a Mac Book? Apple wants you to buy both. The iPad isn't a notebook/laptop replacement. It will be a netbook killer, though.

Aren't files going to be transferred through iTunes?

Apple wants you to buy anything that is an basically an extension of the iTunes store at this point - like the AppleTv and now this. Bad move Apple.
  • Reply 228 of 242
    I'm still confused at the market for a tablet computer, from anyone.
  • Reply 229 of 242
    [of note i regret the use of an offensive term here

forgive me
  • Reply 230 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Apple wants you to buy anything that is an basically an extension of the iTunes store at this point - like the AppleTv and now this. Bad move Apple.

I really have trouble (all over again) with your incessant negativity. Since being back, you've barely had a positive thing to say (which is why folks rebelled against you the first time around; you may want to keep that in the back of your mind before you post).

That said, you do have point here. I too am quite disappointed that Apple did not use the opportunity of something as significant as the Tablet to wean itself off of the shackles of iTunes.

I am really beginning to tire of the limitations of that piece of software limiting Apple's possibilities with such (potentially) ground-breaking products as Apple TV, iPhone/iPod Touch, iPod, and iPad.
  • Reply 231 of 242
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I'm still confused at the market for a tablet computer, from anyone.

This is an interesting spin-off - can't begin to imagine the rest of them - but I'm gunna enjoy the next few months.

from Giz.

VoIP

"It has a microphone. There's no reason to think it won't be able to do VoIP.

All in all, I think they've got a category-straddling winner here, but it's a bit of a gangly pseudopodal mutant at the same time. It doesn't kill the laptop or the PC quite yet, but you can at least see how Apple intends to choke the life out of those markets.

Don't like that? Better get to work on a better tablet.
    "
  • Reply 232 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I really have trouble (all over again) with your incessant negativity. Since being back, you've barely had a positive thing to say (which is why folks rebelled against you the first time around; you may want to keep that in the back of your mind before you post).

That said, you do have point here. I too am quite disappointed that Apple did not use the opportunity of something as significant as the Tablet to wean itself off of the shackles of iTunes.

I am really beginning to tire of the limitations of that piece of software limiting Apple's possibilities with such (potentially) ground-breaking products as Apple TV, iPhone/iPod Touch, iPod, and iPad.

The funny thing is - I just looked at the accessories and like them a lot. I have no idea what they cost but they are very cool looking. This will evolve eventually into something truly revolutionary but at this point I would most definitely just call it a hobby. I can see it really useful in the kitchen at some point. Don't care much for the name and think Apple should have dropped or as you like to say "wean" itself finally of the "i" moniker i.e. Kindle or whatever.

Now was that negative?
  • Reply 233 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

it is a grand slam device that re invents a whole catergory of client bought digital media

IT IS NOT even close to being MBP type computer

it is not even an iphone type device

it is a ipod touch ina large tampex case

you are pissed ?? too bad

its not for you

ome back dude

peace 9

Not pissed just wanted the smallest Mac I can get, not the largest iPod I can get.
  • Reply 234 of 242
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Like I did with the iPhone, I'm just going to wait until the second iteration of the iPad comes out. I want a camera, faster processor, and multitasking.
  • Reply 235 of 242
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the iPad will be huge as long as the software comes fast. i don't see any reason to buy this thing now but if the iWork suite and brushes are any indication of what can be done, this is going to be great.

Really? You're telling me the suite of built in Apps, which are clearly brand new versions of our favorite Apps, aren't interesting? They look like exactly what I've wanted for a quite a while. Multi touch Apps that I can actually see!

Quote:

i just worry that it was released a little too soon. the home screen on the thing looks ridiculous with a few tiny iPhone apps. it needs some sort of widgets or something on there. come on OS4!!!

I think it looks pretty darn slick. The 4 across spacing changes to 5 across when you rotate to landscape, something we needed yesterday on the iPhone (hopefully iPhone 3.2 or 4.0 has this)

Quote:

as for multitasking - everyone here is furious that it's not available, but the iPad is perfect for people like my parents - people who don't know how to use Word, but love to surf the internet, receive emails and see photos of their grandkids.

There are many ways to multi-task, and given that utterly useless sandbox mode that you're forced into when launching an iPhone app, I think its quite obvious that they hope to let you fill that screen with iPhone Apps.

Quote:

this is the perfect computer for Apple to release - it's simple. it's like the invention of GUI. [which was terrible at first for power users but is now the standard on 99.9% of computers]

Yes and its in every way different from the what they offer. Its not a replacement for the technophiles, but its not like we'd give something up anyway. Its the perfect all in one device for 90% of all people wanting to use a 'computer'.

The same 90% who honestly know nothing about the machines themselves.
  • Reply 236 of 242
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

And there you have it- the iPad is exactly that- a mobile handheld device and not a full computer and that is why we are disappointed.

I wonder if anyone has pointed this out...

...but Apple *also* make full computers. They call this line of products "Mac" and are fast, flexible and let you do all the usual computery stuff.

Alongside these computers, Apple have been known to make a line of portable consumer electronics, which are less flexible, but easy to use and popular.

Are you disappointed because this product falls on one side of this divide and not the other?

C.
  • Reply 237 of 242
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

Not pissed just wanted the smallest Mac I can get, not the largest iPod I can get.

Get a Wind and put Snow Leopard on it!

MacBookWind FTW

C.
  • Reply 238 of 242
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And why is there an implication that iPad can't use a stylus?

I have a feeling we'll see some very high-end, "executive" capacitance styli come to market. Perhaps with a pen on one end or the capacitance part of the pen cap. I can imagine a seemingly infinite number of commercial and industrial uses for this type of device, yet can't think of a single reason for my own personal use.

I also expect some heavy duty cases to be designed for more robust usage needs. I foresee the military taking a big interest in these sicne they've already found the iPod so useful. Note, perhaps coincidentally, PA Semi's biggest customer was the US military.

Absolutely!

Make a case like they have for the iPod touch in the Apple Retail stores with a stylus/scanner/camera/battery and some custom apps and where WON"T you be seeing these?
  • Reply 239 of 242
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starnyc View Post

It will happen overnight. This is the fridge / kitchen computer everyone has been waiting for. This is the in car computer everyone has been waiting for. this is the computer for every place where one does not sit down - from warehouse to the Front of House in Restaurants, etc. this is a no-brainer.

One of the first third party "killer apps" will be a cookbook (Yummy Soup?)
  • Reply 240 of 242
    I know I will be buying one.

This product is perfect for me, when I'm travelling I only do light tasks, a bit of word processing, maybe write a bit more on my book, and play a few games on my iPhone.

When I'm not travelling, I'm making full use of my 17" Macbook Pro to video edit.

The MacBook Pro is a lot to lug around just for a bit of casual work. This product opens the door for me to buy a full powered desktop to use for my video work, and have this a far more portable device to carry around, that does all the things I do when I'm travelling.

And the best part is, it won't break the bank!!

Plus lets be honest, for the first few years if you pull this out on a train its going to be like when iPods first came out, people will stare and ask questions. There was a massive hype with everyone I knew when the first of us got iPods, everyone wanted to play, or to listen. Yet people still blasted the iPod as an over-priced gimmick.

HO! Look at the iPod now, it is the industry standard.

Give it a few years and this product may well be that industry standard.

Walking around with this, I'm going to feel like I've come straight out of a Sci Fi show, which makes it sooooo much cooler! Secretly you all want to look like your favourite Star Trek/Stargate character holding a touch pad!!

Adam